Once, this great human being was our president. We didn’t deserve him. – Lesbian sooper-genius Sally Kohn, at the inauguration of the Obama Foundation
No, we probably did deserve him, what with slavery and Karma and such. But that’s not the way Obama cultist Sally Kohn looks at her Lord and Savior, Barack Obama. And she is not alone.
I think the reason the left misunderstands Trump is they think that his supporters have the same cultish devotion to him the way they had to their small, mahogany godling. And certainly there are a few, but the vast majority see Trump as a flawed man who might be able to push the country in the right direction on a few things. By and large, they do not see Trump as the sort of Superlative Messianic Figure that so many on the left saw in Barack Obama:
- “”Many spiritually advanced people I know identify Obama as a Lightworker, that rare kind of attuned being who has the ability to lead us not merely to new foreign policies or health care plans or whatnot, but who can actually help usher in a new way of being on the planet, of relating and connecting and engaging with this bizarre earthly experiment. These kinds of people actually help us evolve. They are philosophers and peacemakers of a very high order, and they speak not just to reason or emotion, but to the soul.” – Mark Morford, SFGate columnist
- To hear the president who is in some ways a father figure speak to that – the tears came down like with many people in our families,” – Andrew Sullivan, author of “The First Gay President” which was published alongside cover art featuring President Obama adorned with a halo.
- “Apostle Barack, the next young leader with a new cause, had been taken to the mountaintop and allowed to see over the other side. He had the answers to unlock the kingdom of “heaven here on earth” for his followers.” – Author Barbara Thompson
- “Obama is, of course, greater than Jesus” – Politiken
- “I mean in a way Obama’s standing above the country, above above the world, he’s sort of God.” Newsweek editor Evan Thomas