I am not a Trump supporter, but I refuse to become this.
In the last six weeks, the Democrats have demonized the Koch Brothers 117 times on the floor of the United States senate. Clearly, this is not about two businessmen using their fortune to champion libertarian, free market principles… even though the Democrats hate those things. This is about the Democrats needing a demon to drive their dumb, low information, emotion-driven base to the polls.
Obviously, Democrats can’t run on their policies. Obamacare is a disaster. The Chevy Volt is a disaster (and, by the way, Government Motors has been literally killing people and the Obama Regime has been covering it up). The Obama Regime’s “Speak Like a Pompous Idiot and Carry a Tiny Twig” foreign policy is a disaster. Once Democrats get beyond their basic “We’re going to take money away from people you don’t like and give it to you” appeals to the FSA (e.g. the Minimum Wage increase, “Paycheck Protection”), the Democrats don’t have any ideas or successes to run on; and so, they have chosen to make a pair of Libertarian businessmen into demons, and use the awesome power of hate to get their people to the polls.
And Republicans make a mistake if they look at the deranged rants of Harry Reid and say, “Who could possibly believe this crazy sh-t?” Sane people asked the same question in 2012 when Harry Reid was ranting that Mitt Romney didn’t pay his taxes, and the Obama campaign accused Mitt Romney of giving a woman cancer and wanting to outlaw tampons and contraceptives. “Who could possibly believe this crazy sh-t?” we asked.
And then we got our answer: 51% of the electorate bought into the Democrats crazy sh-t.
It worked before it could work again. It helps a lot when the MFM are also in on the act. Just yesterday, the left-wing media was spreading the bald-faced lie that Mitch McConnell said the Demcorats had a “crazy obsession” with equal pay for women. And the MFM will do their best to help the Democrats in 2014; seizing on the gaffes of Republicans and ignoring the outright corruption of Democrats like Mr. Charlie Rangel, Mr. Elijah Cummings, Senator Bob Menendez, and the felonies of Democrats like Leland Yee.
And the Republicans are doing their best to help the Democrats with their strategy of … proposing no policy alternatives, quietly caving to Obama on any potentially contentious issue, and picking unnecessary fights with the conservative wing of the party and, in some cases, even actively helping to advance advance the Democrat “narrative” that Republicans are racist.
The Republicans should have learned in 2012; crazy, angry, and stupid can win elections if it isn’t countered.
We allowed the Eich/Mozilla brouhaha to obscure this, but it addresses the same underlying problem: the fascist intolerance of the “progressive” Left.
Charles Koch: I’m Fighting to Restore a Free Society
Updated April 2, 2014 7:47 p.m. ET
I have devoted most of my life to understanding the principles that enable people to improve their lives. It is those principles—the principles of a free society—that have shaped my life, my family, our company and America itself.
Unfortunately, the fundamental concepts of dignity, respect, equality before the law and personal freedom are under attack by the nation’s own government…[and] we have no choice but to fight for those principles. I have been doing so for more than 50 years, primarily through educational efforts. It was only in the past decade that I realized the need to also engage in the political process.
…In a truly free society, any business that disrespects its customers will fail, and deserves to do so. The same should be true of any government that disrespects its citizens. The central belief and fatal conceit of the current administration is that you are incapable of running your own life, but those in power are capable of running it for you…
More than 200 years ago, Thomas Jefferson warned that this could happen. “The natural progress of things,” Jefferson wrote, “is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground.” He knew that no government could possibly run citizens’ lives for the better. The more government tries to control, the greater the disaster, as shown by the current health-care debacle…
Instead of encouraging free and open debate, collectivists strive to discredit and intimidate opponents. They engage in character assassination. (I should know, as the almost daily target of their attacks.) This is the approach that Arthur Schopenhauer described in the 19th century, that Saul Alinsky famously advocated in the 20th, and that so many despots have infamously practiced…
…I have spent decades opposing cronyism and all political favors, including mandates, subsidies and protective tariffs—even when we benefit from them. I believe that cronyism is nothing more than welfare for the rich and powerful, and should be abolished…
He gives more, including some facts/details. (I’d reprint the article fully, except I haven’t obtained permission.) RTWT.
UPDATE: Also not to be missed is Kevin D. Williamson on The Liberal Gulag.
Welcome to the Liberal Gulag.
That term may be perverse, but it is not an exaggeration. Mr. [Adam] Weinstein [of Mother Jones] specifically called for political activists, ranging from commentators to think-tank researchers, to be locked in cages as punishment for their political beliefs. “Those denialists should face jail,” he wrote. “You still can’t” — banality alert! — “yell ‘fire’ in a crowded theater. You shouldn’t be able to yell ‘balderdash’ at 10,883 scientific journal articles a year.” “Balderdash” — a felony. At the risk of being repetitious, let’s dwell on that for a minute: The Left is calling on people to be prosecuted for speaking their minds regarding their beliefs on an important public-policy question that is, as a political matter, the subject of hot dispute. That is the stuff of Soviet repression.
And much more.
With a cadre of like-minded, wealthy donors, Mr. Soros is dominating the pro-legalization side of the marijuana debate by funding grass-roots initiatives that begin in New York City and end up affecting local politics elsewhere.
Wait a minute, “grass-roots”? I get the pun, but when a billionaire secretly bankrolls groups to push his agenda, isn’t the proper term “astro-turfing”? Anyway:
Through a network of nonprofit groups, Mr. Soros has spent at least $80 million on the legalization effort since 1994…
His spending has been supplemented by [recently-deceased billionaire] Peter B. Lewis…an unabashed pot smoker who channeled more than $40 million…
What is it, with the Democrats/Left giving a pass to all their manipulative billionaires?
Mr. Soros’ Open Society Foundations have annual assets of more than $3.5 billion, a pool from which he can dole out grants to pet projects, according to 2011 tax returns, the most recent on file for his charitable organizations.
David and Charles Koch, the billionaire brothers who often are cited for their conservative influence, had $308 million tied up in their foundation and institute in 2011.
Finally, I may as well state my own view, and readers can agree or disagree. I do oppose prohibition of marijuana for the same reason I oppose prohibition of alcohol: the prohibition doesn’t work and creates more problems than it solves. Having said that, I don’t use the stuff and find its heavy users (or addicts) repellant.
Deranged rants from the Democrat Majority Leader of the United States Senate have become a daily occurrence; and no one on the left has taken Harry Reid aside to discuss his behavior.
- Today (April 2) Harry Reid rants baselessly that the Koch Brothers do not pay taxes.
- Today (April 2) Reid rants that the Koch Brothers “are going to buy America.”
- Yesterday (April 1), Reid rants that the Paul Ryan budget will lead to a “Kochtopia.”
- March 24, Reid rants that the delay in the Ukraine Aide bill is because of the Koch Brothers.
- March 22, Reid decides to spend $3 million on ads attacking the Koch Brothers.
- March 13, Harry Reid rants against the Koch brothers; calls them radical a dozen times in one Senate Floor speech.
- March 11, Harry Reid blames the Koch Brothers for Global Warming.
- March 10, Harry Reid releases fund-raising letter demonizing the Koch Brothers.
- March 4, Harry Reid rants that the Koch Brothers are criminals.
- March 4, Harry Reid rants that the Kich Brother are “Un-American.”
- Reid’s lieutenant, Senator Chuck Schumer, approves of the constant deranged ranting.
There was once a time when this kind of deranged lunacy was confined to whackjob websites like DailyKos and the Democratic Underground. It’s now the Democrat mainstream and is spoken on the floor of the US Senate. It is possible that the Democrat base can no longer distinguish insane behavior from normal.
These items have been all over, and deserve to be noticed here at GayPatriot.
Liberal bias, in media & academia? Why, yes.
- Sharyl Attkisson, the Fast and Furious investigative reporter, found out that her bosses at CBS only loved her when her reporting supported Democrat narratives.
- Juan Williams recently asked out loud, “why do liberals have so much hate for black conservatives?”
More people seeing that the Emperor Has No Clothes? Thankfully, yes.
- Obama is under water on the Ukraine crisis. 42% approve his handling, 43% disapprove.
- While a bipartisan majority support sanctions against Russia, they’re mainly older people, because younger people say no. Among the Obama-voting 35-and-under, 55% are against it.
IRS / Tea Party scandal as real as ever? Yup.
- Great, daily coverage at TaxProf Blog.
- Yes, Lerner targeted the Tea Party, and even what she called “organizations woven by the fabulously rich and hugely influential Koch brothers”. More Koch Derangement Syndrome. Some people are on too much Koch!
- Lerner continued last week to plead the 5th. The IRS will give up all her emails, supposedly; I put it that way because enough time has passed that only God knows what they may have scrubbed.
FROM THE (OTHER) COMMENTS: In the other Koch Derangement Syndrome thread, some fine comments are relevant here.
- runningrn says “The Koch brothers didn’t even crack the top 10 when it came to the top political donors. In fact they are way the heck down the list at number 59…The 6 biggest union donors in American politics gave 15 times more to mostly Democrats…”
- And Annie gives us the WSJ link.
One should ask why the IRS doesn’t target all that union money? Or target, to coin a phrase, “organizations woven by the fabulously rich and hugely influential George Soros”?
AND SOME FOLLOW-UPS:
- Rep. Alan Grayson (D – FL) won’t be charged after allegations that he physically abused his wife. GP talked about it here. The video evidence – which was incomplete (having gaps in it) – did not support Lolita Carson-Grayson’s story. Nonetheless, a judge granted her a restraining order against Rep. Grayson. We’re still waiting for the new feminist campaign, “I BELIEVE YOU, LOLITA!”
- Gary Lyngar answers his son, who had made a splash by claiming “I lost my dad to Fox News”. Hint: The son was about as real and honest with us as you’d expect from a writer who whines about his parent’s politics. As the elder Mr. Lyngar puts it, his son was “dead wrong” and “a lot of it’s his perception of what’s going on and not reality”.
…the New York State Nurses’ Association, the NAACP New York State Conference, and SEIU Local 1199, among others…marched on the soon-to-be-built David H. Koch Center at New York-Presbyterian Hospital, which was funded in part by a $100 million donation…The donation was the largest in the hospital’s history…
The Washington Free Beacon has photos.
So, it isn’t just that lefties are famously stingier than righties in giving to charity. It’s that lefties now *actively fight* righties giving to charity, thus seeking to prevent medical care (for example).
That’s insane, if not evil. Congratulations lefties; you’re at a new low.
Democrats: could you please make up your minds?
Is it cool with you, or not cool, if charges are hurled around that so-and-so is un-American? Are y’all really so unprincipled that your answer shifts wildly, with your own momentary political convenience?
Mediaite goes into a couple of recent examples. Such as: Sen. Harry Reid (D – Nevada), Political Whore and Liar Extraordinaire, proclaiming officially on the floor of the Senate that the Koch brothers are “un-American”, basically because the Democrats don’t like what the Kochs say and do politically (never mind about Free Speech, fully legal political participation, etc.). It comes around 2:20 in Mediaite’s first clip.
Generation Opportunity, “a free-thinking, liberty-loving, national organization of young people”, has set up OptOut.org to let young people know that they needn’t (and probably shouldn’t) sign up for Obamacare. Their current ad for young women:
(Male version, here.)
Now for the ‘media bias’ angle. I learned about this from Yahoo! which, naturally, has titled their article “Creepy Obamacare ad hits college campuses”.
In other words: Even after all the government-spying scandals, Big Government-run health care (that costs a young woman far more than she’ll get from it, despite the fine they’ll extort for her saying ‘no’) still doesn’t strike Yahoo! News as creepy. But ads against it, they’ll suggestively title as ‘creepy’.
FROM THE COMMENTS (thank you Kurt): Get ready for Obama(care) to ask detailed questions about your sex life. Umm…I thought that was only supposed to happen under the Religious Reich Theocracy that the Left always warns us against?
The president’s “reforms” aim to turn doctors into government agents, pressuring them financially to ask questions they consider inappropriate and unnecessary…
Doctors and hospitals who don’t comply with the federal government’s electronic-health-records requirements forgo incentive payments…
…the new requirements are turning it “into an interrogation, and the data will not be confidential.” Lack of confidentiality is what concerned the New York Civil Liberties Union in a 2012 report…
Privacy and confidentiality will just be for the rich:
The administration is ignoring [various] protests from privacy advocates. On Jan. 17, HHS announced patients who want to keep something out of their electronic record should pay cash.
Via Zero Hedge last week.
I’m just a li’l part-time blogger, but in the top 20, I count only one eeeeeevil corporation favoring the GOP…against twelve unions, strongly favoring Democrats. Which party is all about the “big money” again?
ZH has a longer list, wherein you’ll glean these tidbits:
- HRC comes in impressively (I mean it) at number 100, having given $11.9 million; 89% to Democrats.
- The much-pilloried Koch Industries only comes in at number 62, with $17.4 million.
- The much-pilloried NRA only comes in at number 52, with $20.2 million.
- Umm…did I miss Halliburton? Or are they not in the top 100?