Dems have been complaining for months & months about Dir. Comey. Now that he has been fired they PRETEND to be aggrieved. Phony hypocrites!
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) May 10, 2017
UPDATE: A commenter has made a reasonable challenge in another thread:
the default position of folks on this site is that there is nothing problematic about any of this stuff. Can you imagine what the editorial (and commentator) voice of this site would be like if this was happening during a Democratic Administration?
Speaking only for myself, I’d like to accept that challenge and do a little thought-experiment. Suppose that:
- Hillary wins in November 2016. As today, both Democrats and Republicans are furious at Comey (for different reasons).
- Upon winning, Hillary is surrounded by allegations that China or Saudi Arabia colluded with her to “hack our democracy”.
- In real life, they probably have hacked our democracy. But, for this thought-experiment: Let’s say that the allegations are evidence-free innuendo, circulated by the VRWC to stir up Tea Party protests, raise funds and de-legitimize Hillary’s presidency.
- Comey occasionally feeds the innuendo, on top of the crap he did in 2016.
- But Comey does not target Hillary with a criminal investigation. He only does a counter-intelligence investigation into China and Saudi Arabia.
- DNI Clapper clears Hillary of any actual collusion with China or Saudi Arabia. Republicans are forced to admit (in this thought-experiment) that they really have no evidence.
- Whereupon Hillary says “OK, we know Comey has damaged people’s trust in the FBI and this is the right moment to replace him.” She fires him.
Our leftie friends would praise her decisiveness. How would I feel? Honestly, I’d be suspicious of her replacement for Comey. I’d watch that with a lot of worry. A lot. Even so, I believe that I wouldn’t do what some of our leftie friends have done:
- Calling it a constitutional crisis, like she doesn’t have the authority to fire Comey. (She does.)
- Calling it a coup d’etat. (It isn’t.)
- Claiming that she has obstructed a criminal investigation. (None exists to be obstructed.)