Chris Christie Is a Jerk? Who Knew?

Chris Christie’s administration decided to punish the Governor’s opponents by creating massive traffic jams in a town that didn’t vote for him.

Earlier today, NorthJersey.com broke a story that several top aides to Gov. Chris Christie (R-N.J.) conspired to create massive traffic jams in order to punish a town whose mayor failed to endorse Christie’s re-election bid.

According to e-mails obtained by the publication, several of Christie’s top aides — including his deputy chief of staff and a senior executive with the state’s Port Authority — ordered lane closures on the already overburdened George Washington Bridge to get revenge against Fort Lee Mayor Mark Sokolich.

This kind of thing is obviously not a scandal when a Democrat does it. The SCOAMF vindictively closed national parks and monuments to punish voters during the Government shutdown, and the MFM had his hack. It remains to be seen if the MFM will protect their designated Republican loser favorite Republican the same way.

Update: Taking a cue from the man he helped re-elect in 2012, Christie claims he was completely ignorant of what his administration was doing and only found out about it when he read it in the papers.

1. Scandal? What scandal??
    This is how New Jersey politics has worked for like-forever. Get over it…

Actually, I thought it was quite creative…and elegantly simple.

Comment by Ted B. (Charging Rhino) — January 8, 2014 @ 1:35 pm - January 8, 2014

2. My bad on this one. I drive on (or very near) that particular piece of roadway every day. I don’t actually remember noticing the lane closures in question. Regular, ordinary GWB traffic is the stuff of legend and has its own ebb and flow that’s harder to model and predict than global climate patterns. There are times when it should be busy that I sail through, and days when I want to reroute to where I’m going via Oklahoma just to avoid that 1/4 mile of pavement (I don’t actually cross the bridge, just get close enough to see what the toll booth operator is wearing, sort of “Throw yourself at the river and miss”).

Besides, the Bridge isn’t really the Governor’s jurisdiction anyway. It’s run by the Port Authority, a bi-state principality that is not answerable to, well, anyone. They live by their own rules, for example building the only buildings in the five boroughs not in compliance with the otherwise strict and universal New York City Fire Code.

Comment by Sathar — January 8, 2014 @ 1:55 pm - January 8, 2014

3. Yes, but Chris Christie is ELECTABLE. Regardless of his corrupt, wasteful past, he is ELECTABLE. I mean, no other Republican would be able to lose New Jersey by as small a margin. Ted Cruz or Rand Paul wouldn’t even have a chance at almost being competetive in New Jersey.

Comment by Rattlesnake — January 8, 2014 @ 2:08 pm - January 8, 2014

4. According to the articles, the aides admit that they closed the lanes vindictively. Which leaves the possibility that NJ.com is lying, or that the emails were out of context; i.e. the aides were being ironic/sarcastic about taking responsibility for the lane closures.

Comment by V the K — January 8, 2014 @ 2:11 pm - January 8, 2014

5. If this is true, Christie is like Obama in that he punishes enemies. Not who we would want as a president.

Comment by davinci — January 8, 2014 @ 11:51 pm - January 8, 2014

6. This “Scandal” already appears to be over, as my state’s chief executive officer appears to actually possess some managerial skills (something that would be nice in a President), but I’ll still clarify my earlier remarks:

I finally saw a shot on Fox of what I think are the lanes in question. In that case, yes I believe they are on the state’s side of the fence, and yes I do actually drive it every day. I also did completely fail to notice any traffic beyond “Business as usual” at any point — “Random” two-hour gridlock is not the norm but not uncommon either, and probably is more significantly affected by things like how much active traffic control is being directed by Ft Lee LEOs and whether an adjacent street is blocked off for faires and carnivals.

Comment by Sathar — January 9, 2014 @ 7:14 am - January 9, 2014

7. This is nothing, …small potatoes. It’s only the Liberal MSM’s echo-chamber that make this a “scandal”.

Meanwhile a Liberal “most transparent” POTUS’ administration is;
    – recording the metadata of my web-browsing.
    – recoding and tracking both the metadata AND location of my cell-phone.
    – probably reading my e-mails.
    – photographing and storing the front-face of every piece of mail I get.
    – the ‘police authorities’ have deployed automated license-plate readers to track and record my car’s movements.
    – and probably tapping into my bank’s servers to monitor my financial transactions.

Isn’t it wonderful to be living in the ‘Land of the Free, and the Home of the Brave”.

Comment by Ted B. (Charging Rhino) — January 9, 2014 @ 11:27 am - January 9, 2014

8. @7.. maybe not your bank… but if you have ever purchased an airline ticket to/from outside of the USA, all your credit card transactions are reviewed.

Comment by TnnsNe1 — January 9, 2014 @ 2:44 pm - January 9, 2014

9. Ford Exec: ‘We Know Everyone Who Breaks The Law’ Thanks To Our GPS In Your Car – Business Insider 1/9/2014

One more reason to NEVER buy a Ford…

Comment by Ted B. (Charging Rhino) — January 9, 2014 @ 4:48 pm - January 9, 2014