On Refusing Service to People Who Don’t Share Your Values

Posted by V the K at 7:44 am - May 5, 2016.
Filed under: Equality (Real or Faux?)

A local tow truck driver said he refused to tow a woman’s car after he saw Bernie Sanders stickers on the vehicle.

Kenneth Shupe said he was called to pick up a woman stranded on I-26 in Asheville on Monday.

When he saw “a bunch of Bernie Sanders stuff” he said he told the woman, “very politely,” that he could’t tow her car because she was “obviously a socialist” and advised her to “call the government” for a tow.

“Every business dealing in recent history with a socialist minded person I have not gotten paid,” Shupe said. “Every time I deal with these people I get ‘Berned’ with an ‘e’ not a ‘u’.”

I don’t think he did anything wrong; a business owner ought to have the right to refuse service to people if he finds their views offensive. Right, Bruce Springsteen?  Right Michael Moore?

FWIW: Gary Johnson is also a wedding cake fascist. But so are Hillary, Bernie, and Trump so it really doesn’t matter.

1. You don’t think he did anything wrong? Really? I have always been on the side of the bakers, inn keepers, florists, photographers, etc. but don’t you think this is different? I agree he has the right to do what he did, but make no mistake, he was wrong, if for no other reason, because he made the claim he refused to provide her tow because he is a Christian. I do not see the message of Christ anywhere in his decision making process.

So what are people supposed to do now when calling for a tow? Disclose all their potentially offending beliefs. He left her stranded on an interstate!

Comment by David in N.O. — May 5, 2016 @ 10:09 am - May 5, 2016

2. 1.You don’t think he did anything wrong? Really?

Really!

I do not see the message of Christ anywhere in his decision making process.

Comment by Ilion — May 5, 2016 @ 11:35 am - May 5, 2016

3. If someone does indeed has the right to do something, how is it “wrong” for him to do it?

Moral agents have the freedom to do what is wrong, which is a very different thing from having the right to what is wrong.

Comment by Ilion — May 5, 2016 @ 11:38 am - May 5, 2016

4. “But then, would you really recognize Christ even if he were hitting you between the eyes with a clue-by-four?”

I pray every day that I would.

Comment by David in N.O. — May 5, 2016 @ 11:58 am - May 5, 2016

5. I thought his reasons were because socialists don’t pay him and he dodn’t want to waste his time just to be stiffed again.

Comment by Christina — May 5, 2016 @ 1:57 pm - May 5, 2016

6. […] is on the tip from Gay Patriot, not to libertarian of […]

Pingback by Gary Johnson Is a Cake Fascist! | Religio-Political Talk (RPT) — May 5, 2016 @ 1:58 pm - May 5, 2016

7. He did indeed say that he had payment problems with 2 Sanders supporters in what I would presume is the recent past. But then he also said:

“”Something came over me, I think the Lord came to me, and he just said get in the truck and leave,” said Ken Shupe of Shupee Max Towing in Traveler’s Rest, S.C.. “And when I got in my truck, you know, I was so proud, because I felt like I finally drew a line in the sand and stood up for what I believed.”

He did not do anything illegal, but leaving someone in the manner he did, in my belief, is not in anyway a Christian act. As a Christian, this makes me sad.

Comment by David in N.O. — May 5, 2016 @ 6:50 pm - May 5, 2016

8. 4.“But then, would you really recognize Christ” if he was flipping over tables and chasing crooked merchants with a whip?

It sounds like he knew he wouldn’t get paid anyway, the people expect Bern in Hell to pay for their towing. Have they not heard of Triple A?

Comment by Steve — May 6, 2016 @ 1:32 am - May 6, 2016

9. They don’t believe in AAA. That’s for people who actually plan ahead. They just expect someone else to bail them out when they eventually need it, and to do so on the double.

Comment by RSG — May 6, 2016 @ 6:42 am - May 6, 2016

10. Or, would you recognize Christ if he was allowing people to experience the consequences of their own (individual and corporate) decisions?

If not, you’re going to get many opportunities in the near future.

Comment by Ilion — May 6, 2016 @ 8:42 am - May 6, 2016

11. David’s point is valid, but I would also bring up several of Jesus’s parables — the Parable of the Talents, the Parable of the Wise and Foolish Virgins, for starters — to point out that Jesus was not always sunshine and lollipops.

What Jesus said, more broadly, is that we ought to love and care for our fellow man. However, the point made in those parables is that this does not mean overlooking or ignoring the consequences of poor decisions. The Christian theology is very much that God loves all and wishes for all to be saved, but also that God is fully aware that He gave mankind free will and thus man is free to make poor choices that carry big consequences.

Jesus’s statements, “Those who live by the sword shall die by the sword”,”Do unto others as you would have them do unto you”, and “Judge not, lest ye be judged” are more statements of the obvious than they are of any type of order or command to be a pushover. Jesus is simply saying that you should think through the consequences of your decisions and that you also have the right to decide how you are going to treat people.

Jesus did not expect Christians to turn into pushover hippies. What he expected Christians to do was to turn their thoughts away from serving self to serving God. Just as with good parenting, that sometimes means letting people suffer the consequences of their bad decisions. The flip side, though, was the caution that what you did would be reciprocated. Deliberate cruelty would be repaid as such.

Comment by North Dallas Thirty — May 6, 2016 @ 1:21 pm - May 6, 2016

12. Thanks for your very thoughtful post ND30. Of course the parable I had in mind the the “Good Samaritan”. The tow truck driver acted like the priest.

BTW, I think we might have this past September. Is it possible you were far away from SF?

Comment by David in N.O. — May 6, 2016 @ 4:28 pm - May 6, 2016

13. ….we might have met…..

Comment by David in N.O. — May 6, 2016 @ 5:41 pm - May 6, 2016

14. […] still think Gay Patriot’s position on Gary Johnson is correct, he is a “cake fascist.” But GP continues to point out that “so are Hillary, Bernie, and Trump… so it […]

Pingback by My Question for Gary Johnson – Michael Medved | Religio-Political Talk (RPT) — May 14, 2016 @ 3:35 pm - May 14, 2016