The Republican Senate has finished off its omnibus spending bill and like every other “Bipartisan Budget Deal,” it represents an utter capitulation to Democrats on spending greased by extra pork for the Republican Donor Class. Here are the key features of its 2,200+ pages.
- Record levels of spending across all departments. Conservatives are supposed to be happy because it increases military spending. Are you happy enough that the military gets another $60 Billion that you don’t care about the other spending and bloat?
- Chuck Schumer’s NY Transit pork project gets funded, albeit indirectly, Donald Trump’s border wall does not. There is a piddling $1.6 Billion for Border Security, which is mostly limited to repairs to existing fencing and ineffective pedestrian obstacles. Only 33 miles of the border will get new fencing.
- Also, the H2-B Visa American-Worker-substitution-program is vastly expanded (page 1,760 of the bill).
- No budget cuts to the EPA. Big increases at the Department of Energy for “Clean Energy Research.”
- Sanctuary Cities are fully-funded.
- Planned Parenthood is fully funded.
- No cuts to Obamacare. A $70Billion Bipartisan Obamacare bailout will be voted on separately.
The National Debt has expanded another Trillion dollars since PDT was elected. About the only hope we have left is that Government Growth is eventually canceled out by complete fiscal bankruptcy. So far, though, debt does not seem to matter. Leviathan feeds and grows.
This bill sucks as much as any spending bill has ever sucked. Republicans only get away with this because so few people pay attention. While Democrats fight every single day for evermore spending, the Republican party derides fiscal conservatives as “whacko-birds,” concedes everything, and then claims they had no choice but to “compromise.” And their compromises are invariable 95% sell-out to Democrats, 5% lip-service to conservative constituencies.
Is there any point to the Republican Party beyond slowing the erosion of gun rights?