Someone Thinks Pretty Highly of Himself

Posted by V the K at 10:29 am - April 16, 2014.
Filed under: Liberals

Michael Bloomberg, former Mayor of Munchkinland New York City, doesn’t have to use fossil fuels to heat his massive estate; his ego is plenty sufficient.

Pointing to his work on gun safety, obesity and smoking cessation, he said with a grin: “I am telling you if there is a God, when I get to heaven I’m not stopping to be interviewed. I am heading straight in. I have earned my place in heaven. It’s not even close.”

I am reminded of a quote from C.S. Lewis.

“Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron’s cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. They may be more likely to go to Heaven yet at the same time likelier to make a Hell of earth. This very kindness stings with intolerable insult. To be “cured” against one’s will and cured of states which we may not regard as disease is to be put on a level of those who have not yet reached the age of reason or those who never will; to be classed with infants, imbeciles, and domestic animals.”

But then, what did he know? He was a Christianist.

1. Geez, he’s going to be surprised when gets to the Pearly Gates and is given thumbs down.

Comment by Charles — April 16, 2014 @ 11:09 am - April 16, 2014

2. Hey, if there is anything the Judeo-Christian tradition teaches, it’s that Jehovah just loves the prideful and arrogant.

Comment by V the K — April 16, 2014 @ 11:20 am - April 16, 2014

3. I was going to say something, but I can’t top C. S. Lewis.

Comment by Craig Smith — April 16, 2014 @ 11:27 am - April 16, 2014

4. Sorry Mr Bloomberg you do not get into heaven on works alone. If you were reading and studying you’d know that. But you are too busy being a jerk.

Comment by Pamela — April 16, 2014 @ 11:39 am - April 16, 2014

5. Busy bodies, of any ideological stripe, are addicted to their anal retentiveness. Until death do they part. For whatever reason, they don’t like something &, instead of just avoiding that something, use public health emergency natl security issues, to make illegal that which they disapprove.

Comment by Marc Winger — April 16, 2014 @ 11:52 am - April 16, 2014

6. Wow. What a load of hot air….

I don’t think that I have ever heard anyone make such a comment seriously. As if he can read God’s mind. As if he IS God. What a petty, vile, little man.

C.S. Lewis ROCKS!!! Love that quote. It is SO true.

Comment by Charlotte — April 16, 2014 @ 12:05 pm - April 16, 2014

7. Divergent Question
    Bloomberg is Jewish.
    My understanding is jewish folks concept of afterlife is totally different than Christians.

Is that right?
    Anyone know?

Comment by mike — April 16, 2014 @ 1:25 pm - April 16, 2014

8. I was going to say something, but I can’t top C. S. Lewis.

Well, my ego is bigger than Bloomberg’s, so I’ll go for it:

Pride goeth before destruction, and an haughty spirit before a fall.

Even if I am citing someone else to do it.

Eric Hines

Comment by E Hines — April 16, 2014 @ 2:21 pm - April 16, 2014

9. C.S. Lewis had a mixed view on homosexual acts: he personally viewed them as disgusting and silly, and likened it to drinking dirty, stagnant water when one could just as easily drink clear, cold spring water. However, he did admit that in a society as cold and unloving as he saw his as, homosexual acts was an understandable attempt to find love and solace; the analogy he used was a man in a desert drinking stagnant water to survive.

Lewis did believe that there is such a thing as a homosexual orientation, and felt great sympathy for such people; Lewis himself hinted in some of his writings that he had impulses towards sexual sadism, so he would have understood having to suppress one’s desires. He believed that homosexual men and women did not receive enough support from the Church, and he wrote that they have have one of the most difficult of all crosses to bear in life.

In “Mere Christianity,” Lewis said that people who do not view marriage as a life-long institution should not be bound to a secular version that is life-long. With that in mind, I don’t think it would be too unreasonable for Lewis to say that the government should recognize same-sex unions, but I can’t see him wanting them to be considered marriages. He probably would have favored the state simply allowing any two adults to enter into a contract with predetermined conditions and responsibilities. A view that, coincidentally, matches my own view on the subject.

-Sean

Comment by Sean L — April 16, 2014 @ 6:52 pm - April 16, 2014

10. A typical East Coast snob. Born in Baaaastin, made his fortune in New Yawk City, he is better than us servants, oops, I mean lessers, oops, I mean Americans.

Comment by davinci — April 16, 2014 @ 7:33 pm - April 16, 2014

11. Pharisee, thy name is Bloomberg.

Comment by Seane-Anna — April 16, 2014 @ 9:20 pm - April 16, 2014

12. And Sean L., thanks for the info on Lewis. I didn’t know that. The sad part, though, is that no matter how much sympathy Lewis had for homosexuals, if he were alive today his lack of support for full gay marriage would get him branded a hater, bigot, and Nazi by the gaystapo. Like I said, sad.

Comment by Seane-Anna — April 16, 2014 @ 9:22 pm - April 16, 2014

13. C. S. Lewis, God in the Dock, p. 292.

Read more: http://religiopoliticaltalk.com/quotes-i/#ixzz2zAnWZGoc

Comment by Papa Giorgio — April 17, 2014 @ 3:26 pm - April 17, 2014

14. I created a graphic for my post on this and audio of Prager talking about the Lefts proclivity to Utopia (heaven on earth):

Comment by Papa Giorgio — April 17, 2014 @ 3:32 pm - April 17, 2014