Leftism can make you suicidal

According to The Hill, Suicide hotlines receive record number of calls after Trump win.

Phones have been ringing off the hook at suicide hotlines since Donald Trump was named president-elect Tuesday.

According to multiple reports, many of those calling or texting into hotlines are members of the LGBTQ community, minorities and victims of sexual assault who are worried about Trump’s victory…

The article, to its credit, at least attempts to mention real-world facts that could be relevant:

On the campaign trail, Trump told Fox News that he hoped to put Supreme Court judges on the bench who could “change things” in regards to current rulings on same-sex marriage, adding that he wished the ruling “was done by state.”

Trump’s multiple accusations of sexual assault have also been triggers for women, as well as the lewd 2005 tape recording of Trump in which he makes light of sexual assault saying, “When you’re a star, they let you do it. You can do anything.”

But notice the bad job it does: the hysterical framing. For example, the repeated and vague use of the term “sexual assault” to imply great danger to women.

Fact: Trump does not condone rape and, unlike Bill Clinton, Trump has never been credibly accused of rape. From what I remember of Trump’s comments, at worst, he condoned locker-room talk and leaning in for a kiss or proposition after the other party had signaled her interest. And yes, that could be bad – because mistakes could be made; advances could be unwanted; cheating or diseases or painful regrets could happen if things did consensually go farther. Even so, sane people must admit that Trump does not rise to the level of “Bill Clinton bad”.

So, why this hysteria of feeling unsafe or “triggered” with Trump elected and not, say, with Bill Clinton around? Or with a prospect of Hillary Clinton being elected – given that she allegedly devastated the lives of women in helping to cover up her husband’s alleged raping? By any objective standard, the Clintons endanger women more than Trump does.

As to the gay-marriage aspect: The Supreme Court decision to make it nationwide was only last year. For thousands of years, gay men, women and teenagers have survived without that particular U.S. court decision. Believing that gay marriage should be decided by the States is hardly a dangerous position. Again, why the hysteria – among some people?

I believe the answer is this. Leftism harms you. As a philosophy, leftism discourages personal responsibility – and is objectively unrealistic. Therefore, it makes you less able to think clearly about your life; more mentally and emotionally vulnerable. Plus, in the specific case of 2016 and the Hillary Clinton campaign, leftism exposes you to manipulation via many untruths and exaggerations.

To anyone who may be genuinely suicidal over Trump’s election victory: You have my pity. Yes, that’s the correct word.

pit·y
noun
1. the feeling of sorrow and compassion caused by the suffering and misfortunes of others.

Because your suffering, at least in regard to Trump, is unnecessary.

To be clear: I did not support Trump for President. And I have my doubts about what will happen now, with him. But I’m not suicidal about him. Neither was I suicidal about Obama. Why not? Because, at a fairly young age, I made a conscious choice to value my own life, to make it better no matter what, and to develop common sense and my ability to think about reality clearly.

To all sufferers of TDS (Trump Derangement Syndrome): There is still time for you to make good choices to improve your mental health and your life. I hope and pray that you will.

1. Side note to V: I added another new category, Trump-hatred.

Comment by ILoveCapitalism — November 14, 2016 @ 1:30 am - November 14, 2016

2. Pope Francis marginalizing people again, worrying about migrants again.

Comment by James — November 14, 2016 @ 6:20 am - November 14, 2016

3. As for same-sex marriage, Trump said after the Supreme Court ruling last year it’s the law of the land — and that he is “fine” with that being the case.

“It’s irrelevant because it was already settled. It’s law,” he said. “It was settled in the Supreme Court. I mean it’s done … these cases have gone to the Supreme Court. They’ve been settled. And– I th– I’m– I’m fine with that.” CBS 60 Minutes

Comment by rusty — November 14, 2016 @ 6:47 am - November 14, 2016

4. Oprah began the era of celebrated “victimhood”. All leftists wants to be on Oprah. Leftists think reality TV is reality. Leftists are showing us just how stupid and immature they are. A die-hard leftist commenting on a local newspaper said Mrs. Clinton should be given the presidency because Trump.may have broken the debate rules in the Republican debates.

Comment by tnnsne1 — November 14, 2016 @ 7:32 am - November 14, 2016

5. I did vote Trump and I volunteered for suicide watch. I even made a logo.
    I was not hired for some reason.

Comment by Miguel — November 14, 2016 @ 9:37 am - November 14, 2016

6. It sounds as if a lot of people are suffering from Trump Acceptance Refusal Disease (TARD). Symptoms include frequent crying, irritability, irrational behavior, threats to move to Canada and membership in the Democrat Party.

TARDs should be quarantined at all costs to save the Republic.

Regards,
    Peter H.

Comment by Peter Hughes — November 14, 2016 @ 10:00 am - November 14, 2016

7. SO many millennial Moms out there saying shit like, What do I tell my children… well first off, how about you continue to raise them with good values, and act as if you were their parent, not their friend. Second, what do you think it was like for all of us old folks who had to explain what the stain on the blue dress was, and how to explain what a blow job was??? Hmmmm? That was a heck of a lot more difficult than explaining to your pampered little pumpkins that a different party won the election, and those horrible ads parents let you see over and over again, were made up crap…

Comment by Trish McNamara — November 14, 2016 @ 10:09 am - November 14, 2016

8. rusty, yes… Here’s the link for people: http://www.cbsnews.com/news/60-minutes-donald-trump-family-melania-ivanka-lesley-stahl/

Lesley Stahl: One of the groups that’s expressing fear are the LGBTQ group. You–

Donald Trump: And yet I mentioned them at the Republican National Convention. And–

Lesley Stahl: You did.

Donald Trump: Everybody said, “That was so great.” I have been, you know, I’ve been-a supporter.

Lesley Stahl: Well, I guess the issue for them is marriage equality. Do you support marriage equality?

Donald Trump: It– it’s irrelevant because it was already settled. It’s law. It was settled in the Supreme Court. I mean it’s done.

Lesley Stahl: So even if you appoint a judge that–

Donald Trump: It’s done. It– you have– these cases have gone to the Supreme Court. They’ve been settled. And, I’m fine with that.

Comment by ILoveCapitalism — November 14, 2016 @ 10:10 am - November 14, 2016

9. What do I tell my children…

How about these parents admitting they were wrong? That would impress their kids. How about admitting that Hillary did some bad things and Democrats should have picked a better candidate? How about admitting that, while Trump might still turn out to be a good or bad President, he isn’t a monster?

Comment by ILoveCapitalism — November 14, 2016 @ 10:13 am - November 14, 2016

10. Comment by ILoveCapitalism , yes yes yes!

Comment by Trish McNamara — November 14, 2016 @ 11:27 am - November 14, 2016

11. “Because, at a fairly young age, I made a conscious choice to value my own life, to make it better no matter what, and to develop common sense and my ability to think about reality clearly.” EXACTLY. And that’s what parents should be encouraging in their children, as well, regardless of who wins any given election.

Comment by Samuel Gaines — November 14, 2016 @ 12:20 pm - November 14, 2016