Tax Cut Fallout and Tweets du Jour

Posted by V the K at 8:23 am - December 21, 2017.
Filed under: Random Thoughts

I hope at least a handful of Gaypatriot readers, commenters, and lurkers survived “Tax Cut Armageddon.” The carnage has not been too bad in central Ohio, but I understand the casualties in California and New York will be in the tens of millions.

To add to the carnage, Evil Corporations(TM) like Comcast, Wells-Fargo, and AT&T are using the dreadful Republican tax cuts… to pay their employees more money. Can you believe it? Leftists are dismissing this as a PR stunt. They never dismiss a company announcement of a pro-LGBT policy (which costs companies nothing) as a PR stunt.

But I guess those $1,000 bonuses amount to less than half of the $2,500 people have saved because of Obamacare… oh, wait… Obamacare actually made health care even more expensive. My bad.

Never-Trumper Bill “Thurston Howell IV” Kristol says that for corporations to be handing out raises and bonuses in the wake of tax cut passage is “creepy.”  His dream of instituting a blood aristocracy is deferred once again.

Anyway, the Democrats have now latched onto the talking point that the tax cuts for most people “won’t amount to much.” And, indeed, to the bottom two income quintiles who already pay nothing in income taxes, they naturally won’t be getting to keep as much of their own money as giant corporations who have billions annually confiscated. The difference being, large corporations are in a much better position to add employees and build factories than people in the bottom two income quintiles.  Not to mention, the “won’t amount to much” talking point just shows how out of touch the Democrats are with people who could use an extra $100 a month or so.

By sheer coincidence, the Washington Post’s editorial opinion on the Tax Reform Plan aligns to Democrat Party talking points with the precision of a Swiss Watch.

And then there’s this idiot Boston Globe columnist thinks people should happily surrender more money to the Government, because the Government will use it more “efficiently.”

Wasn’t Boston where they had that ‘Big Dig’ thingie that cost four times as much as initially budgeted and was finished ten years behind schedule? Is that his idea of Government “efficiency?” Was it “efficient” when the Government spent $800,000 to study how African men wash their pee-pees, or $400,000 to study Argentinian gay bars? $22 Million so that Harry Reid’s billionaire buddy can study UFOs?

And finally there’s this from a parody account, but I think sums up the feelings of the Democrat base.

Someone please explain how Trump’s stupid tax cut bill helps people like me that don’t want a job.

1. The president and the Republicans needed the legislative win in order to negate the baggage that all the attacks this past year by the left has left to rot. It also balances out last year’s presidential win.

It’s a psychological Turning Point showing the leftists exactly who’s in power. Their comments after & up until currently have been reduced to Petty sniping. The kind of attacks that people do when they’re completely out of power as we were during the disastrous Obama raging.

Comment by Hanover — December 21, 2017 @ 9:12 am - December 21, 2017

2. The carnage has not been too bad in central Ohio, but I understand the casualties in California and New York will be in the tens of millions.

Here’s a quick report from the ground in the PRNJ, before they trace my signal and the HKs find me:

Personally, thanks the the Divine Providence of the ACA cutting my personal income in half combined with the foresight of not owning a home, the Angel of Tax Cuts has passed me over. I may even come out a few shekels ahead.

Looking outside my door is another story entirely. As far as the eye can seen, the corpses of the fallen litter the streets. I watched the blood red Sun rise not long ago, to shed a cold, pale light across the barren, broken landscape.

I can hear the skittering, they’re getting close now. Continue to Resist, my brothers. Praise Barry!

Comment by Sathar — December 21, 2017 @ 9:53 am - December 21, 2017

3. This tax bill is heavily weighted toward the Make America Great Again through the reinvigoration of capitalism and the results of “the invisible hand” setting the balance.

“The self-interested behavior of people in a marketplace leads to the greater good for all. No need to rely on concerted efforts of government or the church to direct commercial activity. If the proper economic and legal institutions are set up, we can all be made better if simply left to our own devices.” (August 13, 2014-Fortune.)

That smacks the socialist squarely in his face. Socialism/Communism has no “invisible hand” unless you see the Gestapo, KGB, Stasi, etc. that way.

Apple has enormous reserves of cash which it can not bring into the United States without pay 40% of it in taxes. Under the bill waiting to be signed, Apple’s “penalty” will be reduced to giving up 21% of the stash. Whether that will induce Apple to bring the money into the United States and spend it here is impossible to know.

However, a tax cut to a corporation means two things. 1) the tax does not have to be passed through to the consumer by way of the price structure for the goods or services, and 2) the corporation now has surplus capital to invest, pay higher wages, give to the community, raise wages, etc.

All of this is conveniently ignored by socialists. They far prefer a bureaucracy of accountants passing out allowances.

Comment by Heliotrope — December 21, 2017 @ 10:03 am - December 21, 2017

4. Here’s some more rich irony for you:

According to CNBC, Comcast is going to give $1,000 bonuses to more than 100,000 “eligible frontline and non-executive employees” and invest $50 billion over the next five years in infrastructure “based on the passage of tax reform.”

Now here’s the rich part: Comcast is the parent company of the NBC family of networks.

Awkward!

Personally, I can’t wait to see how the State-Run Media manages to spin this story as evidence of more cruelty, death, destruction and “Armageddon” the GOP tax plan hath wrought.

Maybe some MSNBC reporters will donate their bonuses to the DNC in an effort to cleanse themselves of the irony. According to congressional Dhimmicrats, they just got “looted!”

Regards,
    Peter H.

Comment by Peter Hughes — December 21, 2017 @ 10:11 am - December 21, 2017

5. “That governments spend money more efficiently than you do is literally the reason we have governments”

It’s scary that (A) someone actually believes this

(B) has a job “informing” others and

(C) is allowed to vote or breed w/o supervision.

Comment by alanstorm — December 21, 2017 @ 10:14 am - December 21, 2017

6. For socialists, government is the heart and brains of the community. It is where the “best and the brightest” congregate to pave the highway to utopia and eternal wonderfulness.

For Utopia to work, the entire world has to be wrapped into the scheme. So long as a “choice” remains, Utopia is subjected to the pressures stress from without.

Socialists will tell you that socialism has not failed because socialism has never been fully employed. But that begs the question.

Cuba is an island nation with valuable resources. The brothers Castro could have turned it into a tropical island socialist paradise, but they didn’t. Why is that? The U.S. boycotted Cuba, but Cuba had no end of help coming from elsewhere.

Now that Fidel is dead, Raoul has the chance to bring in all the best and brightest socialists from around the world and kick-start Cuba onto the freeway to Utopia. All he need do is call the Nobel prize committee and ask them to round up all their favorite prize winners and send them to Cuba to be the Politburo.

Comment by Heliotrope — December 21, 2017 @ 11:35 am - December 21, 2017

7. There are other survivors??? I haven’t heard anything since the roads disappeared the instant tax reform passed. I have my doors and windows barred, but the Somolian warlords are just outside!

Comment by Karen — December 21, 2017 @ 12:31 pm - December 21, 2017

8. Hanover @ #1 reminded me of my own disgust with Obama and caused me to think about when I really got peeved with him. I think it was after the Styrofoam Greek column psychobabble he let loose after his nomination:

The journey will be difficult. The road will be long. I face this challenge with profound humility, and knowledge of my own limitations. But I also face it with limitless faith in the capacity of the American people. Because if we are willing to work for it, and fight for it, and believe in it, then I am absolutely certain that generations from now, we will be able to look back and tell our children that this was the moment when we began to provide care for the sick and good jobs to the jobless; this was the moment when the rise of the oceans began to slow and our planet began to heal; this was the moment when we ended a war and secured our nation and restored our image as the last, best hope on Earth. This was the moment — this was the time — when we came together to remake this great nation so that it may always reflect our very best selves, and our highest ideals. Thank you, God Bless you, and may God Bless the United States of America.

I had never been struck by any “humility” evidenced by Obama. And I certainly was unaware that Obama thought he had any “limitations” of any sort. Then came the laundry list: care for the sick, jobs for the jobless, reversing the rise of the oceans, healing the planet, ending war, making America the best hope on earth, and bringing Americans together in the common bond of our highest ideals.

Those are largely Messianic messages which ought to make any sentient person sit up and say “what the frack?”

In Trump’s acceptance speech at the Republican convention, he promised to:

“take care of our great Veterans,” reduce taxes, cut regulations, open up energy production, reform one-sided trade agreements, renegotiate NAFTA, kill TPP, end catch-and-release on the border, enforce immigration laws on the books, build a great border wall, stop gang violence, stop drugs pouring into the country, limit who we admit into our country only those who support our values and love our people, work with the State of Israel, work with all of our allies who share our goal of destroying Isis and stamping out Islamic terror, be the Law and Order President, I AM YOUR VOICE, etc. etc. etc.

Compare and contrast, if you will. Trump’s “laundry list” can be seen as just more political posturing. But, we have a “check list” which is specific.

“Hope and Change” vs “Make America Great Again” is the core argument. Line up the Obama successes and the Trump successes. Obama’s list covers 8 years, Trump’s list is short of one year.

Comment by Heliotrope — December 21, 2017 @ 12:42 pm - December 21, 2017

9. I survived here in northeastern Ohio 🙂 . Survived and thriving, and could not be happier. Wells Fargo pulled out of sponsoring the RNC Convention last year, as I recall… so they would hardly partake in a PR stunt to make PDT look good.

In any event – it’s a happy day on the North Coast! (except for my husband – who remains a leftist *eyeroll* 🙂

Comment by COFlyerCLE — December 21, 2017 @ 1:15 pm - December 21, 2017

10. Hanover @ #1 reminded me of my own disgust with Obama and caused me to think about when I really got peeved with him.

I remember the exact moment. It was when he told me that I would always choose to perform an unnecessary surgical operation instead of professionally treat every patient according to accepted standards of care.

After all, it’s what he would do when put in that position. Every. Single. Time.

Me? I’ll let the orange man be my voice.

Comment by Sathar — December 21, 2017 @ 1:50 pm - December 21, 2017

11. if this tax bill results in less money going into the hands of the richest people in the united states(the politicians)it is a win for the American worker.

Comment by salg — December 21, 2017 @ 2:39 pm - December 21, 2017

12. Hanover, that sentient moment for me came when he gave a campaign speech in Portland, OR, ahead of a “free concert”. He said: “We can’t drive our SUV’s eat whatever we want and have our thermostats turned up to 70 degrees. That’s NOT ok to the rest of the world.” Sathar, my animus towards him deepened even more when he made those comments about pediatricians taking out tonsils because of the “fee schedule” and doctors amputating feet because they got paid more for that than treating diabetes. He even threw out some wildly inflated number of reimbursement for that. I was screaming at the tv “You effing, clueless liar!”

Comment by runningrn — December 21, 2017 @ 3:12 pm - December 21, 2017

13. Lets hope Peter Theil doesn’t take this guy as a rentboy when he visits the white house

Comment by Steve — December 21, 2017 @ 4:12 pm - December 21, 2017

14. Taxation is theft” is perhaps too-strongly expressed, but strong-arm coercion is certainly involved.

“Social Justice” and “doing the right thing” are definitions for charity, not coercion. If social society represents “things we do together“, then it shouldn’t involve a sharp-pointy-stick threateningly-poked in our ribs or-else!

The test should be A LOT HIGHER for what causes and government activities get funded by our money.

Comment by Ted B. (Charging Rhino) — December 21, 2017 @ 5:04 pm - December 21, 2017

15. Someone believes that government spends money more efficiently than individuals?

That’s very revealing.

Comment by Conservative guy — December 21, 2017 @ 5:39 pm - December 21, 2017

16. I must confess that I’m not excited about tax cuts. I’d be much happier if our “leaders” did something about out-of-control spending, endless wars, and the looming debt implosion. Team Trump toots its horn over the stock market run up despite the fact that stock prices are nuts. Team Trump, having tethered itself to the rising market, will soon find itself tethered to the boat anchor that the market will become.

And, as Ann Coulter and Mark Steyn have pointed out, the numero uno issue facing us (and the rest of the West) is immigration.

Unless immigration is addressed (and greatly reduced) all the other issues that energize the right become irrelevant.

Comment by KCRob — December 21, 2017 @ 6:18 pm - December 21, 2017

17. The left’s commentary, though, has been utterly predictable. Aside from general carnage, there are the usual questions like “so, you don’t favor highways, cops, etc?”.

Comment by KCRob — December 21, 2017 @ 6:18 pm – December 21, 2017

You can just remind them, Rob, that the last time they got “stimulus” money for that, they screamed that it should NOT be spent on infrastructure, cops, etc. — you know, all those jobs for “burly men”.

My favorite one today has been nuking the leftists who scream that the tax cut is just peanuts is reminding them how their God-King Obama said $40 a week could change the world.

I swear, I don’t think leftists are mentally capable of remembering what they said yesterday, much less four years ago.

Comment by North Dallas Thirty — December 21, 2017 @ 6:35 pm - December 21, 2017

18. Sather @2
    And they fell like wheat before the scythe! It is brutal! Never have I seen such fear lurking in the coffee shops and campus bookstores.

Comment by Sennacherib — December 22, 2017 @ 5:47 am - December 22, 2017

19. Bwahhahhahhhah. It’s like Wednesday November 9th all over again.
    #MAGA Again…

Comment by Ted Bunker (Charging Rhino) — December 22, 2017 @ 9:42 am - December 22, 2017

20. Imagine for a moment that Barack Obama had signed off on a tax reform bill in within 24 hours, corporations were giving out bonuses and raises to their employees. Imagine the Obamagasm the media would have had had that happened.

Rush Limbaugh has a long piece about the Trump tax cuts. I was going to thread it, but we already have two threads on the tax cuts, so we may as well keep the discussion going there. Here’s a pull-quote.

The Democrats are going to be seen before too long as the people who will take your bonus away from you. The Democrats are gonna be seen as the people who want to take your tax cut away from you. Let them go right ahead. If they think they can win the House back using that and hatred for Trump, have at it.

Comment by V the K — December 22, 2017 @ 10:08 am - December 22, 2017

21. And the leftists at Politico are out today with how Trump faces a “bloodbath” in the 2018 elections.

Dear me. It isn’t even 2018 yet and DemonizingRats are predicting armageddon for the Repugnants. What the DemonizingRats don’t understand is that the Never-Trumpsters are dropping like flies and joining the success train.

Furthermore, anyone who predicts what is going to “happen” to Trump 11 months out didn’t pay attention to his run for the nomination, his campaign, or his first 10 months in office.

Trump remains a force to be reckoned with. The opposition “reckoners” are stuck on stupid wrecking. They keep getting their lunch eaten and they just do the same thing over and over again. Go figure.

Comment by Heliotrope — December 22, 2017 @ 10:34 am - December 22, 2017

22. Then: When Obama was president, Democrats said corporate tax cuts would “broaden the tax base in order to increase competitiveness for companies across the nation”

Now: Same Democrats call the cut in the corporate tax rate a “giveaway to the rich.”

Comment by V the K — December 22, 2017 @ 10:41 am - December 22, 2017

23. With @16 MCRob…

I was so happy when Trump went after Yellen and the big fat bubble during the debates. Now he’s cheering a stock market which has gone parabolic.

Zero percent interest rates have fed the stock bubble along with causing sky high housing prices. Meanwhile people like me prudent with money have been screwed out of tens of thousands of dollars earning nothing on our savings unless I gamble it in the casino of a stock market.

Why he cheers outlandish stick valuations escapes me.

Comment by CH — December 22, 2017 @ 12:03 pm - December 22, 2017

24. Reminder that Kristol paraphrased fascist foreign policy doctrine after 9/11 by musing that declaring war on anybody was the right way to go because it would allow the Bush administration to accrue more powers with the blessings of the public, and that if nothing else, it would keep the new generation loyal and stop them from getting fat and lazy.

Comment by Sean L — December 22, 2017 @ 1:05 pm - December 22, 2017

25. Yep. Whistling past the graveyard …

Comment by Cas — December 23, 2017 @ 11:49 am - December 23, 2017

26. Yep. Whistling past the graveyard …

Comment by Cas — December 23, 2017 @ 11:49 am – December 23, 2017

Oh look, it’s Piss Cas trying to troll for attention.

That’s typical. Piss Cas tried to get attention by screaming that V the K was a pedophile. It’s just what children do.

Comment by North Dallas Thirty — December 23, 2017 @ 2:40 pm - December 23, 2017

27. Governments ARE Corporations. They are corrupt because we are compelled to patronize them.

Comment by BigJ — December 24, 2017 @ 9:56 am - December 24, 2017