Too Boring, Didn’t Watch (TBDW): Stuff I Heard Second-Hand About the GOP Debate Thingy

Posted by V the K at 6:06 am - December 16, 2015.
Filed under: 2016 Presidential Election

I didn’t watch the debate. Not because I had something better to do. (Actually, I cooked some delicious hamburgers, played Fallout 4, and put more stuff on the Christmas tree for Dewey to knock down while I’m at work.)  I just didn’t think the debate (or, more accurately, mass interview opportunity) mattered very much. Here is what I picked up from comments in other forums, tho’

That’s pretty much what I got out of it. Any observations from our astute commenters?

1. Christie seemed to win the debate to me, but Cruz and Rubio made strong presentations. Trump was awful as usual, with tired cliches, silly facial expressions, and repeating himself incessantly. Carson was invisible and lacked any substance. Paul was his normal isolationist self, making some good libertarian points. Kasich should just leave the stage. Fiorina had some good answers.

I think the four finalists will be Trump, Cruz, Rubio, and Christie. I have no idea who will be victorious, but I personally support one and would be happy with one of the others.

Comment by davinci38 — December 16, 2015 @ 9:17 am - December 16, 2015

2. Trump is like watching a category 5 hurricane form out in the Atlantic. And watching all the others try to give him a hot foot as he pees on their matches.

It is also amusing to see the establishment finally begin to have individual epiphanies that Trump might actually become president. It is sort of like waving a bubble mix wand and being surprised every time one of the bubbles pops.

I would really, really like to see a cage match between Carly and Hillary. My bet is Hillary unconscious on the mat and in pieces 30 seconds into the first round.

The Cruz-Rubio spitball spats are annoying.

Rand Paul needs some sort of uniform with a morning star hanging from his belt and gigantic epaulettes on his shoulders.

Wolf Blitzer needs to write the definitive encyclopedia on catching and taming gnats.

Comment by Heliotrope — December 16, 2015 @ 9:37 am - December 16, 2015

3. Jeb Bush needs to go back to managing money for crony capitalists and concentrate on getting fat.

Jeb who?

More seriously… Why does Jeb Bush get a ‘pass’ for how he actually makes money and who his “crony capitalist’ friends really are; Lehman Brothers, Goldman Sachs, Carlos Slim, et al?

Or Ted Cruz’s close family ties to Goldman Sachs?

Or John Kasich’s ties to Lehman Brothers?

Comment by Ted B. (Charging Rhino) — December 16, 2015 @ 9:53 am - December 16, 2015

4. Jeb is staying in just to spend all his donor money because all his advisers who get paid with that money are telling him to stay in. That’s what happens when you are spending other people’s money. That’s why people HATE career politicians. They spend other people’s money to get elected so they can say how to spend other people’s money as a career. That’s why people LOVE Trump. He is spending his own money.

Getting out and returning all that money to the donors so they could use it to oppose Hillery in the General election would never cross the mind of any career politician.

Comment by Professor Hale — December 16, 2015 @ 10:17 am - December 16, 2015

5. I was playing Fallout 4 before the debate. I fast traveled to a farm to defend against an attack. I ended up nose to bellybutton with 5 super mutant brutes, 2 with missile launchers. It took about 6 tries and half an hour to finally beat them. It lent a certain perspective to the discussion about defeating ISIS.

Comment by Roy Lofquist — December 16, 2015 @ 11:22 am - December 16, 2015

6. the Washington post thinks jeb bush won the debate, shocker!

Comment by tommy651 — December 16, 2015 @ 11:53 am - December 16, 2015

7. to all you people that talk about “crony capitalism.” that isn’t capitalism, that is socialism. it’s funny that socialism’s critics does know it when it is hitting them in the face.

Comment by tommy651 — December 16, 2015 @ 11:57 am - December 16, 2015

8. As always V, your insights are fascinating as they are thought-provoking. I’m curious now:

Also, while I haven’t followed the hype, I admit that I’m a little curious about Fallout 4. I loved 1 and 2, but I’m really more on the Wasteland side of the fence. Fallout 3 was clearly just Oblivion-with-guns (with a game engine that could barely handle point-blank melee combat), and rather than pay 4 any heed, I’m still working on my Skyrim mod setup (and haven’t actually started playing it yet). I did just finish a very satisfying Civ IV game (Realism Invictus mod), and Steam constantly telling me about one of my college buddies playing FTL lately has made me revisit that as well (and I only just now discovered a mature mod community for that too).

Oh, and good job carrying on the Christmas decorating tradition. I don’t usually bother, but it’s nice to see people keeping the spirit alive.

Comment by Sathar — December 16, 2015 @ 12:12 pm - December 16, 2015

9. Were the burgers intrinsically delicious, or did you have some new or special trick?

Nothing special. 85/15 lean ground beef. Salt, pepper, saison completa, and a little olive oil.

It’s mainly we’ve been dieting since Labor Day, and haven’t had burgers in ages.

Tonight chili.

Comment by V the K — December 16, 2015 @ 12:58 pm - December 16, 2015

10. I did not watch the debate because I felt it really unimportant. ANY of the present candidates would be a far better president than anyone the Democrats are offering up.

I’ll support whoever wins.

Comment by Craig Smith — December 16, 2015 @ 4:52 pm - December 16, 2015

11. I didn’t watch it either but heard the only way Trump could have made entitled Jeb look worse is if he Dwarf Tossed Jeb’s wife into the audience.

All of the zeros are only staying in to split votes in Jebs favor in their home states. Without Trump we would be looking at Jeb/HillLIARy both choice of donors. Its really funny hearing a Jeb donor say he would support HilLIARy over Trump , he must have forgot Trump talking about bought and paid for politicians.

Comment by Steve — December 16, 2015 @ 5:26 pm - December 16, 2015

12. That’s why people LOVE Trump. He is spending his own money.

Yes, but he’s only going to spend his own money for so long. When the big bills eventually start trickling in, he will find that vendors really want cash on the barrelhead and won’t settle for a piece of property The Donald got cheap and swears is a great asset which has appreciated 10000% since he’s owned it. Or something similar.

I seriously believe that is why Ross Perot eventually exited his quixotic quests for the presidency each time; successful people don’t get that way by going through their own money like RuPaul goes through makeup. It’s fun to have a hobby where you get recognition on a national basis, but running for office is a very expensive hobby. It’s why Democrats always want someone else to pay for their campaigns (including, preferably, the general public).

Comment by RSG — December 16, 2015 @ 6:36 pm - December 16, 2015

13. Or John Kasich’s ties to Lehman Brothers?

For all that can be said about John Kasich (and the blog author’s perception that “I’m doing it in Ohio!” could sum up his debate performance is quite accurate), the rag on him & Lehman Brothers is a bit overrated. He worked for them after he left Congress and before he ran for governor. While he might have made a few connections that are paying off in his current campaign, I think the ties are quite thin otherwise.

It’s kind of like the not-so-rich-kid who gets a summer internship at a prestigious firm. Sure, they can count on a letter of recommendation or maybe a good word here and there, but since mom and dad don’t go to the country club with the execs from the firm, the bonhomie only goes so far.

The people from Lehman Brothers are supporting the kid whose parents do go to the club, and who’s big brother goes to the club and has already made it big. That kid is getting the real bucks and the non-financial support that matters. That kid isn’t John from Ohio.

Comment by RSG — December 16, 2015 @ 6:49 pm - December 16, 2015

14. The Lefts rags (ooh, un-PC use of word, my bad) about the Military-Industrial Complex yet is amazingly silent over the disturbing, corrosive revolving-door relationships between high-government, the West Wing — and a handful of other merchant investment banks; Lehman Bros., Goldman Sachs and Drexel Burnham going-back several generations.

Comment by Ted B. (Charging Rhino) — December 16, 2015 @ 9:17 pm - December 16, 2015

15. I frequently refer to Carly Florina as “the adult in the room” after these things. I am always so impressed with her answers in debates and in interviews. I think she’d be a kick-ass President. Not sure why everyone else is missing that picture and supporting all the others. That said, I like just about all of them, none are perfect, any are better than Hillary and I’m getting more comfortable with the idea of Trump. I’m just afraid he’s going to crash and burn at some point by saying or doing something incredibly obnoxious.

Comment by Eddie — December 18, 2015 @ 12:08 am - December 18, 2015

16. I was impressed by how conversant former Senator Rick Santorum is with the Koran and ISIS or ISIL can be defeated from understanding how the muslims perceive their importance in accord with their sacred book.

Comment by Roberto — December 18, 2015 @ 4:54 pm - December 18, 2015