Meh.

The father of a dead lesbian is claiming that Roy Moore caused her suicide because of his “homophobic comments.” (Warning, stupid obnoxious autoplay).

I don’t really believe anyone commits suicide because some politician holds a negative opinion of them. If they do, that’s sort of on them.

If Roy Moore wins, I don’t think it’s because voters like him. I think, frankly, it’s a reflection of how much people really hate Democrats and the Democrat Media.  Frankly, Democrats and the media elite have sneered so often at middle America, and especially the southeastern quadrant, that they have earned the enmity.  Roy Moore may be a taint on southern values, but Doug Jones will wage unrelenting on them.

1. The man stated right there in his little speech that he contributed to his daughter’s feelings about herself. She was taught by him that gay was wrong and she didn’t want to be gay. It’s most likely for those reasons that she killed herself, since she likely figured everyone would be better off, including herself, if she didn’t exist as something she couldn’t change, no matter how hard she tried. He didn’t directly blame Roy Moore for this. He simply stated that Roy Moore was the “prevert” and shouldn’t be elected, not his daughter. The title of the article and your commentary kinda misrepresent that.

Comment by TADFORD — December 12, 2017 @ 9:14 am - December 12, 2017

2. On CNN, the story was presented exactly how I characterized it:

Comment by V the K — December 12, 2017 @ 9:28 am - December 12, 2017

3. @2 sourcing from CNN is really dicey as they appear to be playing loosey goosey with the truth and news almost continually now. My dog is a better news reporter than CNN. At least when he reports there is something in the back yard there is pretty much something in the back yard.

Comment by Sandra — December 12, 2017 @ 10:05 am - December 12, 2017

4. I am not negating your claim, V the K…I was just pointing something out.

Comment by TADFORD — December 12, 2017 @ 12:09 pm - December 12, 2017

5. This seems like a lose-lose situation to me. Neither one of these guys seems like a very good choice to represent the people of any state. Moore is just too theocratic and the other guy is just too much of the new Democratic Socialist party.Were I a voter in Alabama I would really be wavering between Moore and sitting this one out. Maybe vote for Moore, let the senate evict him and get a new election with a new slate??? On the other hand who wants to give ol’ Mitch the satisfaction of tossing him? Just don’t know what I’d do with this election if I had any say.

Comment by Rex — December 12, 2017 @ 12:40 pm - December 12, 2017

6. If I were an Alabama voter, like Rex (#5), I would have the same the same decision. Jones would indeed attack many things I consider important in a properly running society. Moore has had (I’ve been told by a reliable source) a kind of seedy reputation re young women. But, the timing of the main accusation that got this started is just too convenient for the dems and too otherwise suspect to be innocent. I think I might end up voting for Moore as he’s pretty much boxed in in his actions, and it’s a special election, so he may not necessarily be in there that long if he does prove to have earned his reputation.

On the troubled lesbian, I can’t imagine that she thought that much about what any judge or politician thought unless she actually knew him and thought highly of him. Poor woman to be in that much distress.

(Hmm. It must be Christmas time–I’m not usually this charitable.)

Comment by TheQuietMan — December 12, 2017 @ 2:15 pm - December 12, 2017

7. Experts who actually spend time studying the problem of suicide rather than advocating for a particular group of people, have put forth a list of the most common contributing factors in suicide:

1) Personal mental problems and/or substance abuse.
    2) Immediate family situation, including abuse, divorce, and stress.

Those who count for the vast majority of cases. Bullying didn’t even make the top five.

I see the problem of suicide like a car rolling down a hill and crashing into a tree.

Personal mental problems or substance abuse is like having faulty brakes.

Family situation is like a negligent owner who does not maintain the brakes or forgets to put the car in park and/or set the parking brake.

Bullying is like pushing on the car.

If the brakes are faulty or the parking break is not set, you don’t even have to push to have the car roll down the hill.

But it he brakes are good, and transmission in Park, and the parking brake is set, no amount of pushing on the car will make it budge an inch.

Comment by Craig Smith — December 12, 2017 @ 8:54 pm - December 12, 2017

8. If I lived in Alabama, I would probably just sit this one out.

Comment by Sean L — December 12, 2017 @ 10:17 pm - December 12, 2017

9. Wonder what kid of tweet storm will follow. . .
    You know he’s fuming!

Comment by rusty — December 12, 2017 @ 10:59 pm - December 12, 2017

10. ‘what kind’

Comment by rusty — December 12, 2017 @ 11:02 pm - December 12, 2017

11. The irony is that if the GOP had stayed with acting-Senator Luthor Strange they would have quietly retained the Alabama seat without any controversy. Jones stood no-chance against Strange in Alabama.

They GOP voters of Alabama brought this upon themselves, and dragged us along. Now the US Senate majority is on a knife-edge.

Comment by Ted Bunker (Charging Rhino) — December 12, 2017 @ 11:42 pm - December 12, 2017

12. I agree with Ted, Strange should have been the candidate.

I like Steve Bannon, but this was a miscalculation on his part and he should have stayed out of it from the beginning.

Comment by Hanover — December 13, 2017 @ 8:07 am - December 13, 2017

13. It looks to me as though famous “political consultants” like Donna Brasile and Steve Bannon are better at self promotion than getting their candidates elected.

Any bets as to whether the accusations against Moore fade away like the false accusation of non payment of taxes against Romney by Harry Reid (spit)?

Comment by TheQuietMan — December 13, 2017 @ 9:20 am - December 13, 2017

14. #13, TheQuietMan, Steve Bannon isn’t known for self-promotion, he promotes constitutional values. He made a mistake, the Republican establishment also made big mistakes. This isn’t a big crisis but it’s not good for now.

Comment by Hanover — December 13, 2017 @ 9:41 am - December 13, 2017

15. Bannon made more than a mistake, his support for Moore was a major blunder from the start. Bannon wanted to be seen as a kingmaker-without-Trump, …and grandstanded the entire Moore candidacy, supporting a man who was thrown-off the Alabama Supreme Court twice. Pres. Trump supported acting-Senator Luthor Strange who was a-lock for re-election over Jones. Bannon wanted to show HE was more-influential than Trump to the cheap-seats in the GOP bleachers, and defied the President. Ex-judge Moore had no-business running for the Senate, he should have been rusticated — permanently.

…And now the Alabama Senate seat is lost to the Dhimmicrats at a critical-point in this administration were that crucial-loss will affect pending legislation and the GOP Agenda.

Bannon should pay a steep price for this blunder…

Comment by Ted B. (Charging Rhino) — December 13, 2017 @ 10:23 am - December 13, 2017

16. Sean Agnew
    @seanagnew
    Moore: It’s not over. Where’s my attorney?

Aide: It’s the first night of Hanukkah. He’s unavailable.

Moore: I don’t even know what that means.

Comment by rusty — December 13, 2017 @ 10:34 am - December 13, 2017

17. I agree, number 15 Ted. I think Bannon will indeed pay a price for this, his reduced status and success at the very least. He’s flailing in the wind now. His days of usefulness are over.

Comment by Hanover — December 13, 2017 @ 3:31 pm - December 13, 2017

18. In the Alabama election Roy Moore played the role of Hillary Clinton, too unlikable to vote for.

Bullying may not lead to suicide directly, but in a younger person I can see where it could add to a deteriorating mental health state.

Comment by Deadcenter — December 14, 2017 @ 9:34 am - December 14, 2017

19. In the Alabama election Roy Moore played the role of Hillary Clinton, too unlikable to vote for.

Yup, this is what I was thinking. but it’s more than being unlikable; he also held himself up as the voice of decency and morality, all while being portrayed as being the opposite (like Hillary). He portrayed himself as the victim, particularly of media malfeasance (just like Hillary) and held to a values debate, instead of focusing on issues—again, just like Hillary. Finally, in making a similarly strange post-election appearance, he also refuses to concede and is presuming that outstanding ballots will carry him over the top. He hasn’t gotten to the point of charging election hacking or meddling, but can that be far behind? (Presumably he will also blame that on ‘dark forces’.)

Comment by RSG — December 14, 2017 @ 10:44 am - December 14, 2017