Will Progressives Rethink Strategy Now That It’s Backfiring?

Posted by V the K at 6:17 pm - November 29, 2017.
Filed under: Democratic Scandals

When the Feminists embarked on the strategy of weaponizing “sexual misconduct” allegations to take down “the Patriarchy,” they had in mind men like Clarence Thomas, Roy Moore, Donald Trump, and Bill O’Reilly. I don’t think they imagined that the pile of skulls outside NOW Headquarters would include A-list Hollywood producers and Democrat megadonors, a very liberal Democrat senator, two and perhaps three very left-wing congressmen, and an increasing number of reliably left-wing media figures.

I would predict that — after the Alabama senate election is decided, most definitely not before — we are going to begin to see in the media and the press a call to reconsider the definition of what constitutes sexual misconduct and how allegations of sexual misconduct ought to be handled. We’ve seen some foreshadowing of this in calls to, for example, give Al Franken a break because he’s “one of the good guys.” Maybe there will be a call for a return of the “one-grope rule” that was formulated back in 1998 to help Bill Clinton escape judgment for his own sexual misconduct. The progressive left is going to have to do something to avoid being destroyed by the monster they created when they dumbed down “sexual misconduct” to mean, “He asked me for a date more than once after I refused.”

There is a precedent in American History for a time when it was demanded that due process be cast aside, that “women must be believed,” because the accusations being made were so serious, and so harmful to the community. At the end of this period, 19 people had been executed for witchcraft. I guess you could argue that the approach was a success since nobody in Salem, Massachusetts practiced witchcraft for a long time after that. But when it was over, people began rethinking whether accusations alone were enough to suspend due process, and whether the whole exercise had really been as good an idea as it had seemed in the beginning.

1. I see Garrison Keillor has been fired from whatever he was still doing at Minn. Public Radio. While he’s notoriously left, I occasionally enjoyed Prairie Home Companion when he was hosting it.

I don’t know the details of what he is alleged to have done but the reaction is dumb: they’re pulling “best of” episodes from the air and changing the name of the show because he used to host it some years ago.

I can’t help being reminded of Winston Smith placing tape over pictures and the Soviets airbrushing people from pictures.

I suspect the left laments some of the losses but it won’t slow them down. Got to break a few eggs and all that.

Obviously, people shouldn’t grope others without permission but this witch hunt is screwing up society. One of the things a decent society relies on is trust – the main casualty here.

It wasn’t that long ago that conservatives were regarded as uptight prudes – sexually repressed and squaresville because they resisted “let it all hang out” license; self-control was frowned upon because it discouraged people from acting on feelings.

Now people who imbibed the progressive culture of the recent past are being strung up for it. The whiplash must be painful.

You can’t keep up on the gropers without a program and it’s likely I’m not up to date but I think Al Franken’s offense was eight-grade humor (tune in Tokyo!). As much as I detest Franken, the idea that he should resign over this is ludicrous. Why should a senator resign over something like this while senators who’ve signed off on debacles that have cost us trillions and gotten thousand of people killed stay?

Comment by KCRob — November 29, 2017 @ 6:39 pm - November 29, 2017

2. I’m going to applaud KCRob’s take on the matter. And inform him that I am only ever supportive of his view on things and only goad a clarification every once in awhile.

I suspect this Pandora’s Box wasn’t opened on purpose. However, I do believe the liberal trendsetters set the stage for the whole matter of substantive cannibalism on the left. I am indeed more than willing to be biased on the matter and completely unfair in the pleasure I take at so many, many donors and thought givers on the left being ripped apart. We all do know that self-righteousness has been the mode of operation of the left and not the right, despite opinions to the contrary based on religion and whatever.

The better him than me concept, of course. Thank you Bill Cosby, I’m so glad you’re going blind now. Wink, wink.

Comment by Hanover — November 29, 2017 @ 7:46 pm - November 29, 2017

3. Rush , on his radio show several years ago was talking about a feminist college professor. She made the claim this for women all penetration sex was rape. I wonder if this is all related to intersectionality.

I am now, as a hetetnormative white male, looking back at my sex life and wondering. It all seemed consensual, but what happens when one of my former partners changes her (or his) mind? Am I now going to be tagged as a sexual harasser?

As much as we all are enjoying the show, there is a concern for everyone with a penis.

I think this is going to get to be epicly ugly. The media democratic complex are going to transform this into a campaign issue in 2018 and 2020. They will propose laws to make sexual harassment a federal crime and eliminate the statue on limitations. As for those vacuous baritones who populate the media, you have to bet some eggs to make a omelet.

I hope I am wrong. Good Night all.

Comment by Matthew the Oilman — November 29, 2017 @ 9:53 pm - November 29, 2017

4. Change bet to break. Sorry.

Comment by Matthew the Oilman — November 29, 2017 @ 9:54 pm - November 29, 2017

5. The Left’s 3 big power bases: Academia, Political world, and the Media/Hollywood. They are now taking a beating (possibly fatal) in the last two and will in the first one. They think they’ve smoothed it over in some cases, but people remember.

Comment by Sennacherib — November 30, 2017 @ 6:10 am - November 30, 2017

6. What Matthew said. I think the felling of many trees (pardon the semi-pun) in this clear-cut of males is a feature, not a bug. Obviously, at least some of these creeps had it coming, but I can’t help but wonder if there won’t be many second thoughts rooted in long-ago encounters for women who suddenly find they can jump on the victim train without consequence, whether they were assaulted/harassed or not. The line is far from clear, as was made clear during recent feminist condemnations of all men (such as the “#yesallwomen” Twitter frenzy and such). If any unwanted romantic or sexual advance is de facto harassment (and since such an unwanted advance can’t be ascertained as “unwanted” without first being advanced), then all men (straight, gay, whatever) are in danger.
    As usual, I think it’s wise to have as little to do with people who are not yourself as possible, and keep that contact as superficial as possible. I only comment at length here because I have always found this site to be a source of unusually common sense if not wisdom.

Comment by Samuel Gaines — November 30, 2017 @ 9:49 am - November 30, 2017

7. The Manhattan center of “culture” and ultimate discrimination is busy eating its own and I say: Let them.

Matt Lauer with a door locking button on his desk to help him chase women around this office is comedy gold.

Prairie Home Companion intoner, Garrison Keillor, turns out to be just another Svengali come to mesmerize the willing.

Teddy Kennedy drowned a chick and survived it using the tools of amorality and big sleaze. He drank the nectar of the gods, Zeitgeist Moxie, and skated. Ditto Bill Clinton and the Clintoon Crime Foundation.

Now there is open amorality and nowhere to hide. How cool is that? The Noo Yawk Zeitgeist Zipper is wide open and the “twittering” class is all atwitter.

Meanwhile, the serious among us are busy watching this cultural train wreck and counting the cars.

Comment by Heliotrope — November 30, 2017 @ 10:12 am - November 30, 2017

8. AS the Misogynist Witch Trial hysteria metastasizes I think the standard response for any previously innocuous comment about the fairer sex, their clothing or even their competence should be a variant of Francis Urquhart’s famous arched-comment;

Is this sweater ok?
    Do these jeans make me look fat?
    Do you like my shoes?
    I’d like to join the new office project-team.
    Join me for lunch…

…You might think that, I couldn’t possibly comment.

Comment by Ted B. (Charging Rhino) — November 30, 2017 @ 2:27 pm - November 30, 2017

9. “…a feminist college professor. She made the claim that for women all penetration sex was rape.”

Andrea Dworkin