President Obama was traveling abroad last week, and, as is his wont, could not resist the opportunity to trash-talk the United States.
“I think the Prime Minister is the first to acknowledge that Malaysia’s still got some work to do. Just like the United States, by the way, has some work to do on these issues. Human Rights Watch probably has a list of things they think we should be doing as a government.”
Yes, Mr. Obama, we get it; you don’t like the United States very much. However, the president is correct that Human Rights are being systematically abused here.
- Political opposition in the United States is subjected to regular, ongoing persecution and harassment by the IRS and other Federal Agencies.
- Free speech is under assault, with some calling for those who disagree with the administration’s policies to be jailed, and others being deprived of their livelihoods for holding views deemed politically incorrect.
- Private property is being seized by Federal Bureaucracies for redistribution to politically-connected cronies.
- Religious persons are being forced to pay for abortions and participate in homosexual marriages, violating their freedom of religious conscience.
- The administration systematically spies on its citizens, collecting massive amounts of private data without disclosure or oversight.
- The administration asserts a unilateral right to target citizens with deadly drone strikes.
So, in fact, Obama isn’t wrong to say that human rights are being violated in the United States; but for the most part, it’s his own Government that is violating them.