Wow. A TV Show With a Gay Character. That’s So Brave.

Posted by V the K at 10:46 am - March 2, 2018.
Filed under: Gay Culture

Hollywood actor says his new TV show will really put Trump in his place by featuring a gay lead character.

Alan Cumming thinks his new show, which portrays the first gay leading character on a network drama, could not be coming at a better time.

“I really do applaud everyone at CBS for having the courage to put [this] on right now in the kind of climate where you might not think to do that.

I really don’t think PDT will be quaking in his boots about this, but I am glad that, finally, someone is addressing the serious shortage of gay people on TV.

1. what do these people think trump is doing to gay people? do they just believe the party line without ever making a reality check.

Comment by salg — March 2, 2018 @ 10:52 am - March 2, 2018

2. So, how does this work? Is it one of those edgier, Game of Thrones-esque serials where you kill off your lead in the pilot?

Comment by Sathar — March 2, 2018 @ 10:58 am - March 2, 2018

3. linkee no workee

Comment by Steven — March 2, 2018 @ 11:36 am - March 2, 2018

4. There’s also some gay coming of age film called “Love, Simon” coming out (see what I did there) and I’ve been assaulted by billboards all over LA.

Very groan inducing stuff like “Dear LA, Can you tell me which way to WeHo? Love, Simon”

How is this even edgy? Do they think it’s 1998 or something?

Most people just shrug at anything gay, especially Republicans.

I think gays are pissed theyre not pissing anyone off anymore. They’re really just attention whores whose time has passed.

Comment by CH — March 2, 2018 @ 12:05 pm - March 2, 2018

5. This year more than others are going to be very desperate to keep their enslaved demographics in the run-up to the election. Midterm politics.

Comment by Hanover — March 2, 2018 @ 12:30 pm - March 2, 2018

6. My mom is one of those old Hungarian women who just say whatever comes to her mind… and she had recently remarked in her unusual half-Hungarian, half-New English accent (and mind you, we come from a family of Holocaust and Soviet survivors as well as Catholics) that “Everyone in Hollywood is a Jew and Gay… ”

Well, I busted out laughing, but y’know… it’s very true.

Comment by RGB — March 2, 2018 @ 12:53 pm - March 2, 2018

7. @1

“do they just believe the party line without ever making a reality check”

The epitome of a rhetorical question.

Comment by Cyril J. — March 2, 2018 @ 12:54 pm - March 2, 2018

8. “Wow. A TV Show With a Gay Character. That’s So Brave.”

What would be brave — and funny — would be a movie about the struggle of radical islamist gays to reconcile their sexual preferences with the lifestyle and political power of their non-gay peers.

Now that’d be a fun thing to watch in a peculiar way — at the height of fiction.

Comment by Cyril J. — March 2, 2018 @ 1:02 pm - March 2, 2018

9. Why do people become American citizens and immediately turn into SJWs? My cleaning lady just had the ceremony and is now busily denouncing Trump! Now we have to hear from untalented Alan Cumming. Give me Bob Cummings any day!

Comment by miss marmelstein — March 2, 2018 @ 1:22 pm - March 2, 2018

10. “Will and Grace” doesn’t count anymore?

Comment by TheQuietMan — March 2, 2018 @ 1:50 pm - March 2, 2018

11. Is Will even gay anymore?

Comment by Ted B. (Charging Rhino) — March 2, 2018 @ 2:21 pm - March 2, 2018

12. Does “Love Sidney” not count as a drama?

Comment by Niall — March 2, 2018 @ 3:32 pm - March 2, 2018

13. Let us not forget Bert and Ernie. They may have been the first gay couple on TV (there’s only one bed in the bedroom).

Comment by Blair Ivey — March 2, 2018 @ 4:11 pm - March 2, 2018

14. I’ve always been a little suspicious of Waldorf and Statler myself…

Comment by Ted B. (Charging Rhino) — March 2, 2018 @ 4:40 pm - March 2, 2018

15. Bert and Ernie slept in twin beds when I used to watch them in 1970. When did that change?

Comment by Conservative guy — March 2, 2018 @ 5:28 pm - March 2, 2018

16. How long ago was “Six Feet Under” on TV? Are we busy breaking ground that’s been broken for years?

Comment by MikeyParks — March 2, 2018 @ 6:25 pm - March 2, 2018

17. When these characters take their bravery on the road to, say, Malmö or a Paris banlieue, wake me up. Until then, I’m not impressed.

Comment by KCRob — March 2, 2018 @ 6:53 pm - March 2, 2018

18. “Gay” — close enough to the french, “gai” (adjective, masculine) or “gaie” (adjective, feminine) — meaning, “cheerful” / “joyful”.

In SJW-compliant LGBTQDECIPHERMEIFYOUCAN-lese, it’s more akin to,

“depressingly boring conformity posing as originality”.

I sincerely feel for the gays who — by some miracle — managed to keep two working neuron connected!

Almost as bad (or would that be, worse?) as being a Catholic forced to cope with that “Pope”!

Go figure.

Comment by Cyril — March 2, 2018 @ 8:47 pm - March 2, 2018

19. * managed to keep two working neurons

Darn I hate missing plurals when they matter.

Comment by Cyril — March 2, 2018 @ 8:49 pm - March 2, 2018

20. Ted B. (#11). I don’t know. I haven’t seen more than a couple of the bloopers from the re-boot. Their politics put me off so much I haven’t even bothered to see when the show is on free TV.

Comment by TheQuietMan — March 2, 2018 @ 10:18 pm - March 2, 2018

21. Also adding Ray from Archer and Loras, Renly, and Yara from Game of Thrones. I think one of the secondary characters from The Walking Dead is also gay, but I haven’t paid nearly enough attention to that show to care.

Back when Gotham first premiered, I remarked to my sister that the Penguin’s fascination with Jim had similar undertones to a stalker or an unrequited crush. And then a couple seasons later, I joked that the Riddler and the Penguin should just drop the pretense of bromance and kiss. And then later that season…

Haven’t watched any of Discovery to be able to comment on Anthony Rapp’s character. Clarke and Lexa from The 100 could’ve been interesting, but the end of the second season and the entirety of the third season was a catastrophe of bad writing. It was formerly the only show I ever stopped watching and really had no desire to return to- at least until Season 4 of Sherlock premiered and quickly killed not only my desire to watch the show, but also threw a wet blanket on my previous enjoyment of the show.

Comment by Sean L — March 2, 2018 @ 10:52 pm - March 2, 2018

22. The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly

That trio.

Very gay.

They laughed at each other all the time.

Comment by Cyril — March 3, 2018 @ 12:26 am - March 3, 2018

23. The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly

That trio.

Very gay.

They laughed at each other all the time.

Comment by Cyril — March 3, 2018 @ 12:26 am - March 3, 2018

24. (Sorry for double post. Damn browser)

Comment by Cyril — March 3, 2018 @ 12:27 am - March 3, 2018

25. Cam and Mitch are GAY?

Comment by mn scorpio — March 3, 2018 @ 9:37 am - March 3, 2018

26. Um, Ellen? 20 years ago?

Comment by Carol — March 3, 2018 @ 10:17 am - March 3, 2018

27. Billy Crystal, Soap, 40 years ago

Comment by James — March 3, 2018 @ 10:33 am - March 3, 2018

28. What will they think of next?!

They’ll really get innovative after this…perhaps something as unique as people-of-color surrounded by extraordinarily stupid and/or bigoted white folks; snarky womyns putting boorish white guys in their place…

Just no end to creativity.

Comment by KCRob — March 3, 2018 @ 3:43 pm - March 3, 2018

29. “1.what do these people think trump is doing to gay people?”

As the newer article shows they are killing them. Oy Vey I have been in 3 death camps already.

Comment by Steve — March 3, 2018 @ 5:14 pm - March 3, 2018

30. Out of all the gay characters on television, the gay couple from Modern Family are the most annoying and least likeable.

Comment by pawfurbehr — March 3, 2018 @ 5:54 pm - March 3, 2018

31. @ pawfurbehr: Also the most hypocritical. One episode I saw had the ginger one confront a gay high school student who wasn’t showing him proper respect or something. The Ginger said something to the effect of, “It’s because of me and gays like me that you don’t have to worry about getting shoved into a locker on a daily basis.” The high school student proceeds to make some crack about the Ginger One being a washed-up has-been. The Ginger One proceeds to shove the high school student into a locker.

Comment by Sean L — March 3, 2018 @ 8:25 pm - March 3, 2018

32. There’s also some gay coming of age film called “Love, Simon” coming out (see what I did there) and I’ve been assaulted by billboards all over LA.

It’s an adaptation of a YA novel called Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda, which was written by a female author and was critically acclaimed when it came out a few years ago. I don’t know how closely the film hews to the novel, but I’m pretty sure the marketing campaign as expressed in the billboards is the snarky creation of some copywriter who thought it would be cool to generate buzz and demonstrate that the product they’re advertising “gets it”. It’s worth noting that as the novel starts out the lead character is closeted and thus is anything but a young Jack McFarland.

Comment by RSG — March 4, 2018 @ 3:58 am - March 4, 2018

33. I thought it was in the standard Hollywood contract there had to be at least one gay in every show produced.

Comment by Juan — March 4, 2018 @ 5:44 pm - March 4, 2018

34. The love that dared not speak its name in Victorian England has been standing in everyone’s face screaming 24/7 for at least the last 35 years while demanding clapping and continuous praise else the screaming will turn violent and those people tired of the continuous praise mongering will be called homophobes (even if you happen to be gay).

Then on top of that with the 1000th “gay” character where they can’t be just people living their lives but have to be a token where the gayness is a focus – then we all have to say omg this is breaking new ground and “so brave” (pukes).

Now everyone can complain about my example – as I know the show sort of stinks but I really liked Alec and Magnus in Shadow Hunters. Yes, there are ups and downs and parent issues with coming out and etc but you really get the feel that they are in love and just living their lives.

Comment by Sandra — March 5, 2018 @ 12:43 am - March 5, 2018

35. let me clarify – just living their lives if part Angels fought Demons and Fairies/Vampires/Werewolves were all real. It is a bit of a stretch but the fact that they are in love is the normal part of the show.

Comment by Sandra — March 5, 2018 @ 12:48 am - March 5, 2018

36. Yes, and was mentioned earlier – Aaron and Eric in the Walking Dead are a fantastic couple.

Comment by Sandra — March 5, 2018 @ 12:52 am - March 5, 2018

37. Richard Simmons, General Hospital

Comment by James — March 6, 2018 @ 7:48 am - March 6, 2018

38. That still doesn’t change the fact that 99% of TV, movies, and music made after 1990 is utter garbage. It just makes gays complicit in it. It’s not like there weren’t gay actors before that.

Now that we can be out, can we actually be depicted as believable human beings?

Comment by Matthew — March 6, 2018 @ 2:02 pm - March 6, 2018

39. guess none of these guys ever heard of the awesome British Torchwood SF series, which did a follow-on season in the USA. Although it’s true that the main hero was occasionally xenosexual, he was primarily gay and had a relationship with a hot guy throughout one entire season.

Comment by Guy Galt — March 6, 2018 @ 3:43 pm - March 6, 2018

40. Matthew, do you mean like Asians, or Native Americans?

Comment by Juan — March 6, 2018 @ 5:26 pm - March 6, 2018