Richard Martinez Is Becoming the New Cindy Sheehan

Posted by V the K at 12:53 pm - May 28, 2014.
Filed under: Gun Control,Media Bias

The father of one of the UCSB murder spree victims is turning his grief into a rallying cry for gun confiscation; much as Cindy Sheehan made her grief into a rallying cry against George W. Bush. I expect before long, Mr.Richard Martinez will be sleeping in a ditch outside a politician’s house.

Mr. Martinez turned a Memorial Service for the victims into a Paul-Wellstonesue political rally; leading the crowd into chanting a gun control slogan. He held a press conference during which he railed against politicians who support the 2nd Amendment and the NRA. He has since appeared on MSDNC (Lawrence O’Donnell and Morning Joe), CNN (Anderson Cooper), The Washington Post granted him space to vent without any counterpoint. And other MFM outlets are lining up to broadcast his grief and rage to the widest possible audience.

The MFM have been eager to give him an outlet to display his grief for public consumption and advancement of the agenda; exactly the way they didn’t for the parents of Tyrone Woods and Sean Smith who were murdered in Benghazi by Mohammedan Terrorist while the president sat back and did nothing to help them. In fact, to the left, four murders in Benghazi have become one of their favorite jokes. I guess Benghazi wasn’t really tragic because it couldn’t be exploited to advance The Agenda.

One can’t fault him for his grief; even if his chosen means of expressing it seems craven and political. But he has no more right to take away anyone’s 2nd Amendment rights because of what happened to his son than the parent of someone killed by a drunk driver has the right to take away everybody’s car.

1. can’t blame a guy for being upset, but he really shouldn’t be using this tragedy to urge government to violate the constitutional rights of people who didn’t do anything wrong.

Comment by Real American — May 28, 2014 @ 1:07 pm - May 28, 2014

2. The NRA didn’t kill his son. Glock and Sig Sauer didn’t kill his son. Ammunition manufactures didn’t kill his son. Politicians didn’t kill his son.

Martinez needs to grieve in private and stop making an ass of himself. The media needs to understand he’s a bit unbalanced himself right now and they need to stop encouraging him.

Comment by Sarah Evans — May 28, 2014 @ 1:38 pm - May 28, 2014

3. I can’t even imagine the grief he must be going through. As much as he rubs me the wrong way, I’m going to give him the benefit of the doubt about whether or not he is purposefully exploiting his son’s death in order to impose gun control. What is really despicable here is how the media is acting, giving him endless attention. Just because his son died doesn’t make him right about gun control, and what is basically happening here (as after every other mass shooting) is the left exploiting people’s emotions in order to take away people’s natural rights. It is the most despicable kind of political manoeuvre.

Comment by Rattlesnake — May 28, 2014 @ 1:39 pm - May 28, 2014

4. I can’t but help to think that there are people like Cindy Sheehan, and Mr Richard Martinez, who have been wanting to bloviate in public to become a national figure, and as in the case of thse two persons,using their sons’ death as the catalyst. They think their tragedy will tug on the heartstrings of the American public force their radical agenda.

Comment by Roberto — May 28, 2014 @ 2:11 pm - May 28, 2014

5. Here’s a true story: I used to be the public information officer for the city of Houston about 20 years ago, fresh out of college. (Yes, I had connections.) 😉

Houston had just passed a law in the early 1990s which mandated that all public swimming pools (even those in apartment complexes) had to have a child-proof gate encircling them to prevent infants and toddlers from drowning.

The reason? Some woman’s toddler wandered into her complex’s pool, jumped in and drowned. (My logical question to this tragedy would be: “Where was the mom?” But in the early PC 1990s, you just didn’t do that – it was considered insensitive. But I digress.)

This lady was the one who demanded that the city “do something” to prevent future accidents from happening. (Actually, her toddler’s death could have been prevented if she’d been more alert.) Of course, all the local grievance-mongers jumped on her bandwagon and City Council passed the law.

Our city department (I won’t say which one) went on-site to a new apartment complex for a press conference to usher in the “new era” by showing people what a properly constructed child-proof fence looked like. The mom was there, along with the local media.

“Mom” was graciously chatting with everyone in the assembled media when she spied me. She rushed over, introduced herself and – before I had a chance to say anything – eagerly asked “which channel” I was with.

I apologized, introduced myself and announced that I was with the City of Houston, and how pleased I was to meet her.

Her face immediately hardened, her lips pursed, and she flounced away without so much as an “excuse me.” I was dumbfounded.

When the press conference began, “Mom” – who earlier had been chatting eagerly with the press and smiling – put on a sad face, clutched a 8×10 pic of her toddler, and tearfully warbled that now “other mothers wouldn’t have to face the grief and heartbreak” that she had endured. It was downright pathetic.

After the press conference, she was back to her smiling and chatting.

I was 23 and totally jaded. This woman had used her dead toddler as a prop for her own advancement and status. “Beyotch” doesn’t even begin to describe her – even now, 20 years later, with the memory of her camera-hogging still with me.

The result of this experience is that I view all so-called “victims” (Richard Martinez, Cindy Sheehan, Jersey Wives) with skepticism, especially when they get more face time than the ones who lost their lives. When it becomes more about them than the ones who lost their lives, then I know it’s for selfish reasons.

Therefore, I say to Martinez: too bad, so sad. Now let your son rest in peace and don’t make a horse’s patoot out of yourself in the media.

Regards,
    Peter H.

Comment by Peter Hughes — May 28, 2014 @ 3:15 pm - May 28, 2014

6. The man has no class, just like Sheehan. Instead of privately mourning, they use the death of a son as a forum for their Communist and Socialist rants. This father should know that half of the victims died from knife wounds. Would this man then ban knives too?

It seems that liberals find politics in everything. Grief with your wife because if you go with this cause, you will end up divorced and bitter just like the Communist Sheehan.

Comment by davinci — May 28, 2014 @ 3:33 pm - May 28, 2014

7. The good news for them is that the parents of the 1/2 Malaysian killer are pro gun control and the place he shot his victims was a gun free zone. Apparently the problem was they needed a bigger Gun Free Zone sign.

Comment by Steve — May 28, 2014 @ 4:45 pm - May 28, 2014

8. @peter so much of what is mandated on everyone is to prevent Darwin from doing his job. The swimming pool alarm woman testifying to impose alarms on all pools would have you believe that she would be more attentive to an alarm and its battery upkeep than her own spawn.

Comment by Steve — May 28, 2014 @ 4:48 pm - May 28, 2014

9. I want to believe that this man is angry and is acting out of grief. But this media spree he’s gone on makes me think otherwise. I know that if I was shot, my family would not be this friendly with the press. My parents may leave the house long enough to say that they were grieving and wanted to be left alone, and my father may growl that he wanted to see the person who shot me executed, but that would be about it. This guy seems like he was ant-2nd Amendment in the first place, and is using the death of his child to achieve what he deems to be a “good.”

Comment by Sean L — May 28, 2014 @ 7:54 pm - May 28, 2014

10. He’s just another victimist-narcissist; it’s all about his feelings, his grief, his loss. …Me, my, mine. I’m doing this so I feel better about myself.

Comment by Ted B. (Charging Rhino) — May 28, 2014 @ 10:40 pm - May 28, 2014

11. I Dunno
    He is trying to make his sons death have meaning. That’s not the worst thing in the world. In this case he may have a point, the nutjobkiller’s own parents called the police on him and said:
    “hey watch out”
    Seems in cases like this it would be better if the police could run his name and say:
    “holy cow this kid’s got a pile of guns and amo”
    Background checks, databases and administrative hassle might’ve stopped this killing. Maybe it wouldn’t’ve. Its possible the freak would’ve gotten his guns illegally. Maybe he would’ve used a knife and did the same amount of damage. Maybe this pyscho rich boy would’ve gamed the system somehow.

But, those type of checks/databases for these types of weapons seems like a reasonable check to me.

Comment by mike — May 29, 2014 @ 6:38 am - May 29, 2014

12. Maybe he would’ve used a knife and did the same amount of damage

Get the facts before you pop off, idiot.

Of the six (6) people this little creep murdered, three (3) died from STAB wounds.
    Therefore, he DID use a knife and he did the same amount of “damage”, three murders, that he did with a firearm.

Now, show how consistent you can be and become an advocate of ‘knife control’.

Comment by JMan1961 — May 29, 2014 @ 6:21 pm - May 29, 2014

13. @jman1961- actually to be consistent he would be an advocate of a national registry of all knives including silverware & scalpels. If you have more than 3 place settings in the house the cops should confiscate them and leave you with sporks.

Comment by Steve — May 29, 2014 @ 10:47 pm - May 29, 2014