How Will They Ever Survive?

Posted by V the K at 10:23 am - December 14, 2017.
Filed under: American Embarrassments

In order to promote the Democrats’ Universal Single Payer Government-Run Healthcare agenda, CNN ran a sob story about 27 year old Millennials aging out of their parents’ healthcare plans.  Also, those horrible Republicans cut funding to the Democrat-Special Interest Groups that made bank “guiding” people to insurance policies. These poor little children had to figure out their insurance needs all by themselves.

Moniot was preparing to buy an insurance policy of her own, knowing she would age out of her parents’ plan when she turned 26 in October. She asked her parents for help and advice. But they, too, ran into trouble trying to decipher which policy would work best for their daughter. The family had relied on her father’s employer-sponsored plan through his work as an architect for years, so no one had spent much time sifting through policies.

“This is hard! Why can’t the Government fund someone else to do this for me?” – The battle cry of the participation trophy generation.

By age 26, I had been on my own for seven years. I owned my own pick-up, and I had moved 2,300 miles from where I grew up. On my own. It proved to be a terrible mistake, but it was my mistake. I wasn’t insured, but somehow I survived.

26 was also the average age of a World War II combat soldier. In Vietnam, it was 22.

What does it matter, everyone is going to die when “Net Neutrality” ends anyway.

1. This is so ridiculous. When I was 26, I didn’t have health insurance and paid for every medical office visit myself (and still do, several decades later). I thought I hit the jackpot when I transferred to a state-run university with a honest-to-God student health service which I could use for free (or at least the cost of registration).

Fortunately, I never played football or skied or engaged in activities which can be hazardous to one’s health and have other been otherwise quite lucky. Still, health insurance when you’re 26 can be a luxury which one can easily forego. How much does anyone want to bet that most of these can’t-cope-with-no-automatic-insurance peeps don’t have any savings to speak of and can’t cover an unexpected emergency without resorting to funding via credit cards or a loan from the Bank Of Mom & Dad?

Comment by RSG — December 14, 2017 @ 11:18 am - December 14, 2017

2. #1 – RSG, I got my first “big” job at 23 and got good insurance. Plus, I never asked the parents for a handout and bought my first condo at age 25.

If you recall, Dhimmicrats assured us that all we’d have to do is take advantage one of the affordable and comprehensive plans available on the Obamacare marketplace. However, if you read the article that V the K linked, you won’t be shocked to discover that President Trump is blamed for everything going wrong.

I don’t recall the media doing a whole lot of concern pieces about challenges faced by all the victims of President “if you like your plan you can keep it” SnObama. Do you?

Yeah, me neither.

Peter H.

Comment by Peter Hughes — December 14, 2017 @ 11:36 am - December 14, 2017

3. And naturally, the upshot of this is that her parent’s plan is so easy because he only has the one choice offered by his employer.

Comment by Karen — December 14, 2017 @ 11:46 am - December 14, 2017

4. From a song that was popular in 1985, I thought the average age of a Vietnam Soldier was, “19….Nin,Nin,Nin,Nin,Nin…Nineteen.”

Comment by dachs_dude — December 14, 2017 @ 12:19 pm - December 14, 2017

5. When I was 26, I had free health insurance through my employer that was about 16 years ago.

Comment by Pawfurbehr — December 14, 2017 @ 6:00 pm - December 14, 2017

6. Sounds familiar, V the K. At 26, I did not have any health insurance, and I was living all on my own about 1800 miles from where I grew up. For years, I have regarded that 1800-mile move as the single biggest mistake of my life.

Comment by Conservative guy — December 14, 2017 @ 8:07 pm - December 14, 2017

7. I’m surprised CNN didn’t have the third person in the article give helpful tips on how he successfully enrolled all by himself! ;P

Comment by Belong — December 14, 2017 @ 9:05 pm - December 14, 2017

8. When I graduated from college I moved from Chicago to Silicon Valley. My mother said I moved as far away as I could go without getting my feet wet.

By 26 I had bought a 1/2 interest in a house. (You couldn’t afford to buy a house by yourself in the crazy SF Bay Area market – one of the things that pushed me to leave.)

So I had health insurance (via work), a retirement plan, investments outside of my retirement plan, a mortgage …

The move to California wasn’t a mistake in and of itself, it was just never going to be possible to get ahead in the insane market where everything is more expensive than it needed to be. And most people were caught up in the lifestyle. The right car, the right apartment, the right restaurants for dinner,…

Moving back to Chicago was the mistake. I left again several years later.

Comment by Zendo Deb — December 14, 2017 @ 11:07 pm - December 14, 2017

9. “I don’t want to just go out there and apply for health insurance, and it be all kinds of wrong and I can’t afford it,” she said.

In a natural disaster these folks will be among the first to die.

Comment by Niall — December 15, 2017 @ 10:42 am - December 15, 2017

10. I had health insurance since the day I left my parent’s home because my mother was a nurse practitioner, and her only ground rule for my life was that I couldn’t be running the streets without insurance. I always had individual policies, which were affordable and available until the Obamacare era. Even as an idiot 21 year old I could figure out what coverage I needed and where to get it. Buck-up kids…life isn’t that hard! I say that, but the other day at the luxury resort I work at a 20-something guest was just short of tears because heater in one of the hot-tubs wasn’t working. I have no idea how that person deals with real life.

Comment by Wildjavelina — December 15, 2017 @ 11:34 am - December 15, 2017

11. In a natural disaster these folks will be among the first to die.

Thankfully, for the rest of us who will remain behind.

Comment by RSG — December 15, 2017 @ 11:50 am - December 15, 2017

12. Holy crap, these kids today are losers! I graduated from college at age 21 in May, took my nursing boards in July, started working as a graduate nurse in July on middle shift making like $12/hour—got health insurance and enrolled in a pension plan upon my hiring, found out I passed my boards in September which is also when I turned 22 years old, bought a brand new Ford Escort without power steering or A/C which only had a left side mirror and no rear defrost because it was what I could afford (my dad did co-sign my loan). Paid off my student loans before I got married at age 24 (after I moved 3000 miles to the other coast. Hubby and I lived in a small, one bedroom apartment, saved our money so we could buy a house 2 1/2 years after we got married and put 20% down as the down payment (so we didn’t have to get PMI). We made sacrifices and drove reliable but inexpensive cars (Hello Ford Escort 2.0–only that one got power steering, A/C, 2 sideview mirrors and a rear defroster, lol!) We hardly ate out, I clipped coupons, and our vacas were limited to visiting my family on the East Coast once a year. Kids these days want to maintain the same lifestyle they have enjoyed living with their dual income parents. It’s insane. They don’t grow up!

Comment by runningrn — December 15, 2017 @ 7:27 pm - December 15, 2017

13. Obamacare sucks (it really does-it isn’t cheap, it isn’t affordable and in general it’s often hard to find doctors who take the policies).

Obamacare didn’t fix anything g but broke worse the things that weren’t working.

I also fail to see how any of it is Trump’s fault since the democrats won’t let Trump or the GOP fix or better repeal it.

Employer provided plans are easy-usually only one or two choices and the expense is mostly covered by the employer. Obamacare is costly and out of pocket is going to hurt one way or another.

Comment by Just me — December 17, 2017 @ 8:10 am - December 17, 2017