Huffington Post is putting their elite writing staff of Pajama Boys and Nasty Women on a bus and sending them out of the East Village and sending them out to visit red states in the Heartland that voted for Trump (although, they will most be going to blue urban islands within red states, actually.)
What They Claim They Will Do: “We will travel the old-fashioned way — via bus — to 20-plus states to hear from some of the under-heard, diverse Americans who make up the communities that form much of our nation. And by working on the ground with community leaders, nonprofits, educational institutions, local businesses and others, we’ll make sure people know we’re there to listen.”
What They Will Actually Do: Talk to other leftists to reinforce their baseline narrative; Leftists are brilliant enlightened people, red staters are rubes, and Middle America would do well to adopt the lifestyles and attitudes of coastal elites. One can almost make a
bingo drinking game out of the people who they will be featuring in the pieces that result from this tour. The standard template will be “[Member of the Coalition of the Oppressed] who feels [some emotion].”
- Mohammedan living in a city/town in a red state who “feels afraid.”
- Illegal Immigrant living a red state who “feels uncertain”
- Transgendered person living in a red state who “feels isolated.”
- Lesbian couple living in a red state who “feel frustrated.”
- A college professor living in a red state whose campus just legalized concealed carry who “feels isolated, frustrated, and afraid.”
- A “Christian” (i.e. a lesbian minister at an alternative Episcopal church) who “feels horrified” that any Christian would vote for Trump.
You can mix and match them, of course. There will also be the odd, “we ate at this out of the way diner/restaurant chain that we had never heard of and it was actually good” type story.
Twitchy has a pretty good send-up of what to expect. Here’s a sample:
Uneducated waitress with internalized misogyny keeps calling me sweetie, I’m literally shaking
There’s this strange place called Dairy Queen. Are women reduced to milk carriers? Literally the Hand Maids Tale.
High school football on Friday and church on Sunday aka cis-gender, patriarchal theocracy