Flailing lefties (and: March on Google, Aug 19)

First, a sidebar: I’m changing my web browsers to use DuckDuckGo as default search engine. Just sayin’. It seems good. Doesn’t track your searches. And when you want to copy/paste a link address, it lets you have the real link right on the search-results page (unlike annoying Google).

DuckDuckGo - Because Google is so 1984

Anyway….A new entry in Breitbart’s “Rebels of Google” series: Google makes a big thing about tolerating its high-autism employee, then fires him when he questions ideology about gender not being either-or.

“There used to be a Googler very high on the autism spectrum. At our TGIFs (weekly propaganda sessions) he would always take up time during the question period with long, strange, frustrating questions.”

“This went on for months, and was always tolerated until one fateful LGBT-themed TGIF when he expressed skepticism about the gender “spectrum.” He was fired very shortly afterward.”

Before publishing, we checked with [another interviewee] to see if he recalled the incident and could corroborate. He did.

Meanwhile, Google’s CEO has doubled down:

Google CEO Sundar Pichai defended the dismissal of former Google employee James Damore in a blog post on Tuesday, where he called Damore’s manifesto “harmful.”

“First, let me say that we strongly support the right of Googlers to express themselves, and much of what was in that memo is fair to debate, regardless of whether a vast majority of Googlers disagree with it,” Pichai opined in the blog post. “However, portions of the memo violate our Code of Conduct and cross the line by advancing harmful gender stereotypes in our workplace.”

The contradiction is lost on Pichai. If you “strongly” support free expression and debate, you can’t fire employees for taking the other side in free expression and debate. Period. But especially given that Damore’s actual memo did not stereotype anyone and was almost milquetoast, as V noted.

“To suggest a group of our colleagues have traits that make them less biologically suited to that work is offensive and not OK,” says Pichai, which makes no sense because Damore’s memo did not remotely suggest that. RTFM, Mr. Pichai!

March on Google, August 19, 2017

Click on the image above, for updates and a map of locations.

For dessert, we have the Jennifer Lawrence train wreck. She tells President Trump “F— you!” (complete with dramatic middle finger), then tells an interviewer “We can’t continue this divide and anger.” Again, the contradiction is lost, on her.

1. I wonder, why is the expression “not OK” so widely used? I would expect a high-powered CEO, whether you agreed with him or not, to use language like “offensive and not acceptable” rather than “offensive and not OK.” The expression “not OK” sounds to me like the language of therapy, and specifically therapy for small children after having suffered some kind of abuse. (“When your cousin does that to you, it’s not OK.”) Then again, other terms in current leftist speech also sound like they originated with therapy sessions, e.g. the concern about “triggers” and “trigger warnings” and the emphasis on “safe spaces.”

Comment by Conservative guy — August 10, 2017 @ 2:34 pm - August 10, 2017

2. CG: In addition to being therapy-talk, it’s how you talk to kids. And that is the world lefties want: A world where everyone is coddled and talked-down to, with their immaturity and hypersensitivity indulged. They like it. They find it hip and reassuring.

Comment by ILoveCapitalism — August 10, 2017 @ 2:40 pm - August 10, 2017

3. There used to be a Googler very high on the autism spectrum

Whoa!

I insist we see the Autism Spectrometer and the gradation scales. There are a bazillionn markers across the “autism spectrum” so exactly what does the “fact” of “being very high on the autism spectrum” mean? Was the Googler riddled with a vast number of types of autism or was he nearly incapacitated with his type of autism or is he both linearly and vertically an ocean of autism?

Frankly, this statement stereotypes autism as a “diversity” to be managed. Hmmmm. Maybe being a feminist social warrior is also a diversity to be managed. Maybe being a gay horn dog is a diversity to managed. Maybe being a NeverTrumpster is a diversity to be managed. Maybe being a vegan warrior is a diversity to be managed. Maybe being a shari’a jihadist is a diversity to be managed. Maybe being a snow flake demanding a safe place is a diversity to be managed.

I wonder how Foxxonn manages all of this. (Actually, I don’t, because I know that Foxconn understands its mission.)

Comment by Heliotrope — August 10, 2017 @ 3:24 pm - August 10, 2017

4. March on Google.

Maybe that’s just me, but here it knda feels like a growing number of those who understand free speech … are getting a tiny wee lil bit tired of being told to keep it shut.

Who knows!

Comment by Cyril — August 10, 2017 @ 3:25 pm - August 10, 2017

5. “The contradiction is lost on Pichai.”

I think that’s a fair assessment.

Comment by Cyril — August 10, 2017 @ 3:32 pm - August 10, 2017

6. Agree that “not OK” sounds juvenile. Either what you would say to a small child (“Stealing someone’s crayons is not OK”), or like teenage Valley Girl slang : “My boyfriend cheated on me and that is, like, sooooo not OK.” Emotionally and intellectually, limousine liberals seem to be about fifteen years old at best.

Comment by Tom — August 10, 2017 @ 3:52 pm - August 10, 2017

7. I’ve also switched to DuckDuckGo. Took an hour or so to figure it out, but I like it. The feature to freely jump back and forth between various levels of content filters on the fly without going through a menu or two like with Google is nice. And a search engine that doesn’t track my search activity is very nice.

I used to like J-Law, but every subsequent movie that stars her convinces me more and more that she’s a one-trick pony as far as acting roles. She’s only capable of about three emotions on screen: surly dullness, shrieking hysteria, or snarling anger.

Comment by Sean L — August 10, 2017 @ 5:32 pm - August 10, 2017

8. If Damore’s essay violates Google’s code of conduct, their code of conduct must be copied from Romper Room.

I’m torn here – I like YouTube Red and use Google Fiber. Red lets me download Mark Steyn’s content along with a lot of other stuff to my phone so I can listen at work – I suspect I’ll stick with that.

I’d like to switch to the local cable company but they insist you purchase bundled service (so more $$ than Google) and their prices are good for a year. With Google, internet is $70. Full stop. No add-ons, fees, tariffs, taxes, and what-not tacked onto the bill.

Comment by KCRob — August 10, 2017 @ 6:37 pm - August 10, 2017

9. Fun thing to ponder:

if (the vast majority, I’m sure) of Google engineers had a minute or two of their overbooked to spend on telling their 4 truths to the SJWs and snowflakes who worship their TGIFs do-gooding elite speakers:

would the company dare to use that new weapon of mass firing — namely, words?

If so, what would the product marketing do after the fact?

Sit on their hands or leave for other places with less insane business development plans?

Comment by Cyril — August 10, 2017 @ 7:03 pm - August 10, 2017

10. *overbooked time

Comment by Cyril — August 10, 2017 @ 7:03 pm - August 10, 2017

11. Why Freedom of Speech is Not “Just Another Value”

Jordan B. Peterson, 5/13/2017:

Comment by Cyril — August 10, 2017 @ 10:19 pm - August 10, 2017

12. I’d drop Gmail, but it took me TWO YEARS to get my occasionally-mentally-challenged clients* to finally use the Gmail account when I dropped the MSN.com email account. I have several web-site dot-com addresses that I have parked, just to reserve the names. But actually using them for email is beyond my feeble tech-talents.

[ * – People just don’t pay attention to telephone numbers and email addresses any more. They just copy them in their contacts, and never notice if they are using your old ones…or your new ones. I lost clients the last time I changed my telephone number since they just couldn’t comprehend CHANGING their contact list despite reminding them that the number changed for 18-months… GRRRRR!! ]

Initially I though Gates and Microsoft were “the evil ones”, so I switched to Google. Now I’m REALLY pissed at Google, …Apple has always been anathema!! And Sprint is really getting on my nerves as well, it’s SOOO expensive for the little I use my flip-phone. And they charge me $35/month for data, …and I can’t use data on my flip-phone…

Comment by Ted B. (Charging Rhino) — August 11, 2017 @ 12:25 am - August 11, 2017

13. When did “e-mail” become “email”? I just noticed that my own usage has changed. I always as an “e-mail” person…

And contact information stopped being “my cell-phone number”?

Comment by Ted B. (Charging Rhino) — August 11, 2017 @ 12:30 am - August 11, 2017

14. When did “e-mail” become “email”?

When we started the trend of modifying the language to fit our usage of it rather than adapting our usage to fit the language. I still use “e-mail”, since it’s more accurate. While we’re on the matter of language, it still irritates me to no end to hear people–from Big Media types to everyday peeps–say “emails”. “Mail” is a plural term. It doesn’t need to be made plural. It’s like saying “I saw three deers on the highway last night.” No one sane says “I need to go pick up the mails.” Why anyone ever thought this was acceptable usage is beyond me.

Comment by RSG — August 11, 2017 @ 4:27 am - August 11, 2017

15. I wonder, why is the expression “not OK” so widely used?

Because when you have a CEO of a multi-billion dollar company who comes to work in t-shirts and jeans use it, it then becomes ‘cool’. And if you’re a tech company head these days, you really need to be cool. You don’t want employees who are half your age think that you’re not hip, lest they go to work for someone else who is hip and cool.

As for the relationship to therapy and infantilization, I’m reminded of what a counselor told me one time: “The brain does not hear negations.” It’s why when a little kid is told “Don’t do that” that they almost always go ahead with the same behavior they were told not to do. It would be more effective if Sundar’s message were phrased another way, as in unacceptable. But then, since the target audience was likely raised being talked down to and pandered to, they might actually have to Google the word to figure out what it means.

Comment by RSG — August 11, 2017 @ 4:38 am - August 11, 2017

16. Sultan Knish has posted a brilliant essay on the Google Gulag which is well worth reading. Here are a few points he made:

• Google’s goal is to streamline and shape search results for a mobile environment by giving users what it thinks they want rather than what they are actually searching for. Google isn’t just politically left-wing, its product mindset has become all about forcing users to do what it thinks they should be doing.
    —————————-
    • When users search for results that Google doesn’t like, it guides them to what it thinks they should be looking for.
    —————————-
    • “Viewpoint diversity is arguably the most important type of diversity,” James Damore had argued.

But that’s not what the left means by diversity. At Google and everywhere else it means a plurality of people from different backgrounds, races, genders and sexual identities who agree with us.

It’s an artificial consensus that displaces the old democratic values of individualism and freedom. Instead it imposes a system of safe spaces that treat any dissent as an act of violence against the oppressed.

I was on another site where a leftist was citing that there are huge numbers of illegal Irish in New York and nobody is paying attention because: racism.

So I went to Google and in three pages, the only references were lefty editorial junk without any fact basis whatsoever. One thing became quite clear to me: there has been a talking point put out concerning how we accept illegal Irish immigrants. [The theme of these “talking points” is that there are at least 50,000 illegal Irish in the NYC area and nobody cares because we “like” them.]

However, in 1969, the liberals redesigned who were favored and who were disfavored as immigrants based on their area of origin. The Irish were trimmed back by that model. But the “talking points” at the head of the Google search are vague laments and snark that are devoid of critical comparisons and reasoning.

Google and Wikipedia are becoming the “go-to” sources for the lazy and generally unscholarly. Hitler burned books. Today, the leftists trash facts and lead the useful idiots by inventing memes. It can’t be too long before colleges close their libraries and just grade the students on how well they repeat the party line.

You might have noticed how the trolls who come here are forever posting links that supposedly support their point(s) of view. They won’t argue facts, in large part, because liberals can not separate facts from supportive opinions. Their critical reasoning centers are dead and useless to them. They will go full apocalypse over a disagreement of nuance, but they can not support or provide a foundational thesis.

Comment by Heliotrope — August 11, 2017 @ 1:28 pm - August 11, 2017

17. “but they can not support or provide a foundational thesis”

Indeed, I tried to explain basic economics once, to one of your average labor union / free-healthcare-and-college-education-and-whatdoiknow-for-all.

I’m not even an economist and am only mildly interested for the sake of not finding myself or my kids completely decades from now.

I was reduced to use that analogy re: incentives vs limited resources vs self-interest vs the social order vs economic laws:

“Why do you think so much unused mustard, ketchup, salt, or sugar, gets thrown away right into the trash, hence, at a unitary rate of 100% *waste* at the places you happen to order and consume hamburgers?”

I didn’t even get, “because it came for free, why do you ask?”

Instead, I got only a blank look.

Comment by Cyril — August 11, 2017 @ 4:22 pm - August 11, 2017

18. *completely naked decades from now

Comment by Cyril — August 11, 2017 @ 4:23 pm - August 11, 2017

19. *one of your average labor union / free-healthcare-and-college-education-and-whatdoiknow-for-all staunch advocate

Comment by Cyril — August 11, 2017 @ 4:23 pm - August 11, 2017

20. switched to ducky about 6 months ago, very happy in most instances, peace of mind is worth it!

Comment by Leslie — August 11, 2017 @ 6:06 pm - August 11, 2017

21. DuckDuckGo is what i have been using for a few years now ever since Scroogle was taken down by Google.

Yes, you get a cleaner, much more organic set of results back.

And if you’re into research for serious stuff like science or even politics, you’ll find academic dissertations, peer-reviewed papers and stuff like that in PDF file links as part of your results.

I went ballistic when Scroogle went away, and I would feel like that if DuckDuckGo were to disappear.

Thanks for hipping everyone to that!! It really is an all-round better search engine for smart people.

Comment by RGB — August 11, 2017 @ 8:01 pm - August 11, 2017

22. […] I mentioned last Thursday (before Charlottesville) that a March on Google was planned for Aug 19. Just to follow up, it’s postponed: […]

Pingback by GayPatriot » Peaceful March on Google, postponed after Alt Left threats — August 17, 2017 @ 1:09 pm - August 17, 2017