“It’s our choices that make us fat, not McDonald’s”

Posted by Jeff (ILoveCapitalism) at 8:16 pm - March 8, 2014.
Filed under: Amazing Stories,Food,Health & medical,Social Issues

I do NOT recommend this guy‘s diet, but he claims to have lost 56 lbs and counting, eating all McDonald’s – all the time.

Get regular exercise and honestly limit your calorie intake, and you will moderate your weight…it’s math. (Or science; take your pick.)

1. Snappy comeback from a different argument, but it relates: “Access to guns cause crime? Yeah, just like access to spoons made Rosie O’Donnell fat.”

Comment by jimmy — March 8, 2014 @ 8:24 pm - March 8, 2014

2. From May 2013 trough the end of December I lost 75 pounds. I went from 255 down to 180 – which is what I weighed when I graduated high school. I was wearing size 44/46 jeans – I am now wearing size 32 jeans. I love it!!! More energy now than in 25 years. I started in May 2013 working with a professional nutritionist – she taught me what to eat, when to eat, and how to eat. I really didn’t diet – she just taught me how to eat healthy. My BP averages 95/55 with a sitting pulse of 48-55. All my blood metrics are in the perfect zone, needless to say my internist is happy – she is referring her patients to my nutritionist. In the beginning she had me walk 45 min. 3x per week. Now, I do aggressive strength training and cardio workouts 2x per week.

The comments and compliments I get from both male & females, known and unknown have been a real ego boost. I love it!!! The original question that started me down this path was: How many fat 85 year old’s do you ever see? The answer was “0.” I still have many things I want to do & see.

Comment by mixitup — March 8, 2014 @ 9:50 pm - March 8, 2014

3. mixitup – Hot! 🙂

Comment by ILoveCapitalism — March 8, 2014 @ 9:54 pm - March 8, 2014

4. ah yes, the Eat Less, Move More diet. Works every time.
    Now if I could just get myself to do that. ;P

To see thisEat Less, Move More in action, find a hardcore bicycle rider/racer, and watch them eat … they burn so many calories they eat constantly it seems. back in the day, I worked in bike shops and the racers ate snacks all day, and had two whoppers and fries for lunch, then an hour later were walking across the street to the store for more snacks.

Comment by JP Kalishek — March 8, 2014 @ 10:07 pm - March 8, 2014

5. I could consume 2,000 McDonald’s calories/day, and exercise, and I wouldn’t gain any weight. The fact is: I have a high metabolism and 2,000 calories (what Cisna consumed daily, which is nothing) isn’t much energy to burn off. I’ve actually gone through periods where I had been exercising and eating shitty fast food. I still FELT gross, depriving myself of an ample assortment of rich green and colored vegetables, and overloading on SUGAR. Not to mention, he’s also not supporting local businesses and agriculture (not consuming foods that are in season, made my nearby farmers), failing to encourage a more sustainable surrounding economy and submitting dependance to corporate distribution of artificial food.

By the way, does the article even mention Cisna’s starting weight? If he lost 56 pounds and started at 215, it’s a lot different than if he started at … 450 (if so, he’d only be consuming half the daily recommended calorie intake).

Some of the menu options Cisna has access to also weren’t available when Morgan Spurlock made his documentary “Super Size Me” in February 2003. The fact that Spurlock was making the documentary are what spurred McDonalds to offer items like the “Premium Southwest Salad” (found on Cisna’s menu) to counteract the negative attention that would result from his documentary.

Irresponsible journalism indeed.

You may “NOT recommend” Cisna’s diet, but the “truth” you’re shedding “light” on is missing major context and implications.

Never stop endorsing the crappy options this country has to offer! Never change GP!

:hugs:

Comment by On the Fence — March 9, 2014 @ 4:39 pm - March 9, 2014

6. OTF, please quote me the part of my post where I had denied the idea that different people might need different programs or calorie limits, based on their personal biochemistry. I can’t find it.

By the way, does the article even mention Cisna’s starting weight?

Your computer comes with a device called a “mouse” that enables you to “click” through a link or two to find the information you desire.

Which misses the point. Spurlock CHOSE to always take the super size, to overconsume calories, etc. “It’s our choices that make us fat, not McDonald’s” – was always true.

Comment by ILoveCapitalism — March 9, 2014 @ 5:04 pm - March 9, 2014

7. Spurlock shed light on a major fast food chain not offering healthier options. Said chain knew the documentary was coming out and CHOSE to counteract the bad publicity the documentary would eventually shed on them.

And 2,000 calories/day is nothing for a 280 lb man. And, again, we have NO information what his exercise regime was BEFORE he endeavored his experiment. In fact, it’s implied that he WASN’T exercising period:

“When I started that first day, I thought I was going to die. I couldn’t even walk 45 minutes carrying that (weight.)”

If I was able to stuff myself with 5,000 calories/day over a few weeks without exercising and gained 5 or 10 lbs (would be the likely scenario), and then cut down to 2,000 calories/day and started exercising, it doesn’t matter what I would consume, that weight would be gone in a week.

And, again, all of the options available to Cisna were NOT available to Spurlock.

Comment by On the Fence — March 9, 2014 @ 5:26 pm - March 9, 2014

8. All of which, OTF, neither lessens Cisna’s achievement nor touches the point of my post.

In fact, I think you just validated my point exactly. It’s a matter of (a) choice and (b) math.

To be precise, to lose 10 lbs of FAT (as opposed to water, muscle or organ tissue – the actual things that you may lose in a week-long crash diet), you would need to accumulate a deficiency of 35,000 calories while maintaining enough protein, other nutrients and activity to keep your muscle/organs up. If your daily calorie need happened to be 2500, such that 2000 gave you a deficiency of 500, then perhaps the 10 lbs of *true fat* would take you roughly 70 days? It will vary, if your body “wants” to shed muscle or organ tissue in preference to (or along with) some fat. But the math wins eventually, in some form. You’re welcome.

Comment by ILoveCapitalism — March 10, 2014 @ 8:40 pm - March 10, 2014

9. McDonald’s heard about Spurlock’s documentary and took action to address it by offering healthier menu options and protocol, some of which, as you can see, Cisna wouldn’t have been able to enjoy eleven years ago.

I applaud Cisna’s achievement. I hope he continues to exercise (as he alludes to incorporating other activities besides walking), and incorporates a diet rich in vitamins, minerals, and fiber, essential in creating excellent health and being. At some point, though, being on the McDiet, he will plateau. The bottom line is that he wouldn’t have lost that initial weight unless he exercised and was obese to begin with. But, six months later, the published author is still considered obese. His LDL was still “near optimal/above optimal” and not “optimal” (i.e. the level where everyone should and can strive to be). And while his cholesterol dropped to 170 after 90 days, it also went back up to 190 after six months to near borderline high levels.

Comment by On the Fence — March 11, 2014 @ 2:56 am - March 11, 2014