Hollywood Morals

Posted by V the K at 11:39 am - December 5, 2017.
Filed under: Big Hollywood

The LA Film Critics’ Picture of the Year is about an adult gay man’s sexual relationship with a teenager.

The group of America’s top film critics met Sunday to vote on their annual rankings. Their top pick was “Call Me By Your Name,” which follows a 17-year-old Italian boy who develops a sexual relationship with his father’s 24-year-old American intern. Directed by Luca Guadagnino, the movie is a film adaptation of André Aciman’s romantic novel of the same name. It has been hailed as “an erotic triumph” by the New York Post, “a romantic marvel” by The Atlantic, and “a gorgeous gay love story” in The Guardian.

If Hollywood is trying to redeem its image after the Weinstein-Spacey cases, this is probably not the best way to do it.

I wonder how the child rapist Victor Salva is doing these days. Still finding work, I trust.

40 Comments »

1. Here’s a funny story about a Democrat politician in Massachusetts, Stan Rosenburg whos almost 70 and his 30 yo husband Byron Hefner who looks like pee wee herman. Heffner was accused of sexual harassment causing his husband Rosenberg to take a leave of absence.

More here:

Comment by Pawfurbehr — December 5, 2017 @ 12:22 pm - December 5, 2017

2. So, there is Oscar buzz around a new film about a man having sex with a teenage boy (I kid you not – even Rex Reed was clutching his pearls over it).

But now, back to attacking that pervert Roy Moore!

Hypocrisy, thy name is liberalism.

Regards,
    Peter H.

Comment by Peter Hughes — December 5, 2017 @ 12:33 pm - December 5, 2017

3. I actually have read the book. I have a theory that we are not supposed to read any of the events of the book as actually happening. I interpreted every character to have been the same person inside the 17 year old who was coming of age and reconciling who he was within himself. Reconciling being gay and becoming sexual and being wise beyond his years and still being a child and becoming a young adult, blah blah blah…I suppose I could have been compensating or over-interpreting in order not to have to think too much at the pederast relationship happening in it.

Comment by TADFORD — December 5, 2017 @ 1:23 pm - December 5, 2017

4. Please. Age of consent is an arbitrary legal construct ranging from 13 to 20 over the world; I think
    We can all agree having sex with a prepubertal child is clearly child abuse; having a consential relationship with a post pubertal sexually developed person is not; it’s only the legal artifice which dictates. In this book from which the movie was taken the 17 year old young man absolutely pursued the 24 year man. I am sick of people being accused of child abuse when it’ only an arbitrary legal boundary. However, an older individual using his authority or influence to dominate a younger person is morally reprehensible. Such as the case of James Levine who used his influence as conductor to overpower the young man who hoped to be noticed artistically. In this film the older guy is 24 for heavens sake. Not some old fart preying on young men. So yes let’s see this film what it is not through the prudish lens of American fake morality. Age of consent in Italy is 16. So by law these were two consenting people of age. It’s not poor little billy whose molested by some creep in the back of his pickup. Read the book. 17 year old was the planner and orchestrator of the relatiinshop. Thank you. A Gay Conservative

Comment by James H Smit,MD — December 5, 2017 @ 1:29 pm - December 5, 2017

5. The 17-24 dynamic doesn’t bother me much in real-life, though I still might not approve. There’s mature-at-17 and still-a-kid at 21.* I think part of the bruhaha seems from the actual age of the actors (21 and 31), and that Timothée Chalamet looks 15, and Armie Hammer could just as easily past for his late 30s or even 40. It visually exaggerates the age difference. Casting two different actors with less of a visual-age difference would have changed the completion of the film entirely.

Like that wretched Liberace bio-pic with Michael Douglas (age 68 at the time) and Matt Damon (age 43) portraying Liberace (age 54) and Scott Thorson (age 17!!). Damon at the time could almost have portrayed Liberace, and it would have been more entertaining…

It like all those great WW2 movies we grew-up on where the lead actors were all 15-30 years too-old for their roles.

[ * – When I was 19 working summer in college, some of my co-workers thought I was in my late twenties. And I NEVER got carded…]

Comment by Ted B. (Charging Rhino) — December 5, 2017 @ 2:36 pm - December 5, 2017

6. Err…

… Casting two different actors with less of a visual-age difference would have changed the complexion of the film entirely.

Darn spell-check keyboard…

Comment by Ted B. (Charging Rhino) — December 5, 2017 @ 2:39 pm - December 5, 2017

7. Hi V the K,

I called this back in June. Predictable.

How old was your husband when you first met him, btw?

Also, I’ve seen the film. Have you? Yeah, that’s what I thought.

Cheers,
    CCP

Comment by CrayCrayPatriot — December 5, 2017 @ 4:49 pm - December 5, 2017

8. @ James H Smit, MD: I would think a physician would know that brains do not finish developing until early-mid 20s. So you’re all in favor of teenagers who say they want to have sex having it with whomever they want to? Are black-out drunk people who say they want to have sex able to have sex?

Comment by Sean L — December 5, 2017 @ 6:00 pm - December 5, 2017

9. The kid who does our yard work turned eighteen last week; guess I missed my chance to be one of the cool, gay pederasts. Oh, well.

Comment by V the K — December 5, 2017 @ 6:42 pm - December 5, 2017

10. Hey CCP,

Is the peach scene in the movie?

Comment by TADFORD — December 5, 2017 @ 8:02 pm - December 5, 2017

11. Hi TADFORD,

Cheers,
    CCP

Comment by CrayCrayPatriot — December 5, 2017 @ 9:51 pm - December 5, 2017

12. I don’t have a problem with 17 and 24. 17 and 40, yes.

Comment by Ignatius — December 5, 2017 @ 9:53 pm - December 5, 2017

13. Hi Ignatius,

I don’t have a problem with 17 and 24. 17 and 40, yes.

I agree. I wonder if V the K does? Well, we know he has just cast dispersion on 17/24. But, 17/40. That may be more his style.

Cheers,
    CCP

Comment by CrayCrayPatriot — December 5, 2017 @ 10:24 pm - December 5, 2017

14. Once again, it seems funny that CrayCray is trying this line of attack, given that CrayCray refuses to condemn Democrat and gay leader Harvey Milk for dating and having sex with 16-year-old Jack Galen McKinley when Milk was 33 years old — while shrieking that dating a 17-year-old is “pedophilia”. Same with such gay luminaries as Allen Ginsberg and Harry Hay, both heroes of the LGBT movement who proudly proclaimed their affiliation with NAMBLA and who are celebrated in numerous gay museums and monuments.

But again, as previously noted, CrayCray is merely confirming that leftists and liberals are mentally, morally and emotionally inferior and are incapable of basic restraint, even to the point of what CrayCray deems “pedophilia”. Once you realize that CrayCray operates under the premise that it is impossible for gays and lesbians to avoid having sex with children, his flailing about becomes comprehensible.

Comment by North Dallas Thirty — December 5, 2017 @ 11:53 pm - December 5, 2017

15. You have to love the selective outrage of the Gay Left in the Republican and Democrat Party that advocate for the legalization of paedophilia/ephebophilia while they ignore sexual harassment laws which address their behavior in the public and private sector. Fortunately, the majority chose to reject the secular humanism/cultural marxism of the 2%er marxist professional homosexual/bisexual/GID population in November 2016 in favor of adherence of the COTUS, the Bill of Rights and the rule of law.

Comment by rjligier — December 6, 2017 @ 12:14 am - December 6, 2017

16. @15 “in favor of adherence TO”

Comment by rjligier — December 6, 2017 @ 12:15 am - December 6, 2017

17. Hi Helio,

Ever wonder about the age difference between V the K and his childbride? Nah. You’ll just turn the other way like with Roy Moore.

People groom children as well.

Cheers,
    CCP

Comment by CrayCrayPatriot — December 6, 2017 @ 12:27 am - December 6, 2017

18. @17. Sorry, that should read “Hi ND30.” I get those two mixed up.

Comment by CrayCrayPatriot — December 6, 2017 @ 12:28 am - December 6, 2017

19. @ Ignatius: Really think about that statement. So you’re saying that you’re okay with a high school junior getting it on with a second-year grad student, but not his history teacher.

@ CrayCrayPatriot: You’ve squandered whatever good will I’ve ever had towards you, congratulations. Either provide evidence that V the K was at any point in a relationship with an underage individual, or shut up and leave this site.

Comment by Sean L — December 6, 2017 @ 6:01 am - December 6, 2017

20. Hi Sean L,

I’m sorry I’ve squandered the good will I had with you. There are 23 years between V the K and his partner, whom he married. He’s 27. And it’s not like they’ve just met.

And, you’ve never posed this challenge to ND30, The_LiveWire, or anyone else on here who have accused other posters of saying much more vile things. I’m not sure why.

And, it sounds like I’m the only f*cking person in this thread who has seen this film in question. Glad we can continue to comment on things we don’t know sh!t about.

Cheers,
    CCP

Comment by CrayCrayPatriot — December 6, 2017 @ 6:52 am - December 6, 2017

21. A dog with grumpy resting face:

Soldiers and their dogs reunited

OK, back to your bickering.

Comment by apple betty — December 6, 2017 @ 8:04 am - December 6, 2017

22. Aww look, Vince is still peddling lies.

Comment by The_Livewire — December 6, 2017 @ 8:40 am - December 6, 2017

23. Hi Matt,

I believe lies are your specialty. Your other superpower is gas-lighting.

Cheers,
    CCP

Comment by CrayCrayPatriot — December 6, 2017 @ 8:47 am - December 6, 2017

24. #23 – So tell me, al-Cray-da: have you not yet apologized for diddling one of our commenters against his will?

Regards,
    Peter H.

Comment by Peter Hughes — December 6, 2017 @ 10:19 am - December 6, 2017

25. Wow…..all I can say is that Christmas came early this year.

There are 23 years between V the K and his partner, whom he married. He’s 27.

Comment by CrayCrayPatriot — December 6, 2017 @ 6:52 am – December 6, 2017

So we now have CrayCray/Piss Cas on record screaming that having a relationship with a 27-year-old — who doesn’t even count as a child for Obamacare purposes — is “pedophilia”.

While CrayCray/Piss Cas flatly REFUSES to say that having a relationship and sex with a 16-year-old, as LGBT and Democrat hero Harvey Milk did at age 33, is “pedophilia”.

As always, CrayCray/Piss Cas provides us an insight into what counts as the “mind” of a liberal, in which “pedophilia”, like “racist”, “sexist”, “white nationalist”, and “Nazi”, carries no fixed, solid or consistent definition and simply is an epithet used to smear and manipulate opponents. You get called a “pedophile” simply because CrayCray and Piss Cas think it will spur you into doing what they say. It doesn’t have anything to do with your views on other races or on peoples’ gender; it’s simply the primal scream of a liberal who isn’t getting their way.

The reason Hillary lost is because SHE tried the CrayCray/Piss Cas approach, screaming that anyone who didn’t vote her way was a stupid ignorant inbred Nazi racist homophobic hick “deplorable”. And the public looked at themselves and said, “No we’re not. And the fact that you said that shows not only that we can’t trust you to tell the truth, but that you actively hate us unless we do what you say.”

And as Trump knows and is showing quite well, the way to capitalize on this particular weakness of liberals is to enrage them. Liberals have very little self-control or rational thought in the first place, and it’s quite easy to whip them into a lather by ignoring their words — or even better, actively mocking them. CrayCray/Piss Cas was so angry he wasn’t thinking how silly it would be to assert that having a relationship with a 27-year-old is pedophilia when he couldn’t say that having one with a 16-year-old was; he simply needed to lash out and attack V the K by any means possible, and as does a spoiled and malicious child, he did. Hence Trump does the same thing, Tweeting something that drives the press and the Democrat Party into such a howling frenzy that they don’t notice the rake on which they’re about to step.

The reason CrayCray and Piss Cas are becoming ever more shrill is because they see they’re losing their power to manipulate. Before, Helio and Sean L, being decent people, thought that they might actually be decent people underneath. Now that the mask has been ripped away, that’s no longer the case.

Comment by North Dallas Thirty — December 6, 2017 @ 10:24 am - December 6, 2017

26. It is fine with me if CrayCray is obsessively outraged at V the K for having a gay marriage which does not meet the CrayCray standards. Let CrayCray spin himself blind and unconscious in his petty rage.

Every time CrayCray gives us a peep at his internal moral compass, it shows that his needle points to magnetic moonbat lunacy. Typical Progressive who marches to the beat of his own raging snare drum. Someone needs to take CrayCray out and hose him down.

Comment by Heliotrope — December 6, 2017 @ 11:28 am - December 6, 2017

27. By CrayCray’s logic, I cannot say that A Serbian Film is a disgusting film that buries whatever point it is trying to make beneath depictions of acts too disgusting to speak of unless I actually watch it.

About V’s hubby, CrayCray seems to think that our standard for labeling something pedophilia is a big age difference: “If you think 33-year-old Harvey Milk was a pedophile for getting it on with a teenager half his age, why isn’t V the K for having a husband who is almost half his age?” Our problem isn’t the age difference- hell, I’ve been with guys who were well over twice my age. I personally would never pursue a (long-term) relationship with somebody in their 20s if I was in my 40s/50s and vice versa, but that’s me. I only care if V and his husband started getting intimate before he turned 18. Our problem is with grown-ass men thinking that teenagers- even the potential handful of precocious ones who by some miracle really are mature enough to understand the risks and responsibilities of being sexually active- are fair game.

I am 24 and change when I met my current boyfriend, who was a month and change shy of 19. I told him that I was willing to talk and be friends, but nothing more until he turned 19; I figured that if he was just interested in sexting or a hook-up, he would promptly lose interest and move on to someone else. But he didn’t, and we’ve been together for 9 months now. Some people might think it strange, but nobody can deny that we were both adult men when we decided to try our relationship for real. And as we both age, the age difference will become less significant in the grand scheme of things.

Comment by Sean L — December 6, 2017 @ 2:50 pm - December 6, 2017

28. So in conclusion: did V put the moves on his husband before said husband was legally and adult? If yes, than V is gross. If not, then you can buzz off to the Daily Kos, CrayCray.

FWIW, I wasn’t the one who initiated pursuit.

Comment by V the K — December 6, 2017 @ 5:37 pm - December 6, 2017

29. @ V the K: Well that’s fine- provided he was 18 or over when you guys started.

Comment by Sean L — December 6, 2017 @ 9:22 pm - December 6, 2017

30. Sean L, I have never since becoming an adult dated, pursued, hooked up with, or otherwise done anything sexually inappropriate with anyone under the age of 18. Full stop.

It genuinely offends me that anyone would buy into Vince’s insinuations, given his history here.

Comment by V the K — December 6, 2017 @ 10:43 pm - December 6, 2017

31. @ Ignatius: Really think about that statement. So you’re saying that you’re okay with a high school junior getting it on with a second-year grad student, but not his history teacher.

Sean L, I don’t need to be told by you to ‘really think about’ anything. I have a mind of my own and have thought about the many issues presented at this and other blogs and have come to my own conclusions. All by myself. Yep, hard to believe, isn’t it?

Secondly, my statement about a relationship between a 17 year-old and a 24 year-old was intended as a theoretical conclusion. Every relationship is as different as the individuals involved. In other words, I don’t have a problem with 17 and 24 in theory. Now, do I have a problem with a 17 year-old predator and a 24 year-old who is mentally handicapped? Yes, I do. Do I have a problem with a high school junior and a grad student? That depends upon the two students involved. I was 16 when I was a high school junior. There were students in my junior classes who were 18. Is there some magical process that happens at, say, 18 years of age that somehow (in your mind) removes every single possible misgiving re. a relationship with someone older? My father was 7 years older than my mother. They remained married their entire lives and were (to my knowledge and I have no reason to doubt either), yes, faithful. Should they not have been involved at all because someone like you disapproves?
    And you may find this mind-blowing but a relationship doesn’t necessary involve ‘getting it on.’ You may want to really think about that.

Comment by Ignatius — December 6, 2017 @ 11:12 pm - December 6, 2017

32. CCP is probably not dating much, so he is angry that others have a boyfriend/partner/husband. If he would just calm down, perhaps other gay men would be willing to go out on a date with CCP.

Comment by davinci38 — December 7, 2017 @ 7:29 am - December 7, 2017

33. @ 32, gay men like him don’t get much action. They’re constantly jealous and bitter of what everyone has and have a hard time attracting anyone.

Comment by Pawfurbehr — December 7, 2017 @ 8:02 am - December 7, 2017

34. IDK why CCCP doesn’t just date trans-men. After all, they are really men if they say so, even if they have tits and don’t have tallywhackers.

Comment by V the K — December 7, 2017 @ 8:28 am - December 7, 2017

35. @ V the K: I did not buy in to Vince’s accusations. I had serious doubts that you two had been together long enough for there to be any truth to it. The reason I pressed the issue is I thought it would be best if, for posterity’s sake, there was a clear definitive refutation of his libel and he was unable to use it against you any more. I’m sorry if I upset you in the course of obtaining it.

@ Ignatius: I’m sorry for upsetting you. It’s simply that, when you said that you were theoretically okay with 17 and 24 year olds, being 24 myself, I winced because I’m personally not okay with it. A certainly didn’t mean to imply that I disapproved of your parents’ relationship; I’m not getting into whether or not my 2017 sensibilities about dating can/should be applied to people who were around over 50 years ago. Simply put, as a 24-year-old man, I was expressing discomfort with the hypothetical scenario you were presenting.

Comment by Sean L — December 7, 2017 @ 8:33 am - December 7, 2017

36. Sean L, this is a sore point for me. I’ve raised three sons out of foster care. And the neighborhood kid I mentioned earlier I’ve spent a lot of time clearing brush with, cutting wood, digging up rocks and such. I’ve never had a sexual thought about him. My partner was watching us one day when we were fixing a disgruntled chainsaw and mentioned he never got to see me act like a dad until then, and I was touched by that.

It’s because of my experiences raising and mentoring teenage boys that I have a sore spot about people who treat teenagers as sex objects. Vince knows this is a sore spot with me, so he pokes at it. Because he is a nasty little troll who cannot engage intelligently on issues; so he uses catty attacks to try and get under my skin.

Comment by V the K — December 7, 2017 @ 8:58 am - December 7, 2017

37. I’m sorry for upsetting you. It’s simply that, when you said that you were theoretically okay with 17 and 24 year olds, being 24 myself, I winced because I’m personally not okay with it.

You didn’t upset me. In your zeal to find fault with what I wrote, you didn’t consider what I meant.

One of the problems with any legal system is that laws such as those pertaining to age of consent cannot possibly address every possible scenario to everyone’s complete satisfaction. I believe that most laws — particularly those governing behavior — should be and remain general in nature. There are lots of possible permutations of a relationship involving a 17 year-old and a 24 year-old which both of us would undoubtedly find objectionable but that doesn’t mean that we should craft laws preventing all objectionable relationships.

In my state, 16 is the age of consent. In some cases, that’s probably too low. In some cases it might be a little high. For most cases, that’s possibly about right. I’m not sure and could never be sure re. all relationships in my state. From what I know (and remember) of 16 year-olds, I consider that a little low. But teens are far more sexually aware than they were when I was one, they’re aware of a great deal more generally (the Internet and other media), and they’re physically maturing at younger ages. I reached puberty at 11. Now it’s fairly normal for boys to reach puberty at 10 or even 9. Perhaps this has something to do with diet, I’m not sure. That doesn’t mean they’re intellectually/emotionally/spiritually aware at these younger ages but they are dealing with sexuality earlier than when I was a kid.

Still, laws must at the very least protect the vulnerable and we need them, children especially.

Comment by Ignatius — December 7, 2017 @ 12:56 pm - December 7, 2017

38. It seems an absurdity that 16 year olds who are viewed by the law as incapable of having enough capacity to decide for themselves drink alcohol, smoke, work without a permit, or even see an “adult” movie are regarded as fully capable of deciding to have sex with adults of any age.

Comment by V the K — December 7, 2017 @ 1:17 pm - December 7, 2017

39. In Alabama, the age of consent for sexual intercourse is 16. Generally, a person over the age of 16 can consent to sex with anyone else who is over the age of 16.

But hey that’s Alabama.

Then there are those yout’s that like their chase with DILF’s.

Comment by rusty — December 7, 2017 @ 1:39 pm - December 7, 2017

40. @ Ignatius: I can understand arguments for 16-20 year olds being in relationships, and I’m a lot more lenient for, say, a couple who are respectively 17 and 19/20. Generally, if one partner is legally underage and the other partner is of age, but they’re both old enough to be in high school together or have been in high school together, I’m willing to entertain the argument. And I think that’s what Romeo and Juliet laws should be for. Adults fresh out of childhood still act and think like children, they aren’t going to automatically going to stop being attracted to their peers now that they have passed a particular age. However, much past 20, I think most people are going to start favoring their college-age peers.

Yes, any age being designated as “old enough to have intercourse” is going to be arbitrary. But unfortunately, laws can’t be tailor made for every situation. So I think that the correct course of action is to have an age, and then 2-3 years of lenience on either side of it.

And yes, you are correct that children are hitting puberty faster. Biologically, all resources that are not consumed by metabolism are allocated to either growing the body, or reproduction. A thousand years ago- heck, even 60-70 years ago- the body wasn’t developed enough to start prepping for the *ahem* biological imperative until about 13-17. This is why human sexuality wasn’t taught until high school. But now with advances in nutrition, the body is able to fly through development in record time, and hits the trigger for puberty much earlier as a consequence. I myself hit puberty some time in grade school, under rather embarrassing circumstances. The human body is developing a heck of a lot faster than the mind is nowadays.

@ V the K: I knew you had raised foster kids, but I wasn’t aware that this is a button that Vince frequently pushes. So I’m now even more annoyed that I ever gave him the benefit of the doubt. That you haven’t banned him from the site is a testament to your patience.

Comment by Sean L — December 7, 2017 @ 2:21 pm - December 7, 2017