Alt Left, Alt Right (which we’re not), and other terms

Posted by Jeff (ILoveCapitalism) at 2:37 pm - August 18, 2017.
Filed under: Conservative Movement,Ideas & Trends,Violence on the Left

As I noted earlier, language evolves (or devolves). “Alt Right” is now owned by the neo-Nazi/KKK types (whom we reject). It was once a label for the kicky, fun, we-refuse-to-keep-losing type of conservative. Legit. But in the last 12-18 months, the racists (who btw are socialists or crypto-leftists) inserted themselves and took it over.

I say, fine: Let the National Socialists keep it. Let’s never use it for ourselves. That’s a good thing. Because now we can brand the equally (or more) violent/nasty Left, as Alt Left. We can tell lefties, in all sincerity, Of course we condemn the Alt Right…and your stinkin’ Alt Left, which isn’t any better…and we expect you to join us.

Some say that Hannity introduced “Alt Left”, and President Trump picked it up. Whatever. Our own V the K says the term is not meaningful because, when you look at how CNN and NYT and WaPo and Democrats are justifying left-wing violence, it’s really the entire Left, without distinction. He has a point.

But that’s the beauty of it. We can call CNN, etc. the Alt Left Media (as long as they keep excusing left-wing violence). We can refer to any leftie who justifies violence as Alt Left, exposing their moral equivalence to the violent and/or racist people of the Alt Right. Anyway, I’m on board.

The kicky, fun, we-refuse-to-be-cucked type of conservatives seem to be re-branding themselves as New Right. I’m not on board there; I mean, the name is a bit weak and I think it has to be replaced with something better. What are your thoughts?

1. “We can refer to anyone who justifies violence as Alt Left”

To ba fair this should be : “We can refer to anyone who justifies violence or refuses to explicitly, in words of our choosing, denouces violent people as Alt Left.”

Pelosi and Schumer are the leaders of the alt Left.

Comment by TnnsNe1 — August 18, 2017 @ 2:54 pm - August 18, 2017

2. Sadly, yes.

I edited it to “We can refer to any leftie who justifies violence as Alt Left”.

Comment by ILoveCapitalism — August 18, 2017 @ 2:59 pm - August 18, 2017

3. Personally, I am getting tired of all the labels, because no one is using them to mean what they actually stand for at all. Nazis are leftists. They are socialists and stand for things that are actually of Marxist ideology. So regardless of what party they belong to or what name they espouse, they are on the left, no matter how much they protest it. They actually have much more in common with groups like Antifa and BLM than any group on the right. They are ALL racists and social change propagandists.

A true person on the right does not need a label because he or she has the attitude that people, regardless of race, orientation, background, religion, whatever, deserve to live their lives peaceably, and without the threat of having others’ beliefs, thoughts, or violent tendencies thrust upon them. For a true person on the right, identity is not based in what group you belong to, but according to your personhood, of which many different traits, beliefs, tendencies, actions, and faiths are made. A true person on the right understands that the individual makes his or her own decisions and those decisions are not made by a single group with which he or she, as a person, might identify.

Comment by TAD — August 18, 2017 @ 3:44 pm - August 18, 2017

4. Sorry ILoveCapitalism
    But to say–in effect–that folks who identify themselves as being on the far right are in fact mistaken or deluded for saying so and are actually on the far left seems condescending at best. So, I don’t buy the claim. Your claim that only racists now inhabit the alt-right is an interesting one. Why are they not the extreme right wing in your opinion? Why not accept that there are pathologies on the right as they are on the left? Is it because you equate the alt right with national socialism and then claim that this is a left wing phenomenon? If so, that is odd since many on the alt right would not consider themselves Nazis. Or are you saying that racists are left wing by nature, which seems odd to me. A combination? Or another view?

Comment by Cas — August 18, 2017 @ 3:55 pm - August 18, 2017

5. If we cannot be the alt-right because the Democrat media Complex has successfully smeared that term, there should be a name for those of us who are conservative/libertarian but recognize that the old globalist right … the Bill Kristol – Bush Family – National Review right … has been a miserable failure.

The New Right? The Free Right? The Good Right? I don’t know. I’m not good with naming things.

Comment by V the K — August 18, 2017 @ 4:02 pm - August 18, 2017

6. https://www.google.com/amp/www.bostonherald.com/news/columnists/peter_gelzinis/2017/08/gelzinis_eastie_wwii_vet_101_on_nazis_i_ve_seen_this_before%3famp

Comment by James — August 18, 2017 @ 4:26 pm - August 18, 2017

7. Cerno is going with The New Right

Comment by rusty — August 18, 2017 @ 4:26 pm - August 18, 2017

8. How about the SoRight?

Comment by Juan — August 18, 2017 @ 5:17 pm - August 18, 2017

9. Still less than 2% of the population regardless of the political euphemisms you choose to use to artificially inflate your numbers. Address yourselves however you want in the 2%er bizarro world.

Comment by rjligier — August 18, 2017 @ 5:37 pm - August 18, 2017

10. Over the years, I have retaken the same political orientation quizzes over and over again. Over the past few years, my increasing antagonism towards corporations pushes me further left to the economic center but still economically right-of-center, while my ever-increasing disgust with the totalitarian tendencies, now habits, of the Left pushes me ever further towards genuine social liberalism- what the Political Compass labels “libertarianism”- as a reaction against them.

On a strict left-right scale, I guess I’m center-right. Too unconcerned with the traditional conservative niggles like marijuana and gay marriage, staunchly committed to freedom of speech, believe in the free market, despise the interference of corporations in politics.

So whatever the hell that makes me.

Comment by Sean L — August 18, 2017 @ 5:43 pm - August 18, 2017

11. I’m a little bit alt-country and my husband is a little bit alt rock and roll

Comment by Niall — August 18, 2017 @ 5:45 pm - August 18, 2017

12. Cas, the definer defines, and, having defined moves on to castigate because something does not accord with something which Cas has defined to fit the needs for castigation.

Confused? Good. That is how it works.

Racist, surpremacists demand a totalitarian government to make the populace look and act the way the racist, supremacist totalitarian government wants them to look and act.

Socialism is coercing the population to cough up the money they have and earn to be redistributed by the totalitarian government to the people based upon said totalitarian government’s judgement of what each individual useful idiot needs. This results in the all powerful government having the people act the way the government dictates.

In this grand scheme of redistribution you have your National Socialist German Workers’ Party which does redistribution the Nazi way or you have your Union of Soviet Socialist Republics which does redistribution the communist way or you have your Partito Nazionale Fascista in Italy which does the redistribution the Fascist way or you have your Communist Party of China with its Premier that does the redistribution the Mao way or you have your Estado Novo with Salazar in Portugal which does the redistribution the “new state” way.

Lets cut to the chase: dictatorships in the “name” of the people are all one in the same: totalitarian states in which the common affairs of the individuals are controlled by the state and subject to instant change at the whim of the state.

To the left of popular sovereignty with its representative and limited government is socialism with its government control of the economy and intrusive control of the living standards of the people. To the left of socialism is communism in which the people are employees and wards of the ruling class. To the left of communism is dictatorship over the people with the police state to enforce compliance and to the left of that is the anarchy of the collapsed state until a new dictatorship arises or the people arise and form a representative democracy and move the country way back to the right.

Now, if you prefer your dictatorships to be to the right of popular sovereignty with its representative and limited government you can do that. If the dictators belong on the right, then put them there. You can have socialism and communism and the Corruptocracy and police state on the extreme right.

Along come the “term” define Progressives and we have another layer of meaningless politico-babble spread on us: “alt-right” and “alt-left.” I don’t know what it means, but I do know that whatever it means it isn’t a compliment.

The human unit who climbed the ladder in North Caroling to attach the tether which was used to topple the Confederate statue is Taqiyah Thompson, a student at North Carolina Central University, and a member of the Worker’s World Party (WWP), a revolutionary Marxist-Leninist group originally formed in 1959 as a hard-line offshoot of the more moderate Socialist Workers Party.

That is not extraneous information. Xer ideology matters because xer act was driven by ideology. Now, whether she ia “alt-left” or “alt-right” depends on your way of framing your ideology. If you are a leftist all evil is on the right. But, that would make your socialist ideology on the right as well and you can’t have that.

Therefore, you do the Cas thing and double talk while trying to sound like your hair is not on fire while you do it.

Comment by Heliotrope — August 18, 2017 @ 5:49 pm - August 18, 2017

13. I don’t know, Cas… I see that there’s a bill in the CA legislature to make improper forms of address (wrong pronoun) a criminal offense.

So, if someone calls me a white turd, no foul. If I then call him “she” instead of he, they, xe, it – I may be in legal jeopardy.

Who’s totalitarian? Fascist? Please help me out.

I would suggest “dissident right” or there’s always paleo-con. Conservatism at one time appreciated reality and realized the limits of human meddling (e.g. turning A-stan into pre-muslim Sweden).

Comment by KCRob — August 18, 2017 @ 6:48 pm - August 18, 2017

14. to say–in effect–that folks who identify themselves as being on the far right are in fact mistaken or deluded for saying so and are actually on the far left seems condescending at best.

Cas, that’s a reasonable point. My counterpoint would be that ecology is full of strange niches. Consider the following.

1. If you’re a pro-White racist socialist, then you are indeed *to the right of* the pro-Brown racist socialists of the Democrat party. Someone further Left than you will always think you’re on their Right, and will tell you so.

This is why and how the Nazis got branded “Right” to begin with. It was the Communists who did it. Commies are internationalist, Nazis are nationalist. From the Commie point of view, the nationalism was a right-wing regression – even though both were socialists.

2. Many of the #WhiteLivesMatter types are trying to live off of the Right’s prestige. For example, some will try to quote Ronald Reagan (who wanted nothing to do with them).

3. And some of them really are that mistaken or deluded. Remember, to hold a neo-Nazi/KKK set of beliefs at all (especially in today’s world), you would have to be confused and self-destructive.

Why are they not the extreme right wing in your opinion?

Because, again: They’re socialists. For example, they hate on “the corporations” and support high taxes and universal health care. Racism is a variation of collectivism and tribalism. Real conservatism emphasizes either tradition, or/and the privacy and dignity of the individual. I’ve written about all this before, example here:

many on the alt right would not consider themselves Nazis

It’s true: some go with KKK or Confederate themes, some merely call themselves “white identitarians”. But it’s all still identity politics – which subsume individuals into collective groups. And the majority (maybe not 100%) of these folks agree with the Democrat economic policies.

Or are you saying that racists are left wing by nature

That, too. Again: Racism, tribalism, socialism, they’re all variants of collectivism. It’s no accident that all such groups hate anything that smacks of individual dignity – be that traditional Catholic conservatism, or libertarian capitalism.

In 1932, Goebbels said that the Nazi Party was a “workers’ party”, “on the side of labour, and against finance.” And wrote in his diary that if he were to pick between Bolshevism and capitalism, “it would be better for us to go down with Bolshevism than live in eternal slavery under capitalism.”

One problem is that the Left-Right dichotomy is an oversimplification. The basic issues are:
    – are you nationalist or globalist?
    – are you racist or anti-racist?
    – are you pro-free speech or in favor of regulating speech?
    – are you pro-freedom or anti-freedom on lifestyle matters like relationships, sex, drugs, abortion?
    – are you pro-freedom or anti-freedom (pro-central planning) on economic matters?

Let’s see, that’s 2**5 = 32 possible political parties. For my part I’m nationalist, anti-racist, pro-free speech, relatively pro-freedom on lifestyle matters, extremely pro-freedom on economic matters. 4/5 of those things set me against what is now called the Alt Right (who tend to be nationalist, racist, and anti-freedom across the board).

Comment by ILoveCapitalism — August 18, 2017 @ 8:21 pm - August 18, 2017

15. You think Cas might be Cray Cray?

Comment by Pawfurbehr — August 18, 2017 @ 8:33 pm - August 18, 2017

16. No 🙂 They like each other, but I sense 2 different voices.

Comment by ILoveCapitalism — August 18, 2017 @ 8:36 pm - August 18, 2017

17. I always wondered what the alt-right thing was as specifically equackulated out of the gobs of the Left. I agree & am willing to let the name settle on the off-shoot of the Democratic Party collectively known as white supremacists. I’ve not heard the New Right thing. Sounds a bit like a television political satire. I’m thinking it’s a planted term by the likes of Soros, an enemy of America.

Comment by Hanover — August 18, 2017 @ 10:04 pm - August 18, 2017

18. @ ILC: I suppose my issue is that all of my answers to those questions require one or two lengthy paragraphs to flesh out. Modern politics is simply too black and white for me to go along with because I take my time to formulate my own reasons for holding a particular position, and modern politics is very much about accepting a pre-packaged identity from a vendor- typically a politician or a media personality who supports a particular agenda.

Perhaps it’s easier to define myself by what I’m not. I despise the notion of supranational bodies setting domestic and foreign policy for sovereign nations; I reject the notion that moral worth is genetically determined and that non-Europeans are somehow genetically incapable of adopting Western values; I oppose the censoring of language that the powers that be find inconvenient or offensive because the powers that be often change; I reject the notion that government should interfere in the sex lives of consenting adults, but I will never ever not feel revulsion when a woman says she gets an abortion, especially of it’s late-term; I believe that people doing business with each other without government oversight is generally best, but I’m not blind to the fact that corporations carry worrying amounts of influence in politics and I’m not opposed to Surgeon General messages on food products warning about potential health risks- just don’t ban anything outright.

Comment by Sean L — August 18, 2017 @ 10:16 pm - August 18, 2017

19. Hi KCRob
    Thanks for the reply.
    I share your disquiet about this situation, though I do not have a lot of knowledge of the proposed bill. No good will come of this if it passes in the form you suggest. I would prefer for such terms to emerge organically over time. I do not remember “Ms.” requiring legislation to make it a common title. Progressives show an authoritarian streak in this kind of situation. It isn’t attractive. But the default here seems to be that authoritarian streaks are solely the purview of the left. I don’t think so. Authoritarianism is on the left AND the right. Do you disagree with that claim KCRob?

Comment by Cas — August 19, 2017 @ 12:01 am - August 19, 2017

20. Sean – Nationalist, anti-racist, pro-free speech, moderately pro-personal choice, pro-economic freedom (though perhaps not as extreme as me). We can be in the same party 😉

Comment by ILoveCapitalism — August 19, 2017 @ 12:01 am - August 19, 2017

21. Hi ILoveCapitalism,
    Thank you for the reply.
    You said: “My counterpoint would be that ecology is full of strange niches.”

I would ask you in return–why couldn’t the same kind of argument be raised on all the different kinds of conservative beliefs. I find it rather strange that you seem to hold that racism is a lefty wing phenomenon.

That: “Racism is a variation of collectivism and tribalism. Real conservatism emphasizes either tradition, or/and the privacy and dignity of the individual.”

I want to make two points. First: Don’t you think it is a tad convenient that the notion of “niches ” apparently applies only to leftists? Or that if they do apply to conservatives, they only apply to “fake” conservatives who don’t fit the qualities you assert are most important?

Second: I wish to take issue with your claim above. Two conservative values are national or group identification and respect for traditional processes with an aversion for sudden untested change. These are very consistent with racist beliefs. You can believe in privacy., human dignity, and freedom but that does not mean you have to extend that sense of charity to those who look different to you. Southern slave owners, including those who wrote the US Constitution were conservative in outlook and value, even as they worked to provide a radical experiment in self-governance. They were racists. How do they fit into the categories you confidently offer here? Or are they fake conservatives?

One of the characteristics typically claimed by the right is a strong support for nationalism. Patriotism, love of and identification with one’s country. American exceptionalism. At its base, this is a tribalist impulse–our tribe good, your tribe … well, you get the idea.

So, I remain unconvinced by your argument. There are other arguments to make of course, but I will start with these two points that I have raised.

Comment by Cas — August 19, 2017 @ 12:58 am - August 19, 2017

22. The tool the left employs is Identity Politics, the specific Identity doesn’t matter, it’s whatever works for the cause.

The German Nazis were Aryan Supremacists because the significant majority the regional population were Aryan.

That doesn’t work here so the left uses ‘diversity’ and panders to every group…except white men.

They left also needs a boogieman. The German Nazis used the Jews while the American left uses white men, or the “Patriarchy”.

You see the same patterns in Zimbabwe, North Korea.

Comment by BigJ — August 19, 2017 @ 9:11 am - August 19, 2017