The Cult Endures

Posted by V the K at 12:30 pm - November 2, 2017.
Filed under: Obama Hopenchange

Once, this great human being was our president. We didn’t deserve him. – Lesbian sooper-genius Sally Kohn, at the inauguration of the Obama Foundation

No, we probably did deserve him, what with slavery and Karma and such. But that’s not the way Obama cultist Sally Kohn looks at her Lord and Savior, Barack Obama. And she is not alone.

I think the reason the left misunderstands Trump is they think that his supporters have the same cultish devotion to him the way they had to their small, mahogany godling. And certainly there are a few, but the vast majority see Trump as a flawed man who might be able to push the country in the right direction on a few things. By and large, they do not see Trump as the sort of Superlative Messianic Figure that so many on the left saw in Barack Obama:

• “”Many spiritually advanced people I know identify Obama as a Lightworker, that rare kind of attuned being who has the ability to lead us not merely to new foreign policies or health care plans or whatnot, but who can actually help usher in a new way of being on the planet, of relating and connecting and engaging with this bizarre earthly experiment. These kinds of people actually help us evolve. They are philosophers and peacemakers of a very high order, and they speak not just to reason or emotion, but to the soul.” – Mark Morford, SFGate columnist
  • To hear the president who is in some ways a father figure speak to that – the tears came down like with many people in our families,” – Andrew Sullivan, author of “The First Gay President” which was published alongside cover art featuring President Obama adorned with a halo.
  • “Apostle Barack, the next young leader with a new cause, had been taken to the mountaintop and allowed to see over the other side. He had the answers to unlock the kingdom of “heaven here on earth” for his followers.” – Author Barbara Thompson
  • “Obama is, of course, greater than Jesus” – Politiken
  • “I mean in a way Obama’s standing above the country, above above the world, he’s sort of God.” Newsweek editor Evan Thomas

1. people I know identify Obama as a Lightworker

So just a quick question for those of us who really aren’t that into formal classical religons: Is a “Lightworker” the same thing as a “Lightbringer“, or is it one tier down in the hierarchy?

Comment by Sathar — November 2, 2017 @ 12:45 pm - November 2, 2017

2. a couple of stories, among many, that appeared on the front pages of the star-ledger in the early halcyon days of Obama’s presidency:
    “barack Obama is the most intelligent person in human “history, he has a higher intellect then Einstein.”
    “Obama taking the job of president of the united states was a step down for him.”

Comment by salg — November 2, 2017 @ 2:02 pm - November 2, 2017

3. These are the same people who were positive HRC was going to be Empress. They are consistently wrong.

Comment by TnnsNe1 — November 2, 2017 @ 2:13 pm - November 2, 2017

4. “Err… are we talking about the same water buffalo, Bwana?

Comment by Ted B. (Charging Rhino) — November 2, 2017 @ 2:28 pm - November 2, 2017

5. FWIW, I don’t know anyone who thinks of Trump as a god, a saint, or a messiah. Even a lot of people who voted for him considered him to be merely the lesser evil.

But more and more people are starting to like him, because we love seeing MSDNC, the Clinton News Network, and Big Hollywood melt down. And the more limousine liberals and country club conservatives attack him, the more we are convinced that Trump must be doing something right.

If Big Media’s Trump Derangement Syndrome continues, the backlash against it will only increase. We may end up with the same blind adulation for Trump that the leftists have for Obama and Clinton

Comment by Tom — November 2, 2017 @ 2:30 pm - November 2, 2017

6. Even though I don’t care for the way that Trump fights back, I am beginning to think maybe it’s the only way to fight back. Jeb or Kasich would not have pushed back at all. Cruz might have, but in a way that was too erudite for the masses. Maybe a dirty brawler is what we needed to take the fight to the left. I am undecided on the point.

Comment by V the K — November 2, 2017 @ 2:37 pm - November 2, 2017

7. I don’t love Donald Trump, but I did think he was a better option than Hillary. As president, so far he has mostly exceeded the admittedly low expectations I had for him.

Comment by Conservative guy — November 2, 2017 @ 5:17 pm - November 2, 2017

8. I agree, Conservative Guy (#7). In fact, I was going to skip that line on my ballot until the press made such a big deal out of the 12 year old TV tapes. Anyone who p1ssed the press off that much must have some good in him.

Comment by TheQuietMan — November 2, 2017 @ 7:46 pm - November 2, 2017

9. I’m sure that if I thought about it, I could think of a few things BHO did that were useful but I can’t think of anything extraordinary, much less divine.

If we use the Reagan test: were we better off at the end of BHO’s term than we were at the start, I’d say “no”. We were still entangled in pointless wars (and added a couple of new ones); we doubled the debt; the swamp is even swampier than before; and the populace is hopelessly divided.

The SFGate columnist mentions healthcare and foreign policy as lightworker-grade accomplishments. “Fiasco” would be close to the truth.

Comment by KCRob — November 2, 2017 @ 9:17 pm - November 2, 2017

10. And as it always seems, you can understand the Left’s thought process by realising that they are projecting their worldview onto us. They decry racism because they themselves are racist. They decry rape culture because they are complicit in a rape culture. They assume that we think like they think and want the same things they do, just inverted. They really can’t seem to understand that our goals and the ways we view the world are entirely different from theirs.

Comment by Clifford — November 2, 2017 @ 10:35 pm - November 2, 2017