Not Even Gay People Can Stand Living in Blue States Anymore

Posted by V the K at 5:38 pm - March 13, 2016.
Filed under: Living In Red State America

The Daily Beast has noted that gay people are moving out of blue states and into red states.

ConsumerAffairs.com analyzed U.S. Census data and Gallup polling information to model the movement of the LGBT community from 1990 to 2014. The overall trend is striking. In 1990, the LGBT population was concentrated in coastal metropolitan areas and other safe havens—cities like San Francisco, New York, Seattle, and Atlanta. By 2014, LGBT hot spots cropped up in some seemingly unlikely places: Salt Lake City, Louisville, Norfolk, Indianapolis, and other red state cities.

Several of the cities that rose in the rankings were in traditionally red states. Meanwhile, many LGBT safe havens like Minneapolis, San Diego, and New York fell in the rankings. San Francisco remains the undisputed LGBT capital of the country but even there, the LGBT population fell by a few tenths of a percent over the last decade and a half.

They seem to think it’s because now that there is an aggressively pro-gay administration that will severely punish anyone who hurts a gay person’s feelers. (or, in the Beast’s words, ” federal actions over the last 15 years that may have made LGBT people feel safer.” Or, it just could be because gay people get just as fed up with the high taxes and social dysfunction of gay meccas like San Francisco, Chicago, and New York City and want to move someplace where the cost of living is more reasonable, and where your human right of self-defense is respected.

You know, the same reason straight people move out of blue states and indigo cities.

1. I think that the vast majority simply want to be left alone, and are getting very tired of the “In Your Face” activists, who are not only fascist in their style, but persecute other gays who are not dyed in the wool liberals, much like many blacks are growing tired of the black activists.

They are moving to places where, if you keep your sex life to yourself, nobody will bother you.

Comment by Craig Smith — March 13, 2016 @ 6:26 pm - March 13, 2016

2. Boston and Cambridge would most likely be one of those safe haven cities but most gays can’t even afford to live in the those cities anymore.

Comment by James — March 13, 2016 @ 6:27 pm - March 13, 2016

3. Are LGBT people actually *moving out of* blue states, or are they just coming out — and staying put — in the red states where they were born? (I would suspect that both are trends, but I’m wondering which better explains the statistics reported by DB.)

P.S. I’m trying to decide whether the -ing Expletive used a few headlines below is, in fact, a “Gerund”, particularly in the first instance.

(The word freaking in contexts like “That’s freaking cool!” or “Don’t freaking pick your nose!” is logically and syntactically adverbial, which to me suggests that its underlying nature is that of a participle, not a gerund. But I’m just geeking out now. Even so, some Googling suggests that even PhD-level linguists often disagree in how to grammatically classify the -ing form of the F-bomb.)

Comment by Throbert McGee — March 13, 2016 @ 6:38 pm - March 13, 2016

4. I didn’t have time to comment then, but I confess I was excited to see the word “gerund” used in a headline.

Comment by TheQuietMan — March 13, 2016 @ 7:31 pm - March 13, 2016

5. Oregon and Washington have seen a massive influx of Californians the past 15 years; my sister and her family in North Carolina have seen the same thing as people flee the Northeast. The problem is that while these social and economic refugees may be seeking a better place to live, they often bring their politics with them. The result is that these folks try to bring about the very policies they’re retreating from. It’s reasonable to assume that a significant percentage voted for the society they’re leaving, but seem unable to learn the lessons therefrom.

Comment by Blair Ivey — March 13, 2016 @ 7:38 pm - March 13, 2016

6. The problem is that while these social and economic refugees may be seeking a better place to live, they often bring their politics with them. The result is that these folks try to bring about the very policies they’re retreating from.

Very true. Observers outside the northeast often wonder why New Hampshire isn’t the bastion of old-line conservatism it once was, having elected Democrats as US Senator and Governor in recent years. Yet northeasterners will gladly explain that the change in that state’s politics as being a result of the northern migration from the Commonwealth of Massachusetts.

In the interior West, we see many results of Californication, with Democrats moving to places like Colorado (and thus helping it to become newly purple) and Republicans moving to places like Wyoming, with each group trying to making it like the place they left, instead of just shutting up and assimilating.

Comment by RSG — March 13, 2016 @ 9:15 pm - March 13, 2016

7. Concerning Colorado, it is only purple because of Denver, where the majority of the residents live. Recall how counties outside of Denver seriously considered secession and forming a new state.

Same with counties of California, north of the Bay Area/Sacramento, Oregon outside Portland, and Washington, outside Seattle, forming a new state, Jefferson.

A lot of it is that liberal tend to settle in cities, then make rules that are to the detriment of those in rural areas.

Comment by Craig Smith — March 14, 2016 @ 2:05 am - March 14, 2016

8. I’ve thought about relocating to Maine or Washington State for the sailing. But the influx of the “protected classes” and the Leftist fellow-travelers worries me. So many California professionals have relocated to Seattle-Tacoma that some of the professions have been erecting licensure-barriers making it harder to relocate there. I should have gotten an Architect’s license for Washington State 25-years ago, the last time I seriously thought about moving to Tacoma.

I love Denver and Salt Lake City, but the sailing weather is poor.

And now the $15-hour loonies have taking-over Sea-Tac, and are marching on Seattle.

Comment by Ted B. (Charging Rhino) — March 14, 2016 @ 2:35 am - March 14, 2016

9. Throbert, without access to the data that The Daily Beast used, we can’t know, but I suspect that what the data is showing is a decrease in LGBT population in usual strongholds and an increase in other cities.

Otherwise, the percentage of gays nationwide would go up.

Comment by Craig Smith — March 14, 2016 @ 2:36 am - March 14, 2016

10. Or maybe because it’s cost of living and gentrification.

Gawd, this post is a reach and a half.

Comment by CrayCrayPatriot — March 14, 2016 @ 5:47 am - March 14, 2016

11. @12: Wait wait wait. Are you honestly insisting that these places where liberal policymakers rule by unopposed fiat are having issues with, as you said, “cost of living and gentrification” because of conservative policies?

Comment by Kilroy — March 14, 2016 @ 5:59 am - March 14, 2016

12. “Nobody cares.”

Isn’t that great?
    The reason “nobody cares” is simple, society has been changed by those very same activists you deride. In the past its possible your move to some places would’ve triggered neighborhood fliers and concern. So the gay community HAD to group together. But not anymore. Those bigots have been thoroughly shamed and people like you and your family can enjoy peace and normalcy.

From time to time it would be good for you to remember those gay activists who made America safe for you because it was not always so.

Comment by mike — March 14, 2016 @ 7:06 am - March 14, 2016

13. Again.. Lil letter mike gets it wrong. It was not the gay pride strutting activists in leather chaps that opened other people’s minds. It was the everyday ordinary person who went about their day just like everyone else who just happened to be gay that allowed the rest of mainstream America to realize that gay people can be just like everyone else. Now, gay snowflakes need to be labeled as “special”. More and more gay people are realizing the gay “lifestyle” is empty, shallow and immature.

Activism doesn’t need to be loud and proud. We quietly laid the groundwork for gay parenting in Maine by becoming the first openly gay foster parents in the state and by allowing a conservative judge to use our two adoptions to facilitate unmarried people in the State of Maine to jointly adopt (before same sex marriage was legalized). Did we seek headlines and interviews and accolades? No. We just did what was right.

Comment by tnnsne1 — March 14, 2016 @ 7:58 am - March 14, 2016

14. As mikey implores. “Come back to the Gay Democratic Plantation. The shackles are fur lined and the whips are real Corinthian leather. All you have to give up is your freedom.”

Comment by Juan — March 14, 2016 @ 10:33 am - March 14, 2016

15. We bought our house in the far suburbs of Cleveland in 2002 and have never, for one day, regretted our move. The neighborhood is great, our neighbors are amazing, and we have had nothing but great experiences. Our conservative Catholic neighbors gladly were witnesses on our wills, and always take care of our pets when we travel. Maybe most importantly – to our neighbors – our parties are legendary! With kids and all they can’t entertain the way we do, so they look forward to our gatherings – whether just a cocktail party or a big catered event. We also hang out at a local dive biker bar to watch the Browns – and no one gives a rats ass that we are a married couple.

We’d never consider living back in the the city at this point. Life, for us, is perfect in the burbs.

Comment by COFlyerCLE — March 14, 2016 @ 10:49 am - March 14, 2016

16. To put it in geeky terms: the activist gays are Magneto, the “we just want to be left alone” gays are Professor X.

Comment by Sean L — March 14, 2016 @ 11:49 am - March 14, 2016

17. @13 gentrification in red states, moron. It has made them more liveable for gays who once escaped them. And when the cost of living in trendy metropolitan areas has always been high, the desire to live there is less when there are other options that are now accepting of them.

Comment by CrayCrayPatriot — March 14, 2016 @ 3:41 pm - March 14, 2016

18. “the desire to live there is less when there are other options that are now accepting of them.”

Exactly.

The guy wearing leather chaps at the gay pride parade started the conversation. That conversation grew to a point where minds were changed and now you can adopt kids, buy a house with spousal rights, get a joint loan and live your normal “red state” lives.

Can you imagine if the Anita Bryant’s Save Our Children, Inc won the day? If activists didn’t rise up you might not have your kids living with you today. There is a reason your lefty east coast pals ask you if you are “OK,” The reason is because in the past, you would’ve been unsafe just because you are gay.

My point is not to turn you into a democratic voter, I think that ship has sailed. My point is to remind you that the life you brag about is only available to you because of the gay activists living in “gay meccas” that you deride.

Comment by mike — March 14, 2016 @ 4:28 pm - March 14, 2016

19. Again.. Lil letter mike gets it wrong. I grew up in small town Maine. Came out at 14 in 1979. Have lived “out” my entire life. I have only felt “unsafe” in liberal urban areas. I have always been out at work. Always. We got our first joint mortgage in 1988. Never ever a problem. Of course, I have lived my life so far as a productive, average person. The leather gay pride parades didn’t make things easier, they made then harder. We have had to fight the feminine stereotypes perpetuated and almost insisted upon by the gay plantation owners. I would venture that the way I have lived my live since 14 years old has done a lot more to further the acceptance of gay people than any leather chapped prancer in a gay pride in a gay ghetto bubble. But feel free to pat each other on the ass. We all know better.

Comment by tnnsne1 — March 14, 2016 @ 5:18 pm - March 14, 2016

20. Good one! @ #22

Comment by joe — March 14, 2016 @ 5:31 pm - March 14, 2016

21. No, mikey. The fact that gays are accepted now is that most of them are living lives much as everybody else and are not the ‘white monkeys’ that gay pride parades show.

Comment by Juan — March 14, 2016 @ 5:35 pm - March 14, 2016

22. Hi everyone. It’s been a while.

Mike, the man in the leather chaps did not do a fucking thing for me. If anything, I’ve had to work harder to overcome the image he put out there. As did my husband and many other people like us. I would even hazard to guess the man is able to put on those chaps and make an embarrassing spectacle, that’s right, Embarassing, because of those of us who are working and living in our communities, NOT gay communities mind you, just communities being good neighbors etc. are creating enough good will to overcome his stupid behavior. I hope. Don’t you think at some point, the volume should be turned down?

Comment by David in N.O. — March 14, 2016 @ 7:58 pm - March 14, 2016

23. 5.I have wondered if there is any advantage to living in a gay ghetto, other than a higher availability of potential sex partners?

Being the most masculine guy on the block is easier.

In NYC you could get gay married, but couldn’t defend your self. No salt shakers in restaurants, & if the 20oz soda ban lasted longer someone would have been killed over it like the black guy selling untaxed cigs.

Comment by Steve — March 14, 2016 @ 10:46 pm - March 14, 2016

24. There has been a lot written about how the average IQ of an area has more of an impact on your life than the same difference in personal IQ. A large part of this is high IQ high Trust societies are better for everyone, even those that bring both of those attributes down. You can have a few people that litter all the time, but once you get enough the desire for the commonweal that is part of western civilization evaporates.

Comment by Steve — March 14, 2016 @ 10:49 pm - March 14, 2016

25. This is very disheartening to see happening here, especially in California. I am an older gay man and I cannot understand why so many people within the LGBT Community can ostracize their friends and families simply because they do not march in lockstep with Socialist and even Communist ideals. I have seen it happen here many times in recent years. Don’t they know how Communist countries treat gay people? Socialist countries are a little more free, but isn’t anyone aware that the Nationalist Socialist Party of Germany in the 1930’s and early 1940’s persecuted us? And look at what is happening in Europe now. People of the LGBT Communities in Europe are being threatened by extreme Muslims who want Shariah law in those nations. I remember a time when we all stuck together, especially during the AIDS crisis; and it did not matter what political party someone belonged to. The hatred and ostracism of our own people by the Progressives these days is just as bad as the hatred of the Tea Party people. Very sad and very upsetting.

Comment by Mark — March 15, 2016 @ 3:00 am - March 15, 2016

26. I get a lot of grief particularly from older gay men because I don’t support the gay leftist ideals. I hear the word heteronormative overused a lot and that Christians are lining up with the evil Republicans to topple the gays. I don’t what to say about it sometimes.

Comment by joe — March 15, 2016 @ 8:52 am - March 15, 2016

27. tnnesne1 @ #22 nails it for this hetero:

My experience is that the gay person will be accepted, appreciated, supported, and befriended if he deals himself into the normalcy of the working world and out of the “I am victim, hear me roar” crowd.

Until it is clearly explained to me what the goals of “gay activism” and the “gay agenda” entail, I will continue to look down my nose with disfavor at those who choose to strut their “uniqueness” stuff rather than seek commonality.

Comment by Heliotrope — March 15, 2016 @ 9:36 am - March 15, 2016

28. I agree with you, Joe. Yes, there are many older LGBT people who go along with the extreme Leftist agenda, and it does cause a lot of grief; especially when they “defriend” us after so many years because we do not march in lockstep with the Socialist and Communist ideology. They either do not see the whole picture or else they have become so Progressively indoctrinated that they do see it and want to radically change our country until it is complete devoid of our freedoms. What are they thinking? Don’t they see what is happening in Europe today? Many members of the LGBT Community in Europe are threatened by those who are being allowed into their countries who wish to establish Sharia law in those countries… a violent and brutal law which not only suppresses and demoralizes women, but which also promotes death to all members of the LGBT Communities! There are actually No-Go Zones in some of those countries now where LGBT people fear to tread! I met a couple of men from Amsterdam who have confirmed this fact.

I also agree with David… yes, there are many people within the leather community who are into the SMBD lifestyles who wish to suppress others on a larger scale. It has happened before in history: There are some who may not wish to read this, but the NSDAP, known more commonly as the Nazi Party of Germany, was actually founded in the 1920’s in a Munich Bar which catered to homosexual men. (The term Gay was not applied to us back then.) The founder was Ernst Rohm. From the 1920’s and into the 1930’s when the Nazi Party became totalitarian, Rohm became infamous as the cruelest officer of all. He sent effeminate gay men, along with lesbian women and “Intellectual” gays of both sexes to the concentration camps, while conscripting hard core SMBD men into the ranks. His actions continued until Adolph Hitler ordered him terminated… not because of his actions, but because he was becoming more popular than Hitler. Hitler, of course, continued the persecutions. Look it up! Any lifestyle which promotes suppression and oppression over any human being is not a good example for ANY community to espouse.

This is why I do not understand why any member of the LGBT Community can march blindly along in such ideology. And the Left Wing calls the Right Wing “Nazis!” Absurd!

Comment by Mark — March 15, 2016 @ 7:05 pm - March 15, 2016

29. A big part of why gays are for open borders is they want the ability to have an 18yo Hispanic boyfriend even when they pass 81yo as long as they still have money. But I am fully willing to give that up.

Comment by Steve — March 15, 2016 @ 8:52 pm - March 15, 2016

30. @ 32 Wow, I never knew that the SMBD lifestyle. I was never into that anyway but just WOW!

Comment by Joe — March 16, 2016 @ 6:22 am - March 16, 2016

31. @ 34: Yes, Joe, many people of the homosexual community who joined the Nazi Party of Germany were SMBD (or BDSM) men, were conscripted by Rohm and his cohorts. Sadism, Masochism, Bondage and Dominance was the hallmark of Nazi activity. In my opinion, all of these men were traitors to our community and to the freedoms of humanity. In his bios, Rohm first referred to himself as a Social Democrat in his early career. Does this sound familiar today!? Not that our current candidates would be gay, but the terminology is there. There is an old saying which I feel is very true: “Those who do not take the time to study history are condemned to repeat it.” I hope that horrible, dark history is not repeated here in the United States. I was never into that lifestyle either, but I am aware of several men and some women in my city who are, and they are supporters of the Big Government ideals in today’s Democratic Party… some are avowed Socialists and a few others are Communist. Shame on the Democratic Party for even allowing this to happen!!

Comment by Mark — March 16, 2016 @ 7:52 pm - March 16, 2016