On Memorial Day

Posted by V the K at 10:10 am - May 25, 2015.
Filed under: Patriotism

304475_10151253739365067_139629285_n

(Son to Father. . .)
Do not call me, father. Do not seek me.
Do not call me. Do not wish me back.
We’re on a route uncharted, fire and blood erase our track.

On we fly on wings of thunder, never more to sheathe our swords.
All of us in battle fallen – not to be brought back by words.

Will there be a rendezvous?
I know not. I only know we still must fight.
We are sand grains in infinity, never to meet.
nevermore to see light.

(Father to Son . . .)
Farewell, then my son. Farewell then my conscience.
Farewell my youth, my solace, my one and my only.

Let this farewell be the end of the story,
A solitude vast in which none is more lonely,
In which you remained barred forever
From light, from air, with your death pains untold.
Untold and unsoothed, never to be resurrected.
Forever and ever an 18 year old.

Farewell then.
No trains ever come from those regions,
Unscheduled and scheduled.
No aeroplanes fly there.

Farewell then my son,
For no miracles happen, as in this world
Dreams do not come true.

Farewell.
I will dream of you still as a baby,
Treading the earth with little strong toes,
The earth where already so many lie buried.

This song to my son, then, is come to its close.

(Extract from a poem by Jr. Lt. Vladimir Pavlovich Antokolski. Killed in action, June 6th, 1942)

H/T: JJ Sefton

1. May we rememeber and honor all those who have fallen.

Comment by Just Me — May 25, 2015 @ 11:05 am - May 25, 2015

2. War hero with a chest full of medals in trouble for telling French kissing lesbians about PDAs in uniform at a formal dress blues event.
    “As a result, this exceptional combat leader was relieved of his command, removed from the attendance list at the National War College, effectively barred from further promotions, and placed in danger of being separated from the Army.

Read more: http://joemiller.us/2015/05/ltc-christopher-downey%e2%80%8f-an-american-hero-sacrificed-by-yet-another-gutless-general-subservient-to-homosexual-lobby/#ixzz3bAAsENq2

Comment by Steve — May 25, 2015 @ 11:07 am - May 25, 2015

3. Gallipoli on the coast of Turkey was the site of a WWI disastrous defeat for the British, Australian and New Zealand troops and Churchill was directly responsible for it. There is moving monument there bearing these words:

Those heroes that shed their blood and lost their lives … You are now lying in the soil of a friendly country. Therefore rest in peace. There is no difference between the Johnnies and the Mehmets to us where they lie side by side here in this country of ours … You, the mothers who sent their sons from faraway countries, wipe away your tears; your sons are now lying in our bosom and are in peace. After having lost their lives on this land they have become our sons as well.

There are some who question whether these words were written by Mustafa Kemal Ataturk and whether they were heartfelt or not.

Whatever the case may be, the words more than adequately express the responsibility we all share for the souls of those who died for their homeland, without regard to the political forces that impelled them.

Comment by Heliotrope — May 25, 2015 @ 12:18 pm - May 25, 2015

4. […] (Via GayPatriot) […]

Pingback by Memorial Day ~ Tribute from RPT (2015) | Religio-Political Talk (RPT) — May 25, 2015 @ 2:56 pm - May 25, 2015

5. This is one of my favorite remembrance songs/videos:

Comment by Just Me — May 25, 2015 @ 8:33 pm - May 25, 2015

6. […] Gay Patriot and […]

Pingback by Arlington National Cemetery 2015 | Batshit Crazy News — May 25, 2015 @ 9:33 pm - May 25, 2015

7. What doe CA and India have in common? They both realized they cant have 1st world traffic laws with a 3rd world population

Comment by Steve — May 25, 2015 @ 11:07 pm - May 25, 2015

8. […] Written by GayPatriot […]

Pingback by On Memorial Day - Citizens News | Citizens News — May 26, 2015 @ 7:49 am - May 26, 2015

9. To pick a nit, I’m fairly sure that the excerpted poem is by Pavel Antokolski, not his son Vladimir “Vova” Antokolski. Vova, a gunner, was killed in the Battle of Stalingrad in 1942. Pavel wrote this poem to memorialize his son in 1943. Not much on the internet in English about this issue, but you can see it here in French on Wikipedia: http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pavel_Antokolski

Comment by Mitch — May 26, 2015 @ 3:13 pm - May 26, 2015