“Americans Are Dreamers, Too”

Posted by V the K at 9:28 am - January 31, 2018.
Filed under: Donald Trump

Us:

Hat Tip

Them:

I did not watch the State of the Union speech. I was fighting werewolves (or, “war-wilfs“) in Glenumbra with my Breton Templar. Then, I watched an episode of Descendants of the Sun and went to bed. But here’s what I deduced from social media:

• In a break from the previous eight SOTU addresses, the one PDT delivered was unapologetically pro-American; he said “America” more than eighty times and Democrats hated it. The word ‘America’ is now ‘divisive and exclusionary.’ Ponder that.
  • Roger Simon: “Steny Hoyer and Nancy Pelosi watching  Trump’s speech looked like a pair of sullen six-year olds on a sugar crash the day after Halloween.  Bernie Sanders looked mummified.  Schumer was slumped so deeply in his chair he was almost falling through the crack.”
  • The Democrats have become what they accused Republicans of being under Obama; a group of hatred-filled obstructionists chained to the radical elements of their party. They couldn’t applaud for record low black unemployment, record low Hispanic unemployment, or defeating ISIS. They couldn’t applaud a trillion dollars in infrastructure investment, even though they supported it under Obama. If they had shown even the slightest support for America’s successes, their ANTIFA base would have destroyed them. Those angry glowering faces on the TV screens weren’t just for Trump; they resent their new ‘Woke’ masters just as much.
  • Of a piece with that: Angry leftists forced the Washington Post to change their headline on the ‘State of the Union.’ Angry leftists thought ‘A Call for Bi-Partisanship’ was too “pro-Trump.” This is a thing that happened.
  • The Boss wants to know who the wigless drag queen sitting next to Senator Cory Booker was. I think it was T-Bone.
  • Cory Booker was trying to do his best ‘Angry Bald Black Man’ face last night. But instead of Captain Benjamin Sisko, he came off looking more like constipated Damon Wayans.
  • As for Senator Wyden: A green tie and a blue jacket? I dress like a blind lesbian, and even I know you don’t do that.
  • PDT came out in favor of church, family, patriotism and law enforcement. Democrat Media Operative Joy Reid calls these things the elements of white nationalism.
  • PDT came out strongly against MS-13 murdering young Americans. Senator Kamala Harris immediately came out in favor of MS-13 murdering young Americans. More or less. Fellow traveler Joy Reid also likes her some MS-13 violence.
  • The Democrat rebuttal was delivered by a drooling idiot. Also, they dredged up a Kennedy to choke out some stale talking points.
  • Democrat Media Operative Jimmy Kimmel hosted a former actress who is alleged to have had an extra-marital affair with PDT. Unfortunately for him, she denied having the affair. Also, the Democrats have been going around insinuating that Nikki Haley had an affair with PDT and that’s how she became ambassador to the UN. They’re playing with fire here because sleeping around with a powerful politician is exactly what launched Kamala Harris’s political career.

1. “I dress like a blind lesbian,” LOL!

Comment by Sennacherib — January 31, 2018 @ 9:48 am - January 31, 2018

2. The SOTU was great, and I say that as someone who finds POTUS 45 somewhat difficult to listen to for an extended period of time (the endless superlatives get to me after awhile).

FLOTUS was stunning as usual; her attire was mocked by decidedly less stunning Sally Kohn as being an example of white supremacism until she was called out on Twitter and then attempted to walk it back using the old “geez, can’t you guys take a joke” excuse.

Funny that Bruce compared Ron Wyden to a drag queen; I thought he looked like he was about to go to his side job as a member of the cast of a revival of La Cage Aux Folles or Hairspray. With each passing month he looks more like a pre-op tranny who can’t decide if he really wants to transition or not.

The Dems were a sorry lot, appearing as if most were strung out on opiods and affected by the resulting constipation. San Fran Nan appeared to struggle with trying to dislodge a piece of filet mignon from her teeth with her tongue after dinner at The Palm most of the evening. When Oprah’s BFF remarks on live tee vee about how dour they look, you know that if it was a stunt it backfired.

The best part, from a stagecraft aspect, were the presidential guests (aka “living props” or “Skutniks“). Preston Sharp, the 12-year-old who made it his mission to place a flag on the grave of every veteran, looked like he was having the time of his life (and why wouldn’t he, seated next to Melania Trump). The most compelling part of the evening was the story of the North Korean émigré who lost his legs as a starving child and endured many struggles in order to arrive at his current position in South Korea as a facilitator for defectors from the north.

At least one poll shows a 72% approval rating for those who watched the speech. While Botox Betty is out spinning the night as a “new low” this morning (continuing on her theme of “Tax Cut Armageddon”), it appears that much of the rest of the country disagrees.

Comment by RSG — January 31, 2018 @ 10:57 am - January 31, 2018

3. I think I watched 3/4 of it.

It was a good, very pro-America First speech.

No wonder why the left is so disgruntled.

Comment by Cyril J. — January 31, 2018 @ 11:16 am - January 31, 2018

4. I learned years ago to never have anything dangerous to throw at or project to the TV during a President’s speech. And lately I never even watch these speeches as I can’t stand their being interrupted every couple of sentences with one side of the other giving a standing ovation with only the slightest provocation. Reading the speech—usually a page or two at a time as my digestion or blood pressure can handle it–is my usual technique. This time was no exception, although it looks as if I missed some fun.

I thought it was a well-constructed speech of its type aimed at the viewers at home. I liked the emphasis on the American citizen–very explicitly used. We deplorables love that, and it lays a bit of a trap for those opposing his immigration (and sanctuary city) policies of being against the citizen.

The dem theatrics will probably hurt them with the public, but they won’t think that in their party circles.

But why were none of the illegal aliens arrested after the speech on their way home?

Comment by TheQuietMan — January 31, 2018 @ 11:23 am - January 31, 2018

5. I listened to, rather than watched, the C-Span coverage. I didn’t even notice the length of the speech, and I’ve sat through all 4 Jimmy Carter stemwinders. My first impression was, “It’s the return of Small Business – Main Street Republicanism”; no mentions of abortion, gay marriage, the 2nd Amendment or the Social Conservative agenda. Trump reached out to the Black and Hispanic communities with an open-hand, even the Dreamers.

The Dhimmicrats are in trouble for 2018.

Comment by Ted B. (Charging Rhino) — January 31, 2018 @ 12:09 pm - January 31, 2018

6. A good speech – and yes, a bit too long. Nevertheless, the behavior of the Democrats was more than enough for me to know that the Democratic Party has a major problem. It does want to represent the American people, and put forward an agenda for the United States.

And in the long and the short of it, the Democratic Party ought to have no future in these United States. The problem is simple – the Democratic Party is not – American.

Comment by Dav — January 31, 2018 @ 12:17 pm - January 31, 2018

7. The Democratic Party is all about representing another country —

that is not America —

rather, their imaginary one —

which I, for one, detest.

Comment by Cyril J. — January 31, 2018 @ 1:02 pm - January 31, 2018

8. For the Corey Booker pic, isn’t is supposed to be CLOWNS to the left and JOKERS to the right? That looks backwards.

Comment by Juddgement — January 31, 2018 @ 1:05 pm - January 31, 2018

9. Sens. Menendez and Booker, as a NJ resident I’m soooo-embarrassed.

Rumor is that the US Attorney may not retry Menendez for corruption. **Arrrh!**

As for Booker, one of these days his closet is going to spectacularly explode — one way or another. With innocent-bystanders taking the brunt of the shrapnel. So much anger and resentment…

Comment by Ted B. (Charging Rhino) — January 31, 2018 @ 2:43 pm - January 31, 2018

10. The DemonizingRats refused to stand up for:

Border Security

The American Flag

Fighting Opioid Abuse

The National Anthem

Bonuses for American Workers

Lowest Ever Black Unemployment

Lowest Ever Hispanic Unemployment

Merit-Based Immigration

2.4 Million Jobs Created

Jerusalem as Israel’s Capitalol

In God We Trust

WHAT IS THE STRATEGY?

Comment by Heliotrope — January 31, 2018 @ 2:53 pm - January 31, 2018

11. The first time I heard about Corey Booker, I thought that this man really might be the long lost decent Democrat. Now I am really embarrassed. Still, I hope to stumble upon him or her before I die. Wish me luck.

Comment by John — January 31, 2018 @ 2:54 pm - January 31, 2018

12. @10

Question:

WHAT IS THE STRATEGY?

Answer: help yourself, here’s what their new rising star had to say in SOTU’s response:

So beautifully unpolarized, isn’t it?

Comment by Cyril J. — January 31, 2018 @ 3:42 pm - January 31, 2018

13. This speech exceeded my expectations. Trump was masterful; I was shocked. He was calm, he was thoughtful, he was engaged, informed, compassionate and Presidential. I loved that he started it with recognizing the everyday American heroes that were sitting up in the gallery (the first being the female Coast Guard helicopter pilot). I loved how he wove the terrible disasters we have endured this yeaer into a call for unity.

“We have shared in the heights of victory and the pains of hardship. We have endured floods and fires and storms. But through it all, we have seen the beauty of America’s soul, and the steel in America’s spine.

Each test has forged new American heroes to remind us who we are, and show us what we can be.”

And the money quote for the night was “Americans are dreamers too.” #boom! I was on my feet!

The tributes he paid to those in the gallery were truly beautiful and heartfelt. I teared up a little when he honored the family that lost the 2 teenaged girls to an illegal alien. He completely surprised me when he spoke about the North Korean dissident–and I bawled when he stood up and waved his crutches.

The Democrats looked angry and depressed. The CBC sat stone faced when he announced the lowest unemployment for blacks ever. They want to keep their constituents enslaved on the Democrat plantation, dependent on the government. They couldn’t even rise for soldiers or God. Every Democrat looked like they were at a funeral, and truthfully, they kind of were–their own party which is decidedly moving even farther left to combat Trump.

In contrast to Precedent McSelfiestick, he used the word “we” 129 times, the word “I” 29 times and the word “our” 104 times. It was refreshing to listen to a President who loves this country and who is committed to putting Americans first. He lost me a little on lowering the cost of prescription drugs (we don’t want price fixing), and I was not a fan of the amnesty thing. However, on a whole, that speech was absolutely awesome. I did not miss the halting speech, pivoting head, nose in the air, superciliousness of our Great Speechifier or TOTUS.

Ace of Spades had the best succinct synopsis of the rebuttal in one of their headlines: “Chapstick-aquiddickNon-Dead Kennedy Delivers Flaccid, Boilerplate Democrat Lip Service”. Daniel Greenfield has the best synopsis of it overall:

Comment by runningrn — January 31, 2018 @ 4:01 pm - January 31, 2018

14. John (#10)–I think the last decent democrat at the national level may have been Hubert Horatio Humphrey or Daniel Patrick Moynihan.

Good luck in your search.

Comment by TheQuietMan — January 31, 2018 @ 4:38 pm - January 31, 2018

15. @ 7. Yes, the Dems have decided to represent another country. There must be no future for them in this country.

Comment by Dav — January 31, 2018 @ 4:50 pm - January 31, 2018

16. The speech was too long, as they usually are. But Trump did not repeat himself as much, so maybe he is getting the hang of it.

He called for unity, and Pelosi accused him of sowing dissension. And imagine being triggered by words like church, family, God, police, military, and America.

The Democrats hate working class Americans. Trump is just the focal point.

The images of Dems refusing to stand for the anthem, scowling while Trump talked about protecting the lives and rights of our own citizens, and looking at their cell phones while Trump talked about caring for veterans, tell you all you need to know about their party.

Those images should be used in GOP campaign ads in 2018 and 2020.

Comment by Tom — January 31, 2018 @ 6:03 pm - January 31, 2018

17. @13 Amen.

Comment by Cyril J. — January 31, 2018 @ 6:19 pm - January 31, 2018

18. @13

He completely surprised me when he spoke about the North Korean dissident —

Here, he did not.

President Trump has probably hired more Cubans fleeing communism than everybody else combined ever did in the last 50 years of US Congress.

And per the existentialist motto,

No matter what one says or does not say, one is no-one else other than what one does.

” ’nuff said. “

Comment by Cyril J. — January 31, 2018 @ 6:29 pm - January 31, 2018

19. @15

Indeed.

Comment by Cyril J. — January 31, 2018 @ 6:32 pm - January 31, 2018

20. @10 – John: I, too, once had hopes for Corey Booker but he’s been absorbed by the swamp monster – just like all the rest.

I really can’t stand the SOTU speech – usually a couple hours of disconnected talking points and meaningless initiatives (Remember GWB’s calls for hydrogen-powered cars? I thought not.)

So, I didn’t watch the DJT show. But now I wish it did since it caused the lefties to pucker so much (and, no Chuck Schumer isn’t in any danger of falling into a crack – unless he falls into himself).

The speech seems to have demonstrated one fact: the DC-swamp Dems have zero interest in getting anything done; it’s all about obstructing Trump and if there is collateral damage out in flyover country well, then, tough luck for you losers.

I know a lot of people pay very little attention to public affairs but I don’t know how anyone could see the left’s reaction and come to any conclusion other than “the left doesn’t just disagree or have different ideas; the left hates us, hates the country, and hates everything it stands for”.

If anyone from the ACLU sees this, I am triggered by the “American” in “American Civil Liberties Union”.

When the demonym for a nation’s people becomes “triggering” then the triggered people need to get a grip.

Comment by KCRob — January 31, 2018 @ 6:44 pm - January 31, 2018

21. OT – but I couldn’t help but laugh when a perfectly sensible article by Andrew Sullivan on the far-left drift of the LBGTQWERTY movement has a hand in the downward tick of the masses’ opinions of homos and was instantly accused of transphobia in a “screed”.

Leftist != liberal in any way.

Sully is one step away from working in Mike Pence’s electroshock conversion therapy clinic.

Comment by KCRob — January 31, 2018 @ 6:52 pm - January 31, 2018

22. @13 and you’re right — Daniel Greenfield quite nails it, AFAICT.

He also reports on this other instance of unique display of empathy with variable geometry that the left got us accustomed to:

Bernie Sanders Surrogate Cheers Crash of Train Carrying Republicans

Comment by Cyril J. — January 31, 2018 @ 7:48 pm - January 31, 2018

23. KCRob, I like your last three paragraphs especially of your #20.

For #21, the lgbtqnation writer was only looking for an excuse to unleash invective. I think Sullivan’s point as written is more correct than not, although the poll results may be a one-off. But most parents are rather concerned when men, whatever “gender” they claim to belong to, are in their little girls’ restroom. Their concerns do not go away when one of the faces of transgenderism is a disturbed traitor (Manning).

My advice, not that they will listen, is to consolidate the recent gains a bit before going for more. (There are actually legitimate arguments for not having transgendered individuals in the military as they have more complicated medical needs. In theory, all soldiers, at least when they start, are deployable, it doesn’t make sense to bring in people who may cause extra medical problems to the system.)

Comment by TheQuietMan — January 31, 2018 @ 7:48 pm - January 31, 2018

24. It will be a close call whether the Democrats take control of the House. But their pouting and outrageousness will help the GOP at the margins.

Comment by davinci38 — January 31, 2018 @ 8:07 pm - January 31, 2018

25. #6

The Democrats do have an agenda. It is socialism and for the loony left, it is Communism.

Comment by davinci38 — January 31, 2018 @ 8:10 pm - January 31, 2018

26. “In contrast to Precedent McSelfiestick, he used the word “we” 129 times, the word “I” 29 times and the word “our” 104 times…”

And a good third of those “I” words was “I have asked the Congress to…”

Comment by Southern Man — January 31, 2018 @ 8:28 pm - January 31, 2018

27. Btw — on this,

They couldn’t applaud for record low black unemployment, record low Hispanic unemployment, or defeating ISIS. They couldn’t applaud a trillion dollars in infrastructure investment, even though they supported it under Obama […]

someone took the time to compile the tidbits about just that,

… for posterity.

Comment by Cyril — January 31, 2018 @ 8:58 pm - January 31, 2018

28. The Left currently defines itself by absolute opposition to Trump: Trump is bad, and thus everything he does is bad, too. How else can you call bonuses from tax cuts a bad thing?

Comment by Sean L — February 1, 2018 @ 5:42 am - February 1, 2018

29. When Andrew Sullivan starts looking like the voice of reason, you know the left is way out there where the buses don’t run.

Comment by V the K — February 1, 2018 @ 9:39 am - February 1, 2018

30. I liked this satire justification of why the democrats didn’t stand for anything Trump said:

Comment by Jonathan — February 1, 2018 @ 10:08 am - February 1, 2018

31. When Andrew Sullivan starts looking like the voice of reason, you know the left is way out there where the buses don’t run.

And when Andrew Sullivan starts quoting Jordan Peterson you know the end times are nigh.

Comment by RSG — February 1, 2018 @ 10:56 am - February 1, 2018

32. Branco illustrates the response to the SOTU by the Future of the Democrat Party:

#StopDrooling

Comment by Cyril — February 1, 2018 @ 7:58 pm - February 1, 2018

33. And despite of the disgruntled leftist #FakeMedia either not reporting it or downright disparaging it, the formula is seemingly making it home with the people:

Americans are Dreamers, Too

#NotMyFakeNews

Comment by Cyril — February 1, 2018 @ 11:54 pm - February 1, 2018

34. And… from the Amazing Lucas…

Americans Are Dreamers, Too

#NotMyFakeNews

Comment by Cyril — February 2, 2018 @ 12:04 am - February 2, 2018

35. “Ponder that”

I will, V the K.

The ACLU: “Tonight, President Trump said the word ‘America’ more than 80 times in his speech. Yet, after a divisive first year, we hear and feel how exclusionary that ‘America’ is, with policies that have harmed so many vulnerable American communities. The ACLU stands ready to protect these communities, both in the courts and at the polls.”

You translate this as: “he said “America” more than eighty times and Democrats hated it. The word ‘America’ is now ‘divisive and exclusionary.’”

It is not the word, “America,” that is divisive, V the K, it is the policies that are “divisive and exclusionary” in ‘America.’

Comment by Cas — February 2, 2018 @ 1:28 pm - February 2, 2018

36. @35

Putting quote around a noun or a name — as in, eg, “America” — doesn’t remove any bit of entropy from a fallacious argument that has otherwise no evident grounding for anyone to stand on.

To begin with,

with policies that have harmed so many vulnerable American communities

is lacking so much specifics that one can barely decide where to start with the vagueness weighing in the most.

“policies” — which, exactly?

“have harmed” — from when, for how long, harmed how, according to whom, per which evidence?

“so many vulnerable” — which ones, and vulnerable how, according to whom, per which evidence?

“American communities” — which, exactly? “American” how? Citizens only or legal immigrant included? “Communities” by which traits and representable / represented by whom?

Etc, etc.

If the ACLU is all-in using this new as-dull-and-vague-as-it-can-get PC newspeak en vogue, that’s their problem.

A number of us prefer to keep using plain English for effective communication, if that’s not too much to ask.

Thank you very much.