The size of the U.S. deficit isn’t the only thing they lie about. Unemployment is another.
Last week, The New York Times trumpeted, Jobs Roar Back With Gain of 287,000 in June, Easing Worry, with the official unemployment rate at 4.9%. Isn’t it wonderful?
“Wow, this one takes my breath away,” said Diane Swonk, an independent economist in Chicago.
Ooh, she’s “independent” – that makes her reaction valid! But here’s the real story.
- The same jobs report has downward-revised the previous months’ numbers (from bad to horrible).
- In the Bush years, the media would treat a jobs number in the 200k range as a crisis.
- The Obama so-called “recovery” is the Weakest. On. Record.
- Most of the jobs created in the Obama years, including the recent jobs report, are part-time and low-paying.
- In the Obama years, tens of millions of Americans have given up even hoping for a job. “Labor force participation” has plummeted to lows not seen since the 1970s.
- If we use the participation rate from early 2009 when Obama took office, the unemployment rate is 11%. (And that’s ignoring under-employment / the part-time jobs.)
- And no, the declining participation isn’t because “the Baby Boomers are retiring”. They’re not retiring. Under Obama, they can’t afford it. They’ve been coming out of retirement, to take those low-paying, part-time Obamajobs from young people.
- Young people face a crisis; many can’t get an entry-level job.
Perhaps this is why President Obama has the highest U.S. suicide rate in 30 years.