Smart car tipping

Posted by Jeff (ILoveCapitalism) at 10:52 am - April 9, 2014.
Filed under: American Youth,Social Issues

Somebody went on a Smart car tipping spree in San Francisco, in the last couple of days:

Motive is unclear. Some are trying to make it into a social-conflict story, but this fun-looking example from 2011 looks to me like young guys doing it “because they can”.

UPDATE: Ed Driscoll cites it as an example of the Luddite Left. Sorry, Ed. I know that the Luddite Left is real, but let’s not over-interpret. Smart cars are surely too lame to have inspired any serious Luddism.

1. Some of my family members visiting out there maybe? Some of them are big enough and strong enough to do that kind of thing by themselves.

Comment by Catseyes — April 9, 2014 @ 11:05 am - April 9, 2014

2. Urban cow-tipping…..

When I was in college in the late-70s, I had a 1955 vintage Triumph Roadster sports car that was TWICE left tipped on it’s side by (drunken) fratboys. Fortunately it didn’t roll-over onto it’s flimsy windscreen. but the bodywork was sort’a crumpled. Myself and the Campus Police were about to flop it back on it’s wheels and it was thankfully still drivable.

Later that Winter, someone actually stood on the hood and stepped on the windscreen bending the middle down horizontal and destroying the glass. Since I usually parked it with the top down and the tonneau-cover over the cockpit, the top and top-bows weren’t damaged.

A fun car, but it attracted to much negative attention on campus. And Gods was it cold in the Winter, no heat and only plastic side curtains with huge gaps that let the wind…and snow…in.

Comment by Ted B. (Charging Rhino) — April 9, 2014 @ 11:07 am - April 9, 2014

3. Or maybe it was just windy last night and they blew over.

Comment by V the K — April 9, 2014 @ 11:15 am - April 9, 2014

4. V, I just realized that you linked this first! Feel a little sheepish for posting on it, but I’ll justify the separate post on the grounds that the videos are fun to watch.

Comment by ILoveCapitalism — April 9, 2014 @ 11:23 am - April 9, 2014

5. I admit to a whiff of schadenfreude due to the name ‘Smart’ and anyone who would be stupid enough to buy such a death trap; I don’t think it’s merely frat-style pranksterism — the stereotype of a typical Smart owner is probably a factor. Were the car’s name something else, this might not be happening. I’ve not seen similar trending stories re. the Fiat 500 or the smaller Minis being given similar treatment.

Comment by Ignatius — April 9, 2014 @ 11:24 am - April 9, 2014

6. That’s a good point. The name could be a factor (maybe subconscious?) because of its implied message to others, “Look at you in your dumb car, dummy.”

Comment by ILoveCapitalism — April 9, 2014 @ 11:29 am - April 9, 2014

7. P.S. I also think the cars just look unattractive.

Comment by ILoveCapitalism — April 9, 2014 @ 11:30 am - April 9, 2014

8. Ted, a pity about your Roadster. That’s a nice-looking car.

Comment by ILoveCapitalism — April 9, 2014 @ 11:36 am - April 9, 2014

9. […] Written by GayPatriot […]

Pingback by Smart Car tipping - Citizens News — April 9, 2014 @ 11:47 am - April 9, 2014

10. Is anyone else besides me noting that the tipped-over car has an Obama sticker on it?

I’m surprised the State-Run Media didn’t try to blame Bush for it.

Regards,
    Peter H.

Comment by Peter Hughes — April 9, 2014 @ 12:33 pm - April 9, 2014

11. Peter – Hard to say if that means anything: in CA, an Obama sticker is almost as mandatory as a license plate.

Comment by ILoveCapitalism — April 9, 2014 @ 12:45 pm - April 9, 2014

12. “It reminds me of cow-tipping … not that I’ve ever done that.” Favorite quote in the news spot.

Comment by Cinesnatch — April 9, 2014 @ 1:19 pm - April 9, 2014

13. I’m sure the Koch Bros., Bushco and Global Warming are all in cahoots together. #RealReasonCarTipped!

Comment by runningrn — April 9, 2014 @ 8:40 pm - April 9, 2014