“Let Them Eat Cake 2016”

Posted by V the K at 8:57 am - October 24, 2016.
Filed under: National Politics

A leftist Hillary supporter at Bloomberg offers his advice to the political class on how to deal with the millions of Americans who will vote for Donald Trump because of their declining economic circumstances (driven by deliberate Government policy choices) and their sense that the Government has grown corrupt and indifferent: Ignore them.

Come Election Day, we should vote as though this election matters more than others. Fundamental political structures and moralityreally are at stake. And on Nov. 9, we should go back to pretending it never happened, and that in the words of Sinclair Lewis, it can’t happen here.

There’s a little bit of condescending lip-service in the piece of “Let’s sort of pretend Trump voters aren’t really ‘deplorables,’ for the sake of the country,” but overall the message is that the political class should just treat this as a brief national tantrum and move on with the progressive experiment.

I am pretty sure pretending Trump never happened and the concerns of his voters were illegitimate was what the Political Class was planning to do anyway: Hillary will propose policies and continue the Obama scheme of simply imposing them by executive fiat. Republicans will pretend to oppose some of these policies, but will fund them completely and do little to stop them while the parties and the Democrat Media Complex distract us with a circus of “investigations” that go nowhere and accomplish nothing.

1. In other words, if you are an American patriot, then hold your nose and vote for Trump.

Comment by Ilíon — October 24, 2016 @ 10:31 am - October 24, 2016

2. Here’s a glimpse of Hilary voters with another foolish protest in RI

Comment by pawfurbear — October 24, 2016 @ 11:35 am - October 24, 2016

3. Fundamental political structures and morality really are at stake.

That? …From a Hillary Clinton partisan? Bwahhahhahhahhahhah!!

If only Trump had given his Gettysburg Speech two-months ago. **le sigh**

Comment by Ted B. (Charging Rhino) — October 24, 2016 @ 12:35 pm - October 24, 2016

4. Sinclair Lewis was an icon when babble was king in the world of fiction. The “it can’t happen here” in the quote is a reference to the Lewis book with that title and the “it” is fascism.

Lewis was a lazy socialist who didn’t have the fire in his belly. His mentor, Upton Sinclair was largely disgusted with him for not carrying the torch for socialism in his writing. Lewis sold story plots to another socialist friend, Jack London, who juiced them up and sold them as short stories to the Saturday Evening Post. London, gave the plots substance and a voice which Lewis could not find for his own purposes.

We don’t read Sinclair Lewis today because he has no voice. He spills a simplistic narration without much irony. The characters mouth “dialogue” that it both banal and two dimensional.

So, the socialists are right to look to him as the sort of peroxide bath you pour over a wound and then move on.

Upton Sinclair, on the other hand, didn’t write about bruises and scratches; he wrote about gangrene. And you don’t pour peroxide on gangrene, say it can’t happen here and move on.

The political establishment refuses to take the rot in the head of the fish seriously. The entire political zeitgeist is measured in how quickly we move toward the entrenched nanny state.

I am particularly struck by this from the quote:

“Fundamental political structures and morality really are at stake.”

We have all been shepherded into a Sinclair Lewis world in which there is no inner voice in the narrative; in which “fundamental political structures” and “morality” are just words without substance, meaning or consequence. It is psychobabble in a spume of “feel good” drivel.

What do you think “fundamental political structures” and “morality” mean when uttered by Politico, The New York Times, Paul Ryan, Bill Clinton, Nancy Pelosi, Cher, Rachel Maddow, CNN, or just about any political establishment voice?

Hence we arrive at where VtheK took us:

Hillary will propose policies and continue the Obama scheme of simply imposing them by executive fiat. Republicans will pretend to oppose some of these policies, but will fund them completely and do little to stop them while the parties and the Democrat Media Complex distract us with a circus of “investigations” that go nowhere and accomplish nothing.

Comment by Heliotrope — October 24, 2016 @ 1:26 pm - October 24, 2016

5. Here, essentially, is the dilemma of the American Right: vote for Trump- even though he is very obviously not a conservative and rubs many of them the wrong way morally- to deny Hillary the presidency, and hope that Congress will use their dislike of Trump to block any bad plans he has; or abandon the Republican Party altogether and vote for somebody like Evan McMullin in protest of both major parties’ moral decay and political corruption and try to accelerate the Republican Party’s collapse and create the foundation for its replacement party.

All-in-all, I think a lot of people are just motivated by a desire to trash the Republican Party, and Trump was the way they decided to do it, without really caring about the National Election. The Republicans have rested on Reagan’s laurels ever since he left office, and two mid-terms of record wins and numbers for them have resulted in six years of (at best) lukewarm opposition to one of the most authoritarian presidents in history despite a very clear mandate from their constituents to fight Obama tooth and nail.

If elections have consequences, than so to do campaign promises, and the Republicans are learning that their constituents aren’t happy about the undelivered bill of goods they were promised. Hence throwing the fox that is Trump into the Republican hen house. Because let’s face it: if Donald Trump, sloppy and disorganized as he is, could defeat every adversary in a political battle royale including conservatism’s supposed “saviors,” then does the Republican Party deserve to continue?

The political status quo in the country has been in place for fifty years. Time for a paradigm shift.

Comment by Sean L — October 24, 2016 @ 4:11 pm - October 24, 2016

6. Donald Trump is the candidate of the Republican Party in 2016 as a result in the Party’s absolute failure to put-forth a supportable and electable alternative.

The “Party Elites”, Functionaries, Old-school Brahmans and Beltway drones have lost all-contact with the actual electorate in the Heartland and Fly-Over Country. They have been seduced, corrupted or co-opted by the same forces that hold the Democratic Party in-thrall.

Comment by Ted B. (Charging Rhino) — October 24, 2016 @ 4:38 pm - October 24, 2016

7. @ Ted B.: Witness how quickly some members of the #NeverTrump crowd (excluding V the K and folks like him) adopted language and attitudes they formerly condemned when they were uttered and expressed by liberals even two years ago against anybody who declared allegiance to Trump or expressed anything less than absolute loathing for him.

Honestly, the #NeverTrump movement could have persuaded me not to vote for him in the primaries. But they just had to play the Godwin card for a good, solid year. And after years of hearing liberals play it on everybody who didn’t have a “D” after their name, could you blame me for not giving their arguments the time of day? Then came the absolute insanity of the post-primary season and the meltdown that occurred then, which turned me off even more, and even freaked out people who had no intention of voting for Trump. It’s only been in the post-convention period when everybody has gotten their heads screwed on again that I’ve found people calm and reasonable enough to listen to.

Long story short: Trump’s not the candidate I thought he would be or would’ve wanted, but the #NeverTrump movement when full HuffPo/Tumblr/Slate, and being confronted by behavior that I had previously associated with only liberals, I tuned it out. Talks like a duck, probably a duck, right? So yes, the Republican base got snookered, willingly at that, but the #NeverTrump crowd certainly drove at least some people to Trump- or at least, away from better candidates- with their lunatic nonsense.

Comment by Sean L — October 24, 2016 @ 5:10 pm - October 24, 2016

8. Per SeanL, Trump’s not the candidate I would have preferred… but the US as it is right now isn’t the country I would have preferred and the lick-spittle DC-GOP is certainly not the representation I would have preferred.

So Trump it is… the country needs an enema and Trump’s as likely to be the enema it needs as anyone. If HRC wins, I suspect we will just need to adjust to life in a transformed “nation” (didn’t BHO promise fundamental transformation?). If HRC wins then We The People will deserve it (so the Prof Umbridge thing works).

Steyn knocked this out of the part last week with a riff on the corruption of our government.

For today’s example: DOJ extorts money from business to channel to “community organizers” (lefties).

Comment by KCRob — October 24, 2016 @ 6:35 pm - October 24, 2016

9. Sean L – I respect your opinion, but I want to be clear about my viewpoint. I’m not voting for Trump, but I am also not #NeverTrump to the degree that that means I want him stopped at all costs. I don’t think Trump is Hitler nor do I think his followers are genocidal National Socialists. I can in fact see Trump as a potential emetic for the corrupt system. I would never discourage anyone from voting for Trump. I hope he somehow pulls off a miracle and wins, but I can’t be a part of it.

But I can’t vote for him. It’s partly a matter of character, I thought his primary campaign was sleazy and unethical. It’s also partly a matter that I never believed he stood a chance. Trump was the opponent hillary wanted, and the GOP gave her him. This whole thing has become an exercise in futility. I can’t believe my vote would even matter even if my conscience allowed it.

Comment by V the K — October 24, 2016 @ 6:43 pm - October 24, 2016

10. VtheK,

I believe we are all doing a lot of bar talk here and I include myself.

Last week, I had to drive from central Virginia to Harrisburg, Pa and over to near Dover, N. J. and then back down through NJ, Delaware, Md and back to central Virginia. We were on a lot of state roads and local country lanes in the process. I had a Democrat (who is voting for Trump) with me and we looked for yard signs and bumper stickers. What we did NOT see was any evidence whatsoever of Hillary signs of bumper stickers. But the Trump signs were huge in size and many were home made on pieces of 4′ by 8′ plywood.

My “official” analysis is that some voters are yelling their choice defiantly and many voters are keeping a low profile.

It is my uninformed belief that this is THE tipping point campaign. We the people are either going to get the chance to take our government back or we are going to be herded into the future by a government over which we have little control.

I told a friend who has been praised as being the go-to guru of election analysis that I would give Trump the odds of sweeping into office with a “landslide.” That was in June. This guru asked if I would give Trump 10 points. I said I would. He asks me regularly if I want to revise my spread or change my prediction. Why should I? I have no idea in the world how many really, really pissed off people are going the up and vote for the first time in (maybe) decades. There must be a lot, because the DemonizingRats are trying to tar them as deplorables and sewer slop.

Early on, I said Trump was a force to be reckoned with. When he got the nomination, I switched and said that the force to be reckoned with came together and backed Trump.

One issue I can not get a handle on is just what is so darned awful about Trump. I imagine he lies. I imagine he’s crude. I know he’s a showboat who flaunts glitz and glitter, but so what? If conservatives have to have a refined grandee to lead them, they had best examine the available pool and reintroduce themselves to how the DemonizingRats play the game.

Trump has caged the votes of a lot of “undesirables” who could never come to his country clubs. They know it and don’t care. Nor do they care squat about his “aura” of crudeness. And, when the duplicitous and hypocritical critics of Trump attack him, these people know it is also the same old crass class snobbery they live with every day. So it likely makes them even more determined to toss a skunk into the henhouse.

Jessie Watters did his O’Reilly schtick with a bunch of bikers. They were just itching to vote for Trump. And so it goes with lots of Trump hoi polloi. Now, does the Trump dumpster of deplorables equal or outnumber the welfare plantation crowd? Has anyone seen any pollsters who have even attempted to find out?

To each his own. I have no trouble voting for Trump (actually I voted absentee) but that is not so much an endorsement as it is a vote to derail the DemonizingRat train.

Some day, I hope the country can get back to protecting “fundamental political structures and morality.” I doubt I will live to see it.

Comment by Heliotrope — October 24, 2016 @ 8:43 pm - October 24, 2016

11. “A Vote of Treason
    It has taken several months and a number of email dumps from Wikileaks to finally figure out what this presidential election is all about. There are only two ways to vote, for Donald Trump or for Hillary Clinton. But neither of those are what one would be voting for.

A vote for Donald Trump is a vote to resist the massive corruption of government, a vote against globalism, against “global warming” or “climate change” theology; it is a vote against media collusion and interference in politics. A vote for Donald Trump is not a vote for the person at all, that is why despite the media onslaught of negative stories about him as a person carries no weight with those who support him, because they don’t support him at all, they support what he represents, which is a chance to hold Hillary Clinton responsible for her crimes and therefore all of the crooked politicians of 2012 who coerced votes out of their Republican base only to turn on them the next day.

Likewise, a vote for Hillary Clinton is a vote for a transformed America, a quasi-police state where the government intervenes in business and forces some out of business while subsidizing other businesses that could not possibly sustain themselves without massive graft and media brainwashing. All of those businesses would be held hostage to a criminal organization originating from the White House. It would be a vote to end forever the concept of individual rights. Hillary Clinton would do no less than continue the work of the Obama Administration to destroy individual rights and nearly half of the nation is in favor of just that. It would be a continued replacement of the voters who value the principles of the founding of this nation with those who have no like expectation. It is a vote for the sudden disappearance of websites like this one.

The outcome is bigger than that. The next president will likely be a true war-time president. As Vladimir Zhirinovsky claimed a vote for Hillary Clinton would be a vote for war. War with Russia may be inevitable and irrespective of the election as it seems likely that war will begin before the next president can take office. But, there is the question of who would be more likely to effectively fight that war. More than that, would our military leaders be willing to follow the orders of a criminal like Hillary Clinton running a crime organization out of Washington? Would they put their lives in jeopardy knowing the cold-blooded actions she demonstrated in Benghazi? Or, would they likely recognize that their lives meant nothing to the Commander in Chief?

So many things are now known about the media establishment and the collusion it shares with the Clinton campaign. More things are being found out every day as Wikileaks provides proof of the public perception. The people were right, there is a conspiracy to keep them uninformed and misinformed to protect Democrat politicians from facing scandals. It is clear now that there will never be a Democrat held accountable for their actions and therefore the only time Americans can expect to get anything other than abusive and criminal officeholders is if they elect a Republican.

This is where we get back to a vote for Donald Trump is nothing other than a vote for accountable leadership. A vote for Hillary Clinton is giving up on that ideal. A vote for Hillary Clinton is a vote to abolish the very principles of elected officials, because if their misdeeds can never be told and their abuses never aired, what have we? That we have so many in this nation willing to vote for Hillary tells us all we need to know about the other side, that they have already given up, that they would rather have a totalitarian system. A vote for Hillary is, in effect an act of treason.”

Comment by Rosey — October 24, 2016 @ 9:58 pm - October 24, 2016

12. I suspect that the Republican base is more in-tune with Trump that the Elites of both Parties will admit. Event at his cringworthy-worst, what he says isn’t that far from what many in the Heartland and Fly-Over might at-least occasionally think — even if they self-edited themselves before actually muttering the-same […in front of others].

Comment by Ted B. (Charging Rhino) — October 24, 2016 @ 10:14 pm - October 24, 2016

13. I think some of y’all are overthinking and giving too much credence to the Rise Of Trump. Simply put, Donald J. Trump is a master persuader, much like one of his high-profile guests at his last wedding. It’s part of the reason why he has been so successful in one of the toughest cities in the world in which to do business. Few other people have their name (yes, purposely so) on buildings in as many cities as DJT and hereto now have been successful with those properties. Yes, he’s an egomaniac and a shameless self-promoter, and probably a pig in general; but America seems to like charmers who are really charlatans (and/or pigs) as Presidents.

The fact is there were electable candidates in the 2016 Republican primaries; the only major unelectable one being the one no one knew was actually running [Jim Gilmore]. (This of course begs the definition of who is truly “electable”, as the Dems who nominated stuffy, snobby Lurch in 2004 found out.) Further, some who were perceived as being quite electable shot themselves in the foot via sleazy campaign tactics and by promoting and defending their primary opponent [Ted Cruz].

However, only 9% of the voting electorate combined chose both candidates at the helm of the two major parties. That’s not 9% of the population, or 9% of the electorate, that’s 9% of the people who actually voted in the primaries. (AFAIK, that doesn’t include caucus states, of which my state is one—who, incidentally, chose Cruz, with one holdout Trump delegate.)  That’s not an overwhelming mandate for anything, as much as many would like to make it so. Part of any reforms which may happen in the next four years need to include the way in which presidential frontrunners are chosen, in both parties. It seems absurd that candidates are chosen largely in relation to their success in specific states in the two eastern time zones fairly early in the election calendar. (That there is a de facto five month general election period is exhausting in and of itself.)

So in reality, something less than 9% of voters were motivated by “a desire to trash the Republican Party” or who were desirous of a paradigm shift, assuming that those who voted for The Donald did so out of that mindset. Thus, at least partial explanation for the backlash against the eventual nominee. Sure, one can couch it in all sort of diatribes against his electability, his character, his language and rhetoric, but a large part of the backlash would seem to result from frustration over the selection of the nominee of the many by a decided few. It just makes it easier when you have a candidate who is personally so unlikable.

Let us also remember that the pundit class, much like author Ken Auletta’s take on media bias, thrives on conflict. Part of the vehemency of the #NeverTrump crowd rests in a desire for self-preservation. The meteoric rise of Rush Limbaugh occurred after a tepid endorsement of George H.W. Bush in 1992 and the resulting election of Billy Jeff Clinton. This was a windfall for a broadcaster who had limited coverage in select radio markets previously and who subsequently became a multi-millionaire by being the principal civilian opposition to a governor from a low-key southern state and his scheming wife; as well as who, it could be said, single-handedly revitalized sleepy AM radio and transformed it into a talk radio juggernaut.

Similarly, there are new media personalities who are hoping to maintain their current grip on popular punditry or hoping to expand, should a Hillary presidency ensue, to become the next El Rushbo. This will enable them to say both “I told you so!” and “Join me in stopping The Witch in her efforts to do X.” This will likely come at the expense of the All Donald, All The Time set ({cough} Sean Hannity, Ann Coulter {cough}), so being careful to position oneself at the correct point on the opinion scale at the right time is key. Then there are those who will seek to ascend the oppositional throne by being contrarian at all times and opposing both The Dreaded Establishment (however they choose to define it) and the Second Coming of the Clinton Regime. [I’m looking at you, Mark Levin—ya big dope.]

The next four years are likely to be a more nasty version of 1993-1996. Charges of an Even Vaster Right Wing Conspiracy mixed in with charges of unbridled misogyny together with the slow drip of scandal after scandal (several large, but mostly small ones) and a still-divided electorate will make for challenging times. While the clandestine e-mail release from Democrat operatives seem to indicate a preference for all the Trump supporters to crawl back under the respective rocks from which they are alleged to have come, that will not likely be the case. How they will present themselves in the coming months is anyone’s guess, but the person who would like to be thought of as Elizabeth II will more likely be thought of as more closely resembling Marie Antoinette. There will be lessons to be learned from that perception, but given the historic lack of self-awareness by the principal, I do not expect such learning to occur.

Comment by RSG — October 24, 2016 @ 10:28 pm - October 24, 2016

14. ‘I am pretty sure pretending Trump never happened and the concerns of his voters were illegitimate was what the Political Class was planning to do anyway: . . ‘

No surprise there. The Political Class is currently pretending the enormous civil rights progress in this country over the last 60 years never happened.

Comment by Blair Ivey — October 24, 2016 @ 10:43 pm - October 24, 2016

15. Excuse me while I scootch in here & give my 2 cents.

I’m going to vote for Trump for 3 reasons.
    I’d never vote for a Democrat. Ever.
    I want my vote to count & I don’t do protest votes out of nobility because there’s too much strategy in my blood & too much at stake.
    I like Trump’s stated & re-stated agenda, which Conservatives & conservative Republicans have been actually hoping for, for how many years?

I’ve voted for the GOP Nominee to win since Reagan first ran. I liked him. Since then I’ve voted for the GOP Nominee because I don’t like Tax & Spend Democrats, their changeable agendas or the destruction & damage they’ve wrought on the country & the world. Bush Jr. & McCain were particularly offensive to me but I voted for them because of what I gleaned from their agendas & because they were the Nominees on the Right. I voted for Romney, even though I knew he’d not be able to throw punches, but I trusted the lukewarm Republican’s stated agenda & knew that he’d keep his promises.

I despise Hillary & those like her. She’s lied to the country, she’s been inept & destructive already! She’s got blood on her hands.

I want my vote to actually count for something. My vote has a value & I’ve made a career out of assigning value. I understand that there are some people that immediately just don’t like another individual & refuse to be around or support them. I get it. But, when it comes to my country, I see a vote for anyone other than Trump as – a vote for Hillary & that decaying husband of hers who’ll take his perverse behind back into the White House, so he can gloat & do who knows what.

Trump is just a business man. He’s not politician & he’s not necessarily the most polite man in the world. He’s from Queens for godsakes.

Comment by Hanover — October 24, 2016 @ 11:44 pm - October 24, 2016

16. To all you “never Trumpers” perhaps you should read this. I can promise you no one has written any such article about Hillary.

Comment by KC — October 25, 2016 @ 12:47 pm - October 25, 2016

17. I’m suspecting the Polls are missing a huuuuuge Trump undercount. Here in the outer-suburbs of central and southern NJ there are no Hillary yard signs or telephone pole signs anywhere. Yet there are so many Trump-2016 yard signs you would think Trump was the local popular Realtor.

Comment by Ted B. (Charging Rhino) — October 26, 2016 @ 7:08 am - October 26, 2016

18. I’m suspecting the Polls are missing a huuuuuge Trump undercount. Here in the outer-suburbs of central and southern NJ there are no Hillary yard signs or telephone pole signs anywhere. Yet there are so many Trump-2016 yard signs you would think Trump was the local popular Realtor.

I think you’re right about that. On Tuesday, I did a day trip to a neighboring state which went from red to blue for the first time in almost 30 years in sending Billy Jeff to the White House and later Barack Obama (twice). It’s once-purple status was reassigned to blue by a local pollster a few weeks ago by virtue of several key demographic changes.

Yet I didn’t see that vast outpouring of support for the candidate of the Democrats reflected in any promotional materials. The only bumper sticker I saw was a faded “Obama/Biden 2012” one on a Prius (natch). I saw no Hillary yard signs and in fact most of the yard signs I did see were for down-ballot races. Meanwhile, in the more conservative northern part of the state, there were construction areas where “TRUMP/PENCE” signs were plastered over billboards and/or propped up where the last vestiges of seasonal road construction were taking place. They were illuminated to be visible at night as well. Now in all fairness I didn’t have time to troll around a lot of neighborhoods, and certainly not those in which the sane, rational, and beautiful people live; I’m sure a few signs for Hillary Umbridge were there, but I certainly recall a lot more signs for BHO four and eight years ago.

I’ve also heard anecdotal stories of people who hang up on pollsters rather than inform them that they are Trump supporters. The part which was potentially worrying for the Republican candidate was the enthusiasm gap, which seemed to be narrowing prior to Friday. There are few worse things for a campaign than to have your own supporters lose hope and/or faith and develop a “what’s the use?” attitude and potentially not show up to vote for your guy/gal. This is a secondary reason why I suspect the Corrupt Queen’s campaign has been urging their supporters to vote early. Not only does the ratio of Dems vs Reps voting early seem like there’s a tidal wave of support for Ms Invincible, but once you get people to cast their vote, they can’t change it should a case of Buyer’s Remorse set in, particularly amidst newly emerging unflattering revelations.

However now that another not-quite-a-fart stain has landed upon the political pantsuit of she-who-shall-not-be-denied, any concerns about enthusiasm for the Republican candidate shouldn’t be an issue. If his supporters aren’t energized now, they never will be.

In short this year seems to be where many across the country feel like they are Republicans in Hollywood: smile and nod approvingly when any positive comment is made about Democrats or their candidates, but keep quiet and hold fast to your beliefs then vote your conscience when it counts.

Comment by RSG — October 30, 2016 @ 5:49 pm - October 30, 2016