Danish Eco-Cultist Dreams of Green Socialist EUtopia

Ida Auken is a Danish Member of Parliament and former Environment Minister. Her aspiration and vision for the future would have her (and everyone else) living a monastic and child-like existence; with no possessions, no personal privacy, and no responsibilities.

Welcome to the year 2030. Welcome to my city – or should I say, “our city”. I don’t own anything. I don’t own a car. I don’t own a house. I don’t own any appliances or any clothes….

In our city we don’t pay any rent, because someone else is using our free space whenever we do not need it. My living room is used for business meetings when I am not there…

Everything is designed for durability, repairability and recyclability. The materials are flowing more quickly in our economy and can be transformed to new products pretty easily. Environmental problems seem far away, since we only use clean energy and clean production methods. The air is clean, the water is clean and nobody would dare to touch the protected areas of nature because they constitute such value to our well being

When AI and robots took over so much of our work, we suddenly had time to eat well, sleep well and spend time with other people. The concept of rush hour makes no sense anymore, since the work that we do can be done at any time. I don’t really know if I would call it work anymore. It is more like thinking-time, creation-time and development-time.

In short, her ambition is to be a child who would never grow up; all of her concerns taken care of by others while she is freed from the responsibility for doing anything she doesn’t feel like doing.

I guess it’s less depressing for Ida Auken to contemplate a future in a Pan-European Urbanist Eco-Socialist Utopia than one in which she’s forced into a burqa and beaten for going out in public without a male relative.

1. The problem with “public ownership” is that everyone treats everything as if it belonged to them, but they don’t have to take care of it.

Comment by Craig Smith — November 30, 2016 @ 2:02 pm - November 30, 2016

2. #1 – Exactly. The modern symbol of such an attitude is the public toilet. ‘Nuff said.

Regards,
    Peter H.

Comment by Peter Hughes — November 30, 2016 @ 2:56 pm - November 30, 2016

3. Sounds like scenes from H G Well’s ‘The Time Machine’

But who are the morlocks?

Comment by nolabill — November 30, 2016 @ 3:21 pm - November 30, 2016

4. And in other news…

“Kellogg Co. announced on Tuesday its decision to pull ads from conservative media giant Breitbart.com because its 45 million monthly conservative readers are not “aligned with our values as a company.” ..Kellogg’s offered no examples of how Breitbart’s 45 million monthly readers fail to align with the breakfast maker’s values. Indeed, the move appears to be one more example of an out-of-touch corporation embracing false left-wing narratives used to cynically smear the hard working Americans that populate this nation’s heartland.”

Comment by The Poetry Man — November 30, 2016 @ 3:24 pm - November 30, 2016

5. Martin Luther said that expecting Christians and pagans to live together by a Christian standard was as ridiculous as putting sheep and wolves together in a pen and expecting the wolves to start eating grass. Same situation here: there may be some people who share Ms. Auken’s ideal and want to live it out, and I invite them to start a small collective somewhere away from the rest of us where we won’t be bothered. But don’t try to force those who have no desire to live as you do to have to tag along for the ride. And I strongly suspect that many of the people who would take Ms. Auken up on her offer would actually turn out to be wolves who are trying to full themselves that they are sheep.

Comment by Sean L — November 30, 2016 @ 3:26 pm - November 30, 2016

6. In a thread at Independent Gay Forum entitled _Castro’s Dead. Good._ (by reliably conservo-libertarian Stephen Miller), a follow-up commenter posted:

“I won’t minimize the problems with the Castro government but there is a silver lining in that the country has 100% literacy, excellent Universal health care and 80% of its food supply is organic. If only the US could manage that.”
    [emphasis added –Th.M.]

Yes, I’m sure the Cubans are delighted and grateful that their dinners of bread, rice, and beans; rice, beans, plaintains, and beans; plaintains, bread, plaintains, beans with rice, and dubious pork; rice, rice, beans with a little bit of chicken plus a side of plaintains are almost totally GMO-free. And you can bet that fear of Monsanto is NOT what drives people to cross seas on inner-tube rafts.

P.S. And what do LGBT folks in Cuba say about this? We’ll never know, because they can’t post to Independent Gay Forum or anywhere else — at least not without Mariela fookin’ Castro looking over their shoulders.

Comment by Throbert McGee — November 30, 2016 @ 3:43 pm - November 30, 2016

7. In the EUtopia, people who find making cars or furniture or shoes to be more spiritually satisfying than sitting around gabbing about Marxist theory would seem to be out of luck.

Comment by Throbert McGee — November 30, 2016 @ 3:45 pm - November 30, 2016

8. @3, it sounds a bit more like Walter Tevis’ “Mockingbird” to me. Just wait until the AI gets tired and decides it doesn’t like taking care of worthless people anymore…

Comment by Crispy — November 30, 2016 @ 3:54 pm - November 30, 2016

9. Truth and Gravity vs Socialism

List count of socialist countries failing in South America and Europe alone (if only in terms of their fiat currencies) since the early 1980s ~ 20 (if not more)…

Odds it would happen out of being merely “unlucky” vs it wouldn’t have happened = 50/50

Overall odds of failure because of bad luck = 1/2^20 = 1 chance over more than a million.

Truth vs Delusion:

Comment by Cyril — November 30, 2016 @ 4:29 pm - November 30, 2016

10. The Morlocks are Muslims, and these Eloi will be tasty bits for them.

Comment by Martel's son — November 30, 2016 @ 4:36 pm - November 30, 2016

11. Haven’t these people heard of the Tragedy of the Commons?

Comment by Juan — November 30, 2016 @ 4:39 pm - November 30, 2016

12. @Juan

I guess the answer is “indeed, they haven’t”.

Nor have they heard of Owen’s small scale “New Harmony” experiment, either.

Comment by Cyril — November 30, 2016 @ 5:59 pm - November 30, 2016

13. It’s cute how these people think that everyone, regardless of IQ and personality, will sit and chat over a cuppa tea, paint, stroll amongst the flowers, and write poetry when they’ve nothing else to do.

I look at various places with high welfare use (Appalachians , Indian reservations, and the south side of Chicago, for example) point to a bleaker reality.

That said, there is a looming problem of surplus hands – I wonder if any of the Deep Thinkers are giving this some time.

Comment by KCRob — November 30, 2016 @ 6:43 pm - November 30, 2016

14. Um, yeah, so there would be someone else using my free bed when I don’t need it? And I’m not supposed to worry about that because the robots are going to change and wash the sheets, right? And my living room will be used for business meetings when I’m not there. What if someone wanted to use my living room for something else, like a keg party or an orgy or shooting heroin? I guess that’s okay, because the robots will clean up before I get home, right? What if the people are still busy drinking and doing drugs in my living room when I get back? Will the robots throw them out for me?

Comment by Conservative guy — November 30, 2016 @ 7:34 pm - November 30, 2016

15. Speaking of economic laws vs bs…

Peeking Behind The Curtain

(first 30 minutes)

Comment by Cyril — December 1, 2016 @ 12:31 am - December 1, 2016

16. (“Enjoy”, if I dare say.)

Comment by Cyril — December 1, 2016 @ 1:15 am - December 1, 2016

17. Um, yeah, so there would be someone else using my free bed when I don’t need it?

This is exactly what I thought of when I read the story. And it seems that one could logically expect bedroom use to combine with “business meetings” in order to satisfy the income requirement needed to make the scheme work. It can’t possibly be cheap; Scandinavian cities are on a par with larger US cities in terms of non-affordability.

The whole plan just has an ick-factor which exceeds my comfort zone. OTOH, this could be a possible solution for reducing the homeless problem (at least for those few who do not have unmanageable mental illness).

Comment by RSG — December 1, 2016 @ 3:33 am - December 1, 2016

18. The Danes used to be such a logical people; nice cookies, tasty cheeses and great furniture.

Comment by Ted B. (Charging Rhino) — December 1, 2016 @ 9:40 am - December 1, 2016

19. Sounds like Logan’s Run.

Comment by Matthew the Oilman — December 2, 2016 @ 7:41 pm - December 2, 2016