Progressive Left Race Conference Encourages White People to Hate Themselves

Last weekend, while most of us were going on about our business, something called the “White Privilege Conference” was taking place in Madison, Wisconsin.

Built on the premise that “the U.S. was started by white people, for white people”, the conference boasts a long list of radical partner organizations, including Code Pink, The Social Justice Training Institute, and Hip Hop Congress, whose co-founder, Shamako Noble, has collaborated on projects with Public Allies, an organization whose Chicago branch was first led by Michelle Obama.

But what exactly is ‘white privilege’?

According to some of the speakers and conference goers in this video, ‘white privilege’ is a “transparent preference for whiteness that saturates our society,” and if you are white, it means “there is a whole part of you that you are not naming and you’re not understanding because whiteness is just normalized and it’s just there…”.

Long story short: It was an opportunity for white people who already hate themselves to be lectured that they deserve to hate themselves, and need to teach other white people to hate themselves.

One “educator” was moved to denounce herself, for not hating her own whiteness enough. (But also mostly, to claim, she was still morally superior to white people who don’t hate their whiteness yet).

“I have to everyday wake up and acknowledge that I am so deeply imbedded with racist thoughts and notions and actions in my body that I have to choose everyday to do anti-racist work and think in an anti-racist way.”

She argued that until white people admit they have a problem, they will not be able to fight against white privilege.

“We’ve been raised to be good. ‘I’m a good white person,’ and yet to realize I carry within me these dark, horrible thoughts and perceptions is hard to admit. And yet like the alcoholic, what’s the first step? Admitting you have a problem,”

This exercise in progressive left vanity and self-flagellation was supported by taxpayer dollars.

1. And that really is the tragedy in my view. That I should have to pay for idiots to be idiots via mandate instead of choice.

Comment by Richard Bell — April 1, 2014 @ 10:08 pm - April 1, 2014

2. I can’t help but wonder if Christianity is somehow at the root of this massive quasi-theological guilt that some white people have. The whole “I want to be good, but there’s this bad side of me that I can’t get rid of and that makes me do bad things” sounds a lot like Original Sin, especially the Reformed/Calvinist interpretation that Original Sin makes us irredeemable and loathsome monsters. It probably wouldn’t be hard to extrapolate out some sort of philosophical genealogy from John Calvin to modern “white privilege” types.

I also have to wonder if we would currently be talking about white privilege if Christianity never happened. If Northern Europeans never converted from their various pagan faiths to Christianity, would we be in this situation? There is no analogue to Original Sin in Norse religion; no primordial transgression that stains all mankind. Without Original Sin, would “white guilt” exist? If America was founded by Scandinavian Odin-worshippers, and not Christian Britons, would we be apologizing for “white privilege”?

Comment by Sean L — April 1, 2014 @ 10:21 pm - April 1, 2014

3. White Power, brutha! ;)

Comment by Jman1961 — April 1, 2014 @ 11:11 pm - April 1, 2014

4. Don’t misunderstand me, Jman. I have no love for the White Nationalists. I’ll assume you’re cracking a joke, but still. Want nothing to do with those guys.

From my investigations into Norse paganism, White Nationalists have about as much to do with actual Nordic religion as the Westboro Baptist Church has to do with Christianity: they both claim to be adherents of those religions and claim validation for their views from their faith, but their evidence is pitiful. Norsemen had no rules about interracial marriage. Indeed, their gods often married giants: to completely different groups! Long story short, White Nationalists who try to say “Odin wants black people dead” are going to have some explaining to do when they get to Valhalla.

Comment by Sean L — April 1, 2014 @ 11:42 pm - April 1, 2014

5. I’m with Sean. I appreciate the joke, the point about paganism and the willingness to yank the Left’s chain (the Left that wrongly, racially stereotypes the Right as white supremacists), but……….there is another part of me that looks at any such joke (no matter how benign the context) and says, “too soon.”

Comment by ILoveCapitalism — April 2, 2014 @ 12:37 am - April 2, 2014

6. The whole “I want to be good, but there’s this bad side of me that I can’t get rid of and that makes me do bad things” sounds a lot like Original Sin

Exactly.

But I would say more that it’s human nature to feel sinful (or to wonder about it); it comes with having an ethical conscience, period. I’ve known plenty of secular/atheist Rightists who are subject to it. The thing about lefties is they want an easy way out, a way that lets them replace God with idols of their own making that they control, and which conveniently dispense them “cheap grace.”

Comment by ILoveCapitalism — April 2, 2014 @ 12:40 am - April 2, 2014

7. See ‘indulgences’ ca. Middle Ages.

Comment by Blair Ivey — April 2, 2014 @ 2:32 am - April 2, 2014

8. I’ve been pondering the rather Christian underpinnings of Leftist thinking, especially when it comes to minority rights and oppression, and one could almost make the argument that some secularists/atheists (not all, but some) are practically a new branch of Christianity.

Think about it: Catholicism has always been a very ornate and symbol-driven group. Protestantism came along and said, “The symbols aren’t important, we just need God.” So what would it look like if another group said, “God isn’t important, we just need the ideas.” Sounds a lot like liberalism, doesn’t it? The brotherhood of humanity, the innate equality of man: those ideas really had their birth in Christianity. Now we can dispense with those silly supernatural elements and focus on the real essence of the faith. Liberalism is a religion with no god.

Comment by Sean L — April 2, 2014 @ 7:00 am - April 2, 2014

9. For the record, #3 IS a joke. That’s why I threw the ‘winking smiley’ at the end. I certainly understand any misgivings people have about it. Don’t worry, it’s a ‘one off’.

Sounds a lot like liberalism, doesn’t it?

Interesting analogy.

The main difference I see is, where Catholicism and Protestantism are concerned, the emphasis is put on the individual to live the virtuous and charitable life and to perform those acts of kindness or sacrifice.
    At the church of Leftism (the ‘house of worship’ being a government edifice: a state capitol building or a courthouse), the expectation to perform the alleged ‘good deed’ always falls disproportionately on those outside the church.
    The ‘deed’, however, is almost always a ritual sacrifice of the property of others, most often money, stolen from them under the rubric ‘taxes’ and dispensed under the rubrics ‘investment’, ‘compassion’, and ‘equality’.
    But one can’t be truly ‘generous’ or ‘charitable’ with other people’s money (property), can they?

Comment by Jman1961 — April 2, 2014 @ 8:46 am - April 2, 2014

10. I am beginning to get angry every time I hear someone talk about “white privilege.” It seems to me to be simply a way of saying “White Racism Because We Know It’s There Even If You Can’t See It.”

Problem is, they see it even in such situations as poor performance of only certain racial minorities not others, despite program after program to alleviate the performance, the school system being run almost exlusively by minorities, etc.

See, if you oppose the idea of white privilege, and ask them to prove it, they simply claim that it HAS to be there, because the results are not equal, even if certain minorities are EXCELLING and outdoing whites. They use it as an excuse to not provide any proof.

Comment by Craig Smith — April 2, 2014 @ 9:13 am - April 2, 2014

11. Just how does white privilege work again? It is all the old boy network where one hand washes the other? Does that make blacks who “succeed” just a bunch of tokens the old boy network lets through for grits and shins?

Booker T. Washington wrote a masterpiece entitled: Up From Slavery. White people with a “white privilege” complex should read that book carefully for two reasons. First, are they being stubbornly racist; and, second, are they feeling sorry for blacks who aren’t trying to follow the pathway to success?

I always giggle at the rage in the hood over the Indian or Korean who runs the only convenience store that dares to take on risk of being open in that hood. Why, doesn’t some white guilt person of white privilege join them? Better yet, why doesn’t a smart brother in the burbs own the store. (I can answer the last point: because he is a smart brother in the burbs and he has better things to do and places to go.)

Comment by heliotrope — April 2, 2014 @ 10:36 am - April 2, 2014

12. @ Jman: No offense taken, man. I figured you were joking, but I just wanted to make sure. Yes, Catholicism and (most) Protestant groups believe in personal salvation. But there are more modern groups that embrace cultural or group salvation: people are saved or damned based on the moral standing of their group as a whole. The idea of liberal white exemption from the guilt of white privilege sounds a lot like the Calvinist idea of the Elect: those lucky few who are going to Heaven because God just randomly picked them to be saved.

@ heliotrope: From what I have gathered, every single white person, no matter what their circumstance, is a beneficiary of “white privilege,” because the system “benefits them” far more than minorities. Never mind that whites who are accused of crimes against blacks are practically presumed guilty and colleges bend over backwards to admit black students and pump up their grade. Basically, it’s a genetic crime. A blood libel, if you will. Remember what I said about Original Sin?

Comment by Sean L — April 2, 2014 @ 11:31 am - April 2, 2014

13. I see. So if a member of a racial minority succeeds, he does so in spite of the system of White Privilege. If a member of a racial minority fails, he does so because of the system of White Privilege. And once I finally recognize my culpability in this collective racial guilt, what am I going to be required to do? I assume this is repentance without absolution, that as long as I am ‘white’, I’m a problem. Is there going to be a final solution?

Does anyone really believe this or is is this a new direction in academia and public relations in order to keep the race industry alive?

Comment by Ignatius — April 2, 2014 @ 12:10 pm - April 2, 2014

14. And once I finally recognize my culpability in this collective racial guilt, what am I going to be required to do?

All white people could don blackface and speak ebonics, but that would be…….racist.
    All white people could wear sombreros and affect an Hispanic accent, but that would be…….racist.
    Or, all white people could remain as they are, but that would be…….RACIST!
    For too many, there appears to be no winning option.

…is this a new direction in academia and public relations in order to keep the race industry alive?

We have a winner!

With one caveat: the direction is not new: this crap started up about 40-50 years ago.

Comment by Jman1961 — April 2, 2014 @ 2:55 pm - April 2, 2014

15. For some, it’s been going ona lot longer than 40-50 years:

There is a class of colored people who make a business of keeping the troubles, the wrongs, and the hardships of the Negro race before the public. Having learned that they are able to make a living out of their troubles, they have grown into the settled habit of advertising their wrongs-partly because they want sympathy and partly because it pays. Some of these people do not want the Negro to lose his grievances, because they do not want to lose their jobs. There is a certain class of race-problem solvers who don’t want the patient to get well, because as long as the disease holds out they have not only an easy means of making a living, but also an easy medium through which to make themselves prominent before the public.” – Booker T. Washington (1911)

Comment by Jman1961 — April 2, 2014 @ 2:59 pm - April 2, 2014

16. Booker T. Washington nailed it!

Comment by Seane-Anna — April 2, 2014 @ 11:29 pm - April 2, 2014