The State of the Union

My basic reaction to both the Oscars and the SOTU

My basic reaction to both the Oscars and the SOTU

Y’know, the State of the Union Address and the Oscars have a lot in common. They are annual ceremonies held by coastal elites without the first clue about how normal Americans live. They are full of politics, full of pomp, insanely hyped by the media, and they will each be completely forgotten within a week of the broadcast. And in both cases, the point is to celebrate their ability to get the public to buy into elaborate fantasy worlds painstakingly created by people who have no grounding in real life.

In Hollywood, people who can’t stand each other pretend to like each other. In Washington, people who like each other pretend they can’t stand each other. In both cases, the goal is to keep the public in the dark about what’s really going on.

1. A perfect comparison and the graphic is spot on. Well done!

Comment by Heliotrope — January 20, 2015 @ 9:29 am - January 20, 2015

2. It’s kinda funny. People used to really pay attention to the Oscars, which is why so many films would that think they are Oscar worthy would release, after special showings only in Los Angeles, in January or February, so that people would go see them because they were either nominated or won the award.

There is still some of that, but after a while, people began to realize that there was a shift. From really good films with uplifting messages, to liberal sermons that bored them to tear. All of the Oscar contenders for Best Picture this year did horribly at the box office with the exception of American Sniper (which is being vilified and will likely not win–I predict Selma will win just to prove that the Academy isn’t racist….again). Last year, all of the nominees for Best Picture were also flops, except for Gravity, which did not win (and again, the Academy had to prove they were not racist by picking 12 Years A Slave).

As Hollywood became the breeding ground of useful idiots, their choices for what is good has gone with it.

Comment by Craig Smith — January 20, 2015 @ 10:52 am - January 20, 2015

3. The Selma nomination is the Hollywood equivalent of a pity fuck. Not a horrible film, but if it hadn’t been for the racial component it would have been completely ignored.

Comment by kimthe — January 20, 2015 @ 11:01 am - January 20, 2015

4. Craig, Selma isn’t nominated for anything which has upset the Blacklivesmatter people & Oprah, of course.
    I think SOTU is simply the governing regime’s big chance to mug for the camera, along with what VtheK said.

Comment by Marc — January 20, 2015 @ 11:23 am - January 20, 2015

5. According to Variety, Selma was nominated for Best Picture.

Comment by JohnReb — January 20, 2015 @ 11:51 am - January 20, 2015

6. Diversity quotas in theatre take that gay theatre majors.
    I think a lot of people in theatre are about to get touched by reality that there is not enough non Asian minority talent. Ice T was scheduled for an afternoon to narrate a 25 page young adult short story and it took him 2 extra days.

Comment by Steve — January 20, 2015 @ 12:03 pm - January 20, 2015

7. Thanks JohnReb, guess I’ve been skimming the very top of the news too much.

Comment by Marc — January 20, 2015 @ 12:17 pm - January 20, 2015

8. Has anybody seen Birdman in a good theater around Hollywood? The vibe from in-the-business people can be very telling. A standing ovation wouldn’t surprise me, not a all.

Comment by innocent bystader — January 20, 2015 @ 1:08 pm - January 20, 2015

9. I’m puzzled. Huge accolades from inside the echo-chamber for Birdman, yet my sister and her BF nearly-walked-out on it, and compared it with Ed Wood as one of the worst movies they’d seen in years.

Years ago, I used to go to the movies several times a week. Now I haven’t been to a movies in months; the last movie I saw was Star Trek Into Darkness(?) At-least that’s the last one I remember seeing, …so maybe it’s been more than months.

They’re too-loud…
    They’re too expensive…
    The theaters are horrid…
    And it’s too-far to drive for a mediocre experience.

It’s hard to appreciate the Oscars Broadcast anymore when for years I haven’t seen any/most of the films nominated.

Comment by Ted B. (Charging Rhino) — January 20, 2015 @ 1:25 pm - January 20, 2015

10. The last movie I saw in a theater was ‘Guardians of the Galaxy,’ which was the cinematic equivalent of ‘Firefly’ and ‘Farscape’ having a baby; a wonderful, wonderful baby.

Comment by V the K — January 20, 2015 @ 1:57 pm - January 20, 2015

11. Innocent bystander, the vote is determined by armchair critics up & down the Left Coast that have received a nice screener to watch & judge.
    I can’t stand the former Batman in Birdman so I won’t be watching that particular movie.

Comment by Marc — January 20, 2015 @ 4:24 pm - January 20, 2015

12. […] Via Gay Patriot […]

Pingback by Peas meet pod: State of the Union and Oscars | THE TEXAS SCRIBBLER — January 20, 2015 @ 6:30 pm - January 20, 2015

13. I never watch the SOTU show – not when it was Bush-41/33 or Clinton. And I see no reason to watch BHO. Life is too short.

I stumbled on the SOTU once when W was prattling on about hydrogen cars or Mars or something… just filler. He didn’t believe it, none of the seat-warmers in Congress believed it, just Shinola for the masses.

And then there are the Special People invited as human props. Those of us of a certain age will remember “Romper Room” where Miss Peggy would look through her magic mirror and see people (There’s Suzy, Joe, Bill…). The SOTU is part Romper Room.

Comment by KCRob — January 20, 2015 @ 7:00 pm - January 20, 2015

14. What Pres. Obama thinks his SOTU audience’s reaction is.

Comment by Ted B. (Charging Rhino) — January 20, 2015 @ 8:09 pm - January 20, 2015

15. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v79sjCscbuo

Comment by Ted B. (Charging Rhino) — January 20, 2015 @ 8:10 pm - January 20, 2015