Questioning the Orthodoxy

Posted by V the K at 6:08 pm - August 22, 2016.
Filed under: Science

Some researchers at Johns Hopkins and Arizona State University challenge the orthodoxy that sexuality is something you’re just born with and can’t do anything about. They also challenge the popular notion that children who feel they might be the wrong sex should be indulged and provided with massive doses of chemicals that will permanently damage their physiology and neurology. (Also, that their parents should be put on television and lauded for their acceptance of their children’s “transgenderism.”)

A groundbreaking report that examines nearly 200 peer-reviewed studies on sexual orientation and gender identity concludes that science hasn’t confirmed key theories about these subjects, including the belief that homosexuals are “born that way.”

And it rejects surgical and hormonal interventions for children who identify as “transgender,” on the grounds that the large majority of such children outgrow identities that conflict with their biological sex.

“Examining research from the biological, psychological and social sciences, this report shows that some of the most frequently heard claims about sexuality and gender are not supported by scientific evidence,” reads an introductory note by Adam Keiper, editor of The New Atlantis, a leading journal of science, technology and ethics that published the report, “Sexuality and Gender.”

“The report has a special focus on the higher rates of mental-health problems among LGBT populations, and it questions the scientific basis of trends in the treatment of children who do not identify with their biological sex,” said Keiper.

“More effort is called for to provide these people with the understanding, care and support they need to lead healthy, flourishing lives.”

Frankly, I never thought it ought to matter whether sexuality was congenital or chosen. By that same token, I’ve also always believed that human sexuality was far too complex to reduce to a simplistic matter of genes.

In any case, these researchers are doing something that’s all but forbidden in the modern world; challenging the validity of a belief that is strongly held by the Social Justice Left. It would be nice if we could have honest discussions about these things; but then, you can’t have nice things when mentally deranged people with overwrought feelings and a political agenda are involved in the conversation.

1. If you are born that way does that mean that STR8 guys that are only attracted to big breasted or thin women can’t help themselves? What about gropeosexuals?

Lesbian defends Islam

Why do moslems stone gays to death(with rocks) and mutilate little girls genitals?

One day MooHamMAD’s oldest wife hit puberty and he realized that the gays were right about his Willey being smaller than what is now cut off little girls.

Comment by Steve — August 22, 2016 @ 6:20 pm - August 22, 2016

2. All I have to go on is personal experience which, for me, is “I don’t remember choosing to be gay; never had any interest in the girls”.

As VtK writes, however, sexuality is too complex to be switched on/off by a gene; there’s more at work.

What interests me is the dissonance on the left when it comes to inherited traits.

Lefties claim to be objective, subscribe to the scientific method and reject “faith” for reason. Everything from Addiction to Zoophilia has a genetic switch that absolves people of responsibility. “They can’t help themselves.”

Except when it comes to, say, intelligence. Other than conservatives (who are obviously defective), everyone in the world is born a blank slate with equal ability to learn and reason. If it weren’t for, oh, racism and white male privilege, the Gentle Giant would have been a neurosurgeon and Cher would have been a theoretical physicist. I don’t know what happened to Michael Moore. Sally Kohn would be working at Intel on the next generation of semiconductors.

I’ve wondered whether or not lefty-lesbians “shop” for sperm donors based on physical and/or intellectual traits. Or do they throw the dice?

When it comes to the social taboos of race and sexuality, lefties get more religious than Jimmy Swaggart. When it comes to magical thinking, lefties are no slouches.

Comment by KCRob — August 22, 2016 @ 6:32 pm - August 22, 2016

3. The “I can’t remember being anything but gay” statement is fine, but realize that that does not make in in-born. There are plenty of situations where a child can undergo something life changing and not recall it.

I do find it interesting that this was done at John Hopkins, the medical center that pioneered sex-change therapy in the U.S. They have now abandoned the practice, as they found it doesn’t help.

Comment by Craig Smith — August 22, 2016 @ 6:50 pm - August 22, 2016

4. Well, I didn’t chose for my first girlfriend to be a redhead, but that pretty much set a lifelong pattern.

Comment by Southern Man — August 22, 2016 @ 8:15 pm - August 22, 2016

5. Wait, so you mean that sexuality isn’t so simple as a single result genetic factors, and is probably due to varying inputs of genetic, neurological, psychological, and environmental factors? I’m shocked! Shocked I say!

Comment by Sean L — August 22, 2016 @ 8:48 pm - August 22, 2016

6. Learning is the most studied and investigated behavior in all of psychology. Being gay has a significant learning component. You can’t speak about it, of course, because it’s not the approved explanation. Intelligent men and women in the field know this to be the case, yet are denied by ‘correctness’ to even discuss the possibility. It is so sad to see this deterioration of scientific inquiry in our universities.

The totally genetic explanation has finally subsided to some degree, but a learning component is still not acceptable. So the next best thing is a biological, physiological or chemical explanation. Learning possesses too many problems for the activists who fear learning will be translated into choice, or the possibility that change is indeed possible. Sacrilege! Damn it, you were born that way!

Then in the next article we read: Now, let’s whack that thing off and make you the woman you really are. That thing is clearly a genetic mistake!

It’s amazing that people can live life with so much doublethink and cognitive dissonance and not go completely insane.

Comment by Scott Lassiter — August 22, 2016 @ 8:52 pm - August 22, 2016

7. Gay news ties to insert TRUMP into gay domestic violence murder http://www.towleroad.com/2016/08/marcus-bellamy/

Comment by Steve — August 22, 2016 @ 10:05 pm - August 22, 2016

8. Its just a war on reproductive sexuality. If it mates, its out.

I’m not to concerned for the future of the world as once enough of the pushers of this die out and the lower our population gets, the more desperate people will be to return to norms that encourage reproduction. I hope.

It doesn’t matter if you are gay or engage in behaviors that do not facilitate reproduction, but when it is celebrated as a societal norm, that causes long term problems that are very difficult to correct and will have lasting damage.

Comment by Christina — August 22, 2016 @ 11:03 pm - August 22, 2016

9. When kids are growing up they are curious, try and experiment with everything. Throwing rocks. Fire. Shaving the cat. Self hair cuts. Shaving cream in the DVD player – just to see what happens and figure out how things work and learn about the world they’re in. The same is true for trying out personalities, friends, ways of talking, walking, thinking, dressing and gender roles.

To cut this learning / maturation process short and make the kid stay in a stage he may not have been meant to be stuck in and eventually grow out of is a terrible and stunting thing.

All developmental psychologists have known about and identified the stages of human development for a long, long time. It is well known that at different times as they grow boys and girls identify with the gender other than their own. It’s natural and is called learning.

Comment by Joe — August 23, 2016 @ 12:06 am - August 23, 2016

10. Some researchers at Johns Hopkins and Arizona State University challenge the orthodoxy that sexuality is something you’re just born with and can’t do anything about

That orthodoxy is —
    1) quite recent … when I was a psychology/sociology major in the late 1970s, the orthodoxy was the very opposite;
    2) utterly political … for a time, it fit “the gay agenda” to promote the idea that people are born “gay” … and that, by some wholly unexplained moral magic, this “fact” rendered immoral the passing of moral judgments — other than approval! — on the engaging in of homosexual acts;
    3) not actually believed by *anyone*, including not a single one of the “gays” who spout the “I was born this way” line … for, after all, what is the favorite “gay” sexual fantasy? It is, of course, that one could “flip” any man if one really set one’s mind to do it.

Comment by Ilíon — August 23, 2016 @ 9:38 am - August 23, 2016

11. I only speak for myself, but I don’t believe I was born gay. That doesn’t mean I made a conscious choice. Nature vs nurture. For me, nurture won the battle.

Comment by Niall — August 23, 2016 @ 10:50 am - August 23, 2016

12. I have noticed that about the nurture thing, a lot of gay men have strong willed, dominant mothers that they are tied to emotionally. Anybody else see that also?

Comment by Juan — August 23, 2016 @ 8:57 pm - August 23, 2016

13. *Raises hand tentatively*

Comment by Sean L — August 23, 2016 @ 8:59 pm - August 23, 2016

14. And even more straight men have strong willed, dominant mothers with whom they are tied emotionally.

My own mother was strong willed, but my father was much more so; my husband’s mother was also a doctor and had a strong personality, but his father was a career military officer and was most definitely dominant.

I would not completely rule out the possibility of other causal factors, but from my own experience, I am satisfied that I was born gay. But whatever. I have had the great fortune of spending the last 31 years the love of my life and pray it is God’s will that we have many more years together. Life is good. I won’t waste any of it worrying about the why’s. Did enough of that as a teenager.

Comment by David in N.O. — August 24, 2016 @ 12:54 am - August 24, 2016

15. Niall:11.I only speak for myself, but I don’t believe I was born gay. That doesn’t mean I made a conscious choice. Nature vs nurture. For me, nurture won the battle.

But see, that reflects a deliberate strawman invented by the leftists. NO ONE who says something even as badly phrased as “being ‘gay’ is a choice” means that persons afflicted with homosexual desire were just sitting around and one day made one single choice on the matter.

Comment by Ilíon — August 24, 2016 @ 7:56 am - August 24, 2016

16. “I’ve wondered whether or not lefty-lesbians “shop” for sperm donors based on physical and/or intellectual traits.” Rumor has it that Jodie Foster dropped $50k for her turkey baster ammo. A PhD in chem., no less.

Comment by recumbentdriver — August 25, 2016 @ 6:42 am - August 25, 2016