Today’s Petty Leftist Hissy Fit

Posted by V the K at 10:47 am - December 11, 2017.
Filed under: Unhinged Liberals

Some on the left are perturbed because PDT’s announcement recognizing Jerusalem as Israel’s capital used the “AD” (“In the year of Our Lord”) formulation instead of the politically correct “CE” (Current Era) formulation. I am not making this up.

On a semi-related note, isn’t Ambassador Nikki Haley doing an awesome job? Would not mind  to see her as the first woman president.

1. Nikki Haley would definitely be an improvement over the Faux’cahontas. Definitely a rising star within the Party.

Comment by Ted B. (Charging Rhino) — December 11, 2017 @ 11:31 am - December 11, 2017

2. I find the change to ce and ace to be asinine and bad history anyway, and I’m not a Christian. What major event happened in year 0 which be significant enough to order our calender arround, besides the religious one? If there is a case of actual cultural appropriation, its swiping a whole idea without adaptation and then changing the name because you hate the culture it came from.

Comment by Karen — December 11, 2017 @ 12:13 pm - December 11, 2017

3. Nikki Haley in 2024? YOU BET!

Regards,
    Peter H.

Comment by Peter Hughes — December 11, 2017 @ 12:48 pm - December 11, 2017

4. Yes I’m very happy with are you an ambassador, she’s very tactful and knows just exactly what to say. I would assume that many are looking towards her as the first female president of the United States of America.

Comment by Hanover — December 11, 2017 @ 12:49 pm - December 11, 2017

5. I was hopeful that she would make Veep in ’16, but then she went all Never Trumpy in public and I thought she was done.

I’m glad to see her flying level and this one is a rising star to watch.

Comment by Sathar — December 11, 2017 @ 1:11 pm - December 11, 2017

6. ‘HellNorway’ on Instapundit had a very cogent-point about “that list”;

“If American Women are so outraged at Trump’s use of naughty words, Who in the Hell bought 80-million copies of Shades of Grey“?

Ten-points awarded to Gryffindor!!

Comment by Ted B. (Charging Rhino) — December 11, 2017 @ 3:09 pm - December 11, 2017

7. The next big promise from a presidential candidate should be to kick the UN out of the US.

If it were only useless, we could stand to have it here – it’s probably good for the tourist trade.

But the UN is dominated by some of the worst people in the world. It’s corrupt and about everything it touches turns to poo. The WHO has some use but that’s easily spun off.

I’ve always wondered what people suffering, oh, the occasional genocide here and there, must think upon hearing that the UN is going to have a meeting about it. Or about hearing that “peace keepers” were coming.

What might be useful is an alliance of the Anglosphere (US, UK, Australia, etc) and other interested nations with some history of doing instead of talking about it. Of course, that was the old west. Not sure if the new west could get it together.

Comment by KCRob — December 11, 2017 @ 6:49 pm - December 11, 2017

8. Oh, as someone not religious, I prefer AD and BC because of the historical significance.

There’s no good reason to flush historical conventions like this down the memory hole. It’s a newspeak attack on language.

Comment by KCRob — December 11, 2017 @ 6:51 pm - December 11, 2017

9. ARSH = Anno Reparatae Salutis Humanae = “In the Year of the Reparation of Human Salvation.”

Comment by apple betty — December 11, 2017 @ 7:24 pm - December 11, 2017

10. Christian Era is not accurate as Christians were a tiny persecuted minority for few centuries.
    I suppose you could change it to Christian Calender, but that’s going to end up on the hamster wheel of “negro”, no wait, “colors”, no wait “black” no, “African American”…

Comment by Karen — December 11, 2017 @ 10:12 pm - December 11, 2017

11. I was hoping for a while that Condoleeza Rice would be our first woman President. Smart, articulate, accomplished, and patient.

I first encountered CE in the novel “The Source”, in which the main modern character chose CE so as not to offend his host country of Israel. I find CE fussy, but otherwise inoffensive. AD is common enough, and few enough people know what it actually means, to avoid using it.

Comment by TheQuietMan — December 11, 2017 @ 10:54 pm - December 11, 2017

12. Hi V the K,
    Yes, I think that Nikki Haley for President is a real possibility, especially since she suggests that women who have come forward to accuse DT of sexual misconduct and assault should be treated as follows: “we should all be willing to listen to them.”. That is a smart piece of political positioning for when Trump is gone.

Comment by Cas — December 12, 2017 @ 12:54 am - December 12, 2017

13. There’s always the Holocene Year calendar which basicly adds the digit-1 to the AD/CE year-date, based on the premise that all “human history” has been during the last 12,000 years. It lends a nice scifi tone;

“A beginning is a very delicate time. Know then, that it is the year 12017. The known universe is ruled by the Padisha Emperor Donald the Trump. In this time, the most precious substance in the Universe is the spice moral outrage. The spice extends life. The spice expands consciousness. The spice is vital to partisan politics. Oh, yes. I forgot to tell you. The spice exists on only one planet in the entire universe. A desolate, dry planet with vast deserts. Hidden away within the rocks of these deserts are a people known as the Republicans, who have long held a prophecy that a man would come, a messiah, who would lead them to true freedom. The planet is Terra, also known as Dune.”
    – difficulties in translation.

Comment by Ted Bunker (Charging Rhino) — December 12, 2017 @ 1:22 am - December 12, 2017

14. “I must not fear.
    Fear is the mind-killer.
    Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
    I will face my fear.
    I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
    And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
    Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.”
    Paul Atreides (AKA Donald Trump)

Comment by Rex — December 12, 2017 @ 12:53 pm - December 12, 2017

15. How about Nikki Haley in 2020? I voted for Trump, but only because the alternative was a lot worse.

Comment by Larry — December 12, 2017 @ 6:10 pm - December 12, 2017

16. @Cas – sure, I’ll listen. But I’m not obligated to believe them.

Mattress girl, the Duke Lacrosse team, a recent case in the UK that caused a young man to kill himself are too recent for me to take all these stories at face value. Unless you’re Bill Clinton, these accusations are life-changing events – even when false.

Add to that the term “sexual assault” which is defined as anything from rape-rape (tm Whoopi Goldberg) to an unwanted pat of the bottom to asking for a date – twice.

Comment by KCRob — December 12, 2017 @ 6:48 pm - December 12, 2017

17. Hi KCRob,
    Listening is a good start. Questioning is an ongoing process; asking the accused to account for their behaviour that is mentioned is also part of it; letting someone say they are “all lying” and letting that be the end of it–not OK.

Comment by Cas — December 12, 2017 @ 7:58 pm - December 12, 2017

18. Hi apple betty,

ARSH is religious; AD is too. Christian Era is accurate; Common Era is not, because eras like the Christian Era are anything but common. AD or ARSH don’t offend me; I’m happy to hear them. I’m grateful to be living in the civilization that Christians built.

Yes, but these terms can offend those who are not Christian because they privilege a way of understanding the world that they a) don’t accept religiously or secularly, or b) they got on the sharp end of some nasty Christian civilization imperialism, or c) it ignores their own sensibilities as to the proper modality of time, or … well you get the point. As a Christian, you feel OK with it. Not everybody agrees with that…

Comment by Cas — December 12, 2017 @ 8:03 pm - December 12, 2017