The New Segregation

New York Times editorial: “Can my children be friends with White People?”

Donald Trump’s election has made it clear that I will teach my boys the lesson generations old, one that I for the most part nearly escaped. I will teach them to be cautious, I will teach them suspicion, and I will teach them distrust. Much sooner than I thought I would, I will have to discuss with my boys whether they can truly be friends with white people.

Now, imagine if a white editorialist had written that his children couldn’t be friends with black children because of President Obama.

14 Comments »

1. They have become blind to their own racism, sexism, and bigotry. That only happens to white Anglo-Saxon protestant males.

Comment by Craig Smith — November 12, 2017 @ 11:27 am - November 12, 2017

2. Larry Elder on race

Comment by Jake — November 12, 2017 @ 11:36 am - November 12, 2017

3. If it was me I would categorize this under, tyranny of the minority. White guilt liberals allow this, verbally, while pragmatically ignoring this stupid reverse discrimination and insult. Liberal whites who run the Democrat Plantation see no danger to their system. Most blacks on the left are ignorant of this leftist dynamic, except of course, Donna Brazile.

Comment by Hanover — November 12, 2017 @ 11:56 am - November 12, 2017

4. Define your terms; most progressives and Liberals today are not “white Anglo-Saxon protestant males”.

Comment by Ted B. (Charging Rhino) — November 12, 2017 @ 12:24 pm - November 12, 2017

5. Read the article. 1 part projection, and 3 parts all of that “judgemental” crap that conservative are supposed to suppress.

The author really has absolutely no idea what he’s saying.

Comment by alanstorm — November 12, 2017 @ 3:24 pm - November 12, 2017

6. @3 hanover, white guilt is how liberal America keeps whites on the democrat plantation. why else would white people vote for a party that practices racial discrimination against them, unless they deserve it.

Comment by salg — November 12, 2017 @ 3:35 pm - November 12, 2017

7. It’s my understanding that Richard Spencer, as a white nationalist, advocates a white ethno-state. Seeing pieces like this (and countless others), I’m force to concede that Spencer has a point.

When toxic sludge like this NYT piece is the norm, I do not see how racial harmony is achievable. There are too many people with a stake in keeping the pot boiling.

Comment by KCRob — November 12, 2017 @ 4:15 pm - November 12, 2017

8. I remember when John Derbyshire got fired from National Review for writing pretty much the same thing.

Comment by Southern Man — November 12, 2017 @ 4:19 pm - November 12, 2017

9. I feel sorry for him for looking at the world this way.

Part of the problem may be a limitation of the English language. He is using the word friendship for both people whom one can spend time with enjoyably–party together, invite each other over for dinner and other events–and the type of friends whom one wants with one in the fort when the bad guys are coming over the hill.

He needs to sort that out before he next writes on the subject. I hope his supervisors and editors help him on that process before he further divides our country on this issue.

I still think we were closer to a more color blind society ten years ago than we are now. I’m not saying we were close ten years ago, but closer, and probably moving in the right direction.

Comment by TheQuietMan — November 12, 2017 @ 5:07 pm - November 12, 2017

10. Larry Elder is AWESOME!!!!

Comment by TAD — November 12, 2017 @ 5:55 pm - November 12, 2017

11. “When all the statues are torn down and schools have been renamed (e.g Stand Watie, Principal Chief of the Cherokee and Confederate General whose name was stripped from an OKC school) and pushed down the memory hole, the societal issues will remain and new scapegoats will need to be found.”

Exactly, KCRob. It never ends. There is no sufficient level of apology or recompense, particularly if one can make money/gains power off collective guilt. I think the rift is now unbridgeable, and that’s just the way the race hustlers want it.

Comment by Samuel Gaines — November 13, 2017 @ 9:44 am - November 13, 2017

12. Children can be friends with anybody, unless their parents don’t want them to. Pretty straight forward racism there. That’s sad.

Comment by Robin — November 13, 2017 @ 11:14 am - November 13, 2017

13. His wife is white. If he has more than one child, does that mean they can’t play with each other?

Comment by Vikki — November 14, 2017 @ 7:05 am - November 14, 2017

14. This is nothing new. Any quick glance into a work lunchroom or college cafeteria, will see all the black employees/students together with nary a white in sight. I was once at a work party in which all the black people went into an office and shut the door! They learn at their parents’ knee to hate and distrust whites. Personally, at this point, I don’t give a damn what they feel or think.

Comment by miss marmelstein — November 17, 2017 @ 8:47 am - November 17, 2017