I’ve been thinking of a “List of hideous Democrat scandals that each new media frenzy serves to mask”. Examples:
- Awan family / Debbie Wasserman Schultz.
- The Bill Clinton – Loretta Lynch “tarmac” meeting, a potential obstruction of justice which is still being investigated.
- How Trumprussia Came To Be, Part I: the activities of Fusion GPS, Christopher Steele and the Hillary/DNC complex (and possibly John McCain) in spreading the fake “Trump dossier”.
- How Trumprussia Came To Be, Part 2: the Obama administration spying and “unmasking” domestic political opponents. (Probably under sketchy FISA warrants.)
- How Trumprussia Came To Be, Part 3: the intelligence agencies making fake claims of Russian hacking, when even The Nation (a left-wing magazine) now agrees that Russia probably had nothing to do with the DNC leaks in 2016.
- How Trumprussia Came To Be, Part 4: The Hillary campaign’s collaboration with a foreign government – Ukraine. (A government with neo-Nazi connections, btw.)
- The Hillary e-mail scandal is still with us; Judicial Watch keeps uncovering new Hillary emails showing new corruption.
- The Benghazi scandal, ditto. (They’re still uncovering stuff.)
- The IRS scandal, ditto. (They’re still uncovering stuff. And, strangely, IRS Comissioner John Koskinen still hasn’t been fired.)
- General pay-for-play corruption at the Clinton Foundation, ditto. (Still no Special Counsel investigation.)
Just to pick one, let’s talk Awan scandal. Its outlines have become more clear and it has hit the New York Post, at least:
Federal authorities are investigating whether sensitive data was stolen from congressional offices by several Pakistani-American tech staffers and sold to Pakistani or Russian intelligence, knowledgeable sources say.
What started out 16 months ago as a scandal involving the alleged theft of computer equipment from Congress has turned into a national security investigation involving FBI surveillance of the suspects.
Investigators now suspect that sensitive US government data — possibly including classified information — could have been compromised and may have been sold to hostile foreign governments that could use it to blackmail members of Congress or even put their lives at risk.
“This is a massive, massive scandal,” a senior US official familiar with the widening probe told The Post…
For more than a decade, Awan, his wife, two relatives and a friend worked for 30 House Democrats…members of the sensitive Intelligence and Foreign Relations committees.
The Democrats who hired the five suspects apparently did a poor job vetting them. Awan’s brother Abid had a rap sheet with multiple offenses, including a conviction for DWI a month before he was hired, and filed for bankruptcy in 2012.
Most had relatively little IT experience. Yet they hauled in a combined $4 million-plus over the past decade. One, a former McDonald’s worker, was suddenly making as much as a chief of staff…
On Thursday, a federal grand jury indicted Imran Awan on four seemingly unrelated felony counts including bank fraud, conspiracy and making false statements. They also indicted his wife, Hina Alvi.
Emphasis emphasied. The Awans did it at least partly by stealing equipment and having Democrats say “Nothing to see here”:
A chief of staff for Democratic Rep. Yvette Clarke quietly agreed in early 2016 to sign away a $120,000 missing electronics problem on behalf of two former IT aides now suspected of stealing equipment from Congress…
…the chief of staff signed a form that quietly reconciled the missing equipment in the office budget, the official told TheDCNF. Abid Awan remained employed by the office for months after the loss of the equipment was flagged.
Separately, the brothers are suspected to have orchestrated a long-running fraud scheme in which the office would purchase equipment in a way that avoided tracking by central House-wide administrators. They’re suspected of working with an employee of CDW Government Inc. — one of the Hill’s largest technology providers — to alter invoices in order to avoid tracking. The result would be that no one outside the office would notice if the equipment disappeared, and investigators think the goal of the scheme was to remove and sell the equipment outside of Congress…
Those fraud schemes are two major parts of the criminal case being built against Imran Awan, his wife Hina Alvi, his two brothers Abid and Jamal, and potentially others into their Capitol Hill IT work. Their work as IT aides gave them full access to all emails and files of dozens of members of Congress…
And on it goes.
Although the story has hit Fox or an occasional editorial page, it should be much bigger. Huge. The timing of North Korea, a small white supremacist march in Charlottesville, Muslim terrorist attacks in Europe, Alt Left protests…it’s all been amazing, huh?
By the way – Remember Debbie Perm-and-Eyeliner glowering at the Capitol Hill Police chief, back in May? Yes, that laptop she wanted back was bought in her office, for Imran Awan’s use.