Ever since Barack Hussein Obama became president, there has been a notable acceleration in the use of State power to punish, harass, and wreak vengeance on those the left perceives as their enemies. Just a few examples:
- Barack Obama’s use of the IRS to target conservative opponents for harassment.
- Partisan Democrat prosecutors in Wisconsin conducting a campaign of harassment and intimidation against conservative political groups in that state.
- Radical Feminists imposing California’s “Yes Means Yes” law, stripping college males of the rights of due process and the presumption of innocence, all so they can settle their scores with the “Patriarchy.”
- Harry Reid and 52 senate Democrats attempting to gut the First Amendment’s free speech protections; all to get even with a handful of rich donors who support non-Democrat causes.
- And, of course, the Gay Fascist Left using the power of the state to punish bakers, florists, and photographers who do not support gay marriage.
Inevitably, when the left-wing comes to power, the first order of business is to punish their perceived enemies. That has been the case in every country in which any brand of Marxism has come into power. There was a naive assumption that the political system of the United States, with its body of laws and system of checks and balances, was immune to these types of abuses. Clearly, the last six years have shown that it is not.
Modern leftism is less a set of political beliefs than a militant pathology. If your political philosophy is based on the idea that those who disagree with you are evil, and/or greedy, and/or racist, and/or homophobic, and/or sexist, then, of course, they need to be punished, and of course, the reason your side was elected was to punish them. Obama himself admitted as much when he stated that the purpose of elections was “to punish our enemies and … reward our friends who stand with us on issues that are important to us.” And his administration and his party have done exactly that.
And the worst part is that if, somehow, the left’s greedy fingers are ever pried from the levers of state power, the Republicans will do nothing to reverse what has been done, will do nothing to undo what the Obama left has done. They may not abuse power so flagrantly as the left does, but they like having the power all the same.
The only way to keep the State from abusing power is to not let the State have that power in the first place.