If Only He Were Living in a Normal Mainstream Pansexual Transgender Wiccan Nudist Commune

Posted by V the K at 8:56 am - February 20, 2014.
Filed under: Family,Social Issues

Olympic Gold Medalist David Wise is married with a wife and a young daughter; he attends church regularly. To NBC, this constitutes an “alternative lifestyle.”

At such a young age, Wise has the lifestyle of an adult. He wears a Baby Bjorn baby carrier around the house. He also attends church regularly and says he could see himself becoming a pastor a little later down the road.

The Mainstream Media is baffled by young 20-somethings who choose to live as adults; especially when the MFM has worked so hard to ensure they can live on their parents health insurance until age 26, stay in school until their 30’s, and delay marriage and family until the front end of middle age.

1. I am really bothered by the concept of a 23 year old being viewed as outside the mainstream for being an adult. Um 23 year olds are adults even if they act like petulant, hedonistic children.

Congrats to him on his gold medal!

Comment by Just Me — February 20, 2014 @ 10:18 am - February 20, 2014

2. Context, context, context. His “lifestyle” is only “alternative” when compared to the majority of other athletes in his sport. Which is NBC’s point. The article even says “…he’s not like the rest of the field.” When one reads the entire article, it’s a flattering portrait of a promising young athlete. Perhaps not celebratory, but it’s a good piece on him.

I get what your bent out of shape about given the typical MSM biases, but I think in the context the interpretation is wrong.

And I second Just Me’s congratulations on the medal!

Comment by Neptune — February 20, 2014 @ 10:24 am - February 20, 2014

3. Reminds me of the “Will and Grace” episode when Jack yells out at the Stars on Ice show: “…he’s the gay one.” and Karen responds: “ONE”.

Comment by fort dix mike — February 20, 2014 @ 10:52 am - February 20, 2014

4. Who said I was bent out of shape?

Comment by V the K — February 20, 2014 @ 11:23 am - February 20, 2014

5. Sorry, V the K, didn’t mean it to sound accusatory! It was the phrase that came to mind as I was typing.

Also, that was a horribly-written first phrase anyway, what with the “your” & “you’re” mix up. Ugh. Can I chalk that up to not having had my first cup of coffee yet? 🙂

Comment by Neptune — February 20, 2014 @ 11:29 am - February 20, 2014

6. Who said I was bent out of shape?

If you’re not bent out of shape, why post it here and on facebook?

He’s being compare to other snowboarders and not the entire population of 23 year olds.

Comment by Sonicfrog — February 20, 2014 @ 11:38 am - February 20, 2014

7. From the NBC article:

“””David Wise is at the top of his sport. He’s always smiling among his friends and competitors, however, he’s not like the rest of the field. He is mature.

Not to say the rest of the freestyle skiers of halfpipe are not mature, but Wise is mature far beyond his years.””””

“The rest of his field”… He’s being directly compared to his other snowboarders.

“””While the rest of his competitors are hanging with their friends, traveling the world searching for endless winter, hitting the party scenes accustom to their action sports lifestyles, Wise is hurrying home for quality time with the family. That is what sets his mental game apart from his competition. He likely has the most stable life of them all.”””

And again right there. He’s not being compared to the entire population of 23 year olds, he’s being compared to his other snowboarder friends.

Comment by Sonicfrog — February 20, 2014 @ 11:48 am - February 20, 2014

8. Sonic : If you want to parse based upon semantics, then the phrase “alternate lifestyle” doesn’t fit.

Comment by TnnsNe1 — February 20, 2014 @ 12:01 pm - February 20, 2014

9. It’s an “alternative lifestyle” for the young snowboarder crowd, just as it’s an “alternative lifestyle” for most of the young 23ish musicians that I know.

They all grow up, then it’s not “alternative” any more. Then, it’s normal.

Comment by Sonicfrog — February 20, 2014 @ 12:08 pm - February 20, 2014

10. for most of the young 23ish musicians that I know.

Bleh…. That should have been “23ish year old musicians”.

Comment by Sonicfrog — February 20, 2014 @ 12:09 pm - February 20, 2014

11. At such a young age, Wise has the lifestyle of an adult.

This is a clear statement. It tacitly says: “Wise is out of sync with his age group.” No mention of snowboarders is made.

The following qualifiers of his “adult” behavior are specified:

He (1.) wears a Baby Bjorn baby carrier around the house. He (2.) also attends church regularly and says he (3.) could see himself becoming a pastor a little later down the road.

Then there is this from the article:

Whoa!

I want to see the far beyond his years chart for maturity used to make this general pronouncement.

I can introduce you a whole lot of 23 year olds who are good fathers and husbands and have a strong work ethic and a life plan.

So, if Wise has a lifestyle that varies from the other contenders among the snowboarders, so be it. But it is an enormous stretch to proclaim that Wise is unusually mature for his age and is engaged in any type of alternative lifestyle.

The diversity crowd should be very upset with this.

Comment by heliotrope — February 20, 2014 @ 12:44 pm - February 20, 2014

12. If you’re not bent out of shape, why post it here and on facebook?

Um, because it’s an interesting cultural perspective?

Seriously… not at all bent out of shape about this; not the way you get when someone criticizes Obama.

Comment by V the K — February 20, 2014 @ 12:47 pm - February 20, 2014

13. I found the article rather complimentary and not the sneering hatchet job implied by V the K. Wise (and the article’s author) emphasize that a family is of greater value than an athletic pursuit and Wise’s priorities actually facilitate his superior skiing skills. I for one find such honest writing refreshing, even ‘alternative’.

There is a lot of complaining about media bias here at GayPatriot. We should all remember that imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

Comment by Ignatius — February 20, 2014 @ 1:05 pm - February 20, 2014

14. not the way you get when someone criticizes Obama.

Ha… Another funny one, considering I just criticized Obama in your post below this one.

PS. If someone IMO rightfully criticizes Obama, I’ll agree. If I think the criticism is off base, I’ll disagree. Had the same policy for his predecessor, and will have the same policy for whoever follows Obama into the Oval Office..

Comment by Sonicfrog — February 20, 2014 @ 1:06 pm - February 20, 2014

15. The writer could have used a phrase other than the PC formulation “alternative lifestyle”.

This is perfectly accurate, considering that one of the problems in this society are the extended adolescences of so many of the 20-35 crowd.

Comment by Jman1961 — February 20, 2014 @ 2:27 pm - February 20, 2014

16. one of the problems in this society are the extended adolescences of so many of the 20-35 crowd.

Into their 40’s and 50’s in far too many cases.

Comment by V the K — February 20, 2014 @ 3:14 pm - February 20, 2014

17. Into their 40′s and 50′s in far too many cases.

True.
    I was feeling charitable.

And to your point: this image of a certain ‘cut and paster’ who’s probably north of 40 and and what’s printed on his t-shirt that sums this up perfectly.

I wouldn’t have worn that sh*t when I was 13.

Comment by Jman1961 — February 20, 2014 @ 3:41 pm - February 20, 2014

18. Just popped off 51 candles Jman

Smooches Dearest

Comment by rusty — February 20, 2014 @ 3:57 pm - February 20, 2014

19. http://i1124.photobucket.com/albums/l569/rusty98119/Mobile%20Uploads/_20140130_140748_zpsqtbg2k6q.JPG

Comment by rusty — February 20, 2014 @ 3:58 pm - February 20, 2014

20. Just popped off 51 candles Jman

51 on the calendar.

11 emotionally and intellectually.

That’s a boatload of ‘catch up’ to play.

Comment by Jman1961 — February 20, 2014 @ 4:37 pm - February 20, 2014

21. Play is right on target. For the last 28 years (with 4 of those as a health educator and HIV advocate) I have worked as a childcare specialist and private guardian, working with severely emotionally disturbed youth from broken homes and abusive environments, neo natal care and child development centers and private homes. I specialize in PLAY. I also have 6 years under my belt as a Court Appointed Special Advocate CASA or guardian ad litem and another 6 years as a hospice volunteer working with folk in the last month/week/days.
    So I have a special place in my heart for PLAY. . .

Comment by rusty — February 20, 2014 @ 5:04 pm - February 20, 2014

22. So you’ve posted your CV.
    Big deal.

From Wikipedia:

Guardians ad litem (GALs) are not the same as ‘legal guardians’ and are often appointed in under-age-children cases, many times to represent the interests of the minor children. Guardians ad litem may be called, in some US states, Court Appointed Special Advocates (CASA).

Qualifications vary by state, ranging from no experience or qualification, volunteers to social workers to attorneys to others. The GAL’s only job is to represent the minor children’s best interest and advise the court. A guardian ad litem is an officer of the court and does not represent the parties in the suit. Training and qualifications vary from state-to-state.

Although a guardian ad litem working through a CASA program volunteers their services, some guardians ad litem are paid for their services.

Congrats on your career as a volunteer.
    While there’s nothing wrong with volunteering, per se, what does it have to do with the overgrown teenager aspect of this thread and my link to you and your t-shirt which proves my point (along with the inanity of the bulk of your contributions here)?

Your work record isn’t proof that you’re an adult; the asshole in the White House has ‘President of the United States’ on his resume, and he’s got all the maturity of a narcissistic 16 year old.

Comment by Jman1961 — February 20, 2014 @ 6:01 pm - February 20, 2014

23. I’m a bit more bothered by the headline which implies that it was his “Alternate Lifestyle” that enabled him to obtain the gold.

While it may be true that it did, I would not call it alternate, simply because of the implication to the person who doesn’t bother to read anything but the headline would get the idea that if they adopt what most would call an alternate lifestyle that it will enable them to be better at sports.

It’s kinda like supporters of the government in Iran being called “conservative”.

Comment by Craig Smith — February 20, 2014 @ 7:38 pm - February 20, 2014

24. Who said I was bent out of shape?

Congrats on your career as a volunteer.

Pressed.

Comment by On the Fence — February 21, 2014 @ 12:44 am - February 21, 2014

25. Play is right on target. For the last 28 years (with 4 of those as a health educator and HIV advocate)

Comment by rusty — February 20, 2014 @ 5:04 pm – February 20, 2014

Well, that explains why STD – and in particular, HIV rates — have skyrocketed among teenagers and young adults.

Comment by North Dallas Thirty — February 21, 2014 @ 2:25 am - February 21, 2014

26. Context, context, context. So sayeth the Sonicfrog

Yet the article also says this:

Wise•is•mature•far•beyond•his•years.

So, what, pray tell constitutes the alternative lifestyle labeling: Wise vs. the fellow snowboarders or Wise vs. the average 23 year old?

Yeah, this is pretty much a repeat of my comment @ #11, but it seems to me that when someone comes criticizing the person who wrote the post with a superiority and piety comment, that the same person might have the temerity to retract the salvo and reduce it to “I respectfully disagree.”

Emphasis on the respect part.

Comment by heliotrope — February 21, 2014 @ 9:07 am - February 21, 2014

27. Question, is Wise sufficiently different from 23 year old graduate students, 23 year olds on a career path, 23 year olds in seminary, 23 year olds in the military, 23 year olds holding down a job and married and parenting to say that he is engaged in an alternative lifestyle and mature far beyond his years?

Here is the more typical personality type that sports reporters run into when covering snowboarding, x-games, and the like. A quote from Sage Kotsenburg:

“I was eating mad snacks. Chocolate. Onion rings. Chips. We were chilling really hard. Then we fell asleep watching ‘Fight Club.’ Getting stoked, you know?”

The writer of the article also writes:

It was past 6 p.m. Saturday in a large conference room here when a free radical from Park City, Utah, named Sage, who has a brother named Blaze, and who says “stoked” like, a lot — usually between “mega,” “awesome,” “gnarly,” and “whoa!”

Of course there are grad students who behave more like sports or rock stars, and rock stars who behave more like grad students. But we are talking about what is typical in the upper echelon of the sports world, and Wise is not the typical athlete.

Probably not for that group… But for the average 23 year old snowboarder, whos life is as much about competing on (and off) the field of play, whose personality type is much more typical of young Sage than that of Fresno States Derek Carr…. Yeah.

BTW. Dereck Carr, while being groomed for the QB job, was also the typical big time party boy for his first two years at Fresno State. He got married in 2012 and is now a devout man, which, in the college football / athletic world, could be considered an “alternative lifestyle” for that subset of college attending men.

Comment by Sonicfrog — February 21, 2014 @ 2:17 pm - February 21, 2014

28. Fine.

Reconcile, please, the context, context, context with Wise “being mature far beyond his years.” Sorry, but there is no snowboarder context attached, tacit or imbedded by comparison in that proclamation.

This also brings the context, context, context of what what lifestyle Wise’s lifestyle is alternative to: other 23 year olds in general or specifically snowboarders in general or mainly Olympic snowboarders.

This parsing a poorly written article is all much ado about very little, but, then, it rises to notice when someone comes scolding about context.

Right now, the issue of misinterpreting for the sake of ideological attack by VtheK is a complete “fail” in the context department.

Comment by heliotrope — February 21, 2014 @ 3:32 pm - February 21, 2014

29. Whoa, let me jump in for a sec. The “context, context, context” comment was mine. The point of my comment at #2 was not to accuse V the K (as I clarified in #5, bad choice of words) but to note that I thought the interpretation of the article was wrong. That is to say – as you suggested earlier – I respectfully disagree even though I understand the criticism of the MSM.

Hey, I get that maybe you read it differently, and I completely agree with a couple of your examples. (As a vet, the first example I also thought of was a soldier.) IMO, that only reinforces that the right way to read NBC’s comment about alternative lifestyles, and even about “mature beyond his years”**, is in comparison to the other athletes in the field, notwithstanding the reporter’s “not to say” throw away line. I think you sort of have to read it also remembering that it’s a sportswriter, someone who likely doesn’t encounter the most mature individuals of that age all the time. I daresay that a sports reporter’s view of 23 year olds in general is probably significantly different from a news reporter who has been embedded with them in a combat unit in Iraq or Afghanistan.

** I almost typed “wise beyond his years”. Which might have been a funny pun…in another context. 🙂

Comment by Neptune — February 21, 2014 @ 5:05 pm - February 21, 2014

30. Ooops. My major, big time error.

Thus, my apologies to Sonicfrog for jumping his case for about not attending to …..

I can only plead senility, but I am saving that for later. The fact is clear that I was careless and quick on the trigger and am contrite.

I will attempt to be more responsible in my accusations, corrections and observations.

Thank you, Neptune, for giving me the wake up call.

Heliotrope.

Comment by heliotrope — February 21, 2014 @ 6:22 pm - February 21, 2014

31. Thanks Heliotrope.

I didn’t catch it either.

________________

I do want to note that, as of 2004, about 25 % of men were married by the time they were 23 years old. And the average age of males who are in their first marriage is 29.

Interestingly enough, here is an article from the Huff-Po I just came across extolling the virtues of marrying while you’re younger.

Comment by Sonicfrog — February 21, 2014 @ 6:44 pm - February 21, 2014

32. Well, hey, I just didn’t want someone else to be taking heat for me sounding like an a$$ if that’s how it came across! It’s all good. We ARE trying to exchange thoughts and ideas on an imperfect medium, but it’s worth the engagement!

Have a great weekend y’all.

Comment by Neptune — February 21, 2014 @ 8:25 pm - February 21, 2014