A Little Bit of Pushback Against Protest Culture

Posted by V the K at 1:54 pm - November 4, 2017.
Filed under: Academia,Post 9-11 America
TraThis article at The Atlantic seems to suggest that students who go to college in hopes of actually learning something are getting fed-up with protest culture. This would be a welcome change.  Although the Progressive Leftists have become so adept with their bullying and intimidation tactics that few students were willing to go on the record to express their disapproval.
I was struck by something as I read this Facebook post from one of the radicals.
“To all the white & able(mentally/physically) who don’t come to sit-ins(ever, anymore, rarely): all i got is shade for you. [… If] you ain’t with me, then I will accept that you are against me. There’s 6 hums left, I best be seein all u phony ass white allies show-up. […] How you gonna be makin all ur white supremacy messes & not help clean-up your own community by coming and sitting for a frickin hour & still claim that you ain’t a laughin at a lynchin kinda white.”
Translated from the original Idiot: “If you are white and don’t participate in my protests, I will call you a racist. Also, you’re a racist even if you do participate in my protest.”
OK, here’s a theory. Suppose you were a student of mediocre ability who got accepted to a university because of some other factor unrelated to your academic abilities. You get there and you discover the coursework is way over your head. So what do you do? A. Buckle down, work harder, and learn what you can. B. Transfer to another school more closely suited to your abilities. or C. Rail that the difficult classes are actually “racist,” “oppressive to marginalized communities,” and “support a system of white supremacy.” Only one of these options is both easy and assures you of societal approval.

1. Never heard of Reed College, must be a Left Coast kind’a place. Where I went to college in the 1970s, the frat boys would have come and thrown the SJW sorry-a**es out into the Commons. …Then poured stale beer left-over from last night’s frat-crawl on them.

Comment by Ted B. (Charging Rhino) — November 4, 2017 @ 2:35 pm - November 4, 2017

2. The attention span of the current white guilt sjw’s so the Standard current false narrative-obsessed minorities are going to always be disappointed in the performance of their “diversity partners”.

Comment by Hanover — November 4, 2017 @ 3:10 pm - November 4, 2017

3. Option A is the best option. It worked for me.

Comment by Pawfurbehr — November 4, 2017 @ 4:30 pm - November 4, 2017

4. The side effect of option ‘C’ is to plaster other minorities that can and will do the work, earning a degree based on their own hard work, with the “affirmative action” label (only graduated from _____ because of race/sex/ethnicity.

These people know they’re in over their heads, they they’re being patronized, and they resent it.

If this is how this “radical” actually speaks and writes, s/he has no business at college; should never have passed third grade.

Comment by KCRob — November 4, 2017 @ 4:38 pm - November 4, 2017

5. I was wondering if anyone was (I don’t think I mean “were”) going to comment about the appalling lack of communication in the “radical’s” posting.

While I usually don’t have the chutzpah, I would like to think that I might stand up and say to RAR “Shut up. I paid to take this class, and I want my money’s worth.” (I went to university back when protests were not in the classes, and despite the overall reputation of the university, some departments [excluding science, math, classics, and engineering departments which were focused on their areas] had differing political views.

Comment by TheQuietMan — November 4, 2017 @ 10:45 pm - November 4, 2017

6. To the person that wrote that screed that was grammatically unworkable, wanna bet that person was a Negro? Have him/her go to some black university with lower standards, and they will fit in very well.

Comment by davinci38 — November 5, 2017 @ 4:06 pm - November 5, 2017

7. OK, here’s a theory. Suppose you were a student of mediocre ability who got accepted to a university because of some other factor unrelated to your academic abilities. You get there and you discover the coursework is way over your head. So what do you do? …C. Rail that the difficult classes are actually “racist,” “oppressive to marginalized communities,” and “support a system of white supremacy.” Only one of these options is both easy and assures you of societal approval.

A judge predicted this nearly a half century ago when he looked at Yale Law School’s new program of affirmative action admissions. Yale Law had decided to greatly increase the number of black students. The amazing 1969 prophecy that racial preferences would cause the exact grievances of protesters today. Increasing blacks in entering classes resulted in admitting “43 black students, only five of whom had qualified under their normal standards. ” The judge pointed out this meant that black law students entered Yale Law with an inferior status- their grades and scores were below normal Yale Law standards. The judge went on to predict:

No one can be expected to accept an inferior status willingly. The black students, unable to compete on even terms in the study of law, inevitably will seek other means to achieve recognition and self-expression. This is likely to take two forms. First, agitation to change the environment from one in which they are unable to compete to one in which they can. Demands will be made for elimination of competition, reduction in standards of performance, adoption of courses of study which do not require intensive legal analysis, and recognition for academic credit of sociological activities which have only an indirect relationship to legal training. Second, it seems probable that this group will seek personal satisfaction and public recognition by aggressive conduct, which, although ostensibly directed at external injustices and problems, will in fact be primarily motivated by the psychological needs of the members of the group to overcome feelings of inferiority caused by lack of success in their studies. Since the common denominator of the group of students with lower qualifications is one of race this aggressive expression will undoubtedly take the form of racial demands–the employment of faculty on the basis of race, a marking system based on race, the establishment of a black curriculum and a black law journal, an increase in black financial aid, and a rule against expulsion of black students who fail to satisfy minimum academic standards.

Which is what happened.