Discovery versus The Orville

Posted by V the K at 7:13 pm - May 17, 2017.
Filed under: Pop Culture

CBS has released a trailer for its repeatedly delayed Star Trek:Diversity Discovery. It looks… tedious… full of itself… somewhat pretentious. Yup, it’s Star Trek, all right. With added virtue signalling. (Female minority captains and a gay guy!)

And I have to buy a subscription to a PayTV service to watch it? SRSLY? Dude, I don’t even have cable.

Frankly, Fox’s new space series The Orville looks like a helluva lot more fun. I wonder how long before Fox gives it the Firefly treatment.

YouTube Preview Image

10 Comments »

1. I am SO over Star Trek. Its vision of the future is a left-wing racist military dictatorship that lies about itself, pretending to be democratic and humane. Remarkably like today’s Left.

Comment by ILoveCapitalism — May 17, 2017 @ 7:40 pm - May 17, 2017

2. What’s “The Firefly treatment”?

Comment by Phil — May 17, 2017 @ 8:59 pm - May 17, 2017

3. Firefly Treatment: Horrible marketing followed by abrupt cancellation

Comment by V the K — May 17, 2017 @ 9:13 pm - May 17, 2017

4. But it’s Seth Macfarlane. He has never done anything funny or original. This looks like a cheap ripoff of Galaxy Quest.

Comment by Juan — May 17, 2017 @ 9:25 pm - May 17, 2017

5. I’m with Juan — I think several of the jokes in that trailer were straight out of GQ.

Still, I had a good friend pushing me on this Macfarlane thing and now V as well, I’ll probably check it out at some point.

Comment by Sathar — May 17, 2017 @ 10:10 pm - May 17, 2017

6. This looks like a cheap ripoff of Galaxy Quest.

That was my first thought.

Comment by CrayCrayPatriot — May 17, 2017 @ 11:24 pm - May 17, 2017

7. Unless he’s planning to sing, I’m really NOT interested.

Comment by Ted B. (Charging Rhino) — May 18, 2017 @ 4:47 am - May 18, 2017

8. V the K, thank you very much!

Watched the Orville trailer twice, even went back to get the second line in the banana joke (“Does it work on all fruit?”).

And, I obviously need to see Galaxy Quest. Thanks Juan and CCP.

Comment by apple betty — May 18, 2017 @ 7:39 am - May 18, 2017

9. Orville gets 8 episodes and then cancelled. Sounds about right.

Comment by Paul in N. AL — May 18, 2017 @ 9:32 am - May 18, 2017

10. While Star Trek: Diversity (good joke, V) gets 200 episodes even though everyone hates it and they’re all rehashes of the previous 1,000 Star Trek franchise episodes and movies, which were rehashes of the original 69 Star Trek episodes.

Comment by ILoveCapitalism — May 18, 2017 @ 10:12 am - May 18, 2017

RSS feed for comments on this post. TrackBack URI

**Note: Your first comment will be held for moderation. Avoid profanity, avoid personal attacks on fellow commenters, and avoid complaining about personal attacks (even on you). Feel free to disagree with anyone, but focus on their ideas; give us the information that you think they overlooked.**

Live preview of comment