How silly are racial categories? At least this silly

Recently I heard about Irish Latino people. The concept has to do with Irish immigration to Mexico. These people are genetically Ginger, politically and linguisticially Mexican.

Not to be confused with the Black Irish, which is any non-ginger or dark-haired Irish person, sometimes said to be descended from Spanish navy who were shipwrecked in Ireland hundreds of years ago.

They’re all fine people with valid identities. I like Irish, I like Mexican, I like gingers, I like the dark-haired. But, do you see where this is going? In today’s society you can be translucently pearl-white with family originally from Ireland – and, if you wish, claim Hispanic identity. Which is, supposedly, a “race” like any other.

“Race” is an example of an anti-category: A classifier that actually confuses people and harms rational thought, because it based on an arbitrary mix of concepts: part national origin, part skin tone, part birth language or language of your last name, and part personal choice. It’s as silly as if I were to categorize fruits based on whether they’re yellow, a type of apple, picked on a Tuesday, or something I like to cook with.

1. We should immediately drop all racial categories and move to a post-racial society.

Sure.

But, good luck with that when you also have to cope with an identity politics-obsessed cultural marxist, postmodernist left around, ya know, they who still haven’t fled to Canada (or to Mexico or to anywhere else for that matter).

Comment by Cyril — September 13, 2017 @ 4:25 pm - September 13, 2017

2. Case in point: Canelo Alvarez. Dude looks like he should be talking with a brogue or burr. But he’s Mexican. Fun fact, “Canelo” is a nickname and the Spanish word for cinnamon, which is the Latin equivalent of calling us calling red-heads “gingers.”

And even among the Irish and Scots, whom we stereotype as gingers, it’s rare. Red hair color among Europeans is actually a good indicator of Scandinavian ancestry. So a Mexican descended from Irish who got it on with Vikings- knowing the Vikings, perhaps not under great circumstances.

Are my dark curly hair and light eyes a product of my Irish heritage or my Slavic heritage? See the problem?

Every non-African in in the world traces their ancestry back to about 2,000 dark-skinned Africans. Skin color is a product of different populations responding to the need to balance vitamin D needs with reducing the risk of skin cancer. Africans get plenty of vitamin D, so their skin is dark; that’s why rickets is such a problem for blacks in the U.S., sunlight is more oblique than they are adapted to and their skin blocks vitamin D. Northern Europeans live in very low-sunlight areas, so their skin is light because the need to absorb vitamin D outweighs their risk for skin cancer. Inuit skin is bronze because their high-fish diet provides them their vitamin D, so they can afford to block all of the sun they face.

So yeah, race is pretty much the equivalent of trying to attach moral, social, and political importance to coat color in dogs. Just enjoy the variation, people. It’s the spice of life.

Comment by Sean L — September 13, 2017 @ 4:44 pm - September 13, 2017

3. the Hispanic race was an invention of the democrat party to keep their Caucasian Hispanic colonists from aligning politically with white americans. that would screw up the left’s plan to make whites a political minority thru colonization.

Comment by salg — September 13, 2017 @ 5:15 pm - September 13, 2017

4. Sarah Hoyt has a neat article on how a race is a competition and use of the word in an ethnic sense is hogwash. She uses her background to show how little meaning it has.

Comment by Jonathan — September 13, 2017 @ 6:14 pm - September 13, 2017

5. Mexican is a nationality, not a race. And yes, there was immigration to Mexico from Ireland, and also from France during the time of Emperor Maximilian, from Turkey during the waning years of the Ottoman Empire, and immigration of Jews escaping the Nazis during the 1930s and 40s, to mention just a few waves of immigration to Mexico. I have some Mexican heritage myself. But to hear today’s Democrats talk, you would think “Mexican” is a race and “Latino” is a race.

Comment by Conservative guy — September 13, 2017 @ 6:35 pm - September 13, 2017

6. Latino makes no sense to me. You can be Latino and be ethnicly Native American from Mexico, of Portuguese descent in Brazil, or White European from Spain. So the Latino “race” just means “speaks Spanish or Portuguese as a first language.”

Comment by J- — September 13, 2017 @ 6:47 pm - September 13, 2017

7. Not to mention, it also often happens to be in the eyes of the beholder only — case in point, the left will not fear to claim that any or all of the following think, speak, or look like angry [old] white men:

Sheriff Clarke, Larry Elder, Thomas Sowell, Walter E. Williams…

Go figure.

Comment by Cyril — September 13, 2017 @ 7:33 pm - September 13, 2017

8. Black Irish are the more Celtic Irish. The Celts were dark — darkish complexion, dark hair. The fair, red hair comes from the Vikings. Either raping or settling down.

Comment by Lee — September 13, 2017 @ 8:52 pm - September 13, 2017

9. @ Lee: hence why I said that Irish-Norse unions weren’t always consensual. There’s a reason why the phrase isn’t “wine-and-dine, pillage and burn.”

Comment by Sean L — September 13, 2017 @ 10:20 pm - September 13, 2017

10. In a post-racial (rational) society Progressive power would be nearly eliminated. So about half of society wouldn’t be able to use a half-fictitious concept as a crutch/bludgeon. They’d have to *gasp* think. This will never catch on.

Comment by Blair Ivey — September 13, 2017 @ 10:41 pm - September 13, 2017

11. What I find intriguing is the number of folk who tick off four or five
    Little Identity Boxes and are truly multiracial.

Comment by rusty — September 13, 2017 @ 10:50 pm - September 13, 2017

12. @SeanL:

I was surprised to learn that a not insignificant percentage of Vikings stuck around with their new “significant others” once hitting the shores of the Emerald Isle. I had always thought the Vikings were all about crushing the natives, seeing them driven before them, and hearing the lamentations of their women. But a fair number of them stuck around with the widows, and stayed. Now, admittedly, the widows may not have been real thrilled with the new man of the house…

Comment by Lee — September 14, 2017 @ 4:53 am - September 14, 2017

13. I am English, Scottish and Spanish. I am having an identity crises as I type.

Comment by fortdixmike — September 14, 2017 @ 6:00 am - September 14, 2017

14. Isn’t the comedian Louis CK an Irish Latino?

Comment by James — September 14, 2017 @ 7:58 am - September 14, 2017

15. @ James: He’s also part Hungarian. His real name is Louis Szekely, hence his stage name “Louis Szekely.”

Comment by Sean L — September 14, 2017 @ 9:35 am - September 14, 2017

16. “Anyway” — Barack Obama, Bernie Sanders, Liz Warren, John Lewis, Nancy Pelosi… and the rest of the fraud-in-flesh-and-bones clique are either closet or self-proclaimed socialists — here, that’s absolutely everything I need to know about their heritage.

Comment by Cyril — September 14, 2017 @ 10:51 am - September 14, 2017

17. Here are a collection of Colbert, SNL, the scene from the movie Dominoe (the “Race Flow Chart”), etc: ETHNIC HUMOR

Comment by Papa Giorgio — September 14, 2017 @ 11:36 am - September 14, 2017

18. Then there’s this point of view:

“I would hope that a wise Latina woman with the richness of her experiences would more often than not reach a better conclusion than a white male who hasn’t lived that life.”

Comment by Conservative Guy — September 14, 2017 @ 11:47 am - September 14, 2017

19. With my ethnicities of Irish, English, and German, I should drink a lot of beer, eat a lot of potatoes, and fight with myself a lot. Well, I’ve got the last down fairly well.

But on the greater issue of racism. I try to follow Dr. King’s “the content of their character” idea. As for different races (in anthropological terms, not the endless lefty splitting of hairs–no pun intended), I was taught to regard them as different flowers in a garden, a bit of difference to make things varied and interesting, but all valuable.

Comment by TheQuietMan — September 14, 2017 @ 11:51 am - September 14, 2017

20. The 2%er nazis/communists/progressives/libertarians still confuse race and nationality. Stupid people. I’m always amazed by people that allow themselves to be steamrolled by their stupidity when they know better.

Comment by rjligier — September 14, 2017 @ 12:45 pm - September 14, 2017

21. Louis CK supposedly has been accused of sexual misconduct.

Comment by Pawfurbehr — September 14, 2017 @ 1:02 pm - September 14, 2017

22. Progressives misuse the work “race” almost as much as they misuse “right”.

Comment by TnnsNe1 — September 14, 2017 @ 1:28 pm - September 14, 2017

23. A Professor of mine in the early 1980s cynically and wisely told his blue-eyed Sons of the American Revolution WASPy sons to put down “Hispanic” when asked when they were in college in the 1970s. “Why not, it gets you on the preferred-list these days” …courtesy of their GGGG-grandfather who was a Spanish nobleman and diplomat who married into their Philly MainLine family and left them with an ancient titled Spanish surname that goes back to the time of the Moorish invasions and Charles Martel. (Charlemagne’s grandfather for the more historically-challenged amongst us.)

Comment by Ted B. (Charging Rhino) — September 16, 2017 @ 11:21 am - September 16, 2017

24. @23, understandable. My Mexican heritage is through my grandmother, born and raised in Mexico and immigrated to the US as an adult, but her parents were European immigrants to Mexico. I well remember in the 1970s and 80s the conversations with my cousins about who was going to “check the box” for Hispanic on our college applications.

Comment by Conservative Guy — September 16, 2017 @ 12:00 pm - September 16, 2017

25. Btw, check out the cover of the new…

Playboy, European Edition

#OnlyInEurozbekistan

Comment by Cyril — September 17, 2017 @ 2:41 pm - September 17, 2017

26. @ 21, and that’s a surprise to you?

Comment by James — September 18, 2017 @ 7:57 am - September 18, 2017