Friends, Romans, Countrymen…

To follow up on that Shakespeare in the Park thing where President Trump is Julius Caesar and they assassinate him:

Caesar Flickerman, speaking in his alter ego of Fareed Zakaria at CNN, said “If you’re in NYC, go see Julius Caesar, free in Central Park, brilliantly interpreted for Trump era. A masterpiece”. (Yes, Zakaria tweeted that.)

Whereas Delta said “No matter what your political stance may be, the graphic staging of Julius Caesar at this summer’s Free Shakespeare in the Park does not reflect Delta Air Lines’ values.” BofA said “The Public Theater chose to present Julius Caesar in a way that was intended to provoke and offend. Had this intention been made known to us, we would have decided not to sponsor it.”

The irony, of course, is that the staging only creates sympathy for Trump. Rightly or wrongly, history ranks Caesar as one of its Great Men. The pack of Senators stabbing him look like cowards. The general bloodiness of the staging reminds people how sick and tasteless America’s “progressives” are.

UPDATE – The Left’s revenge-shakedown begins: C-list celebrities want to boycott Delta, BofA. Because they stopped paying out for the Trump-assassinating Public Theater.

38 Comments »

1. I hope the progressives keep offending sane people.

Comment by TnnsNe1 — June 12, 2017 @ 11:56 am - June 12, 2017

2. Yeah. Terrible marketing strategy.

Comment by ILoveCapitalism — June 12, 2017 @ 11:58 am - June 12, 2017

3. While not a fan of either DL or BoA – very glad to see they are being adults in the room and walking away from that level of insanity and disrespect. If the production had portrayed Barry in that light – we’d never hear the end of it…

Comment by COFlyerCLE — June 12, 2017 @ 12:41 pm - June 12, 2017

4. Like COFlyerCLE (#3), I am not a fan of Delta nor BofA. But I am glad to see this pulling of funding.

Comment by TheQuietMan — June 12, 2017 @ 2:04 pm - June 12, 2017

5. I remember when GP reported on Obama being portrayed as Julius Caesar.

Comment by CrayCrayPatriot — June 12, 2017 @ 2:52 pm - June 12, 2017

6. And I remember when Obama’s assassination was enacted – gleefully and with plenty of blood – right in the open spaces of Central Park, for free, while crowds of New Yorkers applauded along with CNN, in a socio-political context of conservatives throwing urine on lefties and bashing their heads in with bike locks and calling for their free speech rights to be ended.

Oh wait, none of that happened. (But the political reverse is happening, today.)

As to the obscure Acting Company job in 2013: if I’d known about it, I would have had the same analysis: pointing out that Julius Caesar is relatively sympathetic and therefore, Obama (or Trump) is actually being honored, however much-or-little the performers may have known it.

Part of what I like about this story, is the idea of the “progressive, artistic” organizers not seeing it’s all a joke on themselves.

Here’s a rhetorical question: If I throw my own urine into a leftie’s face and photograph it beautifully and declare it “art”, is it? Or is it still just assault?

Comment by ILoveCapitalism — June 12, 2017 @ 3:19 pm - June 12, 2017

7. That’s a lot of qualifiers.

Comment by CrayCrayPatriot — June 12, 2017 @ 3:39 pm - June 12, 2017

8. Which I added for color, but focusing on them conveniently misses the key point. (That my analysis would have been much the same.)

Comment by ILoveCapitalism — June 12, 2017 @ 3:42 pm - June 12, 2017

9. I guess we’ll never know.

Anyway, this is supposedly OK but what Kathy Griffin did was wrong but what Snoop Dogg did was OK. Because reasons.

You can advocate the assassination of Donald Trump, just not by beheading. I guess because that would be cultural appropriation, or something.

I’ll concede to you that “it’s just a play, so don’t get your panties in a wad … if you can answer for me one simple question: Where in America was a depiction of the assassination of Barack Obama considered socially and artistically acceptable in the period 2008-2017?

I’m just trying to figure out what the rules are for these things. I get that it’s OK to advocate murdering the president if he’s a Republican, but not if he’s a Democrat. But apparently there are some subtleties with regard to the means of assassination that I don’t understand.

I’m just trying to figure out what the rules are too, because they keep changing. There are some subtleties with regards to the means of assassination that I don’t understand.

Comment by CrayCrayPatriot — June 12, 2017 @ 3:56 pm - June 12, 2017

10. Except if you read the article, the 2012 Caesar was not explicitly Barack Obama.

“His Caesar (the suavely confident Bjorn DuPaty) is a tall, charismatic African-American politician; he doesn’t look or sound much like Obama (he more closely recalls Michael Jordan).”

Trolling Fail.

Comment by V the K — June 12, 2017 @ 4:08 pm - June 12, 2017

11. Your copy/paste missed the rest of that sentence and paragraph.

but the audience is unquestionably going to read him as an Obama stand-in nonetheless, particularly when his opponents bear a marked resemblance to Eric Cantor (Sid Solomon’s snappy terrier Cassius) and Mitch McConnell (Kevin Orton’s cynical old pol Casca). Even Mark Antony is recognizable as a standard Democratic politician type, Clinton/Gore division.

But, again, with these qualifiers. The party of consistency is great. In theory. The execution (no pun intended), not so much.

Comment by CrayCrayPatriot — June 12, 2017 @ 4:18 pm - June 12, 2017

12. It reminds me of the lynching examples: “but no one famous did it.”

The Ted Nugent example: “but he didn’t take a photo” or .

There seems to be an excuse for everything, because of the fact that CNN/MSNBC (a combined audience somewhere north of Archer’s, but way south of Monday Night Football) exist as “news” networks that are all the way on the left.

Comment by CrayCrayPatriot — June 12, 2017 @ 4:25 pm - June 12, 2017

13. If we’re so awful CCP, then leave.

I guess we’ll never know.

Oh, we know.

With prog artists casting Obama as a sympathetic Caesar, I would have pointed out what they did (same as for Trump). And then gone on about the Left’s fascination with dictators and their desire to make Obama into some sort of Jesus-martyr. To explain *their* strange, uncalled-for depiction of Obama being assassinated.

Troll fail, indeed. Well, troll succeed – because I responded. But it was my whim to do so 😉

You like to talk about the artist’s INTENT. Let me break it down for you, here.

– Prog artists cast Obama as doomed Caesar: That’s weird. Their INTENT is clearly to love him. Thus it could only be a martyrdom fantasy, an INTENT to worship.

– Prog artists cast Trump as doomed Caesar: That’s weird. Their INTENT is clearly to hate him. Thus it could only be a punishment fantasy, an INTENT to give people a suggestion.

Both would be worth commenting on, if/as they came to my attention. And, I just commented/reported on the 2013 thing. Done.

Comment by ILoveCapitalism — June 12, 2017 @ 5:17 pm - June 12, 2017

14. If we’re actually going to judge a production, perhaps we should see them first?

Comment by CrayCrayPatriot — June 12, 2017 @ 8:03 pm - June 12, 2017

15. Fag, I mean Flag in the field.

CCP moves goalposts. Loss of 5 comments.

I like it when progressives tell other people to do something they haven’t (or won’t) do themselves.

Comment by tnnsne1 — June 12, 2017 @ 8:44 pm - June 12, 2017

16. Are there subtleties in the Shakespeare In The Park performances that are perhaps open to interpretation? Sure. Are the annual performances tweaked to be reflective of contemporary life? Sure. Neither point is relevant to the discussion of the manner of interpretation and reflection on current events. The intent is the issue and the not-as-subtle-as-some-would-like manner of wink-wink artificial coyness about the intent. The production is staged for resident New Yorkers and the occasional tourista who might be in town during the performances. But the sponsors are national and international in scope, so it makes perfect sense for them to bow out amidst any hint of controversy. Let Amalgamated Bank be the financial sponsor and the MTA or Metro-North be the transport sponsor. The fact that prominent lefties are coming unglued over the actions of Delta and BoA is amusing at the least. Let them fly the abusive skies of United or use the benevolent services of Wells Fargo instead. But I’m pretty sure they won’t.

As to the depictions of assassination of the US head of state, I’m still trying to find a copy of The Assassination Of Barack H. Obama. It didn’t get a wide showing, but was theatrically released. So someone should have a copy of it, no? Then there’s the performance of Norm MacDonald doing his impression of a lynching of someone who suspiciously looks like a resident of the White House from 2009-2017. Can anyone help me out with these?

Comment by RSG — June 12, 2017 @ 9:54 pm - June 12, 2017

17. @ 14, when I typed “we,” I intended that to mean “you” and “I.”

“We.”

Comment by CrayCrayPatriot — June 13, 2017 @ 2:47 am - June 13, 2017

18. F@g … Loss of 5 comments.

I’ll make a deal with you. I’ll take a break from GP for two weeks (I’ll read posts, but not comment). In exchange, you won’t respond to me for two weeks after my first comment upon my return.

Comment by CrayCrayPatriot — June 13, 2017 @ 3:43 am - June 13, 2017

19. One thing the supporters of the play overlook is how that turned out for the assasins…. not well!

Comment by Rex — June 13, 2017 @ 11:46 am - June 13, 2017

20. By the way:

The Ted Nugent example: “but he didn’t take a photo” or .

I remember that discussion. You’ve rather misrepresented it. If lying about us is where you’re head is going to, then again CCP, do feel free to leave.

Comment by ILoveCapitalism — June 13, 2017 @ 11:53 am - June 13, 2017

21. Shakespeare and his plays have made it into the “modern” world with full force and played in its original language.

Name any playwright of the past century who holds a candle to Shakespeare.

Orson Welles adapted Julius Ceasar in his anti-fascist play entitled Caesar and wowed the 1930’s depression audience with his concept of the world of Hitler and Mussolini.

As I understand it, the “Shakespeare in the Park” play is the traditional script of Shakespeare’s “Julius Caesar” with the actors dressed in modern garb and Caesar being the representation of President Trump. Why? It’s not Shakespeare; its propaganda. Why would anyone go to see Julius Caesar played by the Sesame Street characters if not for “light and transient” reasons? This isn’t “Shakespeare in the Park” – its “Shakespeare to Feed the Partisan Soul in the Park.” I hope that they had the sense of class to put a bag over the head of the statue of the bard who stands watch by the theatre.

People who attempt to twerk Shakespeare are presumptuous beyond narcissism. Welles knew that. Thus his adaptation. When he produced MacBeth and Othello he showed his genius for making Shakespeare even more accessible. He didn’t mess the script.

I am totally unaware of the Obama as Caesar effort which may be due to the fact that it landed like a cow peeing on a flat rock.

As to the sponsors pulling out of the Trump Gets Assassinated version, I say “good on them.” This version is a political statement played to Neo-psuedo-sophisticates who find “meaning” when they are hit squarely in the face with it.

Is RuPaul in it?

Comment by Heliotrope — June 13, 2017 @ 11:53 am - June 13, 2017

22. LOL 🙂 Good ending, Helio.

Comment by ILoveCapitalism — June 13, 2017 @ 12:59 pm - June 13, 2017

23. Would love to hear from tnnsne1 take me up on the offer.

The comment I left alluded to Nugent not presenting a picture, and that indeed was one of the main distinctions drawn between him and Griffin. Not lying at all. I n Comment #12, I also wrote “or INSERT additional distinctions here” in brackets.” Except it came up “or .” because brackets disappear. So, what I wrote (and the brackets) disappeared. The commenting system excepts a command like a blockquote, etc, and I forgot (and didn’t look in the preview as well that it wasn’t appearing). In general, I use brackets to say things like “INSERT such and such here,” except it slips my mind that the commenting system here doesn’t recognise it.

For instance, below, I’ll type, “Hi, ILC” in brackets:

Anyway, you can see for yourself in Comment #12 that there is an “or .” And that is why.

Comment by CrayCrayPatriot — June 13, 2017 @ 2:50 pm - June 13, 2017

24. *expects

Comment by CrayCrayPatriot — June 13, 2017 @ 2:51 pm - June 13, 2017

25. No. The main points about the Nugent stuff were 1) it didn’t rise to the level of Griffin in terms of malice and trying to disturb people, and anyway 2) in context of that thread about Griffin, the Nugent stuff was largely a pile of deflection.

You didn’t want to hear those things then, and so you left them out of your recollection here.

I’m not going to debate it any further; just correcting the record.

Comment by ILoveCapitalism — June 13, 2017 @ 3:18 pm - June 13, 2017

26. I’m being misrepresented, though. What I took away from that conversation is that Nugent didn’t put fourth a picture, and all that comes with it.

I don’t want to relitigate things. I just want to address being called an outright liar, which isn’t the case.

Again, I wrote “The Ted Nugent example: “but he didn’t take a photo” or .”

That was offered as part of the argument (and, again, what I took away/remember most). That’s not lying.

Comment by CrayCrayPatriot — June 13, 2017 @ 3:33 pm - June 13, 2017

27. And, I do think bringing up the Nugent example (and others) was relevant to the post, because I was illustrating a theme I see developing (apples being called oranges, to put it bluntly). You can call it “deflection,” but I am not bringing them up to deflect, but, again, to illustrate the theme I’m witnessing and supporting using examples discussed. I personally brought up Nugent in the context of the Dixie Chicks and Griffin. And, no, I do not think it was deflection, but relevant.

Comment by CrayCrayPatriot — June 13, 2017 @ 3:46 pm - June 13, 2017

28. Cray,Cray… for goodness sakes man, just because you whine for a following doesn’t mean they are going to line up out of pity. Give • it • a • rest.

Comment by Heliotrope — June 13, 2017 @ 3:57 pm - June 13, 2017

29. I’m not looking for a “following,” Helio. I’m certainly not looking for one here.

But one can’t rehash something like it has been settled when it hasn’t. I don’t want to relitigate things, but I also don’t get the whole “Nugent as deflection,” from those who use reasons to “prove it” when they can’t even apply those same “reasons” to the Dixie Chicks. Nugent was not an orange. Maybe not quite an apple, but certainly not an orange.

But again, I do not want to relitigate. Only pointing out a theme that keeps popping up: “Oh, but that’s different.”

Comment by CrayCrayPatriot — June 13, 2017 @ 4:19 pm - June 13, 2017

30. I admit that its all in poor taste. Why all the fuss though? I don’t remember anything like this outrage when we had images of President Obama being lynched. Or was the difference that lynching images were at sports venues and demonstrations rather than as a theatrical activity?

Comment by Cas — June 13, 2017 @ 7:50 pm - June 13, 2017

31. Cas, The difference is that every time Trump’s death is depicted, it’s bloodlust. When Obama’s death was depicted it was either harmless or empathetic or not big enough of a celebrity. Or [insert another reason here].

The differences are so many I can’t keep track with them all. Apparently, what Griffin did was uncomparable, and were supposed to accept that as the Gospel truth. What happened with this play is another example of Leftist Derangement Syndrome that apparently means leftists are always the immoral ones.

Comment by CrayCrayPatriot — June 13, 2017 @ 9:00 pm - June 13, 2017

32. Hi CrayCrayPatriot,
    “he difference is that every time Trump’s death is depicted, it’s bloodlust. When Obama’s death was depicted it was either harmless or empathetic or not big enough of a celebrity.” OK, I am unsure why “bloodlust” is off the table here? We have a long history in this country of extra judicial death by lynching for black men by white folks. Obama is a black man–it resonates strongly on that basis alone given this racial heritage. Is it the static nature of the lynching display that you think is the important distinction? If all we had was the image of Trump impersonator being killed, would that make a difference for you and be on par? And I guess I don’t understand what “harmless or empathetic or not big enough of a celebrity” means in this context? As for Griffin, she got her butt kicked quite a bit as I remember over this incident.

Comment by Cas — June 14, 2017 @ 1:36 am - June 14, 2017

33. Hi Cas,
    Sorry, my tone sometimes get lost in the mix.

I was just trying to crystallise my interactions these last couple of weeks on GP when it has come to these public outrage expressions. If that makes any sense.

I actually agree with everything you said.

Comment by CrayCrayPatriot — June 14, 2017 @ 4:04 am - June 14, 2017

34. I figured, CrayCrayPatriot.

I am having a hard time wrapping my head around the up is down world we now inhabit (e.g., on this site) and the at times bizarro attempts to support what is obviously bad behavior and something that would not be tolerated in any shape or form if done by a Democratic Party President. The Russians under autocrat Putin are our allies in the coming struggle of civilizations? Conservatives voices are looking for conspiracy everywhere whilst simultaneously blasting those on the left who are doing the same thing. “My conspiracy theory makes the most sense!!!! We must defend the President!! He is playing 12 dimensional chess!!! He will crush his enemies, just you watch!!!!. OK, just watch some more–its coming.” I just don’t get it.

What ever happened to “Cui Bono” as a rational tool of analysis? Occam’s razor? The role of SKEPTICISM? I noticed it mostly runs one way here–away from questioning the President and his competency and aimed mostly at questioning the motives of his opponents who are assumed to be mostly bad actors.

I am only hoping that this is as bad as it gets–but the dis-integration of the government doesn’t look like it is stopping anytime soon. 🙁

Comment by Cas — June 14, 2017 @ 5:45 pm - June 14, 2017

35. OMG, what a pile of hooey.

Cas – It’s funny how it just doesn’t occur to you that you might have a few things wrong. I’ll try to help you.

– Where is the evidence that Trump colluded with Russia? THERE IS NONE. And there never was. The Party has misled you. From the beginning. In a colossal waste of everyone’s time.

– Where is the evidence that Trump tried to stop an investigation? THERE IS NONE. Even Comey conceded as much. Shall I point you to the quotes in his transcript – again??

You want to talk about skepticism and logic razors? Kindly begin with a mirror in hand.

Believe me, we get it: You really, really, reeeeeaaaaally want Trump to fail quickly and bigly, by having an immediate big scandal. But, honey: Reality just isn’t co-operating.

When reality cooperates – when there is a real scandal – I’ll help point it out. For the time being, you’re just sucking on your own delusions. And wondering why I won’t play along. And that last part amazes me. After years of interaction, I would think you understand that I don’t play along with things I know to be false.

And FYI, in the Cold War era, the problem with Russia was always THE COMMUNISM. Yes, for reals. That was really the problem.

Now that Russia has improved slightly – from totalitarianism to mere dictatorial sleaze – they’re still not our friends, no no no; but at least they’re no longer an existential threat. Get it? THE COMMUNISM was the existential threat. For reals.

As to CCP:

I just want to address being called an outright liar

Kindly point to where I called you one. (Time-saving hint: You can’t. Because I didn’t. What I did was, wave around a hypothetical. The “If…then…” construction signals it. Climb off the stage, Mr. Drama.)

Comment by ILoveCapitalism — June 14, 2017 @ 6:12 pm - June 14, 2017

36. There wasn’t any lying going on. Instead of suggesting that’s the road I might head down for no apparent reason, I’d much rather hear your thoughts on Griffin in the context of the Dixie Chicks and Ted Nugent.

Comment by CrayCrayPatriot — June 14, 2017 @ 9:10 pm - June 14, 2017

37. Hi ILoveCapitalism,
    “Where is the evidence that Trump tried to stop an investigation? THERE IS NONE. Even Comey conceded as much. Shall I point you to the quotes in his transcript – again??”
    Looking forward to finding out more about the way Mueller’s probe is apparently expanding (but it is probably untrue being reported in the MSM Washington Post, right?) to look at possible obstruction of justice problems with the President–I mean there is only his public comments, and other things we haven’t heard about yet–but hey … I an cooking up the popcorn; things look like they are getting interesting–and if they look at President Trump’s financial dealings–my guess that is going to get uggggglllleeee real quick…

And as for Russia–ILoveCapitalism I beg to differ–communism was part of the issue, but as Keenan’s Long Telegram makes clear, Russia was a problem because of its Communism AND its historical expansionist tendencies and historical conditioning–tendencies that we see on stage right now (e.g., Georgia, Ukraine, and who is next?). Can you and I agree on that?

Comment by Cas — June 15, 2017 @ 1:07 am - June 15, 2017

38. […] Loomis and Jack Posobiec disrupt a performance of that Julius Caesar we’ve been talking […]

Pingback by GayPatriot » How many New Yorkers salivate over Trump assassination? This many — June 18, 2017 @ 12:04 am - June 18, 2017

RSS feed for comments on this post. TrackBack URI