Saturday Night Music Thread

Posted by V the K at 9:02 pm - September 2, 2017.
Filed under: Music

Remember Kevin Allred, the “Professor of Beyoncé Studies” who got fired after publicly demanding that the president be assassinated? Whatever, he was in the news again after accusing Taylor Swift of being a white supremacist. Do I need to go into the reasons? Does it even matter? Is a guy with a haircut like that even capable of a rational thought?

And I can think of is how Taylor Swift, and Beyoncé, and Katy Perry, and Mylie Cyrus and all those other overhyped mediocrities only wish they had pipes like this chick:

YouTube Preview Image

Seriously, I want that played at my funeral.

I have a theory. My theory is that American music is all about promoting the image and ego of the artiste.  Whereas in Korea and Japan, the singers are mostly the employees of entertainment corporations. The corporations, motivated by profit, make the music as appealing and polished as possible. Under these conditions, the music is actually better… because they are trying to produce output that fans will enjoy, instead of trying to show off how ‘versatile’ some diphead songstress is, or how ‘relevant’ she is, or how she is willing to ‘take chances’ and ‘push the envelope.”

Now, instead they produce music that’s polished, accessible, and ultimately more enjoyable. Like this song, in which I understand about three lines, but the raw emotion that’s conveyed in the singing doesn’t need a translation.

YouTube Preview Image

And there are Korean indie bands. These guys are amazing.  First actual CD I’ve bought in years because I couldn’t find a download.

1. The man bun screams a big old sissy.

Comment by davinci38 — September 2, 2017 @ 10:55 pm - September 2, 2017

2. Here’s what the teen (then) here was listening to 30 years ago, although that wasn’t even new:

Comment by Cyril — September 3, 2017 @ 1:06 am - September 3, 2017

3. I think the down side is that Japanese pop singers tend to be extremely disposable. They are manufactured by the company and quickly replaced with a new model when fashion changes or the singer gets too old. Japanese friends’ point of view is that American musicians have to do a lot of hard work on their own and learn their craft the hard way in small clubs, etc., and with that foundation they have a longer more productive career. Just an opinion with lots of exceptions, I’m sure.

Comment by Joe — September 3, 2017 @ 1:11 am - September 3, 2017

4. You’re right Cyril, but that American isn’t dead, I sure of that. Another one:

Comment by Sennacherib — September 3, 2017 @ 1:52 am - September 3, 2017

5. I understand what you are getting at, V. Here in the states, a pop singer is practically his or her chief product, almost like the music itself is secondary to the artist. How else can you explain over-the-top music videos that have next to nothing to do with the content of the lyrics? In Japan and Korea, it’s the opposite. The song has primacy; who sings it is almost an afterthought.

So on one hand, you have artists whom people go to see for their persona, more than their music; and on the other, you have performers who are interchangeable, disposable cogs in a machine. Beyonce on the one extreme, whose personal drama and “mystique” overshadows her (mostly mediocre) music; and then you AKB48, a Japanese idol group actually composed of several teams of girls.

So what is the Hegelian synthesis between this thesis and antithesis?

Comment by Sean L — September 3, 2017 @ 12:21 pm - September 3, 2017

6. Color me Old Fashioned (guilty–and a Luddite, too), but I think the best voices are from before the era of microphones for everything and everyone.

Ah, well. De gusitibus non disputandum est.

Comment by TheQuietMan — September 4, 2017 @ 8:54 am - September 4, 2017