It’s Not Every Day You See the Stupidest Thing You’ve Ever Seen

Posted by V the K at 8:51 am - January 12, 2018.
Filed under: Post 9-11 America

Can’t embed the video, you’ll have to go to the source to see it for yourselves.

“We’re trying to invent a new way of being, feeling, thinking, seeing and being seen,” the choreographer Moriah Evans said of her spooky new dance, “Figuring.” “There’s more of an interest in sensation.” In the dance, @mosnave explores minuscule movements that start from deep inside the body before moving out. They’re triggered by different energetic approaches: One, for instance, taps into vibrations. In this video, she said, her dancers show “a few of the emergent structures — you might call them mini-events — that are part of our practice and that will be in the piece.” Included in the daring @americanrealness festival, “Figuring” is performed this week by Nicole Marie Mannarino (in pink), @percivalpilates (in mustard) and @lizziefeidelson (in blue) at the industrial, cavernous @sculpturecenter in #LongIslandCity. Set to a score by @sapropelicpycnic, the work also has political underpinnings, and is a reaction to the current political climate. It’s “a real investment in making a feminist piece that empowers women’s bodies,” Moriah told the @nytimes writer @giadk. “There are so many ways to sense beauty.” @mosadek made this video for #SpeakingInDance, our weekly series exploring the world of #dance.

That’s what happens when “art” is made by people getting Government grants. When art actually has to appeal to people, you get… stuff like this. (Seriously, these guys make Michael Jackson look like the two women spazzing out in “Figuring.”)

18 Comments »

1. “But I got a grant…!” **yeesh**

Comment by Ted B. (Charging Rhino) — January 12, 2018 @ 9:30 am - January 12, 2018

2. I refuse to click any of the links because there is no possible way to “unsee” what I will see.

Clearly, this ensemble will spark a revolution and bring a new age of understanding, love and gluten-free harmony. Clearly, I will be left out.

Comment by Heliotrope — January 12, 2018 @ 9:31 am - January 12, 2018

3. @3 Clearly, you’ll be left out and way better off.

Comment by Cyril — January 12, 2018 @ 9:48 am - January 12, 2018

4. The NYT Instagram video appears to be a cross between twerking and a non-horizontal version of an epileptic seizure. (And the pink sweater woman with an apparent midlife crisis needs to find a good brassiere fitter—and go with their recommendation.) However, it’s not much different than some dance performances I’ve witnessed over the years. What is more interesting is some of the comments, accusing the choreographer of essentially stealing from African dance [“cultural appropriation” in the current parlance]. So the demise of this particular presentation may come from politically correct outrage at the sins of the creator than any popularity contest.

That said, not everything has to have commercial appeal to be a valid art form. The Asiapop guys are very talented, but at their heart they are yet another boy band who works hard at what they do. I notice that they recently celebrated their 15th anniversary. Are they going to keep doing this until they hit their 30th anniversary with the same members, or be like Menudo and recruit a new class every few years? If they can keep it fresh, then I guess it doesn’t matter; but it kinda reminds me of a couple of my high school classmates who go to all the concerts by the bands of the late 70s. They might sound the same today and you might be able to get a concert ticket you can afford, but if I’m going to see them perform, it’s when they were in their prime—not when they need a walker to get on stage.

Comment by RSG — January 12, 2018 @ 11:01 am - January 12, 2018

5. Gyrating like you are having an orgasm while letting your boobies bounce freely has already been done. Just watch videos of the hippie movement of the 1960’s. So for me, this is just (((yaaaawwwwnnnn)))

Comment by TADFORD — January 12, 2018 @ 11:15 am - January 12, 2018

6. The state of ‘modern art’ (now on its third century – BTW) IS truly a thing of wonderment. The grants allow this nonsense as few and far between are there individuals who would actually hand over good money for this stuff.

To add context to this ‘culture’, I went back to college, and actually entered a Fine Art problem. Had a good program adviser who would comment (in private) the truly horrible theory that gives aid and comfort to this kind of nonsense. At least in private, we both had a good laugh over a classmate of mine who trying to get into the The School of Art Institute in Chicago. The person there that reviewed her work said “too much drawing”. Too much drawing? Please, a lifetime of drawing might not help this individual, and both the adviser and I knew it as we both laughed about the comment.

No – this is the state of government funded art today. Trash being pushed with – too many words.

And yes – I didn’t finish the program. I didn’t need to. I was already a professional artist with sells around the world. Something, that the staff didn’t have – but several did have all their ‘theory’.

Much like this truly awful mess.

Comment by Dav — January 12, 2018 @ 12:43 pm - January 12, 2018

7. nothing to see here (there)…. and I mean nothing! Art is pretty much dead culturally unless you seek out those few who still believe in aesthetics.

Comment by Rex — January 12, 2018 @ 1:17 pm - January 12, 2018

8. I’m glad I’m not the only one who thought of this as looking like an epileptic seizure. While I am not a fan of modern dance, what I have seen does have a sense of going somewhere–even if that somewhere often changes. This looked as though someone should be calling for medical help.

I am of two minds on government funding of the arts. I have enjoyed many performances at Wolf Trap Park for the Performing Arts and the Kennedy Center–both of which are subsidized by the federal government, but in theory I’m not sure it’s not something the federal government should be doing. But, assuming that it is something that the feds should be doing, there is too much funding if stuff like the movement is getting government (= our tax)money.

Comment by TheQuietMan — January 12, 2018 @ 1:22 pm - January 12, 2018

9. “What is Art?” …and what it ain’t.

Nearly thirty years ago I made the arduous trek to New York for a concentrated-round of photographic gallery visits, and a few major museums; Greenwich Village, Soho, Chelsea and up the East Side. At the Whitney — during the Biennial — was a juried and awarded work; …approximately one-ton of common ordinary bricks, painted primary yellow and neatly “dumped” in a pile in the middle of the gallery spreading to the corners to much acclaim. [/snark] [/scorn]

Art!!” they proclaimed, …attention must be paid!

Gallery after gallery of pretentious rubbish.
    Trashy nudes that failed even to be erotic.
    Neurotic streetscapes and figurative trash…

The ONLY highlight was a gallery of Claude Monet waterlilies filling the walls. (I can’t recall if they were originals, or in-the-style-of. “Art” was much for accessible and affordable then.)

I haven’t gone back to NYC for “art’s sake” since. Humbug, sir! Humbug!

Comment by Ted B. (Charging Rhino) — January 12, 2018 @ 1:44 pm - January 12, 2018

10. Btw, PJW had a good (read: documented) take on today’s state of affairs on the matter:

Comment by Cyril — January 12, 2018 @ 1:44 pm - January 12, 2018

11. @5

Gyrating like you are having an orgasm…

Well, Your Mileage May Vary, but should my sweet dear wife manifest an orgasm like that sort of spasms, I have to admit this would likely become pretty quick a source of concern, here —

either that, or I simply still have no clue — which, granted, is always possible!

Comment by Cyril — January 12, 2018 @ 6:12 pm - January 12, 2018

12. They look like Britney Spears (twerking??).

Comment by KCRob — January 12, 2018 @ 6:18 pm - January 12, 2018

13. Art, noun.

Early 13c. : “skill as a result of learning or practice,” from Old French art (10c.), from Latin artem (nominative: ars);

In Middle English usually with a sense of “skill in scholarship and learning” (c. 1300), especially in the seven sciences, or liberal arts;

Meaning “system of rules and traditions for performing certain actions” is from late 15c;

Meaning of “skill in cunning and trickery” first attested late 16c. (the sense in: artful, artless);

Meaning “skill in creative arts” is first recorded 1610s; especially of painting, sculpture, etc., from 1660s;

Supreme art is a traditional statement of certain heroic and religious truths, passed on from age to age, modified by individual genius, but never abandoned.

Expression “art for art’s sake” (1824) translates in French “l’art pour l’art”. First record of art critic is from 1847.

Arts and crafts “decorative design and handcraft” first attested in the Arts and Crafts Exhibition Society, founded in London, 1888.

My personal suspicion/speculation: art got doomed to have a malevolent eye upon it in 1824 or 1847. See above.

Probably because of those damn French, again.

Comment by Cyril — January 12, 2018 @ 7:49 pm - January 12, 2018

14. Correction:

* … because of those damn post-1789 French, again.

Comment by Cyril — January 12, 2018 @ 7:59 pm - January 12, 2018

15. While watching, I found myself actually getting into it. I got up out of my office chair, extended my arms, and my pelvis and abdominals found themselves in sync, thrusting and contracting. I slowly leaned back, then forward; I gyrated, first with subtle, then growing movements. These movements were involuntary and I felt an exquisite release — into the wastebasket.

Comment by Ignatius — January 13, 2018 @ 12:27 pm - January 13, 2018

16. The audience at the premiere of Stravinsky’s Rite of Spring rioted at the sight and sound of costumes, dances, and music based on shamanic Russian rituals. But at least that has a point, a story. This is just… what?

Comment by Sean L — January 13, 2018 @ 3:09 pm - January 13, 2018

17. @15 😀 😀 😀

Comment by Cyril — January 13, 2018 @ 6:56 pm - January 13, 2018

18. The audience at the premiere … rioted

Now you’re lucky is the recorded music drowns-out the snoring, …and the giggling. Basically the same reaction as to the rather-banal and generic go-go boys at your typical gay club.

A true overhead street-conversation years ago in Philly near the Academy of Music;
    “I only go to Dance theater when they have the men dancing these days. The rest is rather boring…”
    “It’s best to get seats up in the front rows so you can smell and
    feel the sweat thrown as they perform.” I hung back at the light to cross Broad Street so I could casually-see if I knew the two old queens, imagine my surprise at seeing two well-dressed Main-Line matrons…

Comment by Ted B. (Charging Rhino) — January 14, 2018 @ 12:03 am - January 14, 2018

RSS feed for comments on this post. TrackBack URI