Wankers Once Again Upset at an Author for Not Retconning Characters as Gay

Posted by V the K at 5:25 pm - October 20, 2016.
Filed under: Gay Culture,Writing

Author S.E. Hinton was asked if the characters in ‘The Outsiders’ were gay. She said no. Social Justice Wankers… because their lives are somehow invalidated unless fictional characters from pop-literature are gay… told her she was horrible for not making her characters conform to their social desires.

One reader called Hinton’s responses “trash,” writing, “Why would you reject young gay kids interpreting your characters in a way that makes them feel safe?”

“Young gay kids can identify with the book without me saying the characters are gay,”Hinton replied. “I never ever set out to make anyone feel safe.”

On the left, all literature must serve the party.

In 1928, the Central Committee (of the Soviet Union) established the right of the party to exercise guidance over literature; and in 1932 literary and artistic organizations were restructured to promote a specified style called socialist realism. Works that did not contribute to the building of socialism were banned. Lenin had seen the need for increasing revolutionary consciousness in workers. Stalin now asserted that art should not merely serve society, but do so in a way determined by the party and its megalomaniacal plans for transforming society. As a result, artists and intellectuals as well as political figures became victims of the Great Terror of the 1930s.

I have a personal investment in this story; “Ponyboy” was my college nickname.

1. Ponyboy?? Hmmmmm……

Comment by Ted B. (Charging Rhino) — October 20, 2016 @ 5:39 pm - October 20, 2016

2. How young are the characters in this book?

If they are below the age of puberty, sorry, the character does not know if they are gay, and it is ridiculous to push them in one direction or another.

Comment by Craig Smith — October 20, 2016 @ 5:49 pm - October 20, 2016

3. When I was 15 I was raped by the boyfriend of my 19 yo sister. She never spoke me since and married someone else but blamed me since because war on women. Hillary. I carried and birth to a child of rape. To me it wasn’t how he began, only that he began. I gave him to adoption, the hardest thing I ever did, but I I was 15, and I wanted so much that I knew I couldn’t give. I picked his parents, and financially they could give everything to him that I couldn’t, the love they had was what I wanted. He was they’re child. It was the hardest thing I’ve ever done, I never thought of myself so giving. No I don’t think I’m selfish or sell centered at all,I didn’t make that decision for me, but for him. But according to Clinton I should have aborted him, my beautiful child, that even though I couldn’t care for him some wonderful couple could, or since I actually selfishlisey had him then I was so self centered I gave him up to loving parents. I was 15 years old, and Hillary Clinton telling me how horrible I was, and she says she A role model. For who? Me? My child? His parents?

Comment by Tilly — October 20, 2016 @ 6:04 pm - October 20, 2016

4. Well said, Tilly.

Comment by Craig Smith — October 20, 2016 @ 6:21 pm - October 20, 2016

5. When did The Outsiders come out? 70s?

The deranged SJWs are working their way back, I suppose.

Were any of the animals in Animal Farm gay? Grapes of Wrath? Starship Troopers? Peanuts?

Comment by KCRob — October 20, 2016 @ 6:35 pm - October 20, 2016

6. these people are not sjw’s. they are leftist totalitarians. justice is the last thing they are interested in.

Comment by salg — October 20, 2016 @ 7:15 pm - October 20, 2016

7. Ms. Hinton could simply have replied, “That wasn’t my intent but I encourage my readers to create whatever back story that they choose to.” Unless there is sexuality portrayed or the characters discuss it, readers can decide for themselves. But why be disappointed with the author? Why does she have to see her characters as gay because they do? They’re imaginary people! They don’t exist! Make them aliens from space in human form, if that’s your pleasure.

Comment by JuJuBee — October 20, 2016 @ 7:45 pm - October 20, 2016

8. “In our next episode Ponyboy, discovers he is too small for an NYC bathhouse.” I assume this must be some sort of human transform into animal bestiality they are trying to come up with.

Tilly there are rumors that HilLIARy had an abortion of a son because they thought it would be politically better to have daughters.

Funny Dennis Miller video from 2000 that is more accurate about HilLIARy now than it was then.

Comment by Steve — October 20, 2016 @ 8:28 pm - October 20, 2016

9. They are not even pretending anymore: Cohen to the 3rd power

1 Roger Cohen New York Times: Aleppo is alone, alone beneath the bombs of Russian and Syrian jets, alone to face the violent whims of President Vladimir Putin and President Bashar al-Assad
    Aleppo, symbol of failure, symbol of indifference, symbol of American retreat, should not have been left to bleed

2 Richard Cohen Washington Post :But doing nothing is not nothing. It is a policy of its own, in this case allowing the creation of a true axis of evil: a gleeful, high-kicking chorus line of Russia, Iran and Bashar al-Assad’s Syria

3- Nick Cohen The Guardian: From the president of the United States, via the liberal left and nationalist right, to you and me, are we all Jeremy Corbyn now? When we turn off the pictures from Aleppo and look in the mirror, do we see the blandly wicked features of the Labour leader gazing back at us

Comment by Steve — October 20, 2016 @ 9:35 pm - October 20, 2016

10. This whole gay cudgel thing is deeply unsettling. I’m reading Orlando Figes’ book ‘The Whisperers’ at the moment, perhaps the most harrowing book I’ve ever read, about private life in Soviet Russia and how things worked. The echoes between then and the progressives of today is enough to send you screaming into the street yelling STOP! Apparently nothing changes, certainly not the Left’s playbook.

Comment by automan — October 20, 2016 @ 9:41 pm - October 20, 2016

11. Honestly, after reading it a couple times, part of me started to wonder if Dally wasn’t actually in love with Johnny. This was as a middle-schooler, mind you. If I saw it then…

It’s one of the few times I think interpreting a homosexual angle doesn’t color our understanding of the character’s motivation too much, and doesn’t clash too much with what happens in the story.

Comment by Sean L — October 20, 2016 @ 10:01 pm - October 20, 2016

12. When did The Outsiders come out? 70s?

The novel was released April 24, 1967; the film was released March, 1983. Though not stated in the book, the setting was in 1965 Tulsa (a hotbed of barely hidden homosexuality, I’m sure).

Ponyboy is 14, Sodapop and Johnny Cade are 16, Darry is 20.

SE Hinton started writing the book when she was 15, and 18 when it was published. Though YA fiction is much more dark today, it had to have been pretty dark for its time and putting a conscious, though masked, subtext like an alternative expression of sexuality would have been too much for the time. It was apparently controversial at the time of publication for the topics addressed, and much later, was ranked #38 on the American Library Association’s Top 100 Most Frequently Challenged Books of 1990–1999.

Though I never saw Rumble Fish, one of my favorite ‘small’ movies was based on another SEH novel, Tex. It stars a very young and dreamy Matt Dillon in his first major big screen role.

Fun fact: SE Hinton had a cameo in all the movie adaptations of her books. In The Outsiders, she plays a nurse in Dallas’s hospital room.

Comment by RSG — October 21, 2016 @ 3:04 am - October 21, 2016

13. Ya know, I always wondered about Fred Flintstone and Barney Rubble, and we all know about Skipper and his Little Buddy…

Comment by runningrn — October 21, 2016 @ 8:48 am - October 21, 2016

14. Oh, and Tilly, thank you for sharing your very personal story with us. I cannot imagine going through all that as a 15 year old. Wow.

Comment by runningrn — October 21, 2016 @ 8:49 am - October 21, 2016

15. Well for that matter, Brutus & Popeye, Ralph Cramden & Norton, etc..

Comment by pawfurbear — October 21, 2016 @ 8:56 am - October 21, 2016

16. “October 20, 2016
    Ms. Hinton could simply have replied, “That wasn’t my intent but I encourage my readers to create whatever back story that they choose to.” ”

Why should she even need to do that? She has a very specific vision of these characters and she shared that vision. If people don’t like it, they can write their own damn books.

Comment by The_Livewire — October 21, 2016 @ 9:46 am - October 21, 2016

17. Holy crap, Pawfurbear! You’re right! Brutus and Popeye!! Olive Oyl was a very, very poor beard!! I hadn’t thought about Brutus and Popeye’s relationship before, but I always thought it was beyond weird that they were battling each other over an unattractive, skinny, flat chested, screeching, bossy harridan like Olive Oyl. Now I know!! She was probably batting for the other team as well! EVERYONE was probably gay! Sweet Pea too!

Comment by runningrn — October 21, 2016 @ 10:38 am - October 21, 2016

18. I used to picture GI Joe and Ken as boyfriends. Also, Batman and Superman…

Comment by TnnsNe1 — October 21, 2016 @ 11:03 am - October 21, 2016