Given how crazy U.S. political culture has become – in other words, given that too many of today’s Republicans are not that much better than Democrats, who went insane years ago – it’s a bit hard for some of us to be pleased by any political news, even news of a Republican victory.
Still, let’s all try to be pleased. What’s the best news of the 2014 election? Let us know your thoughts in the comments. For starters:
- Gov. Scott Walker survives again in Wisconsin, by a margin of several points. As the saying goes, “This is what democracy looks like!” 🙂
- Sandra Fluke goes down in California. In Florida, also defeated was the execrable Charlie Crist.
- President Obama provides humor, refusing to give his victorious opponents the traditional congratulations, and seriously claiming that tonight’s election somehow didn’t repudiate him.
- Maryland went GOP, governor-wise. Wow.
- Maybe, just maybe, the silly “War on Wymyn, they’re banning tampons!” shtick is played out? Mark “Uterus” Udall lost in Colorado, and Wendy Davis even lost Texas women by nine points. Attacking the libertarian Koch brothers is another silly Democrat tactic that failed, and is hopefully played-out now.
UPDATES (some from comments or Twitter):
- Congratulations to Mia Love (R – UT), here celebrating with her family:
- At least for now, openly gay Republican Carl DeMaio clings to a 700-vote lead, in CA’s 52nd Congressional district. (50,000 mail ballots remain to be counted.)
- Tim Scott (R – SC) is the first black Senator to be elected from the South since Reconstruction. Congratulations, Tim!