This Is Love

I am glad ‘Rick and Morty’ is (was? {Season 4 is looking pretty iffy}) popular among late Millennials and Generation Tide Pod. I find its realistic cynicism refreshing. e.g. This spot on take on love and relationships.

JERRY: Beth, do you still love me?
BETH: Ugh, what kind of question is that?
JERRY: The “yes or no” kind?
BETH: Jerry, do you want homeless people to have homes?
JERRY: Yes.
BETH: Are you gonna build them?
JERRY: No.
BETH: Then what good was the “yes”?
JERRY: Wait, is loving me the house or the homeless people?
BETH: Loving you is work, Jerry hard work, like building a homeless shelter nobody wants to say no to doing it, but some people put the work in.

Better than that “Love fixes everything and emotions are always right” crap the entertainment industry spews out to move product.

YouTube Preview Image

1. Way too much cursing and sexual innuendo in this show, but I have definitely enjoyed it a lot, for the very reason you pointed out here. It totally makes a lot of real, cynical, thought provoking points. Love IS work, and that’s what makes it worth it in the end, no matter what kind of relationship we are talking about—spouse, friend, sibling…

Comment by TADFORD2 — April 3, 2018 @ 9:23 am - April 3, 2018

2. I find my inner Rick coming out more and more as time goes by.

Comment by V the K — April 3, 2018 @ 9:54 am - April 3, 2018

3. After 36 years with the same guy, I can attest to the fact that “Love is Work”.

When did i get old? I seemed to have missed that part.

Comment by TnnsNe1 — April 3, 2018 @ 10:02 am - April 3, 2018

4. Oscar Levant the great genius and brilliant pianist, once opined: “Marriage is a triumph of habit over hate.”

It is the basic truth. You develop the habit of ignoring what annoys you in order to rise above yourself and value one another. As a result, annoying habits in both of you give way to patience, understanding and true friendship.

Yes, a lasting relationship begins as work. Soon enough, if you both try, it becomes a partnership and a skill.

Comment by Heliotrope — April 3, 2018 @ 10:12 am - April 3, 2018

5. Watch out for killer gay scarecrows

Comment by Steve — April 3, 2018 @ 11:00 am - April 3, 2018

6. My favorite line about love is from an episode of “Six Feet Under.”

I don’t remember it exactly but an old black man wakes up to his wife dead next to him. At the funeral home he’s talking to the stupid teenage girl in the family about love. He says something like “you kids don’t know what love is. It’s marrying someone then 50 years later, you shit you self in a movie theater and she’s there to help you clean up. That’s love.”

Comment by J- — April 3, 2018 @ 12:19 pm - April 3, 2018

7. Ugh, I think I shall remain a shining and contented example of singularity, though I do currently have my eye on something young and stupid for my next friend with benefits. When in Rome.

Comment by Hanover — April 3, 2018 @ 12:48 pm - April 3, 2018

8. Actually that dialogue makes a pretty good point about the difference between progressives who want all the good stuff but don’t really want to put in the work. They want the government/state to do it or “the rich” while they proclaim their superior compassion and love.

Comment by Rex — April 3, 2018 @ 1:07 pm - April 3, 2018

9. Steve. All I feel is sorry for that man. He was obviously lonely and desperate. Yes, the circumstances are hilarious, but poor, poor man.

Comment by TADFORD2 — April 3, 2018 @ 1:15 pm - April 3, 2018

10. Speaking as a guy who has been in a long-distance relationship for over a year now, I can relate. It’s planning visits and buying bus tickets and budgeting money and communication. And it hasn’t been smooth sailing, circumstances come up that tempt me to walk away. But the difficulties make the good times all the better.

Comment by Sean L — April 4, 2018 @ 7:17 pm - April 4, 2018

11. Sean –

Just got out of that situation. It was fine for a year but round about year 3 with him no closer to moving near me and him not wanting me to move there it was not fun anymore.

Comment by CH — April 5, 2018 @ 12:59 am - April 5, 2018

12. @ CH: We are planning to move in together once I get out of my second undergrad in a couple months. Once I am in grad school or working, the plan is for us to find a place and have him move in with me.

Comment by Sean L — April 5, 2018 @ 5:39 am - April 5, 2018

13. Once I am in grad school or working, the plan is for us to find a place and have him move in with me.

That’s sweet. Hope it works out! Sometimes once the Sturm und Drang in a relationship dissipates, so does the glue that holds everything together. What was once special is now everyday and, not only a little boring, but somewhat irritating as the elements which were once overlooked become more prominent and harder to ignore and thus grinding on the relationship.

Comment by RSG — April 5, 2018 @ 10:22 am - April 5, 2018