Tammy Bruce’s Take on the Wedding Cake Fascists

Thanks to commenter Annie. This is an angle I had not considered.

Having been a liberal “community organizer” in my past, I immediately recognized the strategy being employed. This is an effort to condition the public into automatically equating faith with bigotry.

To make faith in the public square illegal and dangerous, you need legal cases and publicity. Voila, lawsuits against small business resting on the notion that acting on genuinely held faith is bigotry per se.

Under these rules, freedom of conscience is squashed under the jackboot of liberals, all in the Orwellian name of “equality and fairness.” Here we are dealing with not just forcing someone to do something for you, but forcing them in the process to violate a sacrament of their faith as well.

Read the whole thing, and note how polite and supportive the WashTimes commenters are toward her.

1. I love this woman. In a totally platonic way, of course. 😉

I don’t agree with Tammy on abortion (she supports it in more cases than I do), but being a former gay liberal who turned away from the Dark Side, she offers valuable insight into the liberal psyche and their tactics. If she says this is a move to drive religion from the public sphere, you best listen to the purty lady.

Comment by Sean — February 28, 2014 @ 6:59 pm - February 28, 2014

2. She hits the nail on the head.

This isn’t about getting a photographer or a cake for your wedding it’s about marginalizing Christians and turning them into bigots.

Comment by Just Me — February 28, 2014 @ 7:14 pm - February 28, 2014

3. If I may be permitted to name-drop, Sean, I also love Tammy….and I sort of know her. I did some design work for her a couple years ago. And she is the REAL deal, it’s not an act. She made the same turnaround from “progressivism” as you and I did (and probably more commenters here.)

Comment by Bastiat Fan — February 28, 2014 @ 7:19 pm - February 28, 2014

4. Bastiat, have you ever heard the expression, “If you aren’t a liberal at 20, you don’t have a heart, and if you aren’t a conservative at 40, you don’t have a brain.”? Well, I haven’t had a heart for over a year now. 🙂

I never jumped on the gay bandwagon. Or rather, I did in very vague ways when I was in high school and exploring gay culture from afar. Eventually, I realized that gay people seemed to celebrate the very stereotypes they claimed to hate, and I felt like I couldn’t be myself in that world. Eventually, I realized that there were indeed gay guys who acted like regular straight guys, and that we far outweigh the liberal minority. But I still don’t like it that so many gay people swallow (no pun intended) the propaganda without another word. Do they really think that things will go back to the bad old days if the government doesn’t root out Christianity and conservative thinking?

Comment by Sean — February 28, 2014 @ 7:38 pm - February 28, 2014

5. Oh good, this was worth it’s own post. Thanks V.

Sean, by the time I was 18, I was pretty conservative. Being on your own, at that age, tends to make you that way. You learn quickly how to be frugal, to plan, to work hard. Back then there were still a lot of people who knew there was no such thing as a free lunch and didn’t expect one. I was wishy-washy on abortion until I was handed a pamphlet with pictures of buckets of aborted babies, as I walked across campus. I literally felt a spinning sensation as I wondered how I could I have been so stupid and blind. The transformation was complete. I was 19.

I don’t remember there being a gay bandwagon or culture in the school I attended. Highschool or college. There were people who were gay but noone made a big deal about it on either side. With the upheaval of deseg and then coming out of the Carter years, there were bigger issues to worry about.

Comment by Annie — March 1, 2014 @ 3:16 am - March 1, 2014

6. Things have changed, Annie. I remember at my Catholic high school that many kids in the band and choir would watch Glee. For obvious reasons, I despised the show. Hold up the scheming and catty effeminate gay kid as a good person; use the closeted, masculine jock bully as a plot device and a prop in a suicide PSA, and then drop him from the show with a fantasy of eventual happiness. Thanks Glee.

The internet and mass media have made it very difficult for people who practice a traditional denomination of Christianity to keep subversive elements out of their kids ways. I know progs like to say, “The kids should make choices for themselves,” but these shows inevitably show people who think homosexuality as a sin as callous monsters without any redeeming qualities, while “self-accepting” gay characters and their accepting gay friends live in a world a peace, love, and happiness and have wacky adventures together. As Glenn Beck said, if conservatives don’t figure out a way to compete with that, the culture war is lost. And I think he’s right: as the older generations die off, the younger generations, raised with progressive propaganda constantly in their eyes and ears, will hand the victory to the progressives because there will be no opposition that has not been marginalized.

Comment by Sean (now L) — March 1, 2014 @ 7:18 am - March 1, 2014

7. I never fell for liberalism; somehow those like me are never offered medals.

Comment by Ignatius — March 1, 2014 @ 8:53 am - March 1, 2014

8. In my opinion, gay conservatives need to start a Gays for Christians organization. We should not demand nor expect total acceptance from everyone.

Comment by SC.Swampfox — March 1, 2014 @ 10:18 am - March 1, 2014

9. Meh. That’s something for gay Christians to resolve. I’m afraid my time as a Christian altogether may be coming to an end. I just don’t see any gay-friendly or gay tolerant churches that are growing or pro-Western. Even if Catholicism changes its teaching on homosexuality to “Normally a mortal sin, but ok when the people genuinely love each other,” the Catholic Church is getting ready to abandon the West for Latin America and Africa. Even evangelical leaders are hopping on the “amnesty and open borders” bandwagon.

Comment by Sean L — March 1, 2014 @ 1:26 pm - March 1, 2014

10. just remember Sean, you can be a Christian w/o being ‘organized’ I left the ELCa years ago for ther stance on Israel. Drives my sister nuts.

Comment by The_Livewire — March 3, 2014 @ 7:11 am - March 3, 2014