Masculinity Is Not Just An Act

It took a woman to say it, but the presumption of bitter feminists (which therefore must be treated as the Cultural Norm) that masculine traits are a pathology, and not being in touch with our feelers is a crippling handicap is misguided and socially damaging.

Christina Hoff Summers, writing on Time.com (the online version of that current events pamphlet in your doctor’s waiting room), shatters the assumptions about manhood and masculinity that form the foundation of contemporary feminist thought. To summarize the main points briefly:

1. Masculinity is not a mask, it’s how men are.
  2. Despite feminist desires to the contrary, it’s unnatural for men to act like women.
  3. Masculine behavior in boys is not a mental disorder; again, contrary to what feminism teaches.
  4. Men don’t need to express emotions to each other empathetically in order to be psychologically health.

The video below, linked by a commenter a few months back, illustrates the point quite well (and infuriates feminist YouTube commenters).

YouTube Preview Image

1. You forgot one males are hard wired to urinate standing up forcing us to sit isn’t going to make us more feminine it’ll just cause more bladder infections. And yes there are feminists who advocate forcing males to urinate sitting down. After all it’s unfair that so many of us can use the restroom so quickly and they can’t.

Comment by Catseyes — March 19, 2014 @ 10:39 pm - March 19, 2014

2. I’ll admit, I’ve had my share of freakout moments, moments where I’ve hit a wall. They’ve always fit a pattern: Basically, I’ll have a problem that needs fixing and I can’t think of a solution. My mental wheels start spinning and I panic and lose control of myself. A guy (it’s always been a guy) calms me down and gets me to identify the problem. He then helps me work out a strategy to solve the problem, which calms me down and focusses me. I then start implementing the plan and things go back to normal.

On one occasion, I remember telling the guy, who was getting touchy-feely, “I don’t need you to feel sorry for me, I need you to help me figure out what to do!”

Comment by Sean L — March 19, 2014 @ 10:59 pm - March 19, 2014

3. As it is said in anthropology circles: “Women bond by talking. Men bond by doing.”

Comment by Juan — March 19, 2014 @ 11:10 pm - March 19, 2014

4. […] Gay Patriot made my night! Just heading to bed and I got a laugh-and-a-half from the video! PLUS, I have been a fan of doc-Sommers for some time. […]

Pingback by Masculinity Is Not An Act (Plus: “It’s Not the Nail”) | Religio-Political Talk (RPT) — March 20, 2014 @ 12:44 am - March 20, 2014

5. LOL at the blogger mirroring the “bitter feminist” generalizations.

This isn’t one size fits all. You’d think a self-professed bisexual–of all people–would be the first to understand this.

Comment by On the Fence — March 20, 2014 @ 2:41 am - March 20, 2014

6. Masculinity is not a mask, it’s how men are.

As an ideal worth achieving, she’s absolutely right.

Stating it in accordance with today’s sorry reality:

Masculinity is not hasn’t been a mask, it’s how most men are used to be.

Witness one of the previous commenters in this thread…

Comment by Jman1961 — March 20, 2014 @ 4:23 pm - March 20, 2014

7. I think the way current culture wants to view masculinity as wrong is a problem.

I have two teenage boys-and when they hit puberty and the angry teen boy stage hit my first thought as a mom was OMG what’s wrong with them.

Then a very helpful mom of older teen boys talked me down and made me realize this is a normal phase.

Boys need to run, jump and use their imaginations-they shouldn’t be suspended because they want play games that involve imaginary weapons.

Comment by Just Me — March 20, 2014 @ 4:24 pm - March 20, 2014