Moore to the Point

Posted by V the K at 8:33 pm - November 10, 2017.
Filed under: Call Me Cynical But...

Roy Moore is toast. I don’t know the truth of the allegations, and neither do any of you. But the truth hardly ever matters in politics. What matters is that Alabama voters will not want to vote for a creep. They are not like Massachusetts Democrats who re-elected Gerry Studds ten times after he molested a Congressional page and named a Marine Sanctuary after him. No, Moore’s candidacy for the senate is dead and with it any hope of tax reform, border security, or Obamacare repeal. Which will be fine with Mitch McConnell and the Republican Establishment because they didn’t really want to do any of those things anyway.

Republicans have been rushing to throw Moore to the wolves, knowing full well that under Alabama law he can’t withdraw from the race and so he would be essentially forfeiting the seat to a Democrat. but I don’t think they realize that this is not a one-shot deal. Going forward, every Republican candidate for anything is going to be dogged, like clockwork, one month before the allegations, by allegations of sexual misconduct. And like I said, the allegations don’t have to be true, they only have to be timed properly.

One more thing, I noticed that CNN all day has been using the construction that a woman has accused Moore of “Initiating a Sexual Encounter.” It’s an interesting and very deliberate way to describe what what happened because, even according to the accuser, there was no sex. If what the woman claims happened happened, then it was still gross and skeevy, but it wasn’t sex. But by phrasing it that way, CNN sure makes it sound like Moore had sex with an underage girl, which is what they want you to think. It’s the opposite of when they characterize Anthony Weiner as “sending inappropriate texts” or Hillary of “mishandling emails” in order to downplay what they actually did. This is not a defense of Moore, just an observation about the media.

28 Comments »

1. I’m going to respectfully agree with most everything that V the K has presented, but I will say that President Trump has declared that one way or the other he is going to decapitate Obamacare. I’m inclined to take that to the bank with his performance so far.

I will say that the ruthlessness of these sexual allegations being used as current fodder for removing politicians is not necessarily a new precedent but an amped up tactic by the Democrats and we all know that they have set precedents in the past decade which are now biting them in the ass. What is good for the goose is also good for the gander.

It’s a tactic being used to attempt a turnaround because they’re Hollywood Elite base has been neutralized by the Harvey Weinstein effect.

The Donald the base remains intact and is growing not only bye default because of his placement in office but because of his performance and the overall happiness of actual voters. We the People are still here.

I’m not being mindlessly optimistic either.

Comment by Hanover — November 10, 2017 @ 9:28 pm - November 10, 2017

2. I’d like to think that the voters in Alabama can recognize a hatchett job when they see it especially after the same thing was done to Trump just prior to the election. Keep a good thought and push money into Moore’s campaign as well as opening a lawsuit against these fake accusers and hope the election puts Moore into office and the fear of God into McConnell, McCain and all those Republicans that either engineered or helped engineer this assault on freedom.

Comment by scr_north — November 10, 2017 @ 9:57 pm - November 10, 2017

3. Going forward, every Republican candidate for anything is going to be dogged, like clockwork, one month before the allegations, by allegations of sexual misconduct.

That may or may not be true but what is more relevant is whether the accusations stick and have an effect. The Fall of 2016 was riddled with accusations and allegations about a particular candidate for office who was supposedly super cool with randomly sexually assaulting various women in his realm and, as we’ve been told countless times since, “bragging” about it. The result? That candidate won over a woman who was always there for her sisters and would never ever throw them under the bus for her own needs.

The allegations and the accusations in the above example are still unproven exactly one year after they were supposed to have made the candidate’s chances of winning exactly zero. The Moore case is slightly different in that, as a teevee commentator said earlier today, the lugnuts on the wheels of the accusations are pretty tight; which is to say that the accusers didn’t come forth for a payout or a moment in the spotlight and their stories were corroborated by others whom they do not now associate with. Outlandish? Perhaps to some of us, but as the world of entertainment continues to provide evidence of people in the 21st Century who seem to think that people—particularly young people—are sex toys for those adults who want them to be such. So similar allegations decades old can’t quite be put in the dustbin of ancient irrelevance. Perhaps Roy Moore’s greatest travesty (or recipient of karmic justice) is to be running for public office in the Fall of 2017.

PS Laura Ingraham is also referring to the Moore allegations as “sexual encounters”. To be fair, no accuser is claiming that he just wanted to smell their hair or give them foot massages.

Comment by RSG — November 10, 2017 @ 10:14 pm - November 10, 2017

4. I’m waiting for the results of some official investigation before I get upset. However, this smear tactic is too effective, and will be used again and again and again. I don’t know if anything can be done in this vale of tears, but I shall pray that the false accusers get suitably punished in the after world.

My respect for politicos and the main stream media is getting more and more negative all the time.

Comment by TheQuietMan — November 10, 2017 @ 11:03 pm - November 10, 2017

5. This isn’t the first time the uni-party has found something on an candidate who got uppity and won a primary they weren’t supposed to. The swamp protects it’s own.

Comment by Karen — November 11, 2017 @ 1:05 am - November 11, 2017

6. Hi V the K,
    ““Initiating a Sexual Encounter.”… If what the woman claims happened happened, then it was still gross and skeevy, but it wasn’t sex.” Hmm:

“On a second visit, she says, he took off her shirt and pants and removed his clothes. He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear.”

Gross and skeevy? I grant it is not penetrative sex, but would the gentleman concerned be up on sexual assault charges if it had happened today? Is this activity “sexual” in nature? I would think that it would be accurate to say that it was, wouldn’t you? If so, saying that Moore “Initiated a Sexual Encounter” is an ACCURATE way to describe this situation. It is that which makes it, “gross and skeevy,” disgusting and also illegal.

And V the K, why limit such allegations and their impact just to Republicans? Democrats are not immune. Men who wield power have a pretty crappy record when it comes to wielding that power over women. And such men come in all political stripes. I would expect more such exposures–Rep & Dem…

Comment by Cas — November 11, 2017 @ 1:59 am - November 11, 2017

7. All hands on deck. I’m wondering what Heliotrope has to say on this matter.

Comment by Hanover — November 11, 2017 @ 2:00 am - November 11, 2017

8. And V the K,
    I don’t think Moore is toast. I expect him to get elected. If DT can brag about sexually assaulting women, have those claims plastered all over the media, and have a number of women come forward and say he sexually assaulted them, and still be elected President of the United States, I think Moore can weather the storm and become a US Senator, if he just issues blanket denials. He has to stop saying: “Not generally, no” though, when asked if he dated underage girls. That is not helping his case …

Comment by Cas — November 11, 2017 @ 2:07 am - November 11, 2017

9. Hi Cas,

Always a pleasure to see you (and Rusty). Quite honestly, I’m disturbed that V the K felt compelled to qualify anything in paragraph three of his post. I can’t imagine he would be writing such a piece had the 14-year-old been one of his foster children, completing neglecting the psychological effects the experiences had on the child. The man placed her hand on his penis. I mean … no words …

Also, “rushing to throw Moore to the wolves” is a funny way of expressing “hedging one’s bets,” because, outside of McCain and Romney, most initial reactions involved the term “if” (which V the K also employs by reminding us that we don’t know the truth; forget the thirty or so corroborating secondhand accounts from the time of the incidents). For the record, I did not use the term “if” when it came to Weinstein and Spacey. Nor did most people on GP. I believe Rose McGowan. I believe Ashley Judd. I believe Anthony Rapp. And I believe Leigh Corfman.

But, V the K’s post? We can’t even be united in common decency. I guess there really are two Americas: the ones who disown those who harm children and the ones who come armed with asterisks. Instructional, fer sure. And inconsistent. And sad.

Sincerely,
    CCP

Comment by CrayCrayPatriot — November 11, 2017 @ 2:33 am - November 11, 2017

10. CrayCray, I do not find anything that V the K said to be condoning pedophilia or pederasty or whatever the crime is labeled. Here’s the issue: every single day someone new is being accused. Most of them, including Moore, are likely true. However, what bothers me is that most people are believing the accusations simply because they are made. Again, most are likely true, but the last year, in particular, has taught, if nothing else, that there are plenty of people who will twist any public figure’s words or actions around in order to cast a shred of doubt upon their legitimacy, especially if that public figure is not in agreement with those peoples’ ideals. All of this is to say, no one on GP believes any kind of sexual assault is okay. I think most however are coming to the conclusion I have: I don’t trust any news or social media outlets for any information anymore, and I hardly trust anything that most people say anymore either. There is a general prevalence of mendacity in the world today, accompanied by a need to be self-serving and agenda-focused. In a world like that, half truths and false assumptions run rampant, to the point that nothing anyone says can be taken at face value without questioning a motive being behind it.

Comment by TAD — November 11, 2017 @ 3:47 am - November 11, 2017

11. Hi Cas,

P.S. I still can’t get over this sentence:

I don’t know whether to be angry, laugh, or roll my eyes. I mean … W.T.F.?

What person with any integrity and decency writes something like that? And a parent too, of all things. Forcing a child to place their hand on one’s d!ck is SEXUALLY ASSAULT. That IS a sexual encounter. And even if one doesn’t want to designate it one, WHY WOULD ANYONE EVEN TAKE EXCEPTION to a SEXUALLY ASSAULT being described as a SEXUAL ENCOUNTER?

Mind-boggling and gross. A new low for V the K.

Sincerely,
    CCP

Comment by CrayCrayPatriot — November 11, 2017 @ 8:10 am - November 11, 2017

12. @ V the K: Neither was what Anthony Rapp has accused Kevin Spacey of doing, but I don’t recall you saying “Well hey, that wasn’t really sex.” If Moore had been accused of “simply” putting a dirty pair of the girl’s underwear on his face and then masturbating, would you be cool with that?

The woman who was 14-years-old is a life-long Republican and voted for Trump. The four women who have come forward had no prior knowledge of each other, are named, and there are 30 people who can confirm that the women told them about the incidents both at the time and afterwards.

Yet why wait so long? It has been 20-30 years since these alleged events, well past the statute of limitations and any chance of getting justice in court. And yeah, the timing is very convenient for the Democrats. No ignoring that. But why, V, do you routinely bring up the allegations against Bill Clinton, but try to mitigate a really disgusting accusation against Moore?

Besides, I’m not sure the loss of a politician who has expressed interest in bringing sodomy laws back is a terrible thing. We don’t need to confirm stereotypes about right-wingers right now.

So in conclusion, V, congratulations. In your rush to try and defend a Republican, you have tried to diminish the severity of disgusting actions he is accused of. How very Democrat of you. Is a Republican majority really so important to you that you’re willing to try and mitigate child molestation? Godspeed, you crazy tribalist.

Comment by Sean L — November 11, 2017 @ 8:56 am - November 11, 2017

13. I guess what really bugs me is that I now have to consider my grandfather a pedophile. My grandmother was 13 when they married. Of course, life expectancy was a whole lot shorter until very recently. I graduated from high school in 1974 and it wasn’t uncommon for my friends to get married at 17 or 18. We only expected to make it to our sixties so things had to be done earlier and quicker. I have a friend who graduated with me and she is a great-grandmother already. Making modern standards retroactive is stupid and destructive.

Comment by Robin — November 11, 2017 @ 9:29 am - November 11, 2017

14. A couple of points, 38 years ago. I have no idea if the accusations are true, but the appearance of them now is highly suspect. It seems like requirements for running for office as a Republican conservative is to have lived like a saint and be able to prove it beyond a reasonable doubt. If he wins, the Senate can refuse to seat him, until he proves he has been a neutered male until married. I am really concerned that all the screeching about past sexual misconduct is going to lead some where bad. Just think of the fun the libprogs will have if the statue of limitations is eliminated.

Comment by Matthew the Oilman — November 11, 2017 @ 9:40 am - November 11, 2017

15. My two cents…we don’t know how many of these allegations are true. I’m inclined to disbelieve the Moore charges simply because the left—since election of Trump—has shown it will stoop to anything to stop Trump’s outsider agenda.

In fact, we’re it not for Trump’s ascendency to the President, I don’t believe any of this would be happening. Weinstein would still be doing his third ng, etc.

Is it an exaggeration to think this is part of a war on white conservative men? Even hitting on someone once is verboten.

Comment by Niall — November 11, 2017 @ 10:44 am - November 11, 2017

16. Auto fill in typo……”still be doing his thing, etc.”

Comment by Niall — November 11, 2017 @ 10:47 am - November 11, 2017

17. if true, it is only people behaving the way liberal America encouraged them to behave for the last fifty years. what ever happened to free love?

Comment by salg — November 11, 2017 @ 10:57 am - November 11, 2017

18. I don’t like Moore – he seems a bit of a nutter (although I was on his side during the Ten Commandments thing a few years back).

What irritates the snot out of me is the double-standard. All during the Clinton years, we were told by the Dems that “it’s only sex; don’t be so uptight” and “oral sex isn’t sex” and “depends on the meaning of what is is”.

Whoopi Goldberg and others told us that Polanski’s rape of a young teen girl wasn’t “rape rape”. And, of course, the elites (Teen Vogue, for example, along with “educators” and non-profits) see nothing wrong with teaching children the joys of anal sex and proper and fun use of condoms.

My irritation on the GOP side is the rush to the exits and eagerness to throw people under the bus. Say what you like, the Dems stick by their pervs (aforementioned Gerry Studds, Bill Clinton, Ted Kennedy…). I don’t give a damn what John McCain, the old fool, thinks

I suspect the allegations against Moore are true based on the news (keeping in mind that the news is often BS). If it turns out that the accusations are fiction then the accuser should be liable and punished (be it civil or criminal). It’s too easy these days for someone to destroy another’s life. Just remember back to the child-sex hysterias of the 90s (McMartin preschool; Wenatchee, WA; the Amiraults; etc).

If the story is true, he should bow out as he will be worse than useless in the Senate, dogged by this from now on out. Plus, it’s the right thing to do. If he’s not guilt then the “go to hell” approach is appropriate and he should soldier on and let the voters make the call.

What’s sad is that we’re heading into a war with Iran (Russia) and, possibly, the Norks. The economy is headed for a crash despite the irrational exuberance of the day. Our culture and tradition are headed down the memory hole, destroyed by the left, and no one knows what will replace it. The West is dying of exhaustion and slow suicide – and again, the replacement culture won’t be good.

And we’re obsessed with sex.

@6 – Cas, I disagree with your statement “men who wield power”. The correct statement is “sleazy men”. A lot of powerful men are decent and there are a few men *and women*, some of whom have no power over anyone, that are sleaze.

Comment by KCRob — November 11, 2017 @ 12:45 pm - November 11, 2017

19. One of the claims against him came from a grandmother who was 17 when Moor was 30, she said they dated for 3 months and only made it to the kissing stage then. The actual sex claim reads like the Rolling Stone hoax.

“Gibson says that they dated for two to three months, and that he took her to his house, read her poetry and played his guitar. She says he kissed her once in his bedroom and once by the pool at a local country club.

“Looking back, I’m glad nothing bad happened,” says Gibson, who now lives in Florida. “As a mother of daughters, I realize that our age difference at that time made our dating inappropriate.”

Comment by Steve — November 11, 2017 @ 12:46 pm - November 11, 2017

20. CCP. If V the K admits that Moore’s touching episode was sexual assault will you admit that Clinton’s oral escapades in the White House was sexual relations? If not, then I think you have no veracity.

Comment by TAD — November 11, 2017 @ 2:06 pm - November 11, 2017

21. If the accusation is true, her father should have gone after him with a shotgun. That said, the 70’s were a different time in terms of social values. The most liberal show on TV featured a main character who was a sexual predator, a black character named … I am not making this up… “Spear-Chucker”… and a man who wore a dress to convince people he was crazy. All of that would drive modern progressives apoplectic, but in the 1970’s, that *was* progressive. Also in the 1970’s, a gay Massachusetts Democrat congressman had sexual intercourse with an underage house page. The people of Massachusetts re-elected him nine times afterwards. Different times, I guess.

Comment by V the K — November 11, 2017 @ 2:16 pm - November 11, 2017

22. I don’t like Moore – he seems a bit of a nutter (although I was on his side during the Ten Commandments thing a few years back).

I don’t like Moore either, but I have contempt and loathing for politicians generally. (And journalists)

Comment by V the K — November 11, 2017 @ 2:17 pm - November 11, 2017

23. Hi TAD,

V the K doesn’t have to write anything he doesn’t want to write (obviously). I know in my heart how I feel about this. And he has expressed how he feels. And there seems to be an alarming difference between how he feels and how I feel (along with Sean L, who astutely points out that Corfman voted for Trump).

Hi V the K,

Considering that it was a child custody hearing that introduced the sexual predator into the lives of her and her daughter, perhaps you might consider that the father wasn’t in the picture and perhaps for good reason too. But, then, have you even read the article? “After talking to her friends, Corfman says, she began to feel that she had done something wrong and kept it a secret for years.” It sounds like there is a great deal about sexual abuse you don’t understand, as there is no one “right” way to respond, but, often, shame and silence play key roles on top of the emotional trauma that victims go through. “She says that her teenage life became increasingly reckless with drinking, drugs, boyfriends, and a suicide attempt when she was 16.”

But, the fact that you have doubled down on “if” (especially after the Sean Hannity interview) is disgusting. “Crazy tribalist” is a pretty accurate descriptor too.

Cheers,
    CCP

Comment by CrayCrayPatriot — November 11, 2017 @ 3:09 pm - November 11, 2017

24. So, I said that Moore’s candidacy was toast and called him creepy and skeevy… and yet am accused of “condoning his behavior.”

Sure. Fine. Whatever.

Comment by V the K — November 11, 2017 @ 4:38 pm - November 11, 2017

25. Hi V the K,

IN PLAIN ENGLISH: the doubts you expressed towards Moore’s accusers vs. Weinstein’s has been very clear and different. I’m not sure if it’s pride, reading comprehension as the obstacle or you’re just being deceptive, but you need to re-read your entire comments on both.

“Sure. Fine. Whatever,” is a non-response.

Cheers,
    CCP

Comment by CrayCrayPatriot — November 11, 2017 @ 4:57 pm - November 11, 2017

26. Hi V the K,

I said that Moore’s candidacy was toast

All you did here was make a prediction of Moore’s political prospects.

Cheers,
    CCP

Comment by CrayCrayPatriot — November 11, 2017 @ 4:59 pm - November 11, 2017

27. Hi V the K,
    Can we agree that–if true–this is an example of “sexual assault,” rather than just be coy and say that it “wasn’t sex.” You do give the impression that you are dodging CrayCrayPatriot.

Hi KCRob,

I respectfully disagree with you. Just because a lot of powerful men are honorable doesn’t excuse the fact that it IS because they have power that men can and do commit sexual harassment assault. Reading about the sexual harassment of women in Congress by men who hold power.. Hollywood is just one area and not the only one… sorry KCRob; I can’t support your claim.

And Robin,
    I don’t think your grandfather is a pedophile for marrying a 13 year old. Moore was not planning on marrying the individuals that he was “dating.”

Comment by Cas — November 12, 2017 @ 12:05 am - November 12, 2017

28. Except for the latest accuser we are only being shown pictures of these women when they were in high school next to a current picture of the accuser. That is blatant manipulation.

Comment by Linda Strickland — November 14, 2017 @ 10:45 am - November 14, 2017