This story about a public school in a poor neighborhood of Progressive-Run New York City is a litany of the failures of centralized, socialist education:
- No textbooks have been purchased for the mandatory Common Core curriculum.
- No art classes, no gym classes. Instead, the kids watch movies. Lots and lots of movies, and not even educational movies.
- Kindergartens jammed into rat-infested trailers.
- The school library is a dump.
- The principal, who takes home a six-figure salary, shows up only once or twice a week, and “works” about half a day.
- Teachers afraid to complain about conditions for fear of bureaucratic retaliation.
In short, the educrats who run PS 106 just don’t give a damn, because they get their paychecks regardless of whether the kids actually learn anything. And the Teachers Unions — loyal minions of the Democrat Party — insist that holding schools accountable is anti-progressive, an insult to the professionalism of “educators,” and, of course, racist, since dark-skinned minorities cannot possibly be expected to perform as well as the lighter skinned races.
BTW, 80% of students graduating from NYC public schools who attend city universities require remedial education in basic skills. Imagine how bad the ones who don’t go onto college are.
And now consider, this is how the Progressive Left wants health care to be run as well; by bureaucrats paid by the state with absolutely no incentive to provide quality care. This is socialized health care, a.k.a. single payer, and this is how well it works with the public schools. (Of course, the progressives will make sure to carve out an exemption for the powerful and connected, just as they give Congressional and White House employees a massive taxpayer-provided subsidy for Obamacare that ordinary citizens cannot get.)
Anyone advocating for single-payer health care should be reminded just how awful single-payer education is.