Van Jones, shuckin’ and jivin’

Yesterday I noted Project Veritas’ video of Van Jones calling Trumprussia a nothingburger. Commentor CrayCrayPatriot kindly pointed us to Jones’ response. It’s the kind of response I’ve seen from lefties many times, over the years. I thought I’d analyze it.

If you read it through, Jones’ response consists of:

1. Name-calling his opponents. (“crazies”, “con artists”, etc. who “trick” people)
  2. Asserting that Project Veritas undercover videos are somehow faked. (So: Don’t believe your lyin’ eyes. Don’t believe what is right on the video, for all to see.)
  3. Changing the subject to Sarah Huckabee Sanders and President Trump.
  4. Deceptively editing his own words, to create a different meaning after-the-fact.
  5. Changing the subject to Jones’ own astuteness in declaring that Russia is a nothing-burger and we should be talking about other things.

Here is the relevant exchange from the video:

Undercover journalist: What do you think is going to happen this week with the whole Russia thing?

Van Jones: The Russia thing is just a big nothing burger.

UJ: Really?

VJ: Yeah.

UJ: You don’t think that —

VJ: There’s nothing there you can do.

Note the middle bit – Jones saying YEAH, it’s REALLY a nothing-burger. Also Jones’ last sentence, re-affirming “There’s nothing there,” nothing “you can do” with it as it is destined to stall out.

In Jones’ response piece, he deceptively edits the exchange to this:

Interviewer: “What do you think is going to happen this week with the whole Russian thing?

Van Jones: “The whole Russia thing is a big nothing-burger. There is nothing you can do –“

Aside from the omitted middle section, Jones subtly changes the words (adding or deleting a couple). He makes it better for Jones. He creates an impression that, in an interview, he was only sighing and lamenting people’s powerlessness to do anything about the undeniable Trump-Russia collusion which of course he believes in because it’s so real.

Except that’s not what he said. So once more, a leftie is caught – and his response is to spin and deflect, distort and divert, knowing the yokels will give it credit.

I can see Jones’ appeal to people. He has a certain charisma that comes from being easy on the eyes and “smooth” in his deceptions as, most of the time, he believes what he’s saying. (The smoothest deceivers begin on themselves.)

And yet I’m not impressed. Jones’ spiel leaves a lot of openings. It takes only a little critical thinking, to penetrate him.

1. The left has always ever mastered two things, and two things only in this universe:

1) the unabashed use of deception;

2) the smug rationalization of coercion;

their ends justify their means —

always.

it’s just VJ was merely busy dealing with #1 in that instance.

Comment by Cyril — June 30, 2017 @ 4:29 pm - June 30, 2017

2. Their deceptions can be so subtle – so Neuro-Linguistically Programmed, as it were – that I had to re-edit this post several times before I could fully grasp or “see” what I myself had uncovered.

Comment by ILoveCapitalism — June 30, 2017 @ 4:33 pm - June 30, 2017

3. @2 Indeed.

And those morons probably seriously think they can’t be busted in their ever-shape-shifting rhetoric semantics.

Comment by Cyril — June 30, 2017 @ 4:43 pm - June 30, 2017

4. “to penetrate him.”

Mother, may I?

Comment by tnnsne1 — June 30, 2017 @ 4:59 pm - June 30, 2017

5. So, hey, Van Jones, do you read this post’s comment thread, anyway?

I *absolutely* looove the acronym your best friends chose for their political event, btw:

D)oes N)ot C)ompute

Lol. Stupid commies you, with your tricks getting so old. 😀

*French smooches*

Comment by Cyril — June 30, 2017 @ 5:00 pm - June 30, 2017

6. Ben Shapiro:

I’m just wondering why the hubbub. Of course it’s a nothingburger so far. I’m not aware Jones has gone hysterical on the issue.

Shapiro seems to think the joke is on JOK: a nothing burger is being made out of Jones’ nothing burger.

I’m not aware Jones has gone hysterical either. In what I’ve seen from him this year, he has been very cautious. He believed that an investigation should go forward, but it was a poor choice for the Democratic party to keep all of their focus in this one area, especially with the Republicans in charge (who were never going to impeach Trump anyway). He was been pretty critical of the party getting a lot of things wrong.

Comment by CrayCrayPatriot — June 30, 2017 @ 5:54 pm - June 30, 2017

7. Van Jones, shuckin’ and jivin’

That’s an interesting title for a post, ILC. What inspired you?

Comment by CrayCrayPatriot — June 30, 2017 @ 6:15 pm - June 30, 2017

8. Oh look CCP’s Goole is broken.

Shuckin’ and jivin’
    Shuckin’ and jivin’ (or shucking and jiving) is a slang term for the behavior of joking and acting evasively. More generally, the term can also refer to the speech and behavioral mechanisms adopted in the presence of an authoritative figure.[1] Shuckin’ and jivin’ usually involves clever lies and impromptu storytelling, used to one-up an opponent or avoid punishment. In Ribbin’, Jivin’, and Playin’ the Dozens: The Persistent Dilemma in Our Schools, Herbert L. Foster writes, “Shuckin’ and jivin’ is a verbal and physical technique some blacks use to avoid difficulty, to accommodate some authority figure, and in the extreme, to save a life or to save oneself from being beaten physically or psychologically”

Comment by TnnsNe1 — June 30, 2017 @ 6:54 pm - June 30, 2017

9. Indeed I googled exactly that, TnnsNe1, before using the term.

Comment by ILoveCapitalism — June 30, 2017 @ 6:58 pm - June 30, 2017

10. It’s a pretty tainted phrase. I don’t remember ILC using it before. Maybe he has. And, if so, I apologise. It’s just a little jarring seeing that phrase.

Comment by CrayCrayPatriot — June 30, 2017 @ 6:58 pm - June 30, 2017

11. Oh.. poor CCP is offended by the use of a phrase that accurately describes the behavior of Van Jones. Poor lil Miss Thing.

Comment by TnnsNe1 — June 30, 2017 @ 7:29 pm - June 30, 2017

12. ILC, you have a phrase that is historically specific to one race. And not only historically specific, but it had to do with someone using deflection to avoid being violently abused (on top of that, their race as a whole being subjected to a subhuman, oppressive system). But, we have been through this before. Rush Limbaugh used it against a black man–Barack Obama (and Colin Powell called him out on it). Sarah Palin, Andrew Cuomo, and Justin Timberlake also used it against Obama. Has anyone ever applied this to someone who wasn’t black?

Again, someone (ILC) applies that phrase to someone of that race today (Van Jones). Why is it that people are calling attention to other people’s race while criticising them? Why is it that they can’t be criticised for just what they say? Did Jones ever make this about race? If so, perhaps it might apply. But, even then, it’s iffy. Personally, I’d steer away from that phrase. There’s no point for it other than to dig up old wounds unnecessarily. And, even then, I don’t think the criticism is warranted (based on what I have heard from Van Jones this year, and what he says in the video before O’Keefe cuts it, he indeed is talking about the forecast for impeachment, not the actual merits of the investigation, and is being misinterpreted).

So, you believe Van Jones is trying to spin the interpretation of his comments in the video, or deflect, etc, because he has been caught when he should have been doing his “job”. I get that. But, out of all the phrases or ways of encapsulating you could have chose from, this seems like a strange direction to take.

Again, I ask:

That’s an interesting title for a post, ILC. What inspired you?

Comment by CrayCrayPatriot — June 30, 2017 @ 7:40 pm - June 30, 2017

13. Because it must be racism, which as the ever-increasingly irrelevant Libertarian Party knows, is the worst of all sins and the highest priority to target for stamping out.

Comment by damaged justice — June 30, 2017 @ 8:05 pm - June 30, 2017

14. *Correction: Timberlake used it against Paul Pierce, not Obama.

Comment by CrayCrayPatriot — June 30, 2017 @ 8:30 pm - June 30, 2017

15. I can see Jones’ appeal to people. He has a certain charisma that comes from being easy on the eyes … Jones’ spiel leaves a lot of openings. It takes only a little critical thinking, to penetrate him.

It’s ironic that this post calls attention to Jones’ language. How we use language says a lot about who we are (and, unlike damaged justice and TnnnsNe1 believe, it is important). I’m not convinced that Jones is the one here who has revealed anything about themselves.

Comment by CrayCrayPatriot — June 30, 2017 @ 8:43 pm - June 30, 2017

16. Contrary to CCP’s poor comprehension and leaps of assumption, I believe language is very important.

Comment by damaged justice — June 30, 2017 @ 9:12 pm - June 30, 2017

17. I’ll make a note the next time you actually exemplify this belief.

Comment by CrayCrayPatriot — June 30, 2017 @ 9:21 pm - June 30, 2017

18. So, Jones dances around an explanation of his actions that got him in trouble with his white masters (the Clintons) and CCP doesn’t see how the so-called offensive phrase fits the situation?

Then CCP lectures others about reading comprehension! Classic response from a Constantly Confused Progressive.

Comment by TnnsNe1 — June 30, 2017 @ 9:40 pm - June 30, 2017

19. Again, the racial overtones are pretty gross.

I’d expect you of all people would find them agreeable. I just didn’t expect ILC would be peddling them. As someone who disagrees with identity politics, I find this all very surprising and disappointing. I don’t really know what to think anymore.

Comment by CrayCrayPatriot — June 30, 2017 @ 9:48 pm - June 30, 2017

20. “Again, the racial overtones are pretty gross.”

Yes, the way the Progressives demand people of color to act a certain way is gross. The use of the “offensive” phrase clearly emphasizes that point. Anyone with a modicum of reading comprehension would certainly understand that.

Comment by TnnsNe1 — June 30, 2017 @ 10:26 pm - June 30, 2017

21. There are a few people (including my self) wondering if and when ILC will respond. His radio silence is bizarre. But keep filling the quiet with your obsession with me. Go on with your bad self.

Comment by CrayCrayPatriot — July 1, 2017 @ 12:56 am - July 1, 2017

22. Tnns got it:

Jones dances around an explanation of his actions that got him in trouble with his white masters (the Clintons)… [ed: Clinton News Network, CNN]

Just to elaborate: Many right-leaning people – of all races; for example, see the work of Thomas Sowell or Jesse Lee Petersen – have remarked on how the white, “progressive” Left has locked African-Americans into a mental prison, a 21-century virtual plantation. And how white lefties will browbeat-or-worse on any African-American – or for that matter, any woman or gay – who leaves the plantation. And how shameful is the intellectual “dancing” that is done by African-Americans (or women or gays) still on that metaphorical plantation.

Yes, the programming that white lefties will administer to the blacks (or gays or women) still on the plantation, is indeed disgusting and gross and offensive. As I discuss in the first half of this post: http://www.gaypatriot.net/2016/07/13/the-gaslighters-in-the-woodwork/
    (the second half goes on to make other points)

Van Jones is, in a manner of speaking, on the Democrat plantation. I’m sure he got into big trouble, when a video came out where he was saying the “the Russia thing is just a big nothing burger…really? yeah…there’s nothing there…”

He could have handled the trouble by saying “I was being honest; deal with it.” Or even by saying “I misspoke, and/or was only thinking that way on that particular morning. It’s not my true, considered position. Sorry about that.” But he did neither.

Instead, he spun fast – he danced and distorted and deflected by making attacks on others, damn quick – even to the point of doing sleight-of-hand (deceptive editing) on his own words. White lefties should feel proud (I suppose; but my own feeling would be Ugh! icky!) to have such a servant.

Comment by ILoveCapitalism — July 1, 2017 @ 3:01 am - July 1, 2017

23. Thanks for your response, ILC.

I have heard of the plantation metaphor before (I may have even heard it here for the first time years ago, I’m not sure). For blacks, and women, and gays. And, many minorities do do the bidding of the liberal establishment, which engages in identity politics. However, you’re operating under the assumption that Van Jones (and every black person who is “on the left,” Progressive, voted for Hillary, etc, AND/OR works for CNN) hasn’t assembled his own opinions, but have absorbed them from the white liberal complex. That’s quite a generalisation.

Having listened to Van Jones on multiple occasions, he doesn’t sound like a garden-variety liberal.

Also, if it’s parroting out liberal talking points, why do you make this about his race? It’s something that I would expect from someone who engages in identity politics.

The metaphor is pretty icky, especially, if you continue with the metaphor and consider that it isn’t emancipation that you appear to be after:

I have trouble with pointing out Jones’ race to begin with, using his race to utilise a metaphor to compare him to a slave (when his race isn’t even at issue here), AND then using innuendo to further turn him into a physical, sexualised object (all in one package). It’s not his ideas/words/beliefs that you specified getting penetrated, but him, right after commenting on his physical attractiveness, as well as comparing him to a slave.

A person who writes this doesn’t come across as “the emancipator” or, if that’s not how you see yourself, a “third party” making observations. They come across as the slaver, though I doubt that was your intention.

Comment by CrayCrayPatriot — July 1, 2017 @ 3:41 am - July 1, 2017

24. He could have handled the trouble by saying “I was being honest; deal with it.”

But doesn’t this ignore that someone can simultaneously believe that:

1) The Russian investigation should continue to go forward and be fully investigated.

2) Democrats are operating at their own peril by putting all of their eggs all in one basket.

and

3) A Trump impeachment process will go nowhere with a Republican Congress

Comment by CrayCrayPatriot — July 1, 2017 @ 3:45 am - July 1, 2017

25. Personally, I’d steer away from that phrase.

Fair enough. It seemed a propos in this instance, for the reasons that are now given above.

Jones is part of CNN, which has devoted something like 80-90% of their coverage to Trumprussia, the last several months. Jones’ comment is one in a set of CNN employees (O’Keefe may have more coming out) cynically admitting the emptiness of their employer’s Great Project.

PLUS…in the very “Van Jones response” piece that you pointed me to, CCP (starting this post), Jones does indeed go hysterical. Let’s face it: Even to think Trumprussia is remotely impeachable (after this many months of zero evidence and “Where’s the beef?” going unanswered) is, at this point, going hysterical.

Comment by ILoveCapitalism — July 1, 2017 @ 3:48 am - July 1, 2017

26. Even to think Trumprussia is remotely impeachable (after this many months of zero evidence and “Where’s the beef?” going unanswered) is, at this point, going hysterical.

I’m going to disagree. I’m not sold either way. As I have said in the past, this could be either Watergate, Monica-Gate, or Nothing-Burger-Gate. Frankly, I think it’s Nothing-Burger-Gate. But, what I think doesn’t matter. It took years for Watergate to come to full fruition. I’m not saying this is that. But, everything is still somewhat fresh. And it’s not like we’re privy to all that has been uncovered in the investigation and has yet to be investigated.

Comment by CrayCrayPatriot — July 1, 2017 @ 3:55 am - July 1, 2017

27. But there was never anything there, to begin with.

_Shattered_, chapter 21: The Clintons (+ their machine) cooked it up as a way to deflect the blame for their loss.

Shall I start a murder investigation on you, CCP? Think about why that would be ridiculous and inappropriate. (Hint: Because I would have no proper reason to start it…no reason other than my own weird thinking or weird internally-driven needs.)

Once I start this weird, needless murder investigation on you, complete with my going to the government for their involvement: What will you think when I say “It should continue to go forward and be fully investigated”? (Hint: you’d be right to consider me a psychotic asshole, trying to CREATE trouble)

Comment by ILoveCapitalism — July 1, 2017 @ 3:59 am - July 1, 2017

28. Shall I start a murder investigation on you, CCP?

There hasn’t been a murder that I have ever benefitted from, though, if we’re making like comparisons.

Comment by CrayCrayPatriot — July 1, 2017 @ 4:21 am - July 1, 2017

29. And neither has Trump benefitted from any treason…if we’re making like comparisons.

Thus your riposte makes no sense. Being elected President is a positive thing. It implies neither murder nor treason. Therefore, it’s no reason to think that any treason might have taken place or to start what is basically a treason investigation. – Unless you’re a Clinton who needs to deflect the blame for losing and who has a crazed media willing to spread nonsense.

Comment by ILoveCapitalism — July 1, 2017 @ 4:38 am - July 1, 2017

30. I will wait patiently for an apology from CCP.

Comment by tnnsne1 — July 1, 2017 @ 5:50 am - July 1, 2017

31. Please hold your breath until I do.

Comment by CrayCrayPatriot — July 1, 2017 @ 7:54 am - July 1, 2017

32. See how violent and mean Progressives are? Didn’t you just scold someone for responding like a 12 year old?

Poor lil CCP, when challenged on their incorrect assumptions, they wish for people to die.

Comment by tnnsne1 — July 1, 2017 @ 9:00 am - July 1, 2017

33. Never said I wouldn’t apologise.

Keep holding, though. 😉

Comment by CrayCrayPatriot — July 1, 2017 @ 9:31 am - July 1, 2017

34. Oh, really important question, Tnnsne1 … what am I apologising for again to YOU at your behest?

Comment by CrayCrayPatriot — July 2, 2017 @ 7:09 am - July 2, 2017

35. Please don’t think Van Jones is a free thinker. Real Clear Politics back on September 19, 2009 let the cat out of the bag on Van Jones:

Mr. Jones was arrested during the rioting in Los Angeles in 1992 that followed the acquittal of the police officers who beat Rodney King. Mr. Jones spoke of that experience in a 2005 interview with a newspaper in the San Francisco Bay area:

“I was a rowdy nationalist on April 28, and then the verdicts came down on April 29,” he told the East Bay Express. “By August, I was a communist.”

Mr. Jones attributed his conversion to the people he met during his incarceration:

“I met all these radical young people of color, I mean really radical, communists and anarchists,” he told the East Bay Express. “It was like ‘this is what I need to be a part of.’ I spent the next 10 years of my life working with a lot of those people I met in jail, trying to be a revolutionary.”

Mr. Jones was arrested again in 1999 during the anti-free trade riots in Seattle.

In 1994, Mr. Jones was one of the founders of STORM, a Marxist-Leninist group whose hero was Chinese Communist dictator Mao Tse Tung.

But what did Mr. Jones in was the revelation that in 2004 he had signed a petition calling on then-New York Gov. Eliot Spitzer to investigate whether the Bush administration had been behind the 9/11 attacks on the World Trade Center and the Pentagon.

Mr. Jones acknowledged he’d signed the petition but claimed he hadn’t read it carefully and that it did not represent his views. The veracity of this claim was called into question when it was reported that Mr. Jones had been one of the organizers of a “truther” rally in San Francisco in January 2002.

Reporters also uncovered a number of racist statements Mr. Jones has made, including this one from January of last year: “the white polluters and white environmentalists are essentially steering poison into the people-of-color communities.”

It was Valarie Jarrett who praised Van Jones’ “skills” in pushing the Obama cell’s progressive, communist goals.

Comment by Heliotrope — July 2, 2017 @ 9:44 am - July 2, 2017

36. Cray,Cray @ #12:

I hereby declare amnesty for ILC and his use of a perfectly good phrase which is part of the rich contributions to our diverse, multi-cultural language of inclusiveness coming to all of us through the melting pot process.

“Shuckin’ and Jivin'” is black dialect in the United States with its roots in black folklore, specifically tied to High John the Conqueror. The basic concept is how a person manipulates his actions for his personal benefit. It is how an amoral person of any race acts in order to be able to have a choice in the consequences of his actions.

My grandmother used to talk about wearing your “poor, but honest clothes” when hinting for a raise. That is one way to “shuck and jive.” You can’t be successful “shuckin’ and jivin'” among those who know the game. You are more likely to be called a “shucker and jiver” by a fellow “shucker and jiver” than any one else.

Whites searching for “victims” decided that this thoroughly respected phrase among blacks was a slur and so liberals and progressives do not hear it when blacks use it, but get high and mighty pious when whites use it. And even higher and more mightily pious when a white charges a black with “shuckin’ and jivin’.”

Anyone familiar with the Joel Chandler Harris dialect rich tales of Uncle Remus knows the tale of Brer Rabbit and the tar baby. When caught, Brer Rabbit begs, implores, wails and moans: “Please, don’ throw me in dat briar patch.” That is exactly where Brer Rabbit wanted to be. Ergo, Brer Rabbit was “shucking’ and jivin'” with Brer Fox. And all the white kids for whom the books were written admired Brer Rabbit for scamming ole, not-so-smart Brer Fox. Had Joel Chandler Harris been black, the racial aspects of his plantation tales would be more palatable to today’s pious progressive political propriety police. Instead, they have destroyed the beauty of black dialect and humor and wisdom along with the brilliance of Huckleberry Finn, because of superiority disdain.

The brilliant Currier and Ives lithographs of Darktown are still attacked by idiots who deny history. Luckily, the wonderful sketches by A. B. Frost have had better treatment at the hands of modern day book burning Progressive puritans.

Cray,Cray, please understand me on this. I am neither proud nor ashamed of my heritage. I am an American through and through and anything I do, good or bad, is totally a reflection of me. If I were a Buddhist, I would be a darned bad one, because I don’t work to please my ancestors or to get a good spot in the bug kingdom after reincarnation. I only have my time on this planet and what I do and who I am is up to me and me alone. There are lots of inconveniences in life, but focusing on what is “holding you back” wastes a lot of time and resources better spent of putting your best foot forward.

“Shuckin’ and jivin'” is common all around me. If it is useful to call it out, I do so. But if the person is addicted to street smarts and getting by on his low level of wit and wisdom, I don’t spend any amount of valuable time on him. It is also why I don’t pitch coins to panhandlers. Especially, the ones who think we have some sort of special “victim” bond. From this, you might have an insight into why “progressives” and demonizers annoy me.

Comment by Heliotrope — July 2, 2017 @ 1:52 pm - July 2, 2017

37. I’d forgotten that Jones had such a Commie background. Thanks, Helio!

Comment by ILoveCapitalism — July 2, 2017 @ 5:51 pm - July 2, 2017

38. ILC,

My pleasure. Van Jones and his Marxist demagoguing had to be a useful comrade in the Obama circle of radicals.

I believe the time has come to call these Marxists out. Trump has his hands full keeping his eye on the ball and getting America turned around. We, on the other hand, can hammer the “progressives” to speak their minds and expose them for their Marxist ideology.

The biggest problem, of course, is that the Marxist useful idiots can’t understand that they have a ring in their noses. And that is sad. Most progressives break into name calling and deflection the minute they start to feel the ground falling away from where they stand. They can’t actually debate facts because they are mostly stoked up and high on their “superiority” fueled feelings.

Comment by Heliotrope — July 2, 2017 @ 6:22 pm - July 2, 2017